Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cowtrucker
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Lets Talk Politics - Do you believe in the Death Penality?Page 2 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I like the way Texas feels about Capital Punishment.... They have an EXPRESS Lane!

I do feel that if a criminal feels that his/her own Death may be a consequence of his/her actions, I have a hard time believing that he/she would not think twice about committing the crime in the first place.

I don't feel that some people should be made to be the example in the situation, however, If the consequences are steeper, I think crime would be less. Just like when we were kids... If mom & dad were too lenient than we as children were most likely to go do it again without thinking. If the punishment was stiffer, we thought twice about it.

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 SAguy_06
Msg: 48
Lets Talk Politics - Do you believe in the Death Penality?
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:54:26 PM
Ex-Youth Pastor Gets Life
Matthew Andersen Convicted Of Sexually Abusing Teenage Boy

POSTED: Friday, June 12, 2009
UPDATED: 8:41 am CDT June 12, 2009

NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas -- A former New Braunfels youth pastor was sentenced Thursday to life in prison for sexually assaulting a teenage boy.

Jurors took 45 minutes to decide punishment on Matthew Andersen, who was found guilty Wednesday on seven counts of sexual assault and indecency with a child.

Because Andersen had a prior conviction in a similar case in 2003 while he was a youth pastor in Alabama, a relatively new Texas law provided for "enhanced punishment," which made the defendant eligible to receive a life sentence.

During closing arguments, prosecutor Steve Delemos told jurors that Andersen "has made it abundantly clear that he's a predator. The only thing we can do with predators is lock them away."

The victim, who was 16 when he was a member of the Tree of Life Church in 2005, told jurors that Andersen blamed the sexual encounters on visions from God.

Sorry this happen to this young man...but hopefully many will be safe...
 lbiker
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/12/2009 7:06:52 PM
Hello all

Yes I believe in the Death Penalty..The person who murdered did too.
Reap what you sow..Eye for an eye.

With DNA and no slick lawyers verbage, it is pretty simple really.

You kill,,you die...DUH!!!!!

Lbiker
 barbee1970
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/17/2009 8:54:57 PM
Life in prison cheaper? I doubt it. It costs $25000 to keep them there and it's our tax dollars. Then we pay fot the court system, the judge defense attorney, etc.

I am for death penalty given it is proven beyond doubt that this person killed another.

A dog bites or mauls someone and it gets killed, yet we keep child molesters, rapists, and murderers alive
 Pete_Paranoid
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/17/2009 9:46:05 PM
^ agreed, imho in a nutshell Texas=temporarily insane

Sorry if my comment offends the devil made me do it!
 OneLoneRogue
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/18/2009 5:49:11 AM
I believe in the death penalty ONLY if the person being sentenced is executed within days of the verdict being delivered.

This 'sitting on death row for "X" number of years and appealing the decision' is both a joke and a waste of tax payers money by keeping the inmate fed and housed until such a day comes that the original verdict gets handed down.

I can also see how 'prison overcrowding' is/has become/becoming a problem and since I doubt less people are going to start committing fewer crimes, then something has to be done in order to 'thin out' the prison population otherwise, it's just going to get so bad, and so dangerous for the prison guards, that the # of guards who work there are not going to want to risk their lives by either being stabbed or beat up and killed during a prison outbreak.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/18/2009 6:00:33 AM
This 'sitting on death row for "X" number of years and appealing the decision' is both a joke and a waste of tax payers money

I dont have a problem with an inmate sitting Death Row till all his appeals are heard...
If a State cant afford Justice, then they should not have the Death penalty...Hes gonna be sitting in a cell on a Life charge anyway...Where is the Logic in that.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2009 9:24:54 AM
I believe in the Death Penalty. I also say give them a limited number of appeals.

You want to make the death penalty a deterrent? Televise one ....and require every inmate in every state and federal prison to watch it. Right now it's an abstract to them, make it real and it will be a deterrent.

I am quite certain that public beheadings, stoning and hangings in Muslim countries- as horrific as they are- DO serve as a deterrent for good or ill.

I'm not saying I have any respect for their laws or the way "justice" is meaded out in those countries, just that witnessing something like that is almost certain to have a deterrent effect.
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/7/2009 6:01:36 AM
I feel that the death penalty is nothing more than sating some biblical need for revenge. I'm sure the people the person killed don't give a damn if he's executed or not - because they're DEAD.

Sending some dude to the proverbial gas chamber aint gonna bring their victims back.

"I need closure" is a euphamism for "I want revenge."

readyfornow
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2009 12:32:10 PM
Do I believe in the Death Penalty? Absolutely. Furthermore, I think executions should be televised. Good deterrant.
 JWG86
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/7/2009 12:54:24 PM
I am all for the death penalty.

Economically, a speedy but fair trial process followed switfly by whatever appeals are possible, followed by a short stay on the row and then lethal injection, would be a LOT cheaper than keeping people in jail for life.

Religiously, it is no secret that the death penatly existed in biblical times, and there is nothing in the bible saying it is wrong, in fact, it was established for many crimes.

I see no reason not to have a death penalty. Who cares if it deters crime or not? It is cheaper, and it's not like it's a suprise."What, you mean, I can be killed for killing someone, NO WAY?!"

Really now. Lets just save money and overcrowded prison issues and kill 'em when they commit an offense worthy of death (In my state, that is the rape of someone under 12, IIRC, or the taking of another's life, pre-meditated). (After due process of course!)
 wboydsp
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/7/2009 1:08:00 PM
I say go back to public executions. Stop the endless appeals and get it over with. And quit putting them to sleep. A decent firing squad or a strong rope.
The death penalty makes sense. It states that life is so precious that if you destroy one person's life. You need to pay with your own. People who oppose the death penalty don't seem to respect life much. Most I have talked to have no problem with the slaughter of children for convienience this society sickengly calls a choice. But thier hearts bleed for people who kill and rape. Too me that is warped.
Public executions would serve as a deterent
 JWG86
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/7/2009 1:50:10 PM
“For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, let him be put to death’” (Matthew 15:4).

Paul says in Acts 25:11, “If I am a wrongdoer, and have committed anything worthy of death, I do not refuse to die; but if none of these things is true of which these men accuse me, no one can hand me over to them.” He both affirms capital statutes and accepts them as binding on him if he has broken one.

Revelation 13:10, “If any one is destined for captivity, to captivity he goes; if any one kills with the sword, with the sword he must be killed. Here is the perseverance and the faith of the saints.”

Genesis 9:6 (New American Standard Bible)
Whoever sheds man's blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.

From beginning to end, capital punishment is supported by the Bible. This is not about Jewish law but rather the spiritual rightness/wrongness of the death-penalty, and in my humble opinion, it is an open and shut case.
 sigridmac
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/7/2009 4:13:19 PM
This is a tough one. I always used to be opposed to the death penalty under all circumstances for humanitarian reasons. But then I started reading about terrible crimes and wondered if certain people hadn't forfeited their right to be here.

However, working in the field of wrongful convictions has led me to believe that there are far too many people on death row who don't belong there. Very large numbers of people have been released within the last 10 years alone based on hard DNA evidence.

Until we become completely error-free in our prosecutions, I can't support the death penalty although if I were part of a family of a murder victim, I bet that I would see it quite differently.
 kow626
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/8/2009 4:25:53 PM
i firmly disagree with the death penalty because it makes the law contradict itself. someone has to adminster the lethal injection. someone has to flip that switch to carry out an execution. whoever that person is, doesn't that make them a murderer? regardless of if it's their job, it's not self defense. they're not soldiers defending freedom. they're committing murder via a court ruling that in some cases isn't proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. that gives them justification cuz it's the law and they're getting paid to do it? to kill, regardless of guilt? this ain't medieval times but sometimes it appears that way.

i absolutely believe the people that do that for a living enjoy it. they're what i call the smart ones. you know you have a facination with killing, why not do it legally? why not work your way up to that position, a legit profession where you get paid to kill people legally? do you think you could administer death upon another person? it takes a very specific type of person to do something like that.

that's what prisons are for. to punish the guilty. no matter how barbaric the crime, an eye for an eye shouldn't be factored into any court of law but always is by the simple existence of the death penalty. i have to assume it brings closure to the victims' families cuz the offender no longer exists, therefore they can't commit anymore crimes. death penalty is based on severity of crime. but killing to avenge the killed makes those that pass that brand of justice no better than the person being sentenced. they should sentence themselves if that's the case cuz they're killers too.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:50:33 AM

i firmly disagree with the death penalty because it makes the law contradict itself. someone has to adminster the lethal injection. someone has to flip that switch to carry out an execution. whoever that person is, doesn't that make them a murderer?

No. The executioner is an agent of The State, And the State is allowed to execute a criminal as long as the state provide Due Process to the person in his legal precedings.

The Consttutions 14th amendment, sec 1...

... No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

***Meaning if the state provides "Due Process" a person can lose their life.

and for all you that quote Bible passages..."Eye for an Eye", save it for sunday school. There no Justification for the Death Penalty used from the Bible.
 kow626
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/10/2009 8:06:00 AM

Maybe if we did more of the death penalty or done what they did in the olden days of stoning we wouldn't have the crime rate we do.

actually, stricter punishment has done very little to deter crime. being more relaxed in what is considered a criminal offense is the solution to jail/prison overcrowding. understanding the types and severity of a crime would ease the burden too. i'll ask all of you the very same question i ask people when i debate this issue with real people: who would you rather have as a neighbor: a murderer or an email spammer? a rapist or a con artist? a carjacker or a money launderer?

shuts 'em up every time. violent crime is different from non-violent crime and these people shouldn't be incarcerated together. should bernie madoff have to share a cell with say, btk? i don't think so. i wouldn't even incracerate non-violent offenders (child sex offenders excluded) in the same fashion as violent ones. yes, they deserve punishment but they didn't injure or kill anyone or destroy property. but that's just how i see things. as far as severity of crimes, so you got a spliff, so you cussed at a cop, so you're a prostitute, etc. no one is being hurt physically, nothing is being damaged, do they really gotta take up jail space that we pay for? i don't think so. you can **** yourself up all you want, but if you ain't hurtin' nobody else, it ain't necessary.

No. The executioner is an agent of The State, And the State is allowed to execute a criminal as long as the state provide Due Process to the person in his legal precedings.

i sort of acknowledged that but i still don't agree with it. the executioner is still a murderer. a smart one, but still a murderer.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/10/2009 10:07:24 AM
The 2008 Florida Statutes
782.04 Murder.--
(1)(a) The unlawful killing of a human being:

Since Florida allows for a Death Sentance, and The Constitution allows States to preform executions, this is Legal and not in the legal sence murder.

In your Heart you may feel this is murder, but we dont write laws based on your feelings.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/10/2009 11:02:24 AM

At best, capital punishment is state sanctioned revenge and at worst state sanctioned murder.

If you dont like the Constitutuion, change it.

Dont argue a point and expect me to change the law. you get like minded people and change the law. right now, abortion is legal, death sentance is legal...so if you want to call it murder, knock yourself out. but that doesnt change the law.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 76
Posted: 7/11/2009 8:26:13 PM
I wouldnt consider ourselves Civilized if we do away with Death as a Penalty. I would consider ourselves Civilized when we as a people stop Kinapping, raping, and Killing our children...Or stop killing in cold blood our Law enforcment Officers...Or robbng and killing a store Owner over 12 Dollars.
 7iron
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/12/2009 7:25:52 AM
I am for the death penalty. When someone is convicted of such a heinous crime that would warrant the death penalty, that person is a definite threat to society, and if they ever find their way back into society they will surely pick up where they left off. What would happen if Charles Manson was set free? There are enough weak-minded people out there who would gladly join his new band of murderers, yet on this very day someone has started a new thread suggesting California should set him free. Surely the thread was started in jest and will be short-lived but anything is possible.

The contention that life without parole is just as good a safety measure to protect society just doesn’t hold water in my opinion. Who can guarantee this person will never see freedom again? Who’s to say the SCOTUS may someday rule that everyone deserves parole? Stranger things have happened and will happen in the future given the ever-changing makeup of the courts and congress.

I don’t think of the death penalty as a deterrent for future heinous crimes committed by other criminals. Does anyone think a criminal is going to stop and think about which crimes they can commit and which ones they cannot based on the death penalty?

The thinking that the death penalty is a deterrent or an eye for an eye is not the reason it should be used. It is the only way to rid society of this criminal who knows right from wrong yet chooses to commit these crimes anyway.
 kow626
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/12/2009 7:33:38 AM

The thinking that the death penalty is a deterrent or an eye for an eye is not the reason it should be used. It is the only way to rid society of this criminal who knows right from wrong yet chooses to commit these crimes anyway.

that's what incarceration is for.
 7iron
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/12/2009 7:42:46 AM
^^^^^^ And you can guarantee without a doubt these criminals will never ever be set free? I don't think so.
 QTpoet
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:47:36 AM
"First, I feel that prisons should not be for punishment, they should be for rehabilitation."-Cultured

Well put. Prisons as a system should be used to make society a better place. Although if something happens to someone dear to you, you are not going to want to hear about the offenders issues or trying to make him a better person. You will want revenge, which is natural, but not (in my eyes) just.

I believe the old saying goes, "Two wrongs don't make a right."
 SAguy_06
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/12/2009 10:05:49 AM
the government which has charge over us , should always act in a civilized manner,

No, "WE" are the Government and at any time we wish to change the fact that we give the penalty of death, then the People can change that law. As of right now, we the People through each State's Legislature decides wether their State preforms the Death Penalty. Timothy Mcveigh, after he Murdered all those babies in Oklahoma was sentenanced by a Federal Court to be executed. .

there will always be evil in our country
it is unfortunately, part of our nature
for some, they can control it
others can't, or won't, or don't care to.

You are right there will always be evil in our country...And I want to see the people like McVeigh are Punished for their crime. And send a message to all others, The same awaits you.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >