Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mik1950
Msg: 2
What the heck are grits?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
OP...if you like cream of wheat cereal you will like them...i tried them on a dare one day at dennys in wisc dells...everyone was grossed out...so i ordered a second bowl...its just another hot cereal...i had them with butter, brown sugar and a splash of cream
 SAguy_06
Msg: 3
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:27:54 AM
Grits are usually served as a side dish for breakfast and dinner...like mashed potatos for dinner.

As cream of wheat is ground wheat...grits is ground hominy(corn). very much like cornmeal. Hominy is a large white kernel.

to me its bland...thats why southreners add lots of butter...
 mik1950
Msg: 8
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 6/21/2009 3:39:27 AM
grits are one of those food items that would probably have more appeal if it were called another name...ppl hear the word "grit" and the brain kicks in and starts thinking..."sand"...
they are actually quite tasty...pretty much the same as polenta...versatile too...can be eaten either sweet or savoury...the one time i did try grits per se...i had it with butter, cream...and i think syrup...
i have never seen grits in the stores here...cornmeal yes...at any given time i have a couple of cups of cornmeal on hand...cornbread...mmmm...spoonbread...2x mmmmm
 SAguy_06
Msg: 9
re/the Hominy comment
Posted: 6/21/2009 6:02:06 PM
love hominy in spicy soups like white, green and red Pozole...and spicy Menudo...

I was meaning Grits are bland and need butter...
 mik1950
Msg: 10
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 6/22/2009 11:53:48 AM
^^^...yer rite...uselles and boaring...foregive my hoardid speeling bit i am goink bliind frum reeding thees uselles triveal infermashun...

Messages this short may not be postedMessages this short may not be postedMessages this short may not be postedMessages this short may not be postedMessages this short may not be posted
 SAguy_06
Msg: 11
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 6/22/2009 6:22:17 PM
Menudo?? Isnt that a band..

It was a spicy soup before the guys took the name, and I kinda think thats why they took the name, they were supposed to be a spicy blend that comes together to be one...

Like Meatloaf...there was the dish before the singer
 mrrat2u2
Msg: 17
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 6/28/2009 11:46:48 PM
they are like eating cream of wheat alone they are boring and bland
 SAguy_06
Msg: 18
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 6/30/2009 1:22:45 PM

I'm thinking, what about making a gravy that is Grit based, to make a thicker gravy....

Have you heard of Ham and Red-Eyed Gravy...

you have with eggs, you make a dip in the grits and fill with red eye gravy...much like you would mashed potatos...

Its as country as a blue-tic hound
 SAguy_06
Msg: 20
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 7/1/2009 12:37:25 PM
Red-eye gravy

In skillet, cook country ham steak until browned. Remove from skillet.
Add 1/4 cup brewed coffee.
Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes;
stirring in ham dripping from bottom of skillet.
Spoon over grits
serve with eggs, bisquits and ham.
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 7/1/2009 10:23:05 PM
I've never been to the south, but I make a killer pot of shrimp and grits :)
 SAguy_06
Msg: 22
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 7/2/2009 12:15:20 AM
its ok to share recipes...shrimp n grits...
 arwen52
Msg: 23
view profile
History
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 7/2/2009 3:17:25 PM
I love grits! I do *not* like cream of wheat but I love grits. They are my favorite hot cereal. I just like 'em with a little salt and a lot of butter, but sometimes I add some grated mild cheddar. If you've ever had polenta, it's similar but the corn for grits is treated with lye to soften it.

Leftover grits (and polenta) solidify. You can slice it and fry it up - then I like to drizzle maple syrup on it. You can reheat it in the microwave and it will be similar to it's original consistency. Try 'em, you'll like 'em!
 4UMaybe
Msg: 24
view profile
History
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 7/4/2009 4:55:32 PM
Thanks I never knew what grits were...
 SAguy_06
Msg: 26
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 7/5/2009 5:18:23 AM

Grits are corn meal. Have you ever had polenta?

dried yellow corn ground=corn meal=polenta

yellow corn soaked in lye water=Hominy=dried and ground=hominy grits/ grits
 SAguy_06
Msg: 28
What the heck are grits?
Posted: 7/5/2009 9:20:24 AM
^^^^^^^^^^May I suggest using re-fried beans instead of grits.

I love room temp beans and bacon on my homemade buscuits.

just make a homemade Ranchero sauce...now your talking...

re fried beans

use a can of Bush's Whole pinto bean (very good quality bean)
fry bacon or Ham in a skillet, remove meat
empty can into warm skillet and increase heat to high...smash beans till creamy season with salt and garlic powder to taste

Ranchero sauce...
2 roma tomatos diced or can diced tomatos
1/2 small onion sliced/ julianned
1/2 bellpepper thinly sliced
1/2 sliced jalepeno or other raw chili (can use Red Pepper Flake)
garlic powder to taste

in a small pot add 2 tspn of oil
saute veggies except tomato
saute for about 5-7 min then add tomato s&p to taste
saute 5-7 then add 1/2 cup water and boil till veggies are tender and water is almost gone, then add an additional 1/4 of water and kinda mash the veggies ligthly

serve over eggs
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >