Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 babydoll127
Msg: 83
The Teflon Man....Page 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

Not scientific, but my experience. Breastmilk is better for the child because of the immunities of the mother being passed on to the child.

There is scientific evidence that proves breastmilk is best milk! (sorry couldnt resist that phrase )

Breast milk provides the ideal nutrition for infants. It has the perfect mix of vitamins, protein, and fat -- everything your infant needs to grow. And it's all provided in a form more easily digested than infant formula. Breast milk contains antibodies that help your baby fight off viruses and bacteria. Breastfeeding reduces your baby's risk of having asthma or allergies. Babies who are breastfed exclusively for the first six months, without any formula, have fewer ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and bouts of colic and diarrhea. They also have fewer hospitalizations and trips to the doctor.
Breastfeeding is linked to higher IQ scores in later childhood, especially for babies that were premature. The physical closeness, skin-to-skin touching, and eye contact all help your baby bond with you and feel secure. Breastfed infants are more likely to gain the right amount of weight as they grow rather than become overweight children.
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/breastfeeding-9/nursing-basics
 babydoll127
Msg: 84
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/19/2009 9:34:51 PM
wow future...I thought you knew how to find adequate scientific evidence on the internet. You posted an article written by ONE doctor's OPINION, with no references and no scientific research? hmmmmm...

It's not rocket science to realize that good research constitutes multiple references, multiple case studies, multiple authors, and multiple credentials... Someone's been googling too much
 heterotic
Msg: 85
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:00:06 PM

Breastmilk is better for the child because of the immunities of the mother being passed on to the child.

I was torn apart emotionally because of statements like this my first few weeks of my daughter's life. Hours and hours spent at LLL, and to find out that the breast milk I produced was too dense to make it out of my nipples. I could pump for a couple hours straight and be lucky to get an ounce of breastmilk for my daughter.

Does that mean my daughter has some sort of a poor start? No. I used Formula (Nestle Goodstart makes one that has BL-bifidus, DHA and ARA in it) and don't feel the slightest bit sorry for it.

She has never been sick, not even the SLIGHTEST cold, and guess what? Has nothing to do with momma's milk.
 heterotic
Msg: 86
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:17:48 PM

All of the other antibodies that human beings need are present AT BIRTH. They are not passed through breast milk.

Newborn infants get their maternal protection before birth, via an active transport system in the human placenta that carries maternal antibodies from the mother to the fetus. Unlike all those other animals, human babies are born with all the maternal antibodies they will ever have. That's why we don't need to absorb maternal antibodies from colostrum. And it's why formula-fed babies are not at a disadvantage, compared with breast-fed babies, in their supply of circulating maternal antibodies.

That is what I thought, but I am working while talking on here and didn't have time to look it up.

Thanks for the info, Future
 babydoll127
Msg: 87
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:31:13 PM

You didn't post ANY sources, all you did was make a statement about what you thought about breast milk.

The effect of exclusive breast feeding in the first few weeks after birth on infant morbidity due to infectious and allergic disorders was investigated in three separate prospective studies. In a rural community in India, breast-fed infants had a significantly lower incidence of respiratory infection, otitis, diarrhoea, dehydration and pneumonia. In an urban population in Canada, breast feeding was associated with a marked decrease in the occurrence of otitis and respiratory disease and to a lesser extent of diarrhoea and dehydration. In newborn siblings of children with atopic disease exclusively breast-fed for a minimum of six weeks, the incidence of eczema, recurrent wheezing, elevated serum IgE-antibodies to cow's milk, complement activation in vivo after milk challenge and hemagglutinating antibodies to beta-lactoglobulin was significantly lower compared with formula-fed matched group. These observations provide clinical data attesting the immunologic advantages of human milk.
PIP: 3 separate prospective controlled studies in India and Canada were conducted to determine the immunologic benefits of breastfeeding. In the Indian rural study, 35 newborn infants breastfed exclusively for at least the first 2 months of life were studied (average duration of breastfeeding, 4.8 months; range, 2.2-8.5 months), along with 35 bottlefed controls (using fresh cow's or buffalo's milk) matched as to socioeconomic status, parental education, occupation and family size. In the Canadian urban study, 30 breastfed neonates (average duration of breastfeeding, 3 to 6 months, range 2.5-5.8 months) and 30 matched bottlefed controls were similarly studied. The third study consisted of 37 infants exclusively breastfed for the first 6 weeks of life or longer; these infants had older siblings diagnosed as having an atopic disease. The controls consisted of 37 bottlefed infants who also had an older sibling with an allergic disease. In both the Indian and Canadian studies, all breastfed infants had significantly lower incidence of respiratory and diarrheal diseases and of complications such as pneumonia and dehydration (p0.001 in the Indian study; in the Canadian study, p.001 for respiratory infection and otitis media, p0.01 for diarrhea and p0.1 for dehydration) compared with bottlefed infants. In the study of infants with family history of atopy, breastfed infants had a marked reduction in the incidence of clinical atopic eczema and of recurrent allergic wheezing. High levels of serum IgE were seen in a large number of bottlefed infants, as were eosinophilia; IgE antibodies to cow's milk protein (40% of bottlefed babies); hemagglutinating antibodies (84%), and; complement activation in vivo after milk challenge. These findings support the claim that breastmilk provides immunologic benefits to the infant. They also show that 6 weeks of exclusive breastfeeding is effective in reducing the possibility of hypersensitivity and the incidence of manifest allergic disease in susceptible infants.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/118634?ordinalpos=22&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

There, here's a source from Pubmed.
 babydoll127
Msg: 88
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:45:38 PM

All of the other antibodies that human beings need are present AT BIRTH. They are not passed through breast milk.

yes, there are antibodies present at birth, passed from mother to child and yes there are antibodies in breastmilk that pass from mothers milk to baby. Studies have PROVEN this. Of course children in third world countries need more antibodies than us in privileged countries. Sure, a lot of infants are fine when formula fed (thanks to some great companies who have tried their damnedest to mimic breastmilk) BUT this is not equivalent as saying formula is as beneficial as breastmilk because it is not.

Future, you are also forgetting that the human anatomy is systemic and body systems are intertwined. Infections in the GI tract are perfectly capable of traveling through through the blood system and entering the rest of the body.

Let's also not forget the risk for constipation, acid reflux, and COLIC that can accompany formula fed infants.
 heterotic
Msg: 89
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:50:06 PM

BUT this is not equivalent as saying formula is as beneficial as breastmilk because it is not.

You are missing my point entirely. I said that saying an infant needs its mother based solely on an argument that "the mother has the milk", which IS what was said earlier in this thread, is invalid.

Usually breast milk is better for an infant than an alternative (we must consider other things that can be passed through breast milk, and lactose intolerance in the infant), but it is not a necessity anymore.

I also wanted to point out that many women do not breastfeed because they simply do not want to.

So if you are awarded custody based on the fact that you produce the milk, should you be court-ordered to breastfeed exclusively?
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 91
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 2:00:23 AM

Seems like the people here who aren't caveman are starting to understand why you got bumped by your girlfriend. Perhaps she realized how much of a cowardly jerk you are? What do you think? It's a rhetorical question. Please don't bother - you have no idea how little your opinions matters to me.

Sorry for the graveyard reply here, but this caveman was out having fun on the town and talking to hot chicks.

I just saw C-Troll's post.... and... words escape me.

What a strange, self hating man. Conscious... what is cowardly about jumping out of airplanes or going to war. Like... are these words registering to you? You'd piss yourself (sitting down, of course) just to be told some of the things I've seen.. much less see them.

Oh.. btw... I was married. She went crazy. She was the only girl who EVER broke up with or dumped me and it was because of mental illness.

If my opinion really didn't matter to you in some way, shape or form, you would not have just typed up a 5 page forum post with numerous quotes. That obviously took you a bit of time. Seems like an awful lot of effort to go to for a few posts by a person you supposedly don't care about.

It's okay, though. You'll make some person a nice wife one day.

Wacka wacka wacka!
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 93
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:01:05 AM

Just because you have professed to be part of the army...involved in the war and have declared yourself a "hero"...blah..yadda..blah...yadda...yadda..dosen't mean you can act like a jurk off whenever you want to!

Yes it does. Watch me.

I won't date a single mother. Not ever. Not ever-ever.

You should really learn to type like you graduated Jr. High...

Or were you too busy having babies?

ZING!
 hungry_joe
Msg: 96
view profile
History
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 5:49:12 AM
Lizbeth lets take these one at a time. Rethoric is not your strongest subject.

^^^^hmmmmm....she has a name y'know!!..If your gonna comment on someonelses circumstances and comments gadgetoc, I would at the very least expect you to address or refer to ME by name instead of using the pronoun "she" in responding to comments and opinions that directly refer to MY circumstances....typical teflon alpha male BS...If you have questions....happy to answer...careful though..because you may end up looking like a dillhole...

Lizbeth since your are the one that started the thread it is generally assumed that you or your topic is the one being addressed, unless otherwise stated. Hence, the use of the pronoun. As far as being an Alpha, congradulations you're the first person to ever address me with that title. You win a cupie doll. I thought I was an Epislon male. :)

^^^^HMMMM...."this woman"....whoever are you referring too Tealwood?...Again....if you have any questions...I am happy to answer...but beware...you might end up looking like a jerkk off...It would seem that men such as yourself have spent alot more time investigating how to manipulate the system than I have cashing the cheques I have recieved over the last 3 years....please do tell how I can manipulate all these loopholes that you have the inside track on...cause I just glued my sandles back together from last summer! BTW...."this woman"....has a name...teflon Tealy!

Him educating others on how the social system was very enlightening to those of us not in Canada. He was not saying that you directly were manipulating the system. However, you are using it to your advantage. You will have waste, fraud, and abuse whenever people are allowed to use tax dollars for their benifit. Be they corporations or individuals. That is just a fact of life. Oh note that I am using the pronoun Him and he refering to Tealwood.

^^^whatever your smokin...is a waste of money cappy...invest in something that has a better return than bitterness and victimhood...it really is a total turn-off!!
I have more empathy and understanding for my ex husband because of the victim statements from some of the men I read on here. That dosen't mean I respect that type of mentality though...so if everyone thinks I am self-entitled...so what...I do what I think needs to be done for the benefit of my kids.
It is in my kids best interest to keep their Father motivated and engaged with his kids so they have a shot of becoming responsible adults who understand empathy and compassion instead of just learning to be bitter and the "alpha" victim!
As I have stated a gazzillion times in the past....my ex pays me alot less than he is required too by the guidelines..and I have reached the point not too depend on cp as income. Money is only money....and cp is temporary...but what all of you alpha ***holes fail to realize is...that childhood is also a very short-term temporary phase.
I will not apologize for making the choice to work-part time (an option my company gave me on a 4 yr limtd time span) to stay home and raise the children I am ultimately (and perhaps almost solely) responsible for.
I guess the flip side would be..me working full-time....getting twice the amount of funding for subsidized daycare while feeding my kids fries and pizza every night, forced in making the choice to do laundry so they had clean underpants instead of helping them with their homework....Naw...thanks anyway....I want my kids to call the baby sitter mommy by accident....instead of them calling me the babysitters name out of habit!
FYI....remember...we will all get old one day..rest assure that I will have taught my children the meaning of empathy, compassion, and understanding as they grow into adults with this time I am taking "off" by CHOOSING to work part-time.
It kinda comes down to taking responsibility for the children you help bring into this world (whatever the scenerio)..However, if anyone has any quewstions about my past working history...or my current finacial situation...I invite you all to ask the question....but I am so friggen tired of most of you assuming the judgement!!!!

Lizbeth this one particularly bothered me. I have my son everyday and I am able to cook him quick nutrious meals. I do not need pizza, burger, or other fast food places to do the cooking for me. It takes about an hour out of my day. I also clean the dishes, do laundry or whatever, while it is cooking. So, your argument holds no water with me. Since you're concerned with money lets talk money for a moment. Last year, I was neting $423.25 every two weeks, and getting monthly disablity check for a wopping $117. Nice for permante head trauma. That was working a full time job, and paying support to my ex. I had to do without certain things. Like cable television, internet, and so on. I somehow made it work for my son and I. When I needed assistance and asked for it I was turned down. So yes, it burns my butt a bit that you have this attitude that the world owes you a living. What everyone is telling you is you can be in your childs life, and still work full time, and manage a home. It is called time management.

I don't think it was solider that brought up the story form the front. I did and it was to demonstrate a larger point, in the context of the converstation.

I hope this was informative Lizbeth. If you'd like I can explain logic rethoric, budgeting, and time management with you in greater detail. I might be able to help you out.
 heterotic
Msg: 97
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 8:43:37 AM
Here's a thought:

If you do not want your taxes to pay for assistance to those who need it... vote for reform. Honestly, you're pretty much in the wrong nation altogether.

I applaud those using the resources available to them to be the best parents they can be in their situation. Plenty of married women use the same assistance to stay home full or part time if their husband's income is not enough to support three people. If you are going to pick at one, you must pick at all.

I'm more worried about the questionable things our governments spend our tax dollars on.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 98
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 9:03:52 AM

I guess the flip side would be..me working full-time....getting twice the amount of funding for subsidized daycare while feeding my kids fries and pizza every night, forced in making the choice to do laundry so they had clean underpants instead of helping them with their homework....Naw...thanks anyway....I want my kids to call the baby sitter mommy by accident....instead of them calling me the babysitters name out of habit!

Teflon Lizzie comes a-ridin' in hidin' behind her Teflon Deflector Shield gums a-flappin'....

I love it lizzie. Trust you to do exactly what you accuse men of doing. Deflect it all, try to avoid it, but your Entitlement Attitude still shines through, sweetums.

And, by the by, I'm not a victim, nor am I bitter, though I get the feeling YOU like the martyr role of taking less from your ex than you could nail him for. It must really piss you off, though, that you can't collect all the money from him instead of having to share it with the other woman he was involved with <-...if I remember correctly.

Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 99
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 9:27:38 AM

Lizbeth has a right to state the observations she has made and if you'all don't like it well, I guess perhaps it is because she has struck a nerve that is rather uncomfortable for some of you.

Of course lizzie has the right to state her opinion about her observations, but she seems always to forget that her interpretation of what she sees is not NECESSARILY the truth.

Lizzie deflects more and justfies far more than any guy here.

She'd help herself by attempting to make sense once in a while. She'd give herself a modicum of credibility if she could somehow bring herself to acknowledge that men actually have a POV and experiences that just MAY have some validity.

... though, on the other hand, the bizarre things that spew forth from her is a great source of entertainment....

hungry_joe
Msg: 100
view profile
History
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 9:38:38 AM
Bosoxfan, your all or nothing solution is a red herring. You can reform the law to set limits on those would abuse, or otherwise malinupate the system for their own selfish needs. Assistance, should be used sparingly for those that need it. It should not be used to enable slothful behavior. Lizbeth in her heart of hearts knows she's wrong. I am not calling you slothful Lizbeth. Just not living upto your capablity. Lizbeth before I make anymore assumptions on your situation let me ask this: What is your support system like? I mean do you have parents, friends, able to help you with child care? If that is the case I would suggest working a full-time job working a swing shift so you can care for your daughter durring the majority of her waking hours, as you do now as a part-timer. Lizbeth your argument make you come off like the grass-hopper that thought the world owed him a living, vs. the industrius ant.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 101
view profile
History
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 11:04:48 AM
Fair enough, but, I did ask some questions of her. I am waiting for her reply. Yes Lizbeth her means you. itsallinthesoul, was not meant as a slight, at Lizbeth, more an observation. I can reconize that she may not be expressing her postion in the way should like. It was more a plead for her to refine, and define her postion and arguement. I may be misinterperting her arguement, though unlikely, I am willing to give her (Lizbeth) the benifit of the doubt.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 102
view profile
History
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 12:03:58 PM
BTW Lizbeth, can I please stop using your name in every sentence about you? It makes me feel like I am talking to a small child not a contempory peer. I much rather have you as a peer even if we disagree.
 heterotic
Msg: 103
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 12:46:12 PM

Bosoxfan, your all or nothing solution is a red herring. You can reform the law to set limits on those would abuse, or otherwise malinupate the system for their own selfish needs. Assistance, should be used sparingly for those that need it. It should not be used to enable slothful behavior. Lizbeth in her heart of hearts knows she's wrong. I am not calling you slothful Lizbeth. Just not living upto your capablity. Lizbeth before I make anymore assumptions on your situation let me ask this: What is your support system like? I mean do you have parents, friends, able to help you with child care? If that is the case I would suggest working a full-time job working a swing shift so you can care for your daughter durring the majority of her waking hours, as you do now as a part-timer. Lizbeth your argument make you come off like the grass-hopper that thought the world owed him a living, vs. the industrius ant.

Married folks manipulate the system far more than any single parent has the ability to.

You are misinterpreting parenting as laziness.

And I feel like all of you are forgetting the child(ren) in this debate. A child needs to be cared for by its parent(s). As the child grows, some of that responsibility is transferred to the child. It is not anyone's job but your own to take care of your children. In fact, it is an incredibly important part of a child's development that has gotten lost in not only the Women's Movement, but in single parenthood. Everyone wants to complain about the lack of good parenting that children receive and the outcome of this, yet you are to put down a woman who is doing her best to reverse that in her own life?
 hungry_joe
Msg: 104
view profile
History
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 2:25:19 PM
No I am not putting Lizbeth down. I am critizing her choice to have the tax pay fote the bill so she can play homemaker. I am all for allowing a wife/live-in choose the path she wants to take. Homemaker, Career, Homemaker till the kids go to school. This is a choice that should be made in a two parent home. When one parent is removed, that choice is effectively made for you. Would you have the same empathy for me a man if I choose to live off the dole so I can raise my childern? Would you respect me? Of course not.

I stated this many times, I have my son full-time, I am taking on the added responsibity of caring for his half sister. Of my own free-will and choice. I don't expect anyone else to pay for my decisions. Before you accuse me of being a right wing Republican type, I am a Democrat, and active in the party. Oh, for the record I am not arguing futureshocks married, finacially secured arguement either. Let's face it life happens. I just look at things as they are not as they should be in a perfect world. We will never acheive perfection, humanity is too flawed, nice goal though. Look humanity has unlimited wants, but, has limited resources therefore we must tempor our desires, and use our reason for the best result of self and community.

Please use your reason and not emotion.

Oh the revising the law, and limiting abuse, was meant all abuse, single, married, corporate. I don't think anyone should use taxpayer money to get over, for any reason.
 heterotic
Msg: 105
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 2:49:11 PM

Please use your reason and not emotion.

You're the one who assumed I am biased towards women. I am biased towards children.

I would absolutely respect you if you took the time to devote your time to your children. Because it's not about YOU. It's about the child that needs the care of his or her parent(s). Did the child ask to live in a single parent home? Why should my child have less time with me because I made the decision to have her despite my situation? She didn't choose that, I did.

I have been paying taxes for a measly 8 years, and just last year I paid $30,000 in taxes. If my business goes south and I need to get a job, as far as I'm concerned I damn well better be allowed to get some assistance if I need it. I agree to pay taxes, I should be allowed to use the resources that money provides.

I bet Lizbeth has been paying taxes her entire adult life, why shouldn't she take advantage of the resources she has helped create?

I don't accuse anyone of affiliating themselves with a political party.

I prefer to speak up about misuse of my tax dollars when they are actually being misused.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 106
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:16:40 PM

Perhaps Lizbeth does not have it within her to work full-time and still give 100% to her children in the limited time she has, perhaps she could and chooses not to. Nobody has asked her why she made the choice but there are a lot of assumptions being made. If Lizbeth is raising children who will be fine adults who contribute more than they drain from society, is that not what really matters?

Everyone wants to complain about the lack of good parenting that children receive and the outcome of this, yet you are to put down a woman who is doing her best to reverse that in her own life?

Why should my child have less time with me because I made the decision to have her despite my situation? She didn't choose that, I did.
I bet Lizbeth has been paying taxes her entire adult life, why shouldn't she take advantage of the resources she has helped create?

I love it.

Now lizzie has some of the other little ladies using the Teflon Deflector Shield for her.

heterotic
Msg: 107
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:19:03 PM
lol I'm not standing up for her, I'm saying the argument of parenting over gainful employment is ridiculous.

Are any of you aware that several in-home daycare providers get paid by the state to watch only ONE child? How do you feel about that?
 hungry_joe
Msg: 108
view profile
History
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:20:14 PM
Explotation is just that, no matter how you justfiy it. I have said time again if there is a need for assistance then it should be used. I don't see the need. I didn't say you took a gender side, I was trying to demonstrate how you would look at me differently, if I were on welfare, and a stay a home daddy (for the welfare of the child(ren). And they don't care if you've never paid into the system or not. When I truely needed it I got none. Why should your child have less time, well because you're responsible, and that's life. It is sometimes tough and hardly ever fair. The purpose of the law was never to be used as a tool so people to work part-time, it was to aid those that were truely in need because they were low income. Therefore, it is an explotation, and misuse, even if you don't see it that way. No one agrees to pay taxes we do so because if we don't the penalties will be too great. That is another philosophical discussion. Only 30,000 you got off cheap. 15% Social Security. 8% medicad/medicare. 13% state tax (NC) Federal rate varies depending on gross reciepts. Then you have your insurance, and workmans comp. Of course various licences.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 109
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:23:24 PM
I think I should get a check just for being hawt.
 heterotic
Msg: 110
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:38:02 PM
Washington state does not tax its resident's income. $30,000 is a rough estimate for last year. I don't remember the exact number, but somehow the last two years at the end I owe around $6,000 even with all I put in. That's not counting business taxes. That's filing as HoH and 2 deductions. I don't see how you could be financially burdened if you have to pay ~$30,000 in taxes every year. My sister has 2 kids and makes $30,000 a year and gets every dime she pays into taxes back, plus about $1,500 in tax credits. She technically is getting paid by the government to work.

I don't see it as exploitation for a mother to take more time caring for her child than being gainfully employed and helping out. I do see people starting daycares to get money from the government when they shouldn't be caring for children at all as misuse.

I don't see myself as being forced to pay taxes. I agree to pay them wholeheartedly. Just like I agree to pay the tolls to keep my roads safe to drive on.

Maybe it's as simple as the differences between a mother's nature and a father's nature, but I don't see eye to eye with you on this one.
 heterotic
Msg: 111
The Teflon Man....
Posted: 6/20/2009 3:38:43 PM

I think I should get a check just for being hawt.

Good point. Let me get my checkbook.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >