Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Was "The Matrix" Popular because people suspect it might be True?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 17
Was The Matrix Popular because people suspect it might be True?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The Matrix is real, but you don't need a pill. All you have to do is join the Bar Association to find out how the other half lives. Good luck with that.

Of course, If the Shakespearians take over, you should drop your membership real quick: "Kill all the Lawyers"
 gingerosity
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Was The Matrix Popular because people suspect it might be True?
Posted: 6/7/2014 6:24:36 AM

Why do we have to “earn” our existence, our survival?

We don't. Survival is optional.

Why are we denied free energy so that we may just live and enjoy life rather than have to slave in order to merely exist?

We aren't. Go outside and bask in the free energy of the sun. There you go, now put your feet up. Feel good? If you get hungry, try foraging in woodlands or bins. Enjoy!
 gingerosity
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2014 8:24:14 AM

Survival is not an option but a natural human instinct.

Instincts are optional when made conscious. In this case, we choose not to override them.

Don’t we have a right to be here?

Our right to be here is as valid as anyone else's.

We do not have to go back to being cavemen or turn into jungle monkeys. We have the technology to have our modern conveniences and luxuries for free.

Well until 'free everything' shows up I'm going to go on working to feed myself. You don't have to if you don't want to.

They make laws to stop you from being free and make it illegal for you to forage, you need a license to hunt. What about the news stories of people getting fined for growing vegetables in their gardens? What about people being fined for taking food out of the bins? There are laws against vagrancy.

You can do whatever you want. The possible consequences will help guide your decision-making. But yes, I'd rather be jailed than pay a fine for growing a few vegies. I have been paying my fines for not voting though. Where you draw your lines between compliance, protest and revolt is up to you and your conscience.

No. The system does not allow freedom. We are slaves.

No. "The moment the slave resolves that he will no longer be a slave, his fetters fall. Freedom and slavery are mental states." - Gandhi
 AddHomonym
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/7/2014 12:58:25 PM
I absolutely loved the original movie and considered it more philosophy than science-fiction. It was a brilliant story that obviously drew very heavily from various philosophies and religions, particularly Buddhism.

In fact, it was so good and so mesmerizing in its veiled complexity that I get the distinct impression the Wachowski brothers never wrote that script. I find it difficult to accept that the people who wrote the sequels are the same people that wrote the original movie. The sequels lacked all indications of anything thought-provoking or deep - they were standard action-movie fare. The writers didn't seem to have a clue about what the original movie had to say.
 funchesf
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/25/2016 1:38:39 PM

Was it really just a great movie, or did it strike a chord? Could there be any truth to it?

anytime you enter into Rem Sleep you enter into The Matrix ...anyone that has awaken from a dream and swear that it was real has left The Matrix...or have they? ...

because which is real...the dream or the awakening ...and how would you know which is which if this was taking place since birth ...in the Movie the robots used this concept along with technology to keep people sleep and thus in control of them... that reality is only a representation of "Truth Absolute" is why anyone under the jurisdiction of the laws of physics is already stuck in The Matrix ...

TWO WAY TO TEST IF YOU'RE IN THE MATRIX (a simulated one)
1.have you been in an incident that you should have died
2.have you seen what appears to be pixelization

you are but the sum of your memories ...funches 3:16
Posted: 10/26/2016 10:49:14 AM
This Matrix life isn't very good. The simulated people around me weren't done very well.
 JustinElle
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/9/2016 6:15:08 PM
It depends on what we know, how real anything is. We are a species destroying the planet and from becoming almost extinct to soon 9 billion mouths to feed, stripping the planet of its resources and creating the biggest and fastest extinction program since the dinosaurs got wiped out.

But hold on it has taken a few billion years for our multi-cellular form to evolve, on this slowly decomposing rock floating in space going nowhere in particular. We thrive in the excrement of plants as well as consuming them. Thus we appear to be improbable, life is improbable in general, as this bubble called earth appears to be a one off as far as we know to date.

To exploit the human diaspora we created civilization or strict hierarchical structures to monitor and exploit the less aware on the economic food chain. It a game of masters and slave, where everyone appears to be answerable to someone else us a never ending ladder of seniority. We think we have choices, but even what we buy is somewhat of an illusion as a report in 2011 from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich reported in ...www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228354-500-revealed-the-capitalist-network-that-runs-the-world/
demonstrates the farce of choice the common people are led to believe. So corporate mergers are fortunately just cutting down the fat and exposing the illusion for what it is.

One thing about life that has always amused me is that it is all consuming or everything is consumed by other life forms, an we as individually support colonies of bacteria and fungi on and in our individual bodies. Humans are almost clones genetically speaking when compared to other species, as we all emerged from a group almost on the verge of extinction. We would and should be classed as the only prolific incestuous species withing this bubble in space. So life is temporary in sense, and inconsequential except for those that do not believe in their own magnificence and seek sanctuary for their secret and personal insecurities and doubts in fabricate ideologies dreamed up by what was once the ruling class, the snake oil salesmen of their time, the religious peddlers.

I consider myself living in a world of mindless zombies, that know little, are generally insecure, seek solace in anything they can, and equally identify in puerile wastes of time when not working in the master slave game, where you work to live a decent life through payment of coin. The debt slavery game has increased, got to keep the intelligentsia servile.

So in a sense the MAtrix only pointed out in a fictitious way what already exists, where false values create the mess we all regard as normal. This could never have been the case for most of human evolution otherwise we would not exist as we do today. We life in the age of the individual, the personality, the celebrity, the moronic icons the rabble require to aspire to. The more you see in others positive or negative the less you see in yourself, so let the mindless zombies slowly destroy themselves as the fight for the right to have this or that that makes them apparently be a developed individual.
 xlr8ingme
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/10/2016 5:54:55 PM
I think the science fiction genre inspires creative dreaming promoting further exploration of our universe, and our selves.
Posted: 11/10/2016 6:27:42 PM
"The men of action are, after all, only the unconscious instruments of the men of thought."

- Heinrich Heine
Posted: 12/8/2016 1:35:05 AM
Try looking up, "Do We Really Exist?" by the BBC.
According to that video, the odds are billions to one, against us existing in physical bodies.
 JewelsnTools
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2017 9:57:35 PM
Ooh...just saw this!
The Matrix DEFINITELY resonated with what my soul's been sort of 'sneaking up' on! I'd imagine it hit me the way Star Wars hit some folks.
Stargate, the movie, with that rock-jawed, buzz-cut-mansicle (hotflash) seemed more logical to me than some of the other stories of our origins I've found.
The 13th Floor, with Vincent D'onofrio (sp?) was another one.
Fallen, with Denzel Washington(yes, I'd give him ALL my jewels! lol), sort of explained why folks look surprised after they've done something they normally wouldn't.
The Cloud Atlas, with Halle Berry and Tom Hanks. That part where the fabricant, who was supposedly going to 'exultation,' but actually got unceremoniously strung up by her neck reminded me of organized religion.
Strangely, The Shawshank Redemption held a deeper kind of 'knowing' for me. The scene where the protagonist stands, triumphant, in the stream? Gets me every time! Have you ever felt like YOU'VE "crawled through an acre of sh!t (in life), and came out clean on the other side"?
OT-The Matrix--as glorious as that first one was--reinforced a wrong-headed idea, IMHO. There isn't only "one". We each have come bearing great and awesome giftings, and we're charged with discovering and expressing them...even if it's something as simple as feeding a hungry kid, or painting an old dude's room for him. Each of us, in our own respective lives, is "The One"--as hard as that is for some of us to accept.
Excellent post! I think I'll go dig it out and watch it again!
Jewels
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Was "The Matrix" Popular because people suspect it might be True?