Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ideoform
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Vegetarianism....is it a good weight loss tool?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I forgot to mention, that alcohol has its own calories. A lot of calories. Alcohol is a carb! But they are "empty" calories, in that they actually require the body to come up with certain B vitamins and enzymes on its own to process it. So you are actually depleting your body of nutrients when you drink, while also adding calories. This is a double-whammy to your health, plus, the "depleted" feeling can make you crave more food, then.

Avoiding alcohol while dieting also can help you with your will-power. As alcohol can make you "forget" you are on a diet, particularly at parties where both alcohol and junk food is served.

Caffeine is another appetite stimulant. If you avoid caffeine, you will sleep better, as well as eat less.

Plan ahead!
Have a plan when you go out. Bring food with you some of the time, to have as a back-up in case everything served at a social event is a problem. Then the social event is more about the social and less about the food.

I find that bringing food (and/or drinks) to share with everyone that I can eat, and that I know everyone will like is a good thing.
 sgtljb
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Vegetarianism....is it a good weight loss tool?
Posted: 7/1/2009 3:37:08 PM
You are a big guy that's a whole lot of greens to get the nutrients you need. it is possible but if you are a carnivore like myself you wont be happy.

If you seriously want to do this and be semi happy check out:

http://www.healthychefalex.com/index.htm

This is the wife of Morgan Spurlock - the supersize me guy...

She has excellent creative recipes that will keep you interested. at least for a little while till it gets too expensive or too time consuming making the hard recipes.

Will it work? (here is where I'm gonna get jumped on for being politically incorrect)
go to the village in NYC walk around look at the hippie vegetarians, most of them are not exactly tiny... As a vegetarian and a man you also have to worry about being anemic most vegetarians are.
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

If you decide you want to be a vegan read their bible lol :
The Face on Your Plate
The Truth About Food
Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

Just please don't get all psycho and join PETA and start spray painting fur, picketing slaughterhouses and processing plants and try to ruin it for us carnivores... because if it comes down to it and you take away all our protein sources we will then have to eat the weak and frail anemic vegans...

that was a joke people, or was it... just laugh

Hope it helps....

Sincerely,

Louis J. Bianco
 arctor
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 3:24:52 AM
Nope you'll probably just eat more carbs, as no one really likes vegetable. Was vegetarian for a year or longer didn't loose any weight. eat smaller portions of food more often high protein low fat low carb high fiber No fizzy drinks (YES beer is sadly a fizzy drink) not even diet ones as they in no way aid weight loss. Muscle burns fat so do a bit of weight training if not do squats.

Good luck
 StevieCashmere
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2009 6:09:31 AM
It isn't a Tool, It's is a Lifestyle you can choose or Compromise on - but those who don't eat fresh fruit & vegetables as part of their diet every day for life will regret
~sc~
 arwen52
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2009 1:21:23 PM
You know, you can have just as bad a diet being a vegetarian as being an omnivore. Fried foods, cheese, butter - all are vegetarian and high fat. Bananas are very high calorie.

Eating more vegetarian *can* be a healthier choice but it completely depends on the food choices you make. If you're substituting a grilled cheese sandwich for a burger, you probably haven't improved your diet at all. If you're substituting tofu and veggies, then yeah, you're substituting lower fat, higher fiber, less calorie dense foods for that burger and you'll be better off for it.
 Ideoform
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 4:00:20 PM

"I think that after listening to all of the advice, I am not going to go the Vegitarian Route. . . . Looks like portion control, more frequent meals, lower carbs, and continuing to keep off the red meat, soda, and sugar will do it for me."

There's this guy, Mark Bittman, who is a food journalist for the New York Times who has written a lot of books on food and cooking and has had his own TV series where he cooks with Chefs from around the world.

Over the years, he gained some weight and had some health problems after a while. He changed the way he ate, and lost the weight. His style of eating is socially responsible as well as being healthy, without being fanatical about it, and he's very particular that he eats food that tastes good, since he is a "foodie" (the term used to be "gourmande"). He explains a diet that is reasonable and well-thought-out, and includes some meats. You might try his style of eating. It includes more vegetarian type foods, but isn't vegetarian. I like what he calls it; "Lessmeatarianism." He doesn't advocate his way as "The Only Way" to do things...

His last book is called: "Food Matters"

http://www.markbittman.com/books/food-matters
 Ideoform
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 5:45:22 PM
I posted about the book "Food Matters" on another vegetarian thread months ago, but I guess it is OK to repeat it here. He just wrote an article for "Men's Health" called "The Carnivore's Guide To Vegetables."

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=nutrition&category=food.for.fitness&conitem=14842ba02ab65110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

And if you sign up for it on his site, you can get a 7-day meal plan in your e-mail from him.

I don't eat chicken much anymore, but I do prefer my chicken to have seen some daylight in its lifetime so it's not deficient in vitamin D.

I love putting eggplant, sweet corn, baked potatoes and portabella mushrooms on the grill. If you marinade them or put spices on them first, grilled veggies are quite delectable. Then I pig out on cherries and virgin Pina Coladas.
 pieomy
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/20/2009 1:50:06 PM
i wouldn't sacrifice meat to lose weight, just certain types like most red meat, or anything really fatty. Kinda a no brainer, eat more meals in a day with less content in each meal, and exercise..
 Belle Requin
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/23/2009 3:44:10 PM
Considering a cup of shredded lettuce has 5 calories, go nuts and eat 20 portions worth for 100 calories worth in one sitting
I'll have my small portion of steak while you chew yourself silly. 100 calories per steak = approx. 3.5 grams of fat and 17 grams of protein

If you believe that people with canine teeth don't need much protein, sure, enjoy all the lettuce. I'll definitely take my steak, albeit perhaps on a bed of romaine. I do believe 1.5 ounces of steak will be digested much quicker than 20+ cups of lettuce.

And it's called a pluot.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/24/2009 11:20:59 AM
Is lettuce more easily digested than steak? Of course. But we're talking 1.5 oz of steak, vs. 20 cups of romaine. That's probably at least 4 heads of romaine. I'm quite sure that I'll digest 1.5 oz steak (which is more likely a piece of stewing meat than a steak) faster than I'll digest a head of lettuce.

I don't think Furhman was advocating eating 20 cups of lettuce at once. I think the steak vs. lettuce statement was intended more as an example to show how people's mindset is developed through ignorance and misinformation.
I think Fuhrman is creating ignorance and misinformation. Three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >