Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Is Smelling Bad a Bad Sign?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 26
Is Smelling Bad a Bad Sign?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

yes... lets just give him lots of excuses to use to get away from the fact that he admits to having but one shower a day... after exercising!

Why would someone need to shower more than that?
 jaqi
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Is Smelling Bad a Bad Sign?
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:32:57 AM

Messages this short may not be posted
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:58:06 AM

Messages this short may not be posted

I take it from your lack of an intelligent response that you have no idea.

FYI: Germaphobes are obsessed with sanitation and feel compelled to clean excessively, but they're really suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder.
 TheDao
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/4/2009 7:19:37 PM
I knew some people didn't shower daily, sometimes every other day to every 3 days. I personally shower usually twice a day especially in the summer.

What you eat and drink has a lot to do with it. Onions and garlic can make you stink so bad. Also coffee can make you stink. I had bad foot odor but once the caffeine was gone the smell was gone. Also soy make you stink a lot if you eat too much of it. To make the smell go away eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and less junk food and meat.
 techgirl27
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 10:17:55 PM
Are you on a very low carb diet? Do you drink enough water?
Do you smoke?
 jaqi
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 8:00:15 AM

I take it from your lack of an intelligent response that you have no idea

sorry was I meant to add that you're so funny?
 granz
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/9/2009 6:07:26 PM
I imagine a lot of it has to do with your diet. If you consume a lot of garlic, for instance, then it will obviously return to haunt you when you start sweating. This can be said for other foods, or combinations of foods. Some supplements can cause similar problems. Try an "elimination" diet until you've ruled that possibility out, or simply consider being more liberal with the deordorant.

Surprisingly, I can get by without showering for days before the funk actually becomes noticeable. Uh, not that I abstain from showering frequently, or anything...
 Micheroo
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/11/2009 2:57:18 PM

yes... lets just give him lots of excuses to use to get away from the fact that he admits to having but one shower a day... after exercising!

I don't get what the big deal is with that either?

3-4 showers a day seems excessive... not to mention a total waste of water.
 jsphn11
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/11/2009 5:26:28 PM
Yep, and it's not good for your skin either...Even lotions won't help.

One shower a day if you don't sweat during the day should be sufficient.
 TheDao
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/11/2009 5:39:26 PM
I shower few times a day doesn't hurt my skin at all since I'm using cold water not hot water.
 roseyn
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/11/2009 9:40:07 PM
It's not a good sign. But there's a good chance you can fix whatever is causing that. You just have to research, and go to the doctor if you can't figure it out.
 MissaInVA
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/12/2009 4:36:49 AM
I'm not a germophobe. I'm a smellophobe. I don't have any skin problems - apart from having extremely sensitive skin, and I've always had that. So sensitive that I can't wear most kinds of deoderants. Suave is the ONLY one I've found that won't break my under arms out in horrible sores. The problem is Suave doesn't work particularly well - and I sweat like a horse - hence all the showering.
 NJRiser!
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/12/2009 7:30:47 AM
There are 2 things you can do. Shower early in the morning and bathe at night. In addition to a very quick shower after a workout. Make sure all of your clothes are clean and use baking soda based powders on your sweat clothes when you work out.

Also, try use gycerine soap, it is more expensive but it is pure soap that cuts bacteria and dirt. It is also much more gentle on your skin. So, it will not irritate you, castile soap is also very good for your body.

There is also products sold online called smell be gone. It comes in a pill and suppose to be able to clear up odor and bacteria from within.
I know for sure that fish oil supplements come out in your pores. That could be a factor in the bad smell.
 NJRiser!
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/13/2009 10:40:18 AM
I apologize, I met to say body mint tablets and body odor blocker pills! Also, try drinking a lot of water that helps to dillute your sweat and body fluids. When it travels through your body.

When I say water I mean water! Not soft drinks, juice or soda. Water is probably the best thing you can do for perspiration. What smells worst 40 gallons of water with 10 gallons of sewage or 40 gallons of sewage with 1o gallons of water. You get it! The more you drink the more it helps to dillute your smelly sweat.

Although, jamestooth makes some valid points, the type of soap you use will also be helpful, when it comes to showering at least twice a day. That is why I reccomend glycerine soap, it is not a special soap it is a very strong soap that is expensive and has been around for a long time. Most soaps like Ivory, levers, irish spring will put a small amount of glycerine in their formula, because it is expensive. Sometime it is like $2.oo for a 4oz bar. However, they go on sale for like $1.00.

This is the best soap anyone can use next to castile soap. Castille soap is good for your skin and you can even use it in cold water like camping trips and stuff, but when you first use it. It will be quite the pore opener...LOL. It will take a little time to get use to it. Castille actually dissolves dirt and stays on your skin like a deodorizer.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/13/2009 10:53:29 AM
I'm not a germophobe. I'm a smellophobe. I don't have any skin problems - apart from having extremely sensitive skin, and I've always had that. So sensitive that I can't wear most kinds of deoderants....

If you have sensitive skin, then showering too much will do more damage to it.
http://www.health24.com/news/Bacterial_diseases/1-894,35215.asp

...Suave is the ONLY one I've found that won't break my under arms out in horrible sores. The problem is Suave doesn't work particularly well - and I sweat like a horse - hence all the showering.

Deodorants do not stop you from sweating, they only work to mask the smell of the bacteria that feeds off the sweat.

Deodorants are usually alcohol-based and for some people that actually makes them sweat more, but the alcohol is there to kill the bacteria.

Only antiperspirants block you from sweating.
 Chubbybessie
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2009 3:08:48 PM
Having weird smell is more complex problem than taking it only hygienic level and fully blaming a poor gay who takes only ONE shower a day??? A guy who came out his touchy question hopefully he could get help from us.
I had a hippy kind of friends long time ago who was well known seldom taking shower. I have to tell you I never sensed bad smell on him.
Different body types gives different odors, and certain diet has strange smell. For ex.. I don't like to eat soy and garlic together, because I smell like dirt.
Then years ago suddenly developed weird smell on me. I had taken showers every half hour. I went to my doctor who said: 10 showers a day, SO WHAT! If it helps you cope with it, take more showers. I didn't like his answer and I searched for more solutions.
Than I found a good Naturopathic Physician who was diagnosed me with Candida. During my lifetime, I get at least two more smelly periods I always had good reason for it. I got strong body smell after every nutritional cleansing. When my oestrogen level was changed, I had a very heavy smell period. I learned to cope with it, since than I have been taking algee as often as I could, and I have to tell you I'm odorless. . Taking green leafy vegetable it wasn't enough for me.
My recomandation go to your doctor, if you get only general answer from him , don't stop, search for more solutions. Don't forget, nobody knows better your body than you.
Meanwhile I searched on the internet: I found lot of reasons of the body smell, the higienic part is very small just read it: http://www.iloveindia.com/home-remedies/symptoms-body-odor.html

" He asked our help to cope with unpleasent bodysmell.. Body odor refers to the unpleasant smell that is emitted by the body. The smell results from the presence of bacteria on the body. These bacteria rapidly double, when they come in contact with the sweat. The most common body parts that are associated with body odor include hair, feet, groin, skin, armpits, genitals, pubic hair, belly button and ears. Though sweating is seen as the most common reason for body odor, there are other reasons as well, due to which your body may emit a foul smell. In the following lines, we have provided the various causes and symptoms of body odor.

Causes Of Body Odor
Sweating
Bacteria present in the sweat
Strong medicines
Alcohol
Smoking
Prolonged illness
Diseases, like kidney problems, liver problems etc
Stress
Skin problems
Gastrointestinal problems
Weak metabolism
Fungal infection
Bacterial growth
Deficiency of zinc mineral, cavities, toxins, etc
Poor hygiene
Heredity factots
Certain foods and beverages, like hot beverages, spicy foods, etc
Menopause
Low levels of male hormones
Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia
Fever
Overactive thyroid or hyperthyroidism
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/13/2009 6:33:15 PM

...Having weird smell is more complex problem than taking it only hygienic level and fully blaming a poor gay who takes only ONE shower a day??? A guy who came out his touchy question hopefully he could get help from us...

Sweat that is excreted from the apocrine gland (armpits and the anal-genital area) is what is responsisble but the sweat from apocrine glands contain proteins and fatty acids, which make it thicker and give it a milkier or yellowish color but is completely odorless.

When bacteria on the skin and hair metabolize the proteins and fatty acids, they produce an unpleasant odor.

What and how you eat along with your genetics will determine the composition of the sweat and therefor determine how much you will smell.

Also how someones smells is subjective, as everyone interprets other peoples smells in different ways.

It is like taste, some like the taste of mint others do not, and some are more sensitive to it.

Deodorants mask our scents and if you believe the studies which show that members of the opposite sex prefer the smell of mates with MHC genes were the least similar to her own ensuring the best chance for the offspring's survival.*

Also the use of birth control pills can mask the scent of a female.

Other studies have shown that married couples that have MHC genes where less likely to be unfaithful.

Oh yeah, the OP's stink was from wearing the same shirt too many times, even with regular washing, regular cotton t-shirts will get the funk and no amount of washing will fix it.

If you are going to the gym on the regular basis it only makes sense to invest in proper gym attire. Antimicrobial clothing is the best way to go. If you go everyday, get two pairs of shoes and if you wear gloves get two pair as well. Rotating them will one make them not only last longer but also give them more time to dry out and also give you a chance to wash them every now and then. If your hands sweat allot, I have found that sailing gloves work the best, as they are designed to work in wet environments and you can toss them in the wash and hand to dry and they will not fall apart.

*http://www.macalester.edu/psychology/whathap/ubnrp/smell/attraction.html

*http://health.howstuffworks.com/sweat.htm
 KC-Friends
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/13/2009 8:14:13 PM
"I've heard many times about people who are "eaten up"(As Southerners say) with cancer have a very bad smell."

LOL!!!!! WTF?? are you serious? I have read some really dumb crap on these forums but this has to be top 5.
 KC-Friends
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/13/2009 8:17:37 PM
"And some supplements like B vitamins can change a persons body odor. Which is why eating plenty of fruits and vegetables is important as they work like charcoal to remove bad smells."

Thank God this isn't life or death advice, most of this is pure crapulance.
 Wiyan
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/16/2009 8:55:16 AM
Do you eat lots of garlic, or drink a lot? Those things will make you smell, esp beer. Other than that, it's possible you could have candida overgrowth (fungal) in your digestive system, or some other digestive imbalance?. It's a pretty serious diet to get rid of Candida, but, if you don't, it can cause way worse things. The smell may be your body's way of warning you to something more serious going on, and worth checking out.
 ritzylady
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 1:32:37 AM
I think everyone have covered most hints. I used to have a boyfriend years ago that used to have a shower without soap until I caught him. Told him to use the soap don't talk to it.

Other pointers, ease up on all the body build supps, drink loads of water until your pee is a lemon colour.

Last one is to get some Silica tissue salts from the health food store that will help too,

good luck!

P.S. We all get smelly every now and then, your lucky your friend had the gutts to tell you so you can sort it out.
 ritzylady
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2009 1:33:44 AM
Live in the Tropics and smell your arm pits then, you need 3 showers or more here. D
 yankeest34
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/18/2009 9:22:21 PM
How about changing your underwear everyday and wear some type of frangrance.Taking a shower and not changing your underwear dont help not If, you workout in the same underwear then put them back on after a clean shower."yuk"talk about mildew underwear.
 guitarguy10
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/19/2009 4:54:02 AM
You need to drink More water.
 smartypants24
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/7/2009 8:43:49 PM
If you're exercising to lose body fat, the smell could be coming from your body breaking down old stores of fat...depending on what your diet was like when those fat cells were created, that could be the source of the smell...I know when I first started losing weight, my natural smell changed for awhile
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Is Smelling Bad a Bad Sign?