Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profi      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 201
What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?Page 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
...Without a doubt, having a good sense of humour is the number one charateristic I look for in a man's profile/ postings. Now that's appealing.

An example:...At a company hosted barbeque/retirement party last night I couldn't help but notice how most of the females in attendance seemed to seek out this one particular gent, myself included...why? Cause he had us all laughing and giggling for most of the evening. He was fun to be around. Like I said many times in the forums, I shun negativity....undesirable.

I respect a man who is respectful of people, and who truly likes, appreciates and respects the differences between a man and a woman. That also is appealing, the fact that he is confident in himself and feels no need to critize or bash anyone.

I desire a man who desires me, who is accepting of me with all my faults, quirks and idiosyncrasies....and I have many. Some who is willing to overlook the fact that I can be very stubborn, opinionated, b1tchy and I am not a very good cook....oh and I despise yard work of any kind. But I do like a nice lawn and flowers... if he was so inclined, that would be desirable haha
BTW..... It would be nice if he lived in my city too.

......yeah I know, good luck with that.

...maeflowers
 not quitting
Msg: 202
What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?
Posted: 7/13/2009 10:32:39 AM
I have written and flirted with men who did not have a photo at all, but what drew me to them was saying things like.

looking for someone to e-mail and then see where it goes from that.

warm, fun loveing , adventurious, open to meet woman for conversation,common interest.

same age, same background, same hobbies, allways get my interest.

Can't stand it when a man will, say, young looking for my age (that's their opinion)

water skying at age 75, travel all around europe, doctorate degree, writes books.

than I know they are really out of my league.

what really bugs me, is when they talk about sports they like. REALLY what woman wants to hear about sports?
 TryAgan
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 10:45:25 AM
^^^^^

Can't stand it when a man will, say, young looking for my age (that's their opinion). water skying at age 75, travel all around europe, doctorate degree, writes books.

Right! At that age, they should stick to downhill skiing and reading the books.
 Elle Kaye
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 5:21:59 PM
Hey, Try! Wanna date, in about a decade or so, to tour Europe and ski the Alps? I love doing stuff I shouldn't.
 TryAgan
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 5:27:48 PM
Elle Kaye - Msg 253

Hey, Try! Wanna date, in about a decade or so, to tour Europe and ski the Alps? I love doing stuff I shouldn't.

Sounds good, I don't have anything scheduled for that time.
But what about the bird, is he coming, too?
 sjmermaid
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 6:31:03 PM
I am mostly attracted to the less wordy profiles. Just a list of positive and negative things about yourself, a bit about places you have been and would like to visit, favorite teams, etc. I like to hear that someone is family oriented or not, just be truthful, if the woman is interested, you can fill her in during your dates. I really enjoy funny profiles as well.
Now for what I find is that most of the men's profiles say they want an honest partner, my profile lists all of the things that are important to me in a prospective partner. I also mention that manners are important, no offensive odors, etc... and I have received only a few decent responses. Most of the guys write to me telling me that they think I have alot of nerve to write those things, sorry, I am offended if someone has rotten teeth, no job due to laziness and asked me to "pull their finger"!
Hope this helps.
 Elle Kaye
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 8:32:44 PM
No bird. He doesn't ski. Just minimal baggage, a eurail pass and a quarter to flip when we come to a T in the road.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 208
Posted: 7/14/2009 1:44:32 PM
Desirable in a man's profile would be to see rubber ducks and doggies?

thecatsmeoww
 rustygetsit
Msg: 209
Posted: 7/15/2009 5:42:39 AM
Likes: A nice photo that shows your eyes (not having a photo is sometimes okay with me if you've got something nice/interesting to say in your profile); honesty, sense of humor, positive comments on life, and you cooking (that's always hot!) LOL

Dislikes: Kilts, lap dogs, dead fish, deer or you up a tree; multiple pictures of crotch rockets; talk of moonlight walks on the beach after you've said you don't travel - so, where's this beach???
Pictures of children/grandchildren - just don't think it's appropriate to put their pics on a dating site for ANYONE to see (THINK ) ... hula skirts when not at a Jimmy Buffett concert ... visible narrow mind (sometimes it shows) ... your elementary school photo ... chances are, you're much better looking now! swimming trunk pics over 10 years old.

Guys, just be yourself, and, if any of the things I said I don't like are your favorite things, please don't be offended - they're just my (personal) opinions ... this is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek ... all is good!
 HeartOfKate4
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 6:34:08 PM
Of course everyone is different in who they are and what turns them off (or on). Personally I hate it when the photo is of a man without his shirt on or sitting on the bed. At least for the older than 50 men. There are always exceptions. The word Harley screams midlife crisis to me. Obviously many enjoy that. I did the Harley thing in my 20's. I'm no Miss Twiggy so I would look funny on the back of a Harley anyway. Post a good photo or two if you are able to. Have a friend take it, don't take it yourself. Proofread your profile as I should do this, but I'm not going to. I have not taken any of my own advice but I have my reasons. I do really enjoy reading the profiles. Keep posting over 50's!
 hearts to stars1953
Msg: 211
Posted: 7/18/2009 4:07:19 AM
The profile is just the first attempt for someone to try to draw interest. Some have said here that they do not like to see pictures of guys and their fish. You would only get it if you have actually fished yourself, which I have.

Undesirable:
Bad spellers who cannot spell even the simplest of words.
No picture on profile: Sometimes there is a good reason that you would not post a picture. I usually ask for one when contacting someone who has not posted a picture.

Desirable: Someone in my 50s age group who seems to take each day as a gift and enjoys life as if it is an adventure with new things to be discovered each day. Someone who has a sense of humor and who would have the potential to make me laugh. You can see this in their face and profile. I would be attracted to someone who has some of the same interests as me.
 DaytonDennis
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 4:20:31 AM
singles49 writes:

6. in your profile, dont list undecided for do you want children......by your age you should know

ummm... well, I'm not sure I understand this. I figured that profile question didn't specify "Do you want to father/bear a new child". I took it to mean "Would you still consider a lady/man if they have children who are still living at home" Maybe the question is too ambigious, but I did answer "undecided". Now, at my age do I want to father a new child? Nope. Would I consider marrying a lady who had a teenager at home? Undecided. Let me meet your child... if he sneers at me and gives me a rude hand gesture, the "undecided" becomes a NO. If he shakes my hand and even laughs at my stupid jokes, well... leaning toward the YES. Or am I completely misunderstanding the profile question? If so, I'll bet I'm not alone and if a lady sees "undecided" as a deal breaker, she may be missing out on some nice guys. Am I making any sense here?
 BergundTal
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 5:16:29 PM
Your good Molly, hit the nail right on the head. ........
 1Lilly of the Valley
Msg: 214
Posted: 7/23/2009 4:37:06 PM
a profile with not much to go on, does not get any e-mail
profile is your first contact, be real tell it like u like it. Have fun show the real you!
Words are very powerful, If you tell women what u want, it may just bring u what u want! The success of a relationship is how much common interests you have to share and I like to know a man's expectations in a relationship cuts to the finish line of the chase of dating. And may cut down on the women who try to be what u want to just be with someone a pleaser. Have standards with some bend in them, hey if you discribe a dream who's to say SHE WON'T APEER MAYBE MINUS A FEW SMALL DETAILS?she might be closer than u expected heheheheee
 esorb
Msg: 215
Posted: 7/24/2009 7:23:34 AM
I wish i could hire Suecat51 to write my resume for a post retirement part-time job. Jokes apart, that list of 12 attributes is right on. But except for background and interests I do not personally depend on what is in a profile since i know it is designed to impress me. I want a chance to communicate with a woman who has the minimum attributes of a decent human being. I can find out more from a few exchanges than from a profile. Quite often what she hates about herself may be what is most attractive about her. I don't really think it is possible to truly reflect a personality in a brief profile. All you can get is an insight. Moreover, I have no interest in reading a lengthy biography.
 Missy6713
Msg: 216
Posted: 7/24/2009 7:35:36 AM
No Caps, hats, dead animals, bare chests.

Do have a close up shot of your face and show some teeth.

Talk about sex. Come on!!!! You are trying to meet someone! This just scares me away.
 Call me Ginny
Msg: 217
Posted: 7/24/2009 7:45:08 AM
Desirable;

~ A sense of humor
~ Articulate
~ Realistic

Undesireable:

~ Bitterness
~ Arrogance
~ Sexual inuendos

Ginny

Missy6713
Msg: 218
Posted: 7/24/2009 7:54:08 AM
No Caps, hats, dead animals, bare chests.

You need to have a close up shot of your face and show some teeth.

Don't talk about sex. Come on!!!! You are trying to meet someone for the first time! This just scares me away.

Sunsets and candlelit dinners and long walks! I love sunsets, but have never purposely gone to the beach to see one. Candlelit dinners? Do you call that little candle in the restaurant a candlelit dinner? Long walks, I have never had a date say lets go for a long walk. Besides you have to have the right shoes for that, right ladies.

I do like to hear that you know how and DO....treat a lady, like a lady.

It is a turn off for me to see someone 60 wanting to date from 29-45 year olds. Good luck and enjoy the wait.

If you are looking for a woman around your age, you are going to be very limited if you want only Slender, Athletic and Toned. We are in our 50's, there are not too many women over 50 that meet that demand.

Also, tell us your body size correctly. Some guys say average and you can see by the picture you are overweight. But they still want the athletic and toned.
 Iascaireachta_arĂ­s
Msg: 219
Posted: 11/12/2011 7:29:39 PM

Desirable;

~ A sense of humor
~ Articulate
~ Realistic

Undesireable:

~ Bitterness
~ Arrogance
~ Sexual inuendos

It's been awhile...maybe bring this back to the front for some new input. I completely agree with the above...Men should chime in too. What is it that we all think we are "fishing" for at this point in our lives? Someone more sedate and having learned from mistakes OR or willing to still be a bit wild and crazy and make some more?
 femaleandflirty
Msg: 220
Posted: 11/12/2011 9:49:28 PM
Well supposing that women are serious about dating site guys in the first place. I would say children still at home is a no no. No vehicle or job... Overweight and short.
The usual things......addictions such as gambling and drinking. But no one ever write the real truth in profiles and we all know that.....

wvwaterfall
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2011 10:26:20 PM
Ok, I'll take a shot from this male's perspective.

What I look for in a profile is substance. Let me know what makes you special - your interests, your perspective on life, what matters to you, whatever you can share that helps me glean some insight into what makes you tick.

Chemistry, I've learned, just can't be determined without meeting in person, but do please include at least a clear shot of your face and another longer shot that gives at least some hint to your form. Everyone assesses themselves differently in terms of "average", "athletic and toned", "a few extra pounds", etc... but a pic tells so much more.

That said, you can skip the cleavage shots, unless that's how you dress every day. Sure, like most guys, a nice bust can turn my head, but to capture my interest I need to know the woman I'm with is someone whose company I can enjoy intellectually, emotionally, AND physically. The more insights you can offer the more likely you'll save both of us time if it's clear we're not a good fit or conversely, the more likely if you MIGHT be a good match that I'll be able to recognize that.

I remember when I first put together a profile that I tried to share whatever traits I thought I had that might make me appealing to a woman. But when I read back over it I realized there was nothing there that would make me stand out from any other guy. So I started over and just tried to honestly share who I am, and that seemed like a much better approach. It's also what I look for in a woman's profile.

But that's just me. I'm sure other guys look for other things.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 222
Posted: 11/13/2011 8:18:45 AM
I'm surprised by what some people think should *not* be in a profile. If someone is into hunting and fishing, then pics of dead animals are appropriate. It helps each of us filter if we know what the other person is really like or really into. I don't mind pics of kids/babies/small dogs, either. Again, my filter may be "on" or "off" for those things--but the point is, I have one. And someone's hobbies ain't the be-all and end-all of compatiability, either. You can do your thing while I do mine, at least some of the time, so those sorts of things are a non-issue for me.

As wvwaterfall said,

The more insights you can offer the more likely you'll save both of us time if it's clear we're not a good fit or conversely, the more likely if you MIGHT be a good match that I'll be able to recognize that.

I want to learn what you are *really* like by what you write, not what you *say* you are like. When a guy writes that he has a "great sense of humor," but the profile is smack-down boring, I'm thinking, "Oh, no you don't!" If a guy is funny and irreverent, he'll write like that. If he is thoughtful and mature, that will come through too. I think a good profile is much more like a conversation than a shopping list or advertisement, and that's what attracts me. Most profiles are incredibly similar, so if one stands out, I notice!
 TABITHA890
Msg: 223
Posted: 11/13/2011 10:09:18 AM
Hmmmm lets see, I hate seeing this big old ugly fish in these pics the worst! Some guy holding a big fish by the gills is really gonna make women go for you, ya right?lol If I see a man with a bare chest I pass him by also. Things not to put on profile: 1. fish of any calibar.2 deer heads or something of that nature.3 I like kids but do you have to be holding one in your main profile pic? 4. Putting pic with 3 or 4 people as main profile, what are you, Sybil?lol You have to set there and try to guess which one is the main man.lol 5. Puts loves life and loves to laugh, who in the heck doesnt? 6. I look and act soooooooooooo much younger than my age.(give us a break now)lol 7. Looking for good hearted woman, that has been used to death. 8. Saying you are the bestest, nicest, awesomest, funniest, and all your friends say you are truly the greatest, which brings me to the fact, if you are all that, why are you on here? Just my thoughts but I guess they are like a.. holes, everyone has one..lol
 TABITHA890
Msg: 224
Posted: 11/13/2011 10:10:42 AM
Also forgot bad spellers, duh spell check.lol And you might end up like Charlie Sheen ,,,,Winninggggg.lol
 TABITHA890
Msg: 225
Posted: 11/13/2011 10:18:50 AM
Or had one at first meeting say, he would take his teeth out later when we got more comfortable with each other to eat,,,oh heck nooooo, got out of there fast!lol
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What do women over 50 find desirable and undesirable in a man's profile?