Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yna6
Msg: 30
Criminal Defense AttorneysPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Well..here in Canada ALL lawyers are "officers of the court" forst. so...if innocent they usually work towards getting you off, or cutting a deal with minimum sentancing...usually over a long leisurely lunch paid for by the client.

If guilty, again a deal cut...over a lunch paid for by the client....

Here it is ALL deals. If you can actually PAY a lawyer, you get way better services. Otherwise, you get a record.

Perhaps those found "not guilty" could be reimbursed ALL fees, etc and also get lost income, etc, etc. That would curtail the "guilty till innocent" mind set many have now!
 geeleebee
Msg: 32
Criminal Defense Attorneys
Posted: 6/30/2009 8:15:44 AM

I guess I tend to write things that can be a bit immflamatory to push peoples' buttons to see what reaction it will produce. I pushed your buttons, some of you, and..WOW! You all need to take yourselves a little bit less seriously.

You do realize, don't you, that you just admitted to being a Troll?
Might want to ask a good defense attorney if he/she can keep you out of Banned Camp...
 aleon
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 9:19:15 AM
Hey nocturnal, consider the source. Don't loose sleep over somone whose profession is the number one reason for this countrys coming downfall.
There are plenty of innocent people that need a good attorney, too bad most attorneys are not good people.
Remember the bus full of attorneys that went over the cliff with one empty seat. Bloody shame that!!
 itechman63
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 9:39:19 AM
This makes me think of the moral question depicted in the story "Cape Fear". A defense attorney withholding evidence that would have let free his knowingly guilty client thus allowing his client to go to prison. Very interesting study on the gray area of morality.
 Ezzee
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/30/2009 9:58:49 AM

A defense attorney isn't there to try and get an innocent person to walk, the defense attorney is there to make money. The defense attorney most probably doesn't care much about the fate of his client, but cares about getting paid and about his reputation as far as getting someone off so that s/he can get paid again.

Couldn't this basically be said about all professions, just tailor it a little to the particular profession?

For example:

A police officer isn't there to try and get and protectthe public, the police officer is there to make money. The police officer most probably doesn't care much about the fate of his client (the public), but cares about getting paid and about his reputation as far as giving speeding tickets and other criminals so that s/he can get paid again.

It's really easy to tailor to any profession.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/30/2009 11:31:26 AM
Well, it's not a perfect system but it's the best one we got for now. Unless we want to start using a Magic 8-Ball to decide for us.
 astock
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/30/2009 12:08:44 PM

The other day at the booking window, I crossed paths with a man that never had a job for a day i his life that had $3,197.00 in his pocket, chump change. He will be using a public defender because he cannot afford his own legal defense.

must suck to be a taxpayer
 Ezzee
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/30/2009 12:13:45 PM

must suck to be a taxpayer

You tell me how you like it.
 astock
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/30/2009 12:35:43 PM

You tell me how you like it

on Disability <--
 astock
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/30/2009 7:50:32 PM

My best guess is that you would not even trust them with your computer password, let alone your home, your children and your bank accounts, or even your car keys.

well lets see, no computer password, so thats a bust, don't lock the house so guess thats a bust, children live here so guess thats a bust, don't shred my bank statements and keep a check book in every car so thats a bust, don't lock my car half of the time, and 3 of them the key is stuck in the ignition. holy carp. looks like i'm just screwed

Super Ryan
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/30/2009 10:01:41 PM
Ok, I'm pretty sure the OP is not a cop.

First of all, I will not be charged with a crime.

Innocent cops get charged with crimes all the time. The only cops I have ever met, who did not worry about being wrongfully accused, were the dirtiest cops you could think of.

I would be required to pay for my defense if such a situation happened.

You are trash talking all criminal defenders, not just the public defenders. Or maybe that's your real issue: poor people.

However, there is a service known as pre-paid legal for the persons that seem to feel the need to always have a lawyer on retainer. To me, that is not being cynical, but is just plain sad!

If you were a cop, you would be paying into a legal defense fund. That is a type of pre-paid legal services. But unlike most pre-paid legal, which is mostly for civil law, police legal defense funds are specifically for criminal defense (civil defense is usualy allowed)

But the real reason why I think this poster is not a cop is because of Mark Furhman.
Some of you may remember Fuhrman from the OJ trial. He was the cop who found the glove, and was also caught uttering the N word several times.
Because Furhman appeared as a racist to the jury, they did not accept that it was proven to be OJ's glove.

If she were really a cop, anytime she is involved in a trial, every defense attorney can show her writings in court, and simply tell the jury, "we can't trust this cop, she does not believe in the possibility of innocence let alone presume it, and she promotes vigalante justice."

Maybe she is really a cop, just a clueless one.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/2/2009 9:12:14 AM
Does anyone remember Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean?

They were the two border guards who received 10 year mandatory sentences for firing on a drug smuggler.

By many people's standard, they did nothing wrong. Yet, because of bad luck, or an overzealous DA, they needed a good criminal defense attorney.

So maybe, when people decide they want to be a criminal defense attorney, they are looking at cases like Ramos and Compean as a reason to get into the field.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >