Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Feasterner
Msg: 62
What frugal things do you do to save money? Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
For young people, now it might be a good time to buy your own place. There are many guys here who have no house or still pay a morgtage even if they are over 60.
 Feasterner
Msg: 66
What frugal things do you do to save money?
Posted: 1/14/2010 6:26:36 AM

I'm always having more and more put into my savings.

Good for you, and good girls should like you. There aren't many old Western guys who are like you although they tell to be old-fashioned but only know how to overspend...
 Feasterner
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/15/2010 11:08:04 AM
I do save water used to take a shower, which isn't necessary for saving money but saving water only! I use the shower water to water trees in my yard. These trees are growing up faster than my neighbors' because I water them every day.
However, saving shower water to water trees does save money, including to save a few $s from city service, to save a few $s watering trees, and to exercise every day through watering trees... grinning!

I was born and raised in Missouri

You have learned from your life to shape you in living a better life. There are some people who never learn to be better.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/15/2010 7:54:54 PM

However, saving shower water to water trees does save money, including to save a few $s from city service, to save a few $s watering trees,

I live in Missouri and I have a well--all it costs to water my trees (except trees don't need watering unless they are small) is a few cents to run the pump.

I buy my clothes and shoes on sale. If one is patient, she/he can get 75%-90% markdowns.

All the furniture in my house came from thrift stores or my sister gave them to me. I learned to refinish furniture last summer.

Turn the thermostat down. It doesn't need to be over 50 degrees at night when you are sleeping.

People spend too much on things they don't need. I live better on my wages than people who make twice as much as I do. It's hard to do if you have kids at home, though.
 Feasterner
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/15/2010 8:27:20 PM

I live in Missouri and I have a well--all it costs to water my trees

I have a well in my Chinese yard used to water trees if necessary and feed animals, but I don't have one in my American desert yard. My American trees always need water so I water them by using my shower water...LOL!

I enjoy cooking so never eat out except to go out with my friends. Eating at home also helps saving gas for driving! No, I'm not a cheapskate. I enjoy supporting people who have a need. I am proud of myself to be frugal, grinning!!!
 mr. bass
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/15/2010 8:41:34 PM
The biggest bill is heating in winter. Use wood to heat. inital investment wood burner and pipes and install. unless u do it. i bought new and was $1000 used u can go much cheaper on wood burner. black pipe is cheap. insulated pipes and thru ceiling conn. are a bit more. chain saw new 18" stihl $400. per year 4-5 chains $30 each, gas-oil chain saw?? say12gals. $30 / oil $12 gas truck varies on distance. and $500 for small wood splitter. wood; free find after storms in yards ask home owners, pallet co. scraps for free, friends, your town or county gov., etc. my intial investment paid for itself in first year. now my cost is to heat my house for season is around $300 and avg. gas bill is $27 dollars plus a little labor. i say oh
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2010 8:31:45 AM
I’ve always been careful with my money -- good economic times or bad. I find that I can save money in a lot of ways without having to suffer or do without.

JUST AS OTHER POSTERS HAVE SAID:

I've always driven a small fuel-efficient car, and bought a brand of car that would last a long time.

I've always kept my thermostat under control, as it is not only a good way to save $$$, but actually better for one's health and strength. Just turn off the lights when I'm not using them -- I won't miss light in a room I'm not in. Keep the water heater on SAVE -- and I'll still have hot water, so I won't miss energy I'm not using.

Like other ladies have mentioned, I do my own manicures, pedicures, facials, hair color. I not only save $$$, on the treatments but save time and gas in not having to go to appointments.

I have my gym in my home. A cheap cardio machine and a few dumb bells cost less than a gym membership. Also. I don't have the hassle of having to drive to a gym and put up with issues of sharing gym equipment with the not so courteous. Plus I can watch movies during long boring cardio sessions.

I have a lot of simple recipes for quick healthy meals -- no processed or fast foods most of the time. Not only cheaper, but healthier.

I shop E-Bay and other net sites for great deals on really nice things I want. I get really nice quality clothes and accessories cheap, so I can dress well but not pay the price.

I stay away from malls and do NOT do any "Recreational shopping".

MY FRIENDS AND I HAVE FORMED A " STICK TOGTHER CLUB"

We do each other favors based on what each of us can contribute to the mix. I have a lot of business skills, and can do writing and typing for some. Others do small home repairs for me.

We buy some things in bulk as a group. I have good credit, so if we buy on line, I can use my card, and others just pay me back their share of the purchases in cash.

We do not "barter" -- that is, we don't measure the value of one favor against another. We just all chip in and help when we can. But we do network and keep a list of who can do what for other members.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 11:41:37 AM
The wife asked for the divorce at the same time I was layed off from work. . Since all finances were temporarily frozen I had no credit card. Had to live off of unemployment insurance.

Now that I have a job and my own apartment my budget lives within my income. I have a savings account and the checking account has a debit card.

No money: no spending. I have to think and plan ahead. What a novel idea.

However, I no longer am giving lots of money (interest) to credit card companies by spending more than I make, making fat executives and stock holders even fatter.

No more credit cards. For me at least!!!
 Casper66
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 3:05:06 PM
I stopped using my debit card for everything, was finding I was spending too much, now I take out a certain amount of money for the week and have noticed a big difference in my bank account. I also collect my change in a jar, before Christmas I rolled up almost $150.00 which paid for my train ticket. As a single person it is hard to buy in bulk, but I do go to the bulk barn here, can find everything including expensive spices and get only what I need for less. I also look for sales on meat and other items and then freeze them, lasts for months and I never buy the prepackaged/frozen dinners, just too expensive and no nutrition. Lastly I looked at my accounts, got rid of the high interest credit card for a better rate with another brand, bundled my services into one plan that costs less with one fee charge, changed my savings account to another bank with better interest rates.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 3:24:19 PM
"I've been buying lottery and raffle tickets for pennies on the dollar by waiting until after the drawings are held."

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
Best idea yet!
 Brizo
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 7:41:55 PM
Negotiatied with my garbage collection and only pay half the rate for every other week.

I unplugged any vampire power, so the refrigerator, alarm clock and one lamp is all that's plugged in. I plug the microwave, computer, television, stereo and any lights in when I need to use them. I also switched to CFL's. I didn't think it would save much money....$25 a month, over a years time that's quite a bit! And it was painless.

I do almost all my shopping at thrift stores and secondhand stores, Ebay and craigslist and discount grocery stores. I never shop at convenience stores. I always buy generic (except bread and window cleaner-there are no worthy substitutes)

I drive a Focus. I have to drive 8 miles back and forth every day, so it saves on gas. I also do errands and visiting while I'm in town. Once home, I'm home.

I lost my land line and have basic cell on the same carrier as my daughters. This saves on minutes so I can get the less expensive plan.

I don't have cable, and use netflix and redbox for movie rentals.

I turn the heat down to 50 when I sleep, and when I leave the house in the morning. I run my house at about 62 when I'm awake and I'm used to it. If I feel cold I use a space heater and layer up. In the summer, I turn the air to 80 when I leave for work. I run a fan at night in the summer to keep myself cool while I'm sleeping.

I shopped around and found less expensive auto and home insurance, the same coverage for less.

I babysit my granddaughter on Wednesdays and Sundays, and my daughter (who is a waitress) brings me leftoever food from their Sunday buffet in payment. I use this to pack my lunch for work. It doesn't cost her anything and it helps me a lot.

Stopped mowing the other half of my property which is about an acre. It costs too much in gasoline and wear and tear on my mower.

I keep a ziplock full of fast food napkins and silverware for picnics, camping etc...I wash and re-use ziplocks.

I use the library a lot, or buy books from goodwill for $1.50 or used bookstores. My dad, sister, neice and daughters all read, so we swap books.

Next on the list is negotiating for cheaper internet (five times faster and $10 cheaper). I'm also thinking about a toaster oven.
 Kayara
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:49:16 AM
I clip coupons like a champ!! Used to think it was an 'old-lady' sort of thing to do and I was always embarased to use them at the check out but now I bare no shame whipping out a stack of coupons at the grocery store, especially since it saves me 20-50$ a week!
 Vannili
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:53:48 PM
Funcuz : You are killin me !!!!
 EvilLolli
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2010 9:55:31 PM
I do some of the stuff others have mentioned, so no need to repeat those.

If you have pets, check with local shelters for spay/neuter coupons. They really can save a bundle with good vets. I got my cat spayed for $45 and the other neutered for $25(over $300 at a vets office). Many local shelters also over vaccine days with discounted prices for shots.

Check the web for local home improvement/energy efficiency programs. Many areas offer rebates/cut price deals for certain types of home imporvements. Some even give freebies(free spiral lightbulbs, chaulking, etc.).

Go grocery shopping EARLY. My one local grocery store has cut rate prices on prime cuts of meat EARLY on sundays. Yes it needs to be sold/used in 2 days. I bought a months worth of prime cut steak for under $20. God bless freezers.

Find ways to make common ingredients STRETCH. For example, instead of buying spaghetti sauce, buy tomato sauce. You can make spaghetti sauce, season taco meat, make salsa, or tomato broth with a can. You can also use left overs to make new meals .

Make friends with service people that have skills you aren't capable of. One you gain a friend, and two they can key you into bargains, upcoming sales, or teach you how to do it yourself. This works for farmers markets or butchers too.

Ask your doctor for samples of the prescription they issue you. I found out from a nurse I know that many medical facilities have TONS of samples given to them for FREE by the pharmecutical companies. And these establishments throw them out when they expire. Even with health insurance it helps. I learned this when I had no health insurance and was prescribed a $12 a pill medication. It was a precription that would have cost me $240 in the pharmacy-free from their "sample" closet.

Learn to sew and dye. I have refit or re-dyed clothes to get more wear out of them. I wear a ton of black but it fades. If I buy a bottle of $6 dye, I can re-dye most of my black items. That save a ton in clothes costs and keeps them looking new. Or I will re-tailor an item to fit a current figure or trend.

For the ladies, learn to make your own jewelry. You can use old, broken items and have a new look for cheap. Or talk to a local jeweler about redoing your better peices into something modern.

For other medical issues check with your local colleges. Many have a dental hygiene/dentist school where you can get discounted cleanings, fillings. Also discounted psychiatric counseling, vet services, and dermatology.

Same thing for vocational schools. Car repairs/oil changes, haircuts, etc. Also apprentices for some unions(they are supervised) for other household repairs.

Be smart about it, if you have a bad feeling about the person/place giving the discounted service-don't do it. Just because something costs les sup front doesn't mean it's worth it. But for some of the basics you can't do yourself, why not look into it?
 EvilLolli
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2010 10:36:36 PM
^^ and some think I am crazy when I suggest it. But really, why do you think those pharmecutical companies can offer to help you with your prescriptions? Anymore I always ask if I can have samples of a prescribed med. The worst they do is say no. And it doesn't cost anything to ask. $10 a script is still $10. That is food, rent, etc.

Oh, and the other tip that is a double duty. If you live in a state that pays for you to recycle(bottles and cans). Walk you neighborhood on recycle/garbage day. In NYS (&many other states) you get .05 a bottle or can for drink beverages. It is amazing how many throw that away. Also look for recycling bonus days(2 for 1 or extra $$ for returns), or extra money for crushing days. Its worth storing some things for a few days. I waited for bottle/can recycling bonus day, and walked away with $20 for my months worth of bottles and cans. Bless the wasteful/lazy co-workers. LOL
 FL CO
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 8:09:45 AM

- Instead of A/C in the summer, open the windows and stay in the basement. If we do turn on the A/c, keep the temperature around 25 - 26 d C (not cool, but still cooler than outside!)

--Don't necessarily buy the cheapest (they don't last as long and need to be replaced more often). Buy the best you can afford

-- Buy generic brands instead of name brands

In some states having A/C is a must if you want to have any hope of comfort. No A/C may work in Canada, but in FL it doesn't

The other two statesments I quoted contradict each other.
 CryManelli
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:14:11 AM
You can get free internet if you have wi-fi and a neighbor who will let you use their connection (by giving you their password). Or you can offer your neighbor 5 bucks a month or do something in exchange for them...
 TooShadows
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2010 6:37:12 PM
I discovered today that some of the points accumulated for getting gas at certain gas stations can be used for some groceries. I traded in 16000 points for 2 gallons of milk. Now I'm checking the points value on some of my other cards.
 mrcs84
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2010 9:38:39 PM
Drink Water instead instead of Juice/Soda/Milk/Tea/whatever.

Put on more clothing instead of turning on the heat.

Packing a lunch for work.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 9:05:43 PM

I used to buy bottled water, but then I started buying it by the galon. Frankly, having to recycle all those bottles was a pain. It seems overall cheaper to buy it in galons, anyway. I can get a galon of drinking water for around .74c USD.

Tap water here is quite good and healthy and a fraction of a cent a gallon.

No bottles to deal with.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 8:39:23 AM
Well, when I'm in the lodge and need to give birth if the group we have is full of nothing but self absorbed posterior orifices I will not courtesey flush. Only saves us micro pennies on the plumbing equipment though because we have an awesome Spring that runs 24/7/365. Call it gratuitous frugality if you want.
 milt_n_bradley
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/4/2010 8:42:54 AM
I try to get friends and family to take me out to dinner or invite me over,rather than spending my own money on food.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2012 2:42:49 PM
Jotting down what you spend each day, what you ate, what you did, etc. is always good.

So much knowledge to harvest from just that simple journal.

Once that weekly revelation is tallied up we can also decide what needs to go, what needs to be cut down on and how we can substitute to still get the same or similar results.

For instance, why get that famous cup of coffee for $3.79 or more when you can usually find something better for $1.19 in a convenience store. You could also brew your own.

Sometimes we think we are being frugal only to find out that there are much more frugal ways and it usually comes about through reflections. Writing it down is a pretty visual reflection.

That was so cute mystic......iphones.....lol.
 Holly63
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/21/2012 8:31:20 PM
I havn't read this whole thread but here's some things I've done. ..... I admit, pathetic huh?

* Grabbed a handful of serviettes from McDonalds.
* Taken all the free stuff in a Hotel room....tiny shampoo bottles, soaps, coffee and tea etc and even new toilet rolls.
* Washing plastic plates and plastic knives and forks for the next BBQ

* Removed light globes in areas hardly used.
* Use Facebook instead of ringing people.
* Added water to fruit juice to make it go further.

* Sprinkle cheap washing powder on the carpet instead of carpet deodorant.
* Use old perfume instead of a bathroom spray.
* Use used water ( dishes, washing machine) to water my plants.

Some money saving ideas are great! Some are quite pathetic though, but funny.
 five-marie
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2012 7:56:40 PM
Haven't read all 6 pages but doesn't everyone have the Facebook online buy/sell groups? Here we have Windsor Buy and Sell, Kingsville Buy and Sell,etc. You can buy anything you'll ever need for a fraction of the price new.
I hate The Thrift Store, overpriced, sketchy previous owners, bedbugs.
On these sites I've bought a beautiful dining room set, toys for my granddaughter, books, etc. Everything besides the dining table were a couple of bucks and brand new condition. When I'm done with it I'll resell it probably at the same price.
There's sites for men also with tools/etc.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >