Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Vannili
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Random compliments not a good thing?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Msg.1:
I apologized for that woman's behavior,she's got no class and poise... Or she has a mental issue.

So much for being nice and giving random compliments,eh? Whatever happened to the ole' Thank You?????

Civil people knows how to use the word, Thank You...
 jellybean2
Msg: 52
Random compliments not a good thing?
Posted: 12/10/2009 12:24:23 AM
I have to admit, in the unlikely event that this ever happened to me, my first reaction probably WOULD be to view the guy with one eyebrow raised. It's sad, but that seems to be the way the world works these days. However, once I felt assured that my personal safety wasn't being threatened, I'd actually be pretty pleased that someone had taken the trouble to say something nice about me. The only problem is, that once I felt safe enough to enjoy the compliment, the person would have been long gone, and I'd never get to thank them for it.

Whatever my initial reaction though, I CAN say that I would never respond the way this woman did! What a rude individual!

As usual though, it's a minority of people that has made it hard for the rest of us to try and make the world a better place.
 jellybean2
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/10/2009 12:58:44 AM
Jack the Ripper and Harold Shipman both had British accents. The perceived threat doesn't come from a person's accent, it comes from their body language, it comes from their tone of voice, and it comes from how far into my personal space they're getting, lol
 Strings6
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:44:59 AM
Perhaps she was just a typical **** acting like a typical ****
 el lagarto
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:19:12 AM
Brings to mind that "book by it's cover" thing ! What a pill !!!!

Personally - if it went down like you say , at the very least I would have smiled , and probably said thanks .

I do random compliments too - and even though I'm female , there's still some folks that don't know how to handle it. Won't stop me though !

Hopefully your friend won't be permanently discouraged from continuing as well !
 DIVISION77
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:27:19 AM
Baldy is right.

Women out west are generally receptive to honest compliments.

Out here, there's a shortage of men who do such a thing.

ditto on the Jersey girl thing, not my type.....

NotElvisJunior
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:47:58 AM
RoadTrip3500 wrote:
I would say this:
"I guess no one is simply nice to you very often... and now I see why. Good night."

But that is because you're a concise writer/speaker, and I tend to be . . ah . . shall we say "excessively wordy"

I like yours way better!
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/10/2009 11:57:29 AM
I can't believe it didn't work out for your friend, OP. I mean, walking up to a random beautiful woman and telling her that she's beautiful. And that didn't compel her to throw herself into his arms in response to such a meaningful and original comment?

The girl was a beyotch for sure, if indeed that's how it all went down. But complimenting women just for the sake of doing so will just empower women like that even more, making them feel they have complete control over men and entitled to treat them like garbage.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:02:56 PM
You have to keep in mind that attractive women have to deal with every loser in the world spewing garbage out of their mouth just because a hot woman happens to walk by. It's got to get old for them. Of course, you'd think they'd adapt to it a little better and more appropriately and just say thanks or something, especially if the guy was not being sleazy about it.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:19:24 PM
I talk to a lot of people in a day and if I think someone is dressed nice, their hair looks good,the color they have on compliments them, I will tell them.I stopped a lady in Superstore one day and told her...I just have to say, I love your hair, you've probably heard that before, though. She had white hair,cut in a funky style...long on one side and short through the back and the one side, with a black streak on the long side. She was 65 and looked about 50,I found out this from the long conversation we had after that ,and she ended up giving me her hairdresser's card.

I have been told by the guy that works at the gas station I go to that I am a good looking woman, I just smiled and said thanks, and once in the bar a stranger came up to me, asked me my name and told me I was beautiful.I asked him his name and said thank you.Made my day, both times! Why a person would react negative to a random compliment is way beyond me.What harm is it going to do to give a person a compliment or to take a compliment, given to you, graciously?
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 2:40:48 PM
Ugh - I hope not . . I'm not a talented enough actor to even fake that!

Maybe it's the decade I grew up in...
 chrisofpa
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/10/2009 3:49:49 PM
Some random thoughts

1. Maybe it was really a p*ssed off guy in drag who wasn't really used to the high heels.

2. PMS??

3. There is a whole theory on approaching in those situations regarding the body language. The idea is to approach from the front at an oblique angle. If your friend approached her from the rear or directly from the front that causes people to be defensive.

4. Maybe she had a body or two in the trunk and got a little nervous. They still haven't found Jimmy Hoffa.

5. Could be she was a ho and was worried that her pimp daddy would give her a hard time for freebie talking.

6. Don't look at one data point, look at the overall effect of doing what your friend did. You need to look at the middle of the Bell curve, not the tails. Of course, it doesn't sound like tail from her would be worth the effort.

7. Back to body language. There is a definite 'keep out' zone for both male and female. In a case like you mentioned, the keep out zone is even deeper. Kind of like a ticked off aegis destroyer. Stay out of the bubble.

8. Maybe he had a Phillies t-shirt on and she was a Mets fan.

End random thought process....
 Vannili
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 6:30:56 PM
Maybe she was a he, and he regrets changing his sex into a woman, how dare some dude said she was beautiful when he doesn't feel it, because he still have weanie dangling below his belt.~~~~~~~~

Oops! corny joke, I have to tickle myself to laugh at my joke.
 Mr.Versatility
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/12/2009 6:43:09 AM
We dont know your friend so its hard to determine things here, if a guys hot than a woman might like it if hes not she will probabaly be more offended, women are like that!
 Helen0426
Msg: 77
Posted: 12/14/2009 8:38:29 PM

It was a bit of an extreme reaction, but consider this; How many times each day does a gorgeous woman have some stranger come up and tell her she is beautiful?

I was in a long-term relationship with a former model and I can tell you it happens sometimes up to 10 or 15 times per day and if they're having a bad day, the tenth person to say it isn't likely to receive a warm reception. The biatch shield becomes a time-management tool.

Guys, if you see a beautiful woman, the last thing you want to say to her is that she's beautiful. Yeah, she knows she is and she also knows that she is MUCH more than her looks.

That is so well said. I've mentioned elsewhere that I've had a couple of friends who were truly stunning by any standard, and while I never saw either of them react quite that way (neither was ever so foul), there were certainly times they were just tired of it and got a bit mean-mouthed quite uncharacteristically. Sometimes you're just the 50th guy that day and she's had enough already. A bad reaction from someone like that almost always genuinely isn't personal toward you. She's just fed up is all.
 jojoaus
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2010 6:08:15 AM
I had one random compliment that stuck in my mind from years ago... a man came up to me and told me I had the most beautiful smile he had ever seen. I was shocked, but in a good way. I stammered out a 'thank you' as he turned and left. That is the BEST thing about random compliments- they are given with no expectation s for a return on investment as it were! That compliment was about 20 years ago but it stayed with me. Got a backhanded compliment from a taxi driver last year after a big night out with workmates... he said "you looked kind of sour when I pulled up but then you smiled and you looked lovely"... I really didn't know how to taken that one!!

My kid gets random compliments for her tattoo on her arm- a stylised guitar. An old woman was the latest, on the trains in Sydney.

I too hope your friend does not get discouraged about giving compliments and chalks this one up to experience!!
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/5/2010 5:50:32 AM

"Sorry for just randomly approaching you, but I wanted to tell you that I think you're incredibly beautiful. Have a nice night."

i do not think he should have said it like that. to me, that sounds like he wanted to hook up with her or something. he could have just said "you're pretty" and that is it. she probably would have said "Thank you, but i'm not interested" or whatever.

Seriously, are you kidding me? My friend just walked back to the car, shrugged and we left. How obnoxious can someone be? He gives a compliment, walks away without pushing his compliment and she rips in to him.

If you think that is bad, mine is worse. I just simply say to someone "Nice shoes" or "pretty nails" and they curse me out or walk away without saying anything (I even got slapped once). i do not get why people think it is okay to be rude to strangers. Even if you are not interested in them, they could at least be polite.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/15/2010 6:06:11 PM
The OP's intent was good....
But time and place is everything.

To try to chat up a girl...at night...at a gas pump...
is the wrong way to go.
She is in a vulnerable position,
and would be defensive toward any guy bothering her then.

Far better to randomly compliment her if she goes inside the gas station.
In a lighted area with people about she may be more open and charmed at the remark.

Time and Place young buckos.
 treselle
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2010 7:21:35 PM
A man told me that he was always attracted to aggressive girls. I bet so is your friend. One can tell if a woman is aggressive or kind, if she is in a bad mood or a good one. To your friend it will often be like this, he just can not help himself. Many men are attracted to BAD GIRLS.
Now, about thanking for a compliment. Who did come up with that???? All a woman should do is just smile.
 treselle
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2010 7:34:39 PM
I met with a guy (I spoke on the phone a number of times) for the first time and he showered me with compliments. It was too much. Such as:" I like your boots, your coat, your hat......" It was just "trying hard to impress". Too much compliments are not good. If you think that every woman can not wait to be complimented by men, you are wrong. The right timing and the right amount of it is very important.
 brewswain
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/17/2010 7:16:37 PM
Women no longer know how to accept a compliment.
But they are being taught that men are evil .............watch any TV show..men are protrayed as buffoons or evil...............
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/17/2012 10:38:10 PM
Ya know.

The reason compliments on here are not a good thing is that many women have husbands or boyfriends who sometimes use their mail. If ya compliment them, and dude sees; it causes them friction. (especiallly if you have some stuff going for ya)

Thats why compliments arnt appreciated.

They've lied about being "really" single; and it's in bad taste for you to do anything that makes their lie cause them grief.

(I say break em up, and CAUSE that grief)

If they cant be honest with you; you shouldnt worry about what happens with their relationship because of their own actions.

Pick her up, use her, do whatever you feel the need to; the consequences arnt yours. (they're theirs)
 damsel19
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/17/2012 11:19:50 PM
Why would a guy do that? Women never do random compliments to strangers, or rarely. It was an inappropriate time and place. She probably gets harrassed all the time and took it as just a sexual come on. He was judging her by her looks and by something she has no control over, just an accident of nature. Random compliments by guys are viewed with suspicion as men usually have an agenda. Not all.
 damsel19
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/17/2012 11:23:59 PM
Treselle

when men do that they usually are wanting to screw you and soon. As you say, the right compliment at the right time and with the right person. They lay it on thick until they get what they want and then you never hear it again.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/18/2012 3:52:45 PM
Random compliments by guys are viewed with suspicion as men usually have an agenda.

Yup; everyones out ta getcha n do ya wrong girls.

Wouldn't it follow logically that a guy who even TALKS to you has an agenda? So, um, where does the compliment change anything for the worse?

Like, when your uncle or grandpa calls ya cutie; is he thinkin sex?

Maybe the ladies who distrust compliments are just miserable b*tches; just maybe.

P.s. Classy women actually "do" compliment.

Maybe some people just like making othrs feel good.

I know; the nerve, but ya.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >