Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Did he really forget his wallet??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rogerio134
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Did he really forget his wallet??Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
megdawn i agree with that ! give the guy a chance, i honestly cant believe that EVERYONE thinks the bloke wanted to get a couple of free beers. Come on the guy probobally payed more in petrol to get there in his car than he would have done on the beers. And maybe SHOCK HORROR the guy just didnt like you enough to go on a second date ??

How much is a beer in america ? like 4 dollars maybe or something? its nothing is it. I cant believe someone would come on a forum to post about the loss of a few dollars. bit ridiculos in my own view!
 justbunky
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Did he really forget his wallet??
Posted: 6/24/2009 4:51:30 PM
Call him right before the next date (if you have one) and remind him to bring his wallet. Oh, and to ask his mom what his curfew is, since he is clearly still a child.
 cinsav
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:16:39 PM
Ok, this is an issue that I have personal experience with. It may not be a trend BUT it does happen.

I actually DID forget my wallet on a first meeting not to long ago and it WAS an honest mistake, so it does happen. I've posted this story elsewhere in the forums as well under a similar topic.

It was our first meeting and I had a busy day. I got home from work and placed my wallet on my counter (not something I usually do) and the rest of my items (keys, watch, etc) in their typical location. Got ready for the meeting and realized I was about to be late, so I rushed out the door. I am usually OCD about "tapping" my pocket to ensure I have my wallet with me, but whatever reason in this particular case I didn't. When I got to the Sushi bar I did the ole tap and realized I had left it at home! It was NOT a good feeling. She was already there waiting for me. BUT - different from what the guy the OP is talking about did - I actually confessed right up front before even sitting down, told her to go ahead and order a drink and whatever else she wanted and that I'd be right (thankfully I lived no more than 8 or 9 minutes away). I sped home got my wallet and sped back.

It does happen and it's not always a plot by *him* to take advantage of you. I don't know what I would have done if the place was across town.

Honest mistakes can and do happen.

And, yes she is willing to see me again. This time I will triple check my pocket
 abby156
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:10:52 PM
If this scenario happened to me, I would pay the bill and tip the server . I would then block him from contacting me further.
 edencapwell
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:44:22 PM
you should have told him you didn't have your wallet either. would have been interesting to watch him squirm. or you could have said you only had enough money to cover your drink or dinner. i wonder what he would have said??
 edencapwell
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:51:24 PM
Wow, so you paid for couple of beers and a bottle of water A YEAR AGO, and you still couldn't get over it and had to come here and post about it A YEAR LATER !

how do you know it was over a year ago??? i don't recall the OP posting any info about that. and he was cheap too!!! what kind of stupid idiot forgets to bring his wallet?? duh!!! that is one of the lamest excuses i have ever heard.
 abby156
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:56:05 PM
I dont think that was discussed^^. He disappeared after the event. I would pay the tab and thank god I did not get taken in further.
 *topchef*
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/24/2009 8:12:37 PM

When I got to the Sushi bar I did the ole tap and realized I had left it at home! It was NOT a good feeling. She was already there waiting for me. BUT - different from what the guy the OP is talking about did - I actually confessed right up front before even sitting down, told her to go ahead and order a drink and whatever else she wanted and that I'd be right (thankfully I lived no more than 8 or 9 minutes away). I sped home got my wallet and sped back.

If I encountered that situation, I would have asked you to sit down, relax and enjoy our time together, no problem to spring for the tab. That is a genuine error and completely forgiveable, and supportable. I wouldnt have hesitated to pay for whatever we were having in that circumstance. Most people know when they were being conned. And I think the OP felt she was conned or dismissed without conscience, hence the post.

But a few drinks and some appetizers wouldnt have phased me....the lesson on what that individual was all about, was likely worth the price alone.

I think it is more than reasonable to establish these things in advance if finances are an issue. I always come prepared, always offer to pay or share, and have done so on many occassions, and in just as many, the gentleman refuses to allow it. You never know how anyone is going to feel about these things.
 Tokolosh1
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/25/2009 5:43:29 AM

I can not help but notice that most people's first reaction to any thread is to immediately have a negative response to the OP, no matter what the subject.

Maybe it is not a coincidence that the majority of us are single seeing as optimism isn't a star quality around here.

Megdawn, the majority of us are savvy enough to know when we're being taken for a ride. The issue has nothing to do with lack of optimism.
 BigDaddyJinx
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 9:49:37 AM

First meet, drinks and apps, check comes, I say we'll split it (he had the 2 beers, I had water), he starts patting his pockets and I say, "Uh, forget your wallet." I, being the optimist, believe him when he says that it's in his 'other pants' and try to make him feel better about it. "Oh, that's ok, I say" and take the bill from him.

He walks me to the car, says he will take me to the movies to make up (to see a movie I've already seen, but said I would see with him because he can't find anyone else to go with him) and that's the last I hear from him. Never even looked at the bill. No note to say he was sorry, will send me a check. Nada. Seems just a tad sleasy. Did he plan to 'forget his wallet' all along or just when he decided he didn't want to see me again?

Shoe...meet other foot.

Is this a trend?

Dunno...ask women. Men have been footin' the bills for how many years now, and ending up in your situation? Stings don't it?

If men turned this into a trend, I'd have no choice but to laugh at the delicious comedy that would follow. The karma comeback alone is worth the price of admission.

Phan59
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/25/2009 10:01:11 AM
Sounds like a super creep. Thats the last you ever heard from him? GREAT! Who cares about his 'reasons'. Consider yourself lucky to be rid of him and keep fishing.
 mrwutzizname
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 10:31:07 AM
I find it hard to believe any man could forget his wallet. I've hear this before though. I live in NJ and there are some pretty hefty fines for not being able to produce your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. I did forget my wallet one time but I was just running out to the liquor store. If I were meeting someone for a date I can't imagine I would ever forget my wallet.
 techgirl27
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 10:42:38 AM
same thing as my "credit card" thread. What they basically said on there is when you split checks, don't pick up his.
 *topchef*
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/25/2009 5:14:35 PM
BDJ - I know this is a "hot" topic for you, and your experience is the underlying reason why, to be sure. Let me just say, that if we were in the same town, I would definitely ask you to get together, so we could "dish" about various subjects over a few c0cktails and a bite to eat. And I wouldnt hesitate for a minute to pick up the tab, big or small. I feel that way about most of the men who's company I have had the pleasure of sharing.

Like the guys, I think women who are willing to share the expenses dont like to be conned by someone. If it was an honest mistake on his part, the very least he could have done was call to thank her for bailing him out of the situation, even if he didnt intend to see her again. I wouldnt expect anything less from a woman in the same situation.
 Lamune
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/25/2009 7:37:51 PM

Call him right before the next date (if you have one) and remind him to bring his wallet. Oh, and to ask his mom what his curfew is, since he is clearly still a child.

If there was a second date, instead of immediately going into the she**** routine, wouldn't that be the opportunity to see if he makes good on his word to repay the favor? Y'know... before insulting him?

It's so cute. And we wonder why we are single?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 7:41:00 PM

I love it when women expect the guy to pay the entire tab but when a woman has to, they don't want to pay for his.

Most women, myself included that won't pick up the tab for a guy during a meet, are typically fair about this and also don't expect him to pick up the tab for her either. It's up to the individuals beyond that to offer to do so if they choose.

The bottom line here is the expectation. I am sure most who don't have their wallet usually say something before the food or drinks get ordered, or discover it way before the check comes.
 SteveA1970
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:07:27 PM
Anybody besides me notice the OP is 62? So I'm thinking her date was probably mid 60's himself? Guy 25-45 "forgets" his wallet, slam. Guy 65 does it? Different story.
 BSome1Gr8
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:20:21 PM
Wow, sounds like it might have been planned. How do you walk out of a place and do that to another person? This guy goes in the jerk pile.

He should have at least sent you an email or text to apologize... something.

Dating is so all over the board now!!! It's like riding a roller coaster!

Hang in there!

His rating -
 pirateheaven
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:49:31 PM
Maybe he had a CRS moment. You bought a guy two beers on a bad date. Welcome to the fraternity of men.
 BigDaddyJinx
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 11:25:37 PM

BDJ - I know this is a "hot" topic for you, and your experience is the underlying reason why, to be sure. Let me just say, that if we were in the same town, I would definitely ask you to get together, so we could "dish" about various subjects over a few c0cktails and a bite to eat. And I wouldnt hesitate for a minute to pick up the tab, big or small. I feel that way about most of the men who's company I have had the pleasure of sharing.

GG - LMAO. Well that'd be one interesting night to say the least, I'm quite sure.

Don't mind me though, when I take a moment or three to delight in the fact that a chick got burned by the dine and dash as so many men have before her number came up. Christ, women have been pullin' that kinda crap forever already...'bout time we saw a "skirt" get some well deserved "shoe meets other foot".

Hopefully, this is just the first of many more stories like this. It's gettin' lame seeing just women doing it. Knowing at least one man did it made me smile a mile wide.

PS -- if I'm ever out your way I'll cash in that marker...
 IdRtherBeHiking
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/25/2009 11:52:30 PM
Okay, if a man asks you out, then why would you split it? Taking you out is taking YOU out. Flip side, if I asked a guy out, I would pick up the tab, cause I asked HIM out.

Don't short change yourself. You are a wonderful woman, and the right guy will have no problems picking up the tab when he takes you out on a date. And when he does, say thank you. Let him know how much you appreciate him, and his time.
 techgirl27
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 12:36:19 AM
Or my question, was his credit card "really" declined? Something in me highly doubts it. Any man worth being a man comes prepared to face the world. Losers make excuses.
 thwipp89
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 3:25:29 AM
man, this is an awesome scam. i'll have to remember to "forget" my wallet next time! =P ingenious!
 Downtowngirl4u
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/30/2011 5:34:39 PM
I also had a guy forget his wallet. We met for the date at coffee shop then go to bar was the plan. He was 20 min late; He sat down for a minute, we made some small talk, how r u, i asked how long it took to drive here, he said an hour. So I said lets just go to the bar now as I was drinking my water and was bored. I paid for my water he said I just have to go get my wallet then we will walk to the bar as it was 2 min walk. He never came back. Why would he do this?
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/30/2011 10:02:13 PM
Well i were one of those guys that did forget the wallet once. We went to a coffee shop and standing in line i couldnt find my wallet. Asked the girl to give me a min so i can go and look in the car. Well it wasnt there but i were lucky enough to find some money in the car to pay for two cups of hot chocolate. Not all of us play games,,, S**t happens.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Did he really forget his wallet??