Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > The Legend: Jimi Hendrix      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Outdoor2
Msg: 16
view profile
History
The Legend: Jimi HendrixPage 4 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I hate it when they do that. Find every little recording ever made and try to make a buck of it.

Yeah....Mozart, Beethoven, Bach...200 years later are still stars...people still making money hand over fist on their recordings.
Jimi with his flamboyancy electrified (no pun intended) audiences probably to much the same degree as did the above.

What are we to do? Simply expunge recordings that were not approved? If that were so, they're be millions (if not billions) of tape destroyed of numerous artists that have the potential of invigorating new artists to hone their craft.

That live version of the Star Spangled Banner was one of the best political commentaries of it's time.

Agreed...and relevant considering the political climate today.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 17
view profile
History
The Legend: Jimi Hendrix
Posted: 1/23/2010 10:42:13 AM

it's clear that he still had something to offer. (Check out "Band of Gypsies"

This. I will never forget the first time I saw the video of him playing the live concert version of "Machine Gun". Hearing the screaming, note bending solo over the menacing bass-line and the thunderous drum roll made the hair on my arms stand up.

Still does.
 jed456
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2010 5:23:46 PM
One of my favorites of all time.When I listen to axis bold as love I get chills.The man was and is one of the best guitarist of all time.And of course voodoo child slight return Jimi is not playing the guitar he is making it sing.

Anger he smiles tow'ring shiny metallic purple armour.
Queen jealousy, envy waits behind him.
Her fiery green gown sneers at the grassy ground.
Blue are the life giving waters taking for granted,
They quietly understand.

Once happy turquoise armies lay opposite ready,
But wonder why the fight is on.
But they're all, bold as love.
Yeah, they're all bold as love.
Yeah, they're all bold as love.
Just ask the Axis.

My red is so confident he flashes trophies of war
And ribbons of euphoria.
Orange is young, full of daring but very unsteady for the first go 'round.
My yellow in this case is no so mellow.
In fact I'm trying to say it's frightened like me.
And all of these emotions of mine keep holding me
From giving my life to a rainbow like you.
But I'm a yeah, I'm bold as love,
Yeah yeah.

Well, I'm bold, bold as love.
Hear me talkin', girl.
I'm bold as love.
Just ask the Axis.
He knows everything. Yeah, yeah.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2010 7:40:25 PM

And choked on his own vomit cause the Ambulance drivers strapped him down.

Well, there's some unsettling evidence that he may have in fact been murdered. Some people are stepping forward now with some interesting information. We'll probably never know for sure, but these people are all pointing towards this as a homicide.

The doctor who tended to Jimi Hendrix on the night he died in 1970 says it is "plausible" that the iconic guitarist was murdered.

John Bannister was speaking in relation to claims in a new book written by Hendrix's former roadie that his manager Mike Jeffery had had the star killed.

In his book 'Rock Roadie', James 'Tappy' Wright says that Jeffery admitted having Hendrix murdered shortly before he himself died in an aircraft accident.

He alleges that Jeffery hired a gang to break into Hendrix's Notting Hill hotel room and force sleeping pills and wine down his throat.

Bannister, who was the on-call registrar at the now defunct St Mary Abbots Hospital in Kensington on September 18, the day of Hendrix's death, has now backed up the roadie's theory, saying it: "sounded plausible because of the volume of wine" found in Hendrix's lungs and on his body.

"The amount of wine that was over him was just extraordinary. Not only was it saturated right through his hair and shirt but his lungs and stomach were absolutely full of wine. I have never seen so much wine," The Times reports Bannister as saying.

"We had a sucker that you put down into his trachea, the entrance to his lungs and to the whole of the back of his throat. We kept sucking him out and it kept surging and surging. He had already vomited up masses of red wine and I would have thought there was half a bottle of wine in his hair. He had really drowned in a massive amount of red wine."

Wright says that Jeffery told him that Hendrix was "worth more to him dead than alive", and had filed a $2m life insurance policy on the guitarist shortly before his death.

http://www.nme.com/news/jimi-hendrix/46213

Jeffery had crippling debts. There were huge expenses from building Hendrix’s Electric Lady studio in New York, including a $400,000 loan from Warners; Hendrix’s first manager had won a court case granting him the next album and a share of all profits; he owed $200,000 in back taxes; and he had recently paid £100,000 to buy out Hendrix’s co-manager Chas Chandler (Chandler, reveals Wright for the first time, was livid with Hendrix for bedding his wife).

Yet Hendrix’s contract with Jeffery was coming up for renewal. The two men had clashed over not just money but musical direction, too. In 1967 Jeffery had disastrously booked Hendrix as support to the Monkees; the year after that he tried to dissuade Hendrix from recording a double album (Electric Ladyland); and in 1969 he tried to make Hendrix go back to using white musicians in his band. According to several sources during his final weeks in London, Hendrix was determined to change management.

Jeffery would have been desperate. He couldn’t afford to lose his cash cow. But according to Wright, Jeffery had one last get-out-of-jail-free card. Jeffery had taken out a $2 million insurance policy on Hendrix’s life. That was standard practice for a manager, but right now it meant Hendrix was worth more to Jeffery dead than alive.

It wouldn’t have taken much imagination to come to this conclusion, either. As a young man Jeffery had profited from two mysteriously well-timed fires, one at a nightclub and another at a coffee bar he owned in Newcastle. The insurance payments allowed him to set up management of the Animals and open the Club A-Go- Go for them to play in.

After Hendrix’s death, Jeffery was able to pay off his back taxes, buy out Hendrix’s father’s share in the Electric Lady studios, and buy himself a house in Woodstock. And of course he continued to cash in on his client’s legacy. In 1973 he even sent a virtual Hendrix out on tour — showing a film of Hendrix in concert, with support acts appearing beforehand.

So Jeffery had motive and ability. Had he the opportunity? No one knows where Jeffery was that night. Days later, he was tracked down to Majorca, where he had a nightclub. He expressed surprise, claiming not even to have heard of Hendrix’s death.

As to the sequence of events that led up to Hendrix’s death, accounts are famously conflicting. The authority is Tony Brown, whose exhaustive book The Final Days of Jimi Hendrix, came out in 1997. The ambulancemen and police who found Hendrix are interviewed. All concur that they found the door to the flat open, which suggests a hasty exit. Hendrix was fully clothed, which doesn’t sound as if he deliberately took pills to sleep. And he was “covered in vomit, tons of it over the pillow, black and brown it was”.

The doctor who examined Hendrix discovered copious amounts of wine in Hendrix’s lungs, but strangely little had had time to be absorbed into his bloodstream — a powerful indication of foul play. Dr John Bannister told The Times in 1993 that by the time his body reached the hospital, “Hendrix had been dead for some time, without a doubt, hours rather than minutes.”

This much we do know. The medical evidence is at least consistent with Hendrix having been murdered. Jeffery had ability and opportunity. He behaved oddly after the death. And if we believe, as many have attested, that Hendrix wanted to change management, then he also had motive.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6625403.ece

Every time I was with a woman I thought I could love, I found she was only with me to get to Jimi.
(conversation with Alan Douglas)

I was in London the night of Jimi’s death and together with some old friends …we went round to Monika’s hotel room, got a handful of pills and stuffed them into his mouth …then poured a few bottles of red wine deep into his windpipe. I had to do it. Jimi was worth much more to me dead than alive. That son of a **** was going to leave me. If I lost him, I’d lose everything.

I had to do it, Tappy. You understand, don’t you? I had to do it. You know damn well what I’m talking about.
(conversation with James ‘Tappy’ Wright)

- Mike Jeffery

The amount of wine his girlfriend at the time said they drank was one bottle - shared. This was consumed hours before he died, and the low blood alcohol level found at time of death seems to support this. His last meal was a tuna sandwich.

What doesn't make sense is the incredible amount of red wine found in and on his body.

There was certainly enough of a motive to get rid of him, people have been killed for far less.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:51:25 PM
I wonder that too....these days with the tabs and the advancement in music to the general public as far as the ability to play, thanks to the pioneers..many can play better as fas the masses back then...

Jimi played behind the scenes for a lot of years...studio guitarist, etc...I remember back in the '60's and early '70's...the average guitaist who played at home...could just play cords....few could play lead and even in famous bands the lead was mediocre...

Exactly what came over him to have the style he had...we might never know, because he in a sense was the original...though he had a lot of inspiration from others. The old blues legends...didn't play much with a pick...they used their fingers. which might answer part of his style to use harmonics with two strings...

He could play with using cords and lead back and forth and almost together...he played so much when younger, I don't think he had to even think about where he was on the guitar....he felt it and went there....like second nature....

From talking to people he was always searching for something new, maybe that is part of it..why he got where he did.....About the time he died, he was ready for a new frontier.....but people wanted to attach him to his old songs...so, he was ready, but were the people....?

He revolutionalised more than just the music....his clothes were ahead of its time...later in the '70's you saw more reference to feminine hint attire in the male bands...his hair for a black, was different....just a touch of straightener, and in the hippy style....

Some Blacks were critical of him playing white type rock, etc......he went in the military and was a good soldier, not pressing the issues, etc.

These days, there are people who can play his music....but he originated it...I think he got so good and just played what he felt....

I was part of that era, younger than him, but was there when he came out...and feel a part is missing, but still there...

One of a kind , the original.....I have no idea what he would have done next......I think as times changed later he would have put it to rest as far as the public...things were different then....times changed...the meaning changed, gone were the messages...I quit for that reason.

I think he would be happy just jamming with friends....maybe thats what he's doing now.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/18/2010 4:00:29 PM

Buddy Guy, Howlin Wolf, Lightnin' Hopkins
I don't look at him as god...yes, these were a few of his inspirations....but a few would surprise you and they rarely never mention them.

But, these people also had influences....mostly people feel for someone of their generation, because it was them that moved him, and now Jimi is inspiring a new generation....

Will there be another great inspiration to come along....maybe....but one thing about the old days to which he caught the tail end of.....people from those era's experienced life from a different angle than today....the blues people experienced the real blues, etc....things had more meaning...etc.

Inner soul, experiences, the blues and, meaning......it will likely happen..but be different, but fit it, because the people have changed to....will it be like it was...I don't think so....but it might....times might change again....I feel it coming, but don't know when.
 TicketToMayhem
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2010 6:27:31 PM
Just heard the new single they put out at Wal-mart, AWESOME stuff. Its ashame he wasn't around longer. He was just getting started. I'm also quite excited about Eddie Kramer coming in and remixing the albums again, after the flat feel the other editions had.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2010 5:30:50 AM
Well, about forty years after his death, there's an interesting article about the man on Vanity Fair's website.

I remember walking to high school that day, listening to my AM pocket radio, when they announced the news....

One great thing this article does is show Hendrix in a way not many have choosen to portray him - as a human being.

Remembering Jimi Hendrix’s Vulnerable Side
by Sheila Weller September 17, 2010,

Yet as lionized as he’s been for four decades now by Wayne’s World–y suburban boys, and as clearly as he’s considered one of the greatest guitarists ever, he’s also been a bit misunderstood. History has forgotten—or never noticed—his vulnerability.

Exactly a year before Jimi’s death, when I was a barely-out-of-college girl with friends who knew the late star, I spent a weekend talking to him at his rented house in upstate New York. The resulting article I wrote for Rolling Stone wound up as a key part of Hendrix lore because it was the only print article that portrayed his fragility. (His TV analogue was on the****Cavett Show, when he walked, pigeon-toed, to his seat and then coughed and apologized in every other sentence.)

My piece, Hendrix biographers Harry Shapiro and Caesar Glebbeek wrote in their 1995 book, Electric Gypsy, “leads up to one of [Jimi’s] most famous press statements: ‘I don’t want to be a clown any more. I don’t want to be a rock ’n’ roll star.’” (Seeing that quote in my manuscript, Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner chose the first of the two sentences as the piece’s headline. Later, Joni Mitchell, in an interview with the Los Angeles Times’s chief music critic Robert Hilburn, would also note, on the basis of their friendship, “Jimi was a very genuine person, but doing all this theatrical stuff was humiliating to him.”) My little brush with history was something I hardly thought about for a very long time. But, because the people of my generation are now clutching onto our self-anointed specialness like the sides of a runaway lifeboat, it’s felt increasingly significant in the last few years—magical, even.

The things that surprised me about Jimi a month after Woodstock are even more surprising now.

(1) He was little, almost frail. The iconic fish-eye-lens shot of Jimi on the cover of Are You Experienced? made him seem quite tall. In truth, Jimi was 5’11”, had a slight build, and seemed dangerously thin. (“Jimi, you never eat,” worried Linda, his videographer at the time and the girlfriend of his new musical collaborator, Juma Lewis, who would later change his name to Sultan. When I contacted my friend Linda recently, she said, “That’s right, he never ate. But at least he had the sense to take vitamins with his morning tequila.”)

(2) He was self-effacing and insecure. The biggest rock star in the world kept apologizing for mumbling, kept rephrasing his sentences as if he weren’t articulate enough, didn’t think Bob Dylan remembered their one meeting, and, during a rehearsal with his new band (two Memphis blues musicians, Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell, and the progressive jazzman Juma), had asked Juma, in reference to serious avant-garde musicians, “Tell me honestly; what do those guys think of me? Do they think I’m jiving?”

(3) He was a fussbudget. “I’m like a clucking old grandmother,” said the young man who famously immolated his guitar onstage, as he walked around neatening things in his house and emptying ashtrays.

(4) He had unexpectedly un-rock-’n’-roll taste in music: He proudly brandished the albums of Schoenberg and Marlene Dietrich at a time when Zeppelin and the Stones and Janis Joplin were all the rage.

It sounds self-evident and lachrymose to say that the decent, deeply original young man I met that weekend was too delicate for the icon status he’d gained (and sought), and for the sloppy, naïvely unprotected way rock stars indulged their appetites in those days. (Which is not to say the rest of us weren’t prone to excess.) But it’s true. A year later, when word came of his death, it seemed belatedly obvious that he hadn’t been long for this world when I’d met him just a year before.

It saddens me that we can’t see beyond the “disgrace” of his overdose and the corny image (which he told me he longed to retire) of the satyr-guitarist feigning sex with his instrument—that we can’t get to re-know him. Drug-taking notwithstanding, life back then had an innocence to it, a constant search for an epiphany, and, though the term didn’t exist yet, a multicultural idealism that cannot be described now without sounding silly and nostalgic. And Jimi Hendrix personified this entire—dare I say it—heady sensibility.

When I met him, he had just named his new band Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, and in the house during my visit he and his group were playing what he called “cosmic music.” Later in his car, with our Hair-cast mélange—Jimi, Chinese-American Linda, Juma in his African threads, the English avant-garde pianist Michael Ephron, a beautiful blue-eyed black girl named Betty who practiced Islam and whose brother went to Amherst, and the little blonde Jewish writer from Beverly Hills—all flashed the peace sign (yes, really—the peace sign!) to passing cars full of an analogous collection of wandering souls.

Peel back the many years of deserved parody and understand: this was America, where a Seattle street urchin who’d used a broom as an imaginary guitar had become a paratrooper all set to fight in Vietnam, a chitlin-circuit sideman, and then a psychedelic superstar—all by the tender age of 25. There was an awesome lesson in that sweeping journey: it was a sweet time and he was a sweet man, as awed by what he had helped create as everyone around him was. In the jeweled, Moroccan journal in which I saw him take constant, feverish notes in that tender, neat calligraphy of his, Jimi had just composed a little poem about Woodstock, which Charles Cross, the best of the Hendrix biographers, later obtained and reprinted in his excellent 2005 book, Room Full of Mirrors.

It read:

500,000 halos outshined the mud and history
We washed and drank in God’s tears of joy
And for once, and for everyone, the truth was not still a mystery.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/09/remembering-jimi-hendrixs-vulnerable-side.html

Kind of fascinating to see the "other side" of the man, that often gets lost in this roomful of mirrors we call rock history, isn't it ?

Of course, that still leaves some room for those stories that just make you go "hmmmmmm".

In a story published last month in the London Observer, writer Keith Altham remembered Cream bringing Hendrix onstage to jam at a central London gig.

Clapton walked off in the middle of the song, Altham said, and was visited backstage by Chandler.

"You never told me he was that good," Clapton said, using an unprintable qualifier with his adjective.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entertainment/Surviving+Jimi+Hendrix+Experience/3548815/story.html

Considering Clapton and Cream's talent (and status at the time) that's perhaps one of the best compliments you could pay to an "unknown" guitarist, I'd say.
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/21/2010 9:35:20 PM
I was just listening to "Are You Experienced" today. I don't think he would have achieved his sound, and written all those incredible songs, without first being experienced. Simply an amazingly talented man. Me, I often tend to listen to Mitchell's drumming.

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2010 11:01:12 PM
I actually saw Randy play in Montreal, when he was just about to release his first LP, loooong ago. The problem with that show was that he was billed as a Hendrix tribute act - and about a few songs into the show he ripped off the wig and make-up and started doing Randy Hansen.

Good stuff, but the audience was expecting "Purple Haze" - not "Champagne and Cocaine" . I actually have that LP, btw.

Let's say he didn't exactly wow the crowd that night, not for lack of any talent....but for lack of "Hendrix" music at a Hendrix tribute show.

I still have some "Hansen Bucks" he threw out into the crowd, at another show at a smaller venue.

Montreal's got it's own version of him, a man called Frank Marino (of Mahogany Rush fame). That was the first rock concert I ever saw, at about fifteen years old. The rumor going around was that Frank dropped some acid, and somehow Jimi's soul worked his way into his body....or something like that.

Hey....it was 1972.

Many of your fans know the story behind how you got into music while being treated for an LSD addiction at the age of 13. However, I've only read one piece that talked about how deeply spiritual you became at that time too.

Frank – Well, there were actually a lot of pieces about it, but as you well know, this type of subject usually gets a very short attention span in the mainstream press. Consequently, that’s why you have Christian labels and Christian publications now. You’re too young to imagine, but I can’t imagine that in the 70’s there would have been Christian labels and publications. Even the word “Christian” was considered something uncool. At the time I took quite a bit of flack for that, especially in the early to mid 70’s. Music was just coming out of the 60’s and historically, during that time, the big trip was to become a Buddhist or something, to follow Indian culture. The Beatles went to see the Mah Haraja and all of a sudden everybody became a Hindu. So to be a rock and roll musician playing psychedelic music, which was basically 60’s style music, talking about Christian stuff left me pretty alone back then. Even though I did talk about it quite a bit, and always alluded to it through album covers and lyrics, it was played down quite a bit in the mainstream press. That’s probably why you never heard of it.

http://christianmusic.about.com/od/interviewsmz/a/aafmarino205int.htm

http://www.mahoganyrush.com/

Second row, center, and I got most of my hearing back about a day later.....

I guess you can say I'm a long time Hendrix fan.
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/28/2010 12:01:26 PM
I saw Frank Marino here in ATl back sometime in the 70s. Don't remember the year. Agora Ballroom, IIRC. Damn, he was good.

Also dig Robin Trower. Was at Goodstock in WV back in 2007 and a guy 2 tents over was playing "Bridge of Sighs" and Sky Saxon wandered down and sat down and rolled a couple. Good afternoon. Sky's band didn't know "Pushin' Too Hard"; unbelievable. I offered to teach them but it came to naught.
 mrcs84
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2010 1:02:15 AM
I will grant that Hendrix was revolutionary, but for him to be anywhere near the top 10 is pretty asinine IMO. His technique was straight up sloppy (even worse that Jimmy Page), and I personally think that no self-respecting musician should have issues reading music.

I look at guitarists like Satriani, Jarzombek, Petrucci, Malmsteem, Di Meola, and a myriad of others, and I can't picture Hendrix even remotely in their realms of greatness. I see Hendrix more for his value as an entertainer and less of a guitar great. Of course, I'm thinking in more of terms of virtuosity and mastering of the instrument.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2010 8:59:15 PM

I will grant that Hendrix was revolutionary, but for him to be anywhere near the top 10 is pretty asinine IMO. His technique was straight up sloppy (even worse that Jimmy Page), and I personally think that no self-respecting musician should have issues reading music.

It depends on your definition of musicianship, basically.

In the end, Hendrix's music will be listened to for many years to come, and influence still more artists - some not even born yet.

He essentially created what we've come to refer to as heavy metal, in the popular sense, all by himself.

He "blew away" some of the top stars of the time, as an unknown guitarist, especially in England. That was because of his musicianship, showmanship, and the "total package" that he presented to his listeners both live and on records.

How many guitarists could take a Dylan song, and make it their own ?

Bob Dylan talks about Jimi Hendrix
The below is from a handwritten two pages by Bob Dylan for a 1988
N.Y.C. Hendrix exhibit .

"It's always nice when another performer takes one of your songs & does it. Usually someone has his own point of view on things & the lyrics correspond to what he's thinking, in some kind of way & the two meet up.

My songs were not written with the idea in mind that anyone else would sing them, they were written for me to play live & that is the short of end of it.

I knew Jimi slightly before he became a big star, never saw him much after that. Naturally there was a strong connection because we came from the same time, similar environments & had more or less the same likes & dislikes, attitudes & experiences.

When i first heard Jimi, he was basically a blues player but unlike-everybody else outside of the old-authentic guys, he was young & he was the real thing.

My songs are different & I don't expect others to make attempts to sing them because you have to get somewhat inside & behind them & it's hard enough for me to do it sometimes & then obviously you have to be in the right frame of mind. But even then there would be a vague value to it because nobody breathes like me so theycouldn't be expected to portray the meaning of a certain phrase in the correct way without bumping into other phrases & altering the mood, changing the understanding & just giving up so that they then become only verses strung together for no apparent reason, patter for a performer to kill time, take up space, giving a heartless rendition of what was it to begin with.

Jimi knew my songs were not like that. He sang them exactly the way they were intended to be sung & he played them the same way. He played them the way I would have done them if I was him. Never thought too much about it at the time, but now that years have gone by, I see that the message must have been his message thru & thru. Not that I could ever articulate the message that well myself, but in hearing Jimi cover it, I realize he must've felt it pretty deeply inside & out & that somewhere back there his soul & my soul were on the same desert.

I can't speak as a musician but as a songwriter. It's always a humbling feeling to know that other musicians like your stuff, especially if you really respect them. Audiences & critics give important feedback, but there's nothing like another performer doing what you're doing, to let you know if you're doing it well or not, if you're cutting thru, that maybe it really is worth all the time & trouble.

In all my years of being on stage, it still means more to me what other musicians & singers think & feel about my work than anybody else. Jimi was a great artist, I wished he would've lived, but he got sucked under & that's been the downfall of a lot of us. I feel he had his time & his place & he paid a price he didn't have to pay. It's not a wonder to me that he recorded my songs, but rather that he recorded so few of them because they were all his."

Bob Dylan
Copyright © 1988 Bob Dylan Special Rider Music

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=418329871&blogId=437797271#ixzz12OcVrdlw

That's a pretty incredible statement for a legendary songwriter to make, don't you think ?

I look at guitarists like Satriani, Jarzombek, Petrucci, Malmsteem, Di Meola, and a myriad of others, and I can't picture Hendrix even remotely in their realms of greatness. I see Hendrix more for his value as an entertainer and less of a guitar great. Of course, I'm thinking in more of terms of virtuosity and mastering of the instrument.

Without Hendrix ? Most of your list of "greats" wouldn't perhaps even be around today, and even they place Hendrix in a very special place musically.

Probably no Joe Satriani, at least as a guitarist.

Joe Satriani: how Jimi Hendrix changed my life

Later that evening, I had to tell my parents. We were a large family of seven. Dinner was progressing normally, the usual conversations, until I said basically the same thing I had told my coach: 'Jimi Hendrix died today and I'm going to devote my life to playing the electric guitar.' There was a long moment of awkward silence, as you might expect, which was followed by a lot of lively discussion.

"My family was sort of used to me saying crazy things, but this time I think everybody knew I meant it; that I had actually decided on a course for my life, so much so that my older sister, Carol, who had just started teaching art in school, said that she would donate her first paycheck towards getting me an electric guitar so I could begin my new life as a musician."

You would think that my parents would have tried to stop me, but they seemed to realize that my dedication to the guitar was unstoppable. And it all came from Hendrix. I even had a ritual: I would go into my room, light a candle to get into my 'Jimi Hendrix vibe' and I would practice and practice and practice. Before long, I grew to love the work. I loved that playing the guitar wasn't easy. It was pain, but it was my pain. And then it became joy. My joy.

"Here's something weird though: I loved Jimi's music so much that I would never perform it for people. Throughout my teens and playing in various bands, I refused to play Hendrix songs. I know that sounds strange, but Jimi's music was so special to me that it was like works of art that shouldn't be touched or altered. I didn't want to defile his magic in any way."

"I've picked apart Jimi's music and analyzed it so much over the years, and there's still things he did that astound and mystify me. When I watch footage of him playing at the Fillmore East, when he's playing Machine Gun, I'm blown away by his musical choices. And that's the thing: it wasn't about his gear, his guitar, it wasn't about what mic he was singing into it, it wasn't about anything but his own brilliance.

"I'm pretty sure you could have handed him any guitar and any amp and he would've blown the roof off the place no matter what. His impulses, his intuition, what he did one second to the next, how he moved his hands, knowing to play this note after that note…it was deep.

-Joe Satriani

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/joe-satriani-how-jimi-hendrix-changed-my-life-220389

Di Meola ?

Go over to YouTube :

al di meola in japan at a Jimi Hendrix tribute/with gumbi

Yngwie Malmsteen: ?

Jimi Hendrix was your inspiration to play the guitar?

Yngwie Malmsteen: Ok, to make this so it's proper, what happened was, I was the youngest kid in my family. My older brother and sister were really good musicians. And they started playing at a very early age. So, my brother played piano, drums, guitar, bass, accordion, everything. My sister played very good piano, sang. She still sings really good. She plays classical flute, in an orchestra, and all that stuff.

So, my mom really wanted me to be a musician. She gave me a guitar on my fifth birthday but I didn't start playing till I was seven. And the reason I wanted to start playing was because they showed on the news, "Today, Jimi Hendrix died." It was September 18, 1970. Then they showed him setting his guitar on fire at Monterey. I didn't hear any music, I just saw this guy burning his f++++ guitar, man. And I said, "That is soooo cool, man." So I took the guitar off the wall and started to play 'cause I wanted to learn. Then eventually I got into Deep Purple and that was the biggest influence.

Is that and the Deep Purple influence where the fascination with the Fender Stratocaster came from?

YM: Well the first time I saw Jimi Hendrix, you know, you've seen that Monterey guitar-burning clip, right?

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/001060.html

Petrucci ?

If I had to describe this show in a word, it would be UNBELIEVABLE. John Petrucci, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani were all awesome. They all blew me away. This was my first time seeing Petrucci and Vai, and my fourth time seeing Satriani. Konocti Harbor is a great venue. I had front row seats, but when I looked back behind me, I didn't see a bad seat anywhere. I was sitting just to the right of center stage. John Petrucci's mike stand was set up right in front of me. When Steve Vai came out, his bassist (Billy Sheehan) was right in front of me, and then Stu Hamm was right in front of me during Joe Satriani's set. The show started with John Petrucci.

The house lights went down and I heard Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner from Woodstock blaring through the speakers. Petrucci and his band walked out on stage as Hendrix's music was fading out. Petrucci played the ending of the Star Spangled Banner on his guitar, and then went into his set.

http://www.satriani.com/perl/2004/review-show-all?by=gig&key=81

And there's an AMAZING Hendrix tribute show on tour now, that I MAY go see, if I can get tickets.

Featured artists performing music associated with the legacy of Jimi Hendrix include some of the best known and highly regarded names in contemporary rock and blues including Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Susan Tedeschi, Robert Randolph, Jonny Lang, Steve Vai, Los Lobos’ David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas, Eric Johnson, Ernie Isley, Living Colour, Chris Layton of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble and The Slide Brothers a/k/a Chuck and Darick Campbell of Sacred Steel.

In terms of format, the tour offers multiple opportunities for performers and audiences to witness unique collaborations such as Steve Vai performing with Living Colour, as well as the tour’s artists performing their favorite Hendrix signature songs including “Little Wing,” “Fire,” “Purple Haze,” “Voodoo Child (Slight Return),” “Crosstown Traffic” and many others. As has been the case with previous Experience Hendrix outings, special guests are expected to sit in at many of the dates, making the concerts all that much more memorable for both new and veteran Hendrix fans. Past special guests have included Paul Rodgers, Joe Satriani, Hubert Sumlin, Buddy Guy, Carlos Santana, Robby Krieger and others.

Notes Experience Hendrix Tour producer John McDermott, “The line-up for this tour reflects the breadth of Jimi’s ongoing influence that reaches down through the generations. The guests that have been attracted to participate are enthusiastic about the proposition of performing with their counterparts. That mindset underscores the fact that the Experience Hendrix tour is all about musical camaraderie and the recognition that Jimi Hendrix, undeniably, casts the longest shadow in the realm of great music and great musicians.“

http://www.experiencehendrixtour.com/tour.php
 RockinDaze
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/14/2010 9:56:13 PM

The house lights went down and I heard Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner from Woodstock blaring through the speakers.

FYI During Jimi's infamous 'Star Spangled Banner' at Woodstock most of the fans had already left. I saw the footage. He still played his heart out. A true lover of his art.
 AnotherPinHead
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/15/2010 11:52:08 AM

I look at guitarists like Satriani, Jarzombek, Petrucci, Malmsteem, Di Meola, and a myriad of others, and I can't picture Hendrix even remotely in their realms of greatness.

It's taken me two days to pick myself up off the floor after reading that sentence. In particular the inclusion of Yngwie Malmsteem. I don't think I've read a funnier thing in my entire life. Since I'm 51 and a voracious reader that's saying something.

For your viewing pleasure, your new God:

http://videosift.com/video/Yngwie-Malsteens-Super-Amazing-Guitar-God-Lesson

He taught God how to play.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/15/2010 12:39:05 PM
Everybody is picking on this poor guy. But I remember my daughters claiming that the Spice Girls were waaaaay better singers than Aretha Franklin. It's just the foolishness of youth and everyone has to go through it.
 mrcs84
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2010 4:46:38 AM
It's just the foolishness of youth and everyone has to go through it.

Or it's just the fact that people have this tendency to think that the pioneers of a genre can never be touched. I have no issue with stripping an artist of their legendary status when determining their greatness, or at least their virtuosity.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/18/2010 7:30:48 AM
Martin Scorsese made a series on Rock and Roll for PBS a few years ago. This is from that:

Jeff Beck was feeling on top of the world - lead guitarist for the Yardbirds; hailed for his virtuosity everywhere. He went out to hear the latest hot guitarist everyone was talking about at a local club. One evening of listening to Hendrix and he couldn't pick up a guitar for a year.
 AnotherPinHead
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/18/2010 9:01:43 AM

Or it's just the fact that people have this tendency to think that the pioneers of a genre can never be touched. I have no issue with stripping an artist of their legendary status when determining their greatness, or at least their virtuosity.

Works for me, but you lose all credibility as the one to bring them down a notch or two when you use a hack poseur like Yngwie as your stripping tool. Maybe you could suggest someone who's familiar with the concepts of melody and rhythm? That overdubbed spoof link I provided earlier is just as funny without any overdubbing!

Since we're trying to tear down Gods I might add that the next time Al DiMeola plays something melodic, something that a non-medicated, non-musician would actually want to listen to, might be the first time he's ever done so. I haven't listened to all his extensive catalog, but life is short and the handful of discs I have listened didn't give me much hope.

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 10:26:27 AM

I have no issue with stripping an artist of their legendary status when determining their greatness, or at least their virtuosity.

One also has to consider things like that artist's impact on the world when they were present, and (especially in the case of Hendrix) the impact on his peers. People like Clapton and Beck were guitar gods, rock and roll legends. They were sought out for interviews, they had groupies galore, and just the simple act of walking down the street could get you mobbed by adoring crowds.

Then, almost like the movie Amadeus, this total unknown walks into the room, and you suddenly realize you aren't as great as you thought you were. That's the key here, to understanding Hendrix's impact on rock music.

As Halftime mentioned, Beck stops playing guitar for a year. Clapton walks off stage muttering " You didn't tell me how %$%$%$%$% good he was ! "

Chris Squire has this great clip on YouTube about meeting Hendrix very early on in England. He walks in to see The Experience rehearsing, and Hendrix still teaching the bass line to Purple Haze to Noel Redding. He's about to perform at this theatre, and Hendrix is on the same bill. He looks out in the crowd, and sees pretty much every single one of Britain's top musicians out there. the Stones, Beatles, Clapton, etc...

He sits on a piano , the only place he can find, and watches both the show and the reaction of rock's royalty to it. They are all , like the audience, overwhelmed by what they see in front of them.

I can't think of any other unknown artist that's done something like that, honestly.
 mrcs84
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 1:16:26 PM
I would add that his death has a lot of influence on his reputation. I surely don't think Tupac and Biggie were as good then as a lot of the rappers today are now. And it's also interesting to see what the greats of their time are doing now. I mean you look at people King Crimson, Rush, and Metallica for instance, and people love to talk about how much their old stuff is better than their new stuff. Some of the veterans were out there huge in their day, but even with them making new music, they have pretty much fallen into obscurity. It puts new meaning to quitting while you're ahead.

People have this slavish devotion to what they first liked, and anything that even remotely strays from that seems is automatically not [as] good. How many of you older generation people (or people in your social circles) will tout how much you love bands like Lead Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Rush, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and the other acts that came out of the 60s, and are quick to dismiss any of the newer acts? It was an amazing era for the evolution of music. But it's definitely not the end-all-be-all. Quite frankly, I've heard "Stairway to Heaven," "Hey Jude," and "Voodoo Child" so many times, I could puke.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/18/2010 1:44:40 PM
I agree.

The 60's are definitely the most over rated years for music. It would help your point though if four of the six acts you named weren't bands from the 70's, not the 60's.

Hendrix wasn't very popular in the 60's though - his legend has been kept alive mainly by guitar players. At the height of his "fame" while alive he opened for the Monkees.
 mrcs84
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 3:04:11 PM

It would help your point though if four of the six acts you named weren't bands from the 70's, not the 60's.

Actually 2 of the 6 (rush and sabbath), not that it really matters.

First and second albums for Zeppelin came out in 69, and seeing how both of them were multi-platinum, i would say that they came in strong.
Pink Floyd put out 4 albums in the 60s, but didn't really start to flourish until Dark Side of the Moon. However, that's still kinda moot, IMO.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2010 2:56:44 AM

I would add that his death has a lot of influence on his reputation.. I mean you look at people King Crimson, Rush, and Metallica for instance, and people love to talk about how much their old stuff is better than their new stuff. Some of the veterans were out there huge in their day, but even with them making new music, they have pretty much fallen into obscurity. It puts new meaning to quitting while you're ahead.

Well, many musicians die (some quite young), and it does work a bit like a fly trapped in amber - you are preserved in a frozen state, and unable to ruin your legacy. I'll give you that.

On one hand, at fifty you won't be writing/performing the same things you typically wrote at twenty.

As for Hendrix's popularity, you have to also understand just how quickly he came and went and place it in context.

From start to finish, he was in the mainstream public eye for only roughly four years - maximum. In terms of his age, that spanned his life from age twenty-three to twenty-seven.

He was also starting out at a time of massive competition from other established rock groups, and major upcoming ones. Those were his direct competitors in the marketplace.

He sold perhaps ten million records while alive, and now sells perhaps three or four million a year. He only released four albums, containing forty six tracks. He had only one Top Ten hit (All Along The Watchtower). Black radio stations wouldn't play his "too white" music, and most mainstream white ones wouldn't play his "too black", hippy music.

The number of official live dates he did, between October 1966 - Sept 1970 ?

1966 - 2
1967 -29
1968 - 49
1969 - 43
1970 - 34
www.angelfire.com/indie/jypsyeye/Hendrix_CollectorsList.pdf

157 total - and a few of those are live TV and radio shows.

That's four years total time, roughly, and yet so much accomplished as a legacy.

People have this slavish devotion to what they first liked, and anything that even remotely strays from that seems is automatically not [as] good.

There's certainly a part of that that's true, for some.

How many of you older generation people (or people in your social circles) will tout how much you love bands like Lead Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Rush, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and the other acts that came out of the 60s, and are quick to dismiss any of the newer acts?

Dismiss ? Again, some will. Sometimes it's simply because how fractured the music scene has become.

I can see the talent in a Radiohead, Phish, or even Eminem (especially with the last CD). One of the problems discovering new artists is simply the massive fracture of the marketplace and huge volume of acts. Unlike in my time, there's little radio exposure for these people, and getting to hear them live is not often easy.

Getting back to this :

It was an amazing era for the evolution of music. But it's definitely not the end-all-be-all. Quite frankly, I've heard "Stairway to Heaven," "Hey Jude," and "Voodoo Child" so many times, I could puke.

The key here is listening to someone that was around before then, and who experienced the change. I do remember what radio and TV sounded like before the Beatles arrived, don't forget.

The rock and roll period had died (except for it's influence on those musicians who were about to start changing music), and it was a rather insipid period of music for younger ears.

Billboard Top 100 - 1962
01. Stranger On The Shore » Mr. Acker Bilk
02. I Can't Stop Loving You » Ray Charles
03. Mashed Potato Time » Dee Dee Sharp
04. Roses Are Red » Bobby Vinton
05. The Stripper » David Rose
06. Johnny Angel » Shelley Fabares
07. The Loco-Motion » Little Eva
08. Let Me In » Sensations
09. The Twist » Chubby Checker
10. Soldier Boy » Shirelles
11. Hey! Baby » Bruce Channel
12. The Wanderer » Dion

Quite frankly, I've heard "Stairway to Heaven," "Hey Jude," and "Voodoo Child" so many times, I could puke.

But you never heard it (thanks to your age) in the proper context of what came before it - and how different they really were when you placed it against what came before (or hadn't yet come before).

Most of that music, if you were lucky enough to have a Top Ten radio station in your town, was "formula" type dance music, typically written by professional songwriters and performed by people hired to do it. The market was heavily racially segregated, and crossover artists were exceptionally rare.

If you were lucky (I never was), you'd huddle under your blanket in bed with that transistor radio pressed up against one ear and (barely) hear some of the great music coming out of black radio stations - and a lot of static.

You would hear Broadway stuff, as well as film musical scores played on regular AM radio - no FM.

TV (when it was on the few channels available in black and white) showed little in the way of pop music, unless it was Chubby Checker twisting - and maybe Ray Charles on a really good night. Don't forget some of us can remember seeing a test pattern on the TV until about noon.....and TV played the national anthem and went off the air at about 11 pm.

You had mono battery powered transistor radios......... and stereo ????? What's that ?

So one day you are sitting there innocently on a Sunday night, and Ed Sullivan has this new group called "The Beatles" on.

They have female length "long hair", speak with funny accents, and there's more screaming going on than at a Hitchcock film festival.

My dear old Mom was sitting there with a puzzled expression on her face, somewhat akin to someone first seeing the Sex Pistols...

For me (and millions of other kids) it was like suddenly realizing just how fantastic music could be for the first time.

(I also remember the first news clip of Hendrix I saw, on my tenth birthday, smashing his guitar at Monterey. Mom was horrified at that "wild man" going apparently crazy. )

So hearing these songs after that, after being exposed to all that followed, is not the same experience.

In some ways, it's like describing what living in a world without electric power is, I guess.

Now......GET OFF MY LAWN !!!!!!
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/2/2010 12:31:16 PM
From Rolling Stone magazine that's a little out of context Pirateheaven.
To include Neil Young as one of the best guitar players of all time should be your first clue.
Django Rheinhardt is regarded as one of if not the greatest in the jazz community.
There is not one jazz guitarist on Rolling Stone's list (I may have missed if there is).
George Benson is a still living legend and was not included.
I do agree with Duane Allman at the top though I would put him at the top of the list.

(Jeez why didn't they just include Peter Framtoon on that list to make it complete?)
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > The Legend: Jimi Hendrix