Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has anyone ever changed their mind or position after reading a thread?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zangie
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Has anyone ever changed their mind or position after reading a thread?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Thanks again to all...

I thought I should mention that ,in my case, the things that have influenced my thought patterns generally came about because I reacted to a post in a way I thought was disproprotionate ..( my marriage counselor called it : a ten reaction to a two situation)..which led me to wonder if there was some underlying emotion or unresolved issue that was coloring my perspective..sometimes, when I examined that thought..I discovered my modus operandi in that situation was being driven by a faulty logic or past hurt that I hadn't addressed.

My core values, morals, personality won't change, but , sometimes my behavior or outlook has, as far as how I respond to men, or the dating process. Sometimes a well thought out, or convincing presentation, may change my perception of how people who think differently than me came to their conclusions. And those don't necessarily change me, just engender understanding of where they are coming from.

I will say that posts that sound angry or hateful, I just don't "hear"..no matter if they might have a valid point of not. Since, for the most part we catch more flies with honey than vinegar, I have to believe they have no desire to be understood or taken seriously...they just want to vent, rant..lash out. I actually feel sorry for them, to be honest.

But, the most value I have gained from the forums ( outside of cool friends and intellectual discourse), is when it has made me look inside myself and question why I feel/think the way I do...and is it the right/healhty way for me to look at it? Was it holding me back, or helping me grow and get the most out of life I can.
 TopChuck
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Has anyone ever changed their mind or position after reading a thread?
Posted: 6/18/2009 9:59:50 AM

For the record...while I can't say I have totally reversed my position on most of those topics, I have modified some, and have come to understand the other side..and have actually made some behavior changes when it seemed to make sense...

Maybe we read and post in forums to measure other theories against our own paradigm, to see how ideas we accept or reject fit with our own. Our paradigm is reinforced or sometimes adjusted, but probably rarely completely rejected.

Has anyone totally erased their life paradigm, because of anything other than some traumatic occurrence that caused total permanent loss of memory?

Isn't it human propensity to answer the questions of who we are, where we came from and where we're going? Is the purpose of life to figure out the purpose of life?

Because of a thread "So is love a choice?", my SO and I were having a discussion about unconditional love. Because of the thread and my discussions with her, I became convinced that my acceptance of the concept of unconditional love, was wrong.

Along with the force of others who agreed with her concept, I gained new insight into her paradigm.

Prior to the question being asked in the thread, I hadn't realized that my views weren't consistent with her beliefs, regarding unconditional love.
 itechman63
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 7:06:48 AM
Most definitely I have had times that I've totally changed my position or softened my stance on a topic after reading a post that provoked thought and seeing things in a different or new way as I am able to view the issue from another perspective. There are times that I don't change my position but I gain a greater respect for the opposing viewpoint.

There are some brilliant posters on these forums and some fantastic people with whom you may not see eye to eye on an issue but their presentation of an opposing viewpoint is explained very well. Some of the posters I respect the most are ones with whom I disagree. I feel that they have done more to make me a more complete and understanding individual than most people I know off-forum have done.

There's such value to these forums for how it can open your mind if you are willing to loosen the padlock.
 daynadaze
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2009 12:12:41 PM
I have often learn something new or changed my thoughts on a topic after reading what others have to say. I'm open to new ideas or just to having my head pulled out of my arse, but I'm not wishy-washy either, I have my own opinions and just as often stick to them after reading many opposing views. Life is a an ever-learning lesson. One would have to have a very fixed mindset to never have changed their minds about anything after interacting with others of different views. While I do find debating fun, I don't go around looking for people to annoy just so I can be contrary.
 razors_edge55
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2017 12:00:03 PM
and here is a blast from the past ,,,only 200 threads back ,,wonder what is back on day one ???
 gtomustang
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/19/2017 3:44:33 PM
I can't remember a time I had my changed...but I have had it opened. Even people who's opinion I can't stand, have raised issues that sent me on a search for conflicting evidence. I wouldn't have bothered to look otherwise, and tended to find out new things. I also find out what the "other side" is telling itself for comfort. Living in a bubble echo chamber is how things like the last election happened, when voters from both sides were surprised by the outcome of the popular and electoral votes...b/c "no one they knew" voted for the other candidate.
 Looney_TTT
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/19/2017 7:08:43 PM
^^^^
I can't remember a time I had my changed...but I have had it opened.

I've been following some thread where some "Trumpette" guy is acting like he is teaching some of the posters?

I would say he is really opening my eyes about how radical some of the Trump followers are getting.
 gtomustang
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/20/2017 7:07:05 AM
If its who I think it is, he has to act that way b/c he's the one getting schooled :) Where I used to work, the maintenance guy used to insist he had to remain alive to teach his grandchildren, b/c his children apparently hated his trump views on life and weren't teaching the kids to his satisfaction. Yes, the trumpets are radical, its why they fear radical Muslims so much. The trumpets know just how far they will go, so they fear anyone else with the same drive. it takes one to know one.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2017 3:42:23 PM
... I doubt I've REVERSED my position on a topic once I've come to my own conclusion ... but I've certainly had moments of clarity where, listening, I finally get the "other side" point of view ... possibly only to say, "OH! so that's what you're so afraid of ... ok ... I get that!"
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has anyone ever changed their mind or position after reading a thread?