Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why is it that Corn Ethanol is the only type of Ethanol ever talked a      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 captcolt
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Why is it that Corn Ethanol is the only type of Ethanol ever talked about?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Let me help paint a picture for you... Right now all of your trash and my trash and miss jenny only drinks bottled water's trash goes to the landfill. From there it creates methane gas as it decomposes. Right now that methane is used to make electricity and the result is CO2 which is much cleaner than methane.

BUT, we can make car fuel from this Carbon source to power the automobiles that need more power than air and electric can offer.

WHY ARE WE MAKING ELECTRICITY OUT OF SUCH AN EXPENSIVE FUEL?

T. Boone Pickens painted the picture for us, we should use renewables for electricity. Then we should use natural gas for cars.

But we should also use every source of fuel that we can get, and directly converting paper products to ethanol is one of the fuel sources. Not to mention the fact the Diethyl Ether can replace diesel or atleast be blended at high percentages.

WHY DO WE ONLY HAVE ONE FUEL.. and why are you still talking negatively about ethanol even though you are giving no facts to support your opinion.. (Thats right because someone told you it was bad... and that my friend is what is wrong with america.. everyone taking peoples word without spending a little time to research)
 abelian
Msg: 12
Why is it that Corn Ethanol is the only type of Ethanol ever talked about?
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:44:33 AM
The efficiency is not purely a function of the efficiency of the chemistry. It includes things like the ease of obtaining the materials, the cost of the apparatus, etc. I would imagine that corn is the material of choice because it's available in great quantities. Corn is the number 1 cash crop in the U.S. (actually, pot is number 1, but that doesn't count here). There is lots of corn. The supply probably exceeds the demand.

NOTHING RUNS LIKE HYDROCARBONS.

Right, which is why nature uses hydrocarbons to make people run efficiently.
 captcolt
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2009 5:05:01 PM
Let me start by saying that BUTANOL is much better than ethanol and while I've researched the two I think ethanol is ready today and butanol will be ready in a few years. We need all forms of energy, but we should start with the ones that will work right now. So that axes the whole hydrogen fairytale. Batteries have a shot, but show me the money.

Why am I only a semi-expert, because I haven't made a dime from my studies. I have advised a few biofuel entrepreneurs but once the economy tanked, they didn't get to start. I have read my share of journal articles on the subject and other subjects that relate as well as lead a research group on cellulosic ethanol. Oyeah and I try not to be too**** when describing myself, unlike some people I've seen around here.

There are multiple ways to make Cellulosic ethanol which brings me back to the point about the media, why is corn ethanol the only type of ethanol in the eyes of so many people. All the money spent to find new ways of making ethanol were successful and now we come up with more excuses. Politicians mandate 10% blends which cause engine failure in cars that were not made to run on ethanol not to mention the fiberglass tanks in some boats. I think an E85 mandate in every city would be a much better use of the ethanol. But to hear all the negative about ethanol is making me sick because it could have been done much better and ethanol is taking all the crap from corn-ethanol and everyone is acting like it is the same thing.

E85 has a major weakness know as an azeotrope that causes a two phase liquid. This means if E85 is sitting in a gas can with the vent open, water will dissolve into the ethanol from the air because ethanol wants to have water in it at all times. This causes the ethanol and gas to separate like oil and water and is an issue. May I add that this is not a problem if you actually drive your car that has E85.

If we just burned pure ethanol this would never happen. I just don't understand why pure ethanol hasn't even been suggested.

I am so tired of hearing this being trucked around story... I completely understand the energy density issue, and I agree it takes more trucks to truck the same amount of ethanol as gasoline. BUT LET US FORGET GASOLINE EXISTS because soon it won't. We need that crude to make the millions of specialty chemical and plastics that we need in our life daily. That is one of the reasons why gasoline is so expensive, it can be used for much better things than taking your fat azz to the gym. Walk there and the world will be a better place.

The advantage of ethanol and other biofuels, they can be created anywhere there is trash. Or anywhere there is a railroad or a dead tree limb. The major transportation problem is with CORN ethanol because it is only produced in the midwest. Ethanol can be made locally, by a small business owner unlike Gasoline that only comes from a few places and gets shipped worldwide for our use.

I hate to say it like this but atleast the hippies have this one right, if we buy american clothes, eat locally grown food and burn the ethanol made in our own city our economy and environment would be a much better place.
 captcolt
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 9:18:19 PM

Ethanol can only ever be a minor source of our fuel needs, because to order to produce the amount of ethanol needed to fuel the world's motor vehicles we would have to stop eating. I hate how the heavily subsided ethanol industry is driving up the price of food which is hurting people in the poorer countries and driving many of them to starvation.

I think we could run our vehicles on entirely on non-corn ethanol and still have plenty of food. We have the saudi arabia of Biomass in the S.E. U.S. . However, I also think that trying to do that would be majorly stupid. The only thing that drove up the cost of food is high oil prices and low value of the dollar. I feel sorry for animal farmers because they are hurt the worst with high corn prices, but I don't mind paying a few extra cents for my beef, but a smart farmer would be using distillers grains for food. Its all part of the cycle.

I think GM fuel crops are a great idea, but GM food crops should not be allowed patents. Monsanto is ruining our agricultural base in the U.S. They are single handedly putting farmers out of business, and costing the government millions in subsidies. Farmers should not have to pay for seed, they grow it. It is arguable that GM crops in the U.S. are keeping these poorer countries poor, because our productivity here is so high that the price is too low. This is much more of a problem to them then high corn prices. If you want to know more go to HULU.com and watch "the future of food".
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why is it that Corn Ethanol is the only type of Ethanol ever talked about?