Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kow626
Msg: 84
Lets Talk Politics - Do you believe in the Death Penality?Page 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

And you can guarantee without a doubt these criminals will never ever be set free? I don't think so.

the only thing guaranteed in life is a physical death. there is no guarantee that criminals of the violent sort will stay locked up forever. any kind of determined criminal will try and get what they want, no matter what, even a jailbreak. if they want out, they'll figure out a way. but one has to hope facilities are secure enough for that not to happen. we can only hope. but death isn't the solution to the doubt. even if their sentencing doesn't put them behind bars long enough, let's say they do get out. most likely they wouldn't be physically capable of heinous crimes anymore if it's a long sentence. plus people would know who he/she is. in that case, knowledge is power depending on if they're violent or non-violent offenders. you gotta apply street justice into the equation too. same way a determined criminal will commit their crimes, a vengeful person will exact their revenge. lotta variables in play when considering the justice system.
 MikedCA
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Lets Talk Politics - Do you believe in the Death Penality?
Posted: 7/12/2009 8:59:27 PM
Whatever happened to firing squads? Get a few hooded guys, give them each a rifle, load one up with a bullet and the rest with blanks and have them all shoot at the criminal at the same time. None of them know who actually shot the fatal bullet so none of them are responsible.
 7iron
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:01:40 PM
Ameerra: I'd pull the switch if those were the only two choices. Personally I would prefer a gun or use them as bait while trolling for sharks.
 JWG86
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/13/2009 12:31:05 AM
Ameera, yes, SOMEONE will have pulled the fatal trigger, but responsibility diffuses in a crowd. Check it out. Do you work in a public place?

Would the phone be answere faster with 4 people standing by it, none of whom were specifically there to answer phones, or with 1 person, not there specifically to answer it, standing by it when it rang?

People always diffuse responsibility. That is why you always dictate a task to the smallest group that can possibly get it done on schedual. It saves resources and insures the best quality of work.

As to it being wrong to take someone's life because they killed another--that isn't why we are killing them. It isn't about "punishment", per-se. It is about ridding society of someone who fits in SO BADLY that they have destroyed the lives of others--and would continue to do so--if they were allowed to live. It is about protecting the freedom and life and limb and well-being of others, and not forcing us to pay for that person to be fed/housed/clothed for half a centurt to the tune of almost $30,000 a year of OUR money. They will not kill a criminally insane person. Ergo, if you are sane, you know what you did WILL QUITE POSSIBLY get you put to death--and you still did it. Well, you knew the price and it was worth it--you still made the purchase, and I still side withthe man at the register who takes the fee.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/13/2009 3:40:10 PM
I think people who believe in the death penalty should do the killing themselves.

If they are comfortable with being a murderer, so be it.

When you ask a person who supports the death penalty whether they will pull the switch or administer the lethal injection, often their iron-clad belief waivers.

They want it done, but not by their hand.

This is a bogus arguement, there is no blood thirst, no glee, and no party feeling to executions. but even legal executions are difficult for the executionor. many are replaced as a Juror is. if you had someone sit on a jury in a Heinous murder case after heinous murder case, that juror would melt down, even though he's doing his civic duty, their psyche could only take so much.

I believe I do have the temperment to carry out a sentance of death. but I dont thnk I would want to make it my Profession.
 JWG86
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/13/2009 3:44:37 PM

If this were true, the pro-death crowd would support "life without parole" for murder. It keeps the murderer off the streets, protects the public, and is cheaper than then death penalty.

Last time I checked, a good JHP .45ACP round ran around $.75 a piece.

I am more a fan of less filibuster, fair trial, decision, execution of decision, very timely manner.
 Katydid77
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/13/2009 6:47:48 PM
On a national scale, I do not believe in the death penalty. Just because I am a Christian and don't see how it can be 'without doubt' enough to ensure that it is always used properly. Also, there is no evidence that having a death penalty option reduces crime.

On a personal scale, however, I would kill anyone that had seriously harmed a loved one. That I have no problem with.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/14/2009 7:53:41 AM
You've proven my point with your last statement. You're okay with it being done, but you don't want to do it.

Can I do it for one year, then retire, or how about 5 executions...

Your point was clearly to show people that advocate using the death penalty are not able to "flip the switch" so to say...and Im saying that has no weight of merit in wether a peron should agree with or disagree with your arguement.

I believe that I can care and protect myself, but I appreciate that people have dedicated their lives to Protect and Serve us all. If I am against crime and want a professional to protect me, I should not be called out because I cant or would not like to be a Public servant.

SAguy_06
Msg: 100
Posted: 7/14/2009 1:02:20 PM

I think it's easy to approve doing something wrong

I might remind you, the Constitution is not wrong.
You may disagree with the law, but until you change the Law, it is Legal.... Them are Apples.

Now, if you want to relagate all those that agree with the Law as...wrong because they would be unwilling or unable to carry out an execution.... Them are Oranges

One not related to the other.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 101
Posted: 7/14/2009 4:12:22 PM
I think OP is 100% correct. God should decide whether a convicted murderer should live or die. Put them in front of a firing squad, hang them from a tree, hook them up to some juice, or whatever, and see if God will save them. If they survive, turn them loose.
 tjrogelio
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 6:52:27 PM
I live in Cambodia. After having more than a quarter of its population (1.7 million by most estimates) killed by its then government (Khmer Rouge), Cambodia presently has no death penalty. A tough lesson learned.
 geeleebee
Msg: 104
Posted: 7/14/2009 6:58:50 PM

...in my opinion, because often these individuals would not want the responsibility of doing the killing themselves, which makes them in my view, hypocritically wrong.

And, for those of us who would accept the responsibility of dispatching the convicted off this mortal coil? Still hypocrites?

I believe that the death penalty discourages the person who committed and was convicted of a capital crime from committing another--and I believe that at least one person has refrained from murdering another because of the death penalty.
 JWG86
Msg: 106
Posted: 7/14/2009 11:27:00 PM

If God wanted them dead, do you think you'd get the chance?

Do you presume to know the mind of God?
 kow626
Msg: 107
Posted: 7/14/2009 11:56:22 PM

I believe that the death penalty discourages the person who committed and was convicted of a capital crime from committing another

then how do you explain repeat offenders? death penalty or no, some people just don't learn. should those people who commit repeated crimes not involving someone dying be sentenced to death too?

and I believe that at least one person has refrained from murdering another because of the death penalty.

in the case of a murderer, do you really think they're thinking of whatever penalty will come their way if caught and convicted when they're committing the act? especiallly crimes of passion.
 JWG86
Msg: 108
Posted: 7/15/2009 12:09:28 AM
Kow626:

-crimes of passion usually do not recieve the death penalty as they are not premeditated and many are commited during bouts of "temporary insanity" (for what that's worth).
-A lot of criminals DO NOT consider their actions based on penalties--however, have you ever heard of the saying that "locked doors keep honest people honest"? I belive it is very applicable here.
-Repeat offenders, well, some people are just losers. Let's face it. Do I think we should kill someone who can't help but shove a packet of gum in their pocket every time they go to the grocery store? No, I don't. However, I don't want to "let them continue", nor do I want to support them for 60 years in prison. I think that psychological evaluation and determination of an individuals true threat to society is warrented in the case of repeat defenders. Only then can a decision reguarding their future be made.
 kow626
Msg: 109
Posted: 7/15/2009 12:23:47 AM
however, have you ever heard of the saying that "locked doors keep honest people honest"? I belive it is very applicable here.

some people have the criminal instinct and some don't. we've seen it rear it's head more than ever in this economy. allegedly "good people" resorting to crime just to stay afloat. i don't buy it. if that door was unlocked, a truely honest person wouldn't commit any crime because of or relating to it. but a dishonest person will, plain and simple. bait cars are a good example of that. just cuz it's there and ripe for the pickings don't mean you gotta mess with it. and if a dishonest person wanted to take a car, they would, locked or not.

I think that psychological evaluation and determination of an individuals true threat to society is warrented in the case of repeat defenders.

i do agree that we should study the brains of criminals more than we already do to see what makes them tick. but in your shoplifting example, if the person is a long-time repeat offender, what would you do? chop off their hands like some countries or something else more or less severe since you don't wanna spend money keeping them in prison? what would your solution be in this case?
 Andy687
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 12:57:34 AM
My 2 cents:

In some cases, the death penalty is a good thing. We all know that charles manson is a waste of space. If you let him out today he'd go right back to his same old activities.
 no_excuses_please
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/15/2009 1:51:05 AM
Nope.
Waste of money,waste of time and will almost certainly (if it has not already) lead to the execution of an innocent person.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/2/2009 3:32:00 PM
unless you live in Godmerica, what does god have to do with your States Penal code?

What humans don't have the power to do is send a person to hell.

There is nothing about sending a person to Hell in the Texas Penal Code...Where he go after facing Justice is up to him.
 kow626
Msg: 115
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:07:48 PM

It is more common than not for individuals to base their opinions on their overall belief system, and faith is often a part of that. God is relevant because it's an opinion, not because of the topic of the opinion.

faith is one thing but god is a seperate entity altogether. so for someone to throw god into the mix generally means that they don't have their own valid opinions. god forms their opinions, not themselves, when they have to include that. and that generally makes their opinions invalid cuz it's not their own if that makes sense. like this discussion is about the death penalty. it's clear when someone's rhetoric is lacking that they play the god card due to their lack of debating skills. all the god references mean nothing because it's irrelevant to the topic at hand. SAguy is simply refuting those invalid arguments and I'm with him on that.
 kow626
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:24:16 PM

Either that or they simply express themselves differently then you do. Making such assumptions in a casual conversation just as this seems to be a bit bullying, IMO. Try taking others' thoughts and opinions at face value instead of suggesting inferiority (or worse, that their opinions aren't valid simply because they are not expressed as you would prefer.)

i respect everyone's opinion and i never take anything at face value unless i have to. i never think anyone or their opinions are inferior to my own either. some things you have to accept as they are. i think we can agree on that. in this case, i have to accept the opinions of people who can't express themselves fully. i don't agree with it or the god complex; and those particular opinions are invalid to me cuz they're not expressive of the individual but rather the god that they created in their own mind. but i do accept them.
 btj_rv
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:28:13 PM
I think for a lot of people the issue is more a matter of fairness. I'm all for the death penalty when it is administered fairly. Legal representation plays a role with that. As well as the judicial branch within states and countries. DNA evidence and more advanced technologies available now improves upon a system that didn't get it right for some in the system. It is interesting how forensic scientist are coming up with new ways to identify criminals. But I think even so fairness is going to be paramount.
 kow626
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/2/2009 5:36:21 PM

What exactly does it mean if someone else's opinion is "invalid" to you? That certainly doesn't line up with respect.

allow me to explain. an invalid opinion is one that has no merit. like when i was unemployed, a friend of mine kept telling me to go to job fairs and kept on hyping the opportunities that are there, how i'd increase my odds of getting a job, that he respects those that take the time to attend rather than sitting at home on their ass doing nothing or collecting an easy paycheck from the government and shit like that.

problem is, he's never once in his damn life ever been to a job fair. in addition, he's been employed throughout this whole economic crisis and therefore has no clue about employment trends cuz he admits he doesn't stay on top of those things. yet he's trying to give me advice.

all he knew of job fairs was what he saw in newspaper and internet ads and local tv news reports. he had no real world, hands-on, personal experience with them. but i do, although in the past. being unemployed, for me, meant having no choice but to stay up on trends and networking. i'm gainfully employed again through my own efforts, never attending a job fair since my previous experience with them and personal knowledge, and negative things i've heard from others. so even though his opinion is completely and totally invalid, i have no choice but to respect and accept it cuz that's his opinion. what you call taking it at face value. i can try to change someone's mind but it's up to the individual to decide what's fact from fiction. and he still promotes and believes in job fairs.
 kow626
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/2/2009 5:45:33 PM

When you apply "no merit" to an opinion, it simply means that you disagree... although it's a condescending way of expressing your disagreement.

no merit means exactly that: no merit. would you ask for fishing advice from someone you know has never gone fishing before? if they gave you advice, and you knew they had no clue what the hell they were talking about, would it still hold weight? you'd have to ACCEPT it cuz that's what they're giving you. You even have to RESPECT it cuz they tried, even if they make no sense. their opinion and advice has no merit in this situation. you neither agree nor disagree. you just take it for what it is and filter out what you feel is worthy and discard what's not.
 btj_rv
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/3/2009 5:44:17 PM

After finding her husband or boyfriend in bed with another woman, Karla took a pick-axe to them. While spending 2 decades on death row she had a religious conversion. Unlike many so called "conversions" this one seemed to be real. Everyone who knew her said she was a completely different person than the one who did the crime. Many religious leaders including the Pope tried to convince Bush not to execute her. Instead Bush went on the radio and mocked her pleas for mercy before he had her executed as planned.

I hadn't read this story but I'll say that there is a difference between heat of passion between spouse which would amount to voluntary manslaughter in several states. And committing the crime when planned.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >