Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do african americans vote Democrat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Why do african americans vote Democrat?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Actually any answers are welcome from anyone. It was not directed strictly at african americans, although they may be able to provide the best answers to a question like this.

Yes, I know you feel free to speak for other races, genders, or groups of any kind, and don't hesitate to tell them how they ought to be thinking. Just as I trust a woman to decide what to do with her own body, I also trust other groups of people that I'm not a part of to make their own decisions.

If a large percentage of any group of people don't support your point of view, perhaps it's not the group, but your point of view that needs to be addressed. That is, if you really want to recruit those folks.

I know many former republicans who no longer vote republican. The explanation I hear most often is "I didn't leave the republican party. It left me." I'm an independent, but I rarely vote republican. First Reagan, then Cheney/Rove/Bush led the party in what I deem to be such narrow, irresponsible, and dangerous directions that I just cannot support. The few times I've voted for a republican on the local or congressional level, it's been for someone who shows willingness to cross party lines on issues of importance and represent the interests of my district, not just the party line platform.

Republicans once were the party of fiscal restraint, military restraint, social restraint, and could connect conservation with conservative thinking. Now they try to ram their social mores down everyone's throat, shoot first and ask questions later, practice reverse Robin Hood economics (rob from the poor to give to the rich), cut valuable social programs while drastically expanding the gap between haves and have nots, and openly mock any effort to be good stewards of the only planet we have to call home.

It might be worth asking instead why would anyone who isn't completely self centered and already rich want to be a part of today's republican party?

Assuming that anyone in America has to save so much money every week or month of their life.

Why would you trust SS with our government, which has basically bankrupted it?

I don't trust SS to be my sole source of support when the time comes, but I do trust it to be there for me, unless perhaps I find myself in such great financial shape by then that I don't need it. I would have no problem tweaking the program so those already in strong financial position don't draw from the account. I do trust that our government will eventually recognize that a civilized country doesn't leave vast numbers of its citizens to fend for themselves, whether for basic health care for all or some level of secure income for the elderly and disabled.

Politically, as the number of voters eligible for SS benefits continues to increase, so will be the pressure on those we elect to assure the security of the program. Barring total collapse of the country, it'll be there for me, so long as I'm in need. Meanwhile I'm free to supplement it with other sources of income based on other retirement programs, savings, investments, and whatever work I might choose to keep doing. I see no need to make SS benefits less secure for me or anyone else in need.

Dave
 stronghorizon
Msg: 7
Why do african americans vote Democrat?
Posted: 6/24/2009 11:55:47 AM

the dixiecrats may not have changed party affiliation en masse, but they sure changed their voting patterns

Then why would they join the party that overwhelmingly voted for the civil rights act of 64? 80 percent of Republicans voted for it. Only 65 percent of Dems voted for it.

If Southern Democrats did not like the civil rights act, then why not stay in their own party, which seemed to have more of an opposition to it?

the issue of ss privatization hits blacks differently because blacks have a much shorter life span. i've read ss statistics in the past. the black males only had a life expectantly of 66 years at the turn of the century. not much return for their money

So you would think that Black males would support privatization of SS, or abolition of it.

blacks vote against vouchers because they know that they can't afford private school even with the vouchers. they know that the vouchers will dilute the amount of money the schools get. the purpose of vouchers is to susidize private religious schools, not to get poor blacks a better school.

Do you understand vouchers at all?

In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania the privately funded Extra Mile Education Foundation has had very positive results with using private donations to pay the tuition for low income African-American children to attend private Catholic schools. No tax money is used for the vouchers. Most of the students who are enrolled in the program are non-Catholic. 70% of the students come from families whose income is low enough to qualify for free or reduced priced lunches. Of the students who graduate from the program (i.e., from 8th grade), not a single student has ever failed 9th grade, and 96% of the students graduate from high school within 4 years
 stronghorizon
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/24/2009 12:09:48 PM

If that is an exaggeration, it is not much of one. When Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act, he made a prediction: In committing the unpardonable sin of guaranteeing the ballot to all citizens regardless of race, he said, he would cause his party to lose the South ``for a generation.

More Republicans supported that act then Democrats, north and south.

And indeed Southern Democrats, who for a century had bombed schools, lynched innocents, perverted justice and terrorized millions in the name of intolerance, responded by leaving their ancestral party in droves. They formed the base of a new GOP

Please list all the Southern Democrats who defected to the Republican party after the civil rights act. This is an absolute fallacy. Only two people switched parties from Democrat to Republican, out of all the governors, congress and senate.

Do you even know what you are talking about?

a reality acknowledged by Ronald Reagan when he opened his 1980 campaign at a segregationist fair in a town where three civil-rights workers were infamously martyred, by declaring, 'I believe in states' rights

So nevermind the entire history of the Republican party. Because Reagan believed in states rights, that means all african americans should vote Democrat?

Do you know why President Lincoln started the civil war?
 SAguy_06
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/24/2009 12:17:16 PM

If Southern Democrats did not like the civil rights act, then why not stay in their own party, which seemed to have more of an opposition to it?

you think of political party as some long living being...a party changes through attrition. Attitudes changed in the Democaratic party, because the people that in the late 1800's and 1900's died off; new blood came into the party and new ideas with the new (younger) voters. By the time Kennedy came to office, the last of the Dixiecrats were a minority in the party, but because of Tradition, they were not going to jump ship and go over to the More hated Northren parties...
 stronghorizon
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/24/2009 12:55:49 PM

you think of political party as some long living being...a party changes through attrition. Attitudes changed in the Democaratic party, because the people that in the late 1800's and 1900's died off; new blood came into the party and new ideas with the new (younger) voters. By the time Kennedy came to office, the last of the Dixiecrats were a minority in the party, but because of Tradition, they were not going to jump ship and go over to the More hated Northren parties

Hello? Anybody home?

I was talking about 1964 in particular. Kennedy was dead, and only 65% of Dems supported the civil rights act, while 80% of Republicans supported it.

If the Republicans were the racist side, then why did the Southern Democrats supposedly leave their party, which was obviously the party that was more opposed to the civil rights act? (only two Dems switched party affiliation, so if you talk to most liberals today they swear most Dixiecrats switched to Republican after 64...that's a fallacy)
 geeleebee
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:30:40 PM
From what I've read, the move to the Democratic Party began with Franklin Roosevelt and the New Deal.
Roosevelt and his wife often invited African Americans to the White House, and Roosevelt appointed more African Americans to posts in his administration(s) than the other presidents combined. Essentially, African American voters were not voting for the party, but for the man--FDR.

Fascinating topic.
 stronghorizon
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:36:04 PM

Amazing the OP has named many pieces of legislation that Republicans have initiated that have immensely helped all minorities. Yet I know of no legislation ever initiated by any democrat for the good of minorities. Some of us are smart enough to follow the actions of an elected official, than the good intentions of their detractors

You have posted some excellent points. I was really hoping for more african americans to respond to this thread.

Essentially, I cannot imagine how any one race of people can vote for one political side by a margin of 9 to 1 like this. Some numbers show that in 2008 more then 95% voted Democrat, possibly even 98% in some states. Obviously because of Obama, the numbers were a little higher, but looking at the history, 90% of african americans have voted Dem for a long time now.

All things considered, I am a man who honestly believes that african americans are better represented by small government. I hold that belief very true to my heart. I believe that lower taxes, less government spending and less regulations would lead to real progress in the african american community.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:52:52 PM

There was a shift in ideologies once the Civil Rights act was signed by a Democrat.

You really should read up on the history of how the Civil Rights Bill got to LBJ's desk in order to be signed. Who was filibustering against it...who organized the rest of the members of both parties to get the vote for cloture. Pretty interesting stuff. Also, the reason there was even a need to write a new bill, was due to the democrats filibustering the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Acts until the proponents agreed to 'change' (water down) them.

You can argue all you want about Dr. King's political party, but I know he would have jumped ship soon enough.

You DO?! REALLY?! Can you enlighten us to your time machine ESP abilities?

JFK was elected in '60. He didn't touch the civil rights issues for over two years after being elected. Why? Because he needed and wanted the support of those southern democrats on other issues, e.g. tax cuts, that Cuba/Russia thingy, the upcoming '64 election etc. He had barely eked out a victory over Nixon in '60 and needed those southern States for any prayer of getting re-elected. He knew by bringing up civil rights, they wouldn't support him.

From: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=history+of+the+civil+rights+act+of+1964&page=1&qsrc=178&ab=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffaculty1.coloradocollege.edu%2F%7Ebloevy%2FCivilRightsActOf1964%2F

Shortly after President Kennedy's recommended civil rights bill was released to the press and public, the leaders of more than seventy civil rights organizations, operating under the name of the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, met to discuss the Kennedy proposal. They were dismayed. "The consensus was clear; President Kennedy had yielded on civil rights legislation before the fighting had even begun. The proposed bill was hardly worth the fight. Such comfort as there was came from the hope that (if Kennedy were re-elected in 1964) the second Kennedy administration would be different."

Well, we all know Kennedy didn't get the chance to run for a second term, however, there was still going to be an election. LBJ, being a southern democrat himself, knew he needed the support of the northern and western liberal democrats to have any hope to win in '64. Soooo, guess what issue he fervently took up? Yup.

Kind of ironic really...that the reason JFK put off broaching the topic turned out to be the exact reason LBJ did take it on...to get elected in 1964.

~ds~
 Promiseskeeper
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:34:41 PM
Because they are STUPID !!! They are not SMART enough to know that it is DEMOCRAT policies that is KEEPING them ENSLAVED to a government system. They idea of being responsible for one's on action is a terrifying concept. The South had nothing on slavery like Democrats do.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 8:04:16 PM

This is just my opinion, but I believe many of the 10% of blacks that are in the Republican party are strong Christians.

I simply don't know how anyone that claims to be a Christian can support abortion.

So maybe the 10% of blacks are the only ones who are genuine about living their faith?

Ah, yes. Single issue voters. I don't think any group of people is immune to the phenomenon. It's so much easier to pick one issue, whether it be abortion, gun laws, gay marriage or something else, and forget all about foreign policy, economic strategies, social programs, education, environment, and all the other issues that our elected leaders actually spend the bulk of their time addressing when casting a vote.

Here in WV we've got plenty of such single minded folk, with gun policy probably at the top of the pile. Whoever the NRA tells us to vote for too many of us fall in lockstep behind.

I've posted elsewhere the long list of churches that support a woman's right to choose, but there is no doubt a longer list who endorse pro life positions. There are many flavors of Christianity. Unfortunately the more hard nosed ones are prone to assertions like the above that no "true" Christian could differ from their own interpretation.

Sad, that.

Dave
 stronghorizon
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/25/2009 1:15:45 AM

Why do you feel this way? I happen to think that after eight years of "small government and less regulations" that it has not benefited the majority of Americans..no matter what race they happen to be

This is the epitome of every uneducated left winger in America. George W. Bush did everything but practice small government, less regulation conservatism. He expanded the size of government, threw billons of tax dollars to foreign nations for aid, he increased spending, and over regulated both the healthcare and education systems through the federal government.

If you do not know this, then you should not be voting, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
 Ezzee
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:27:26 AM

Because they are STUPID !!! They are not SMART enough to know that it is DEMOCRAT policies that is KEEPING them ENSLAVED to a government system. They idea of being responsible for one's on action is a terrifying concept. The South had nothing on slavery like Democrats do.

[The racism and ignorance of your post knows no boundaries.

Although I disagree with the way the statement is phrased, there may be some truth to it. While I was in college, I took a course entitled Race and Politics, taught by a Black Man from Louisiana who is a liberal Democrat, and one of the discussion we had during the class basically entailed the exact same thing, with my professor basically arguing the same point, just not in so many words.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/27/2009 6:10:10 AM
wait a minute...I thought Hoover and the FBI believed and tried to prove...MLKing was a Communist?

Some people claim that Martin Luther King Jr. was not a Communist, even though he did everything possible to promote the Communist's agenda. That's like saying that Hitler was not a murderer because he didn't actually do the killing. Martin Luther King Jr. was a Communist! Martin Luther King was affiliated with 60 Communist Fronts.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/mlk_jr-exposed.htm

................................................................................................................

If MLK was a republican, why didnt he meet with the republican party officails and tell them that he was going to sway all his black republican supporters to the Democaratic party if they didnt support Civil Rights Laws?

Why didnt the Republican party Leaders, seeing how much influence King had, Make Civil Rights Legislation a plank in their Presidental Platform?

stronghorizon
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/27/2009 8:33:51 AM

Strange though because Larry Elder, a black man (the man being quoted and referenced throughout this thread), agrees with adventurelion's point of view

A lot of the stuff I quoted came from Elder himself. I just did a little more research and produced the actual numbers.
 arwen52
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2010 12:58:21 PM
The Republican Party of 1860 was not the same as the Republican Party of we have today. If slavery were an issue today, no doubt Republicans would be lobbying for "state's rights," "property rights," (remember, slaves were property), and keeping the federal government out of their lives. In fact, these were many of the same arguments made against the federal government interfering in segregation laws.

Did you watch the Democratic and Republican national conventions? When the camera panned out on the crowd at the DNC, the crowd was white, black, brown, yellow. People appeared to be of varying ethnicities and social strata. When the camera panned out on the crowd at the Republican convention, the crowd was almost entirely white and very affluent looking.

Republicans have aligned themselves with the wealthy and with conservative evangelical white Christians. They have opposed civil rights legislation. They come down on the wrong side on almost every issue that affects black Americans.

If you want to know why black Americans predominantly support the Democratic party, I suggest you *listen* to some actively Democratic black Americans. Visit a Democratic organization in a predominantly black ward. Ask them. *Listen.* Don't argue. Learn why they vote the way that they do. I'm sure they would be happy to tell you.

If you really want to understand someone, you have to listen, not argue with them.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/19/2010 12:59:04 PM

From the end of the Civil War, African Americans almost unanimously favored the Republican Party due to its overwhelming political and more tangible efforts in achieving abolition, particularly through President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation. The south had long been a Democratic stronghold, favoring a state's right to legal slavery. In addition, the ranks of the fledgling Ku Klux Klan were composed almost entirely of white Democrats angry over poor treatment by northerners, both perceived and actual. However, as years passed and memories waned, African Americans began drifting to the Democratic Party, as Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal programs gave economic relief to all minorities, including African Americans and Hispanics. Support for the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s by Democratic presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson and a hard-fought Republican congressional movement, helped give the Democrats even larger support among the African American community, which consistently vote between 85-95% Democratic. In addition, recent Caribbean and African immigrants have voted solidly Democratic. Prominent modern-day African-American Democratic politicians include Jim Clyburn, Ed Towns, Maxine Waters, John Lewis, Deval Patrick, Charles Rangel, John Conyers, and the current President of the United States, Barack Obama, who managed to net over 95% of the African American vote in the 2008 election. Despite being unaffiliated, the NAACP often participates in organizing and voter turnout drives and advocates for progressive causes, especially those that affect people of color. Within the House of Representatives, the Congressional Black Caucus, consisting of 44 black Democrats, serves to represent the interests of African Americans and advocate on issues that affect them.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_(United_States)

notable (IMO) African American politicians ( and related office), and their party affiliations: ( politicians not already mentioned)

Barbara Jordan- D

Shirley Chisholm- D

Hazel O'Leary- D

Harold Ford- D (Centrist)

Joycelyn Elders- D

Edward Brooke- R

Andrew Young- D

Based on the above article, there was a shift to a Democratic stronghold among African Americans back in the 1960's with the Civil Rights Movement as a preeminent causal factor. Generally, people vote along their party lines-
 arwen52
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2010 1:06:40 PM

All things considered, I am a man who honestly believes that african americans are better represented by small government.

Yes, but you are a white man. I think African Americans are more qualified to decide what is better for them.

Why do you feel this way? I happen to think that after eight years of "small government and less regulations" that it has not benefited the majority of Americans..no matter what race they happen to be

This is the epitome of every uneducated left winger in America. George W. Bush did everything but practice small government, less regulation conservatism. He expanded the size of government, threw billons of tax dollars to foreign nations for aid, he increased spending, and over regulated both the healthcare and education systems through the federal government.

If you do not know this, then you should not be voting, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Okay, so a black American told you what she thinks and you call her an uneducated left winger. This is why you don't understand why they would vote the way they do and you won't understand until you actually listen to what she and others have to say about their own experience and listen with respect. You don't really want to know why she votes the way she does, you want to argue with her and insult her. That's why many African Americans are turned off by Republicans. They are not listened to, they are not respected, and their point of view is not valued. If all you want to do is argue, you don't really want to understand. And you will never win support with that kind of attitude.
 slybandit
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/20/2010 9:39:08 AM
Seriously, why do "European-Americans" vote Republican?

The whole premise of the question is just **bent**.

It does not even manage to be racist, just incoherent.

Because having enough DNA that traces back to Africa in the relatively recent past, as opposed to the more distant past, means that you will vote the same way as anyone else with that DNA. Seriously, wtf???

Maybe "they" tend to vote Democrat because *they* thought about it and made a reasoned decision in favour of candidates or policies *they* support.

Maybe "they" consider the efforts of the Republican party to get their votes to waver on a colour spectrum from "invisible to the naked eye" to "visibly ineffectual".

Maybe "they" saw Dan Quayle, George W. Bush and Sarah Palin in the space of one generation and made a collective educated guess based on a perception of missing intellectual firepower, who knows?
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/20/2010 6:14:44 PM
I would vote Republican if I earned a million dollars or lived in the sticks.
Anyone(black or white) who isn't rich or a hick isn't welcomed in that cult.
 truly_blessed
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/28/2011 8:37:39 PM
This was an interesting thread I felt should be revived. I will say that I've never voted for a Democratic candidate. I tend to relate more to the Republican perspective on many issues, but have agreed with a few Democratic views. I do not intend to make generalizations, but based on what I've heard and noticed, many blacks vote Democrat because they feel the Republican party is representative of rich, anti-american, anti-black, white people. The Republican party, in their opinion, is designed to hinder advancement and further maintain an inferior status. I disagree with this mentality, and most blacks are misinformed. I believe the Democratic party has continued to enslave blacks by providing this "shelter," in which blacks are dependent upon them for food, healthcare, etc. There is no progression. If blacks truly want to progress in society, measures should be taken to educate and further fund programs for career advancement, instead of feeding into the problem, rather than eliminating it. Republicans want to eliminate the problem of dependency, while Democrats hope to maintain it. Where there is dependency, there is control. Control equates to slavery. Sadly, a lot of blacks fail to realize this, but that's just my 2 cents.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2011 5:00:17 AM
Looking at this historically, it seems to me to be of piece with a number of subgroups of America, which at times APPEAR to vote en mass against their own best interests.

After the end of the Civil War, blacks tended to vote republican, because that's who helped them the most, last. Then the Southern whites regained political control of their states, and changed the rules to keep themselves in power, and the Democrats were the party who represented Anti-Republican/yankee domination. That seems to have lasted until the civil rights movements finally made headway, and at that point things became fluid.
As chance would have it, the GOP at that time decided to take the side of the power structures and big business leaders, and the Democrats chose to at least pretend to side with the underdogs fighting for freedom. Hence the Democrats maintained hegemony in the south, despite having only a short time before been the symbols of oppression.

Things are more confused, now. The GOP is pretending to champion all sorts of things that are good for the subgroups they want to capture, while they are contradicting themselves in other ways. The Democrats are continuing to present a confusing front, with lots of good intentions, but no practical plans.

The GOP does weird things like, when they PRETENDED to support South Carolina keeping the Army of Virginia's battle flag as part of their State flag, that it was because they support States Rights, and not because they want to avoid offending racist whites. Then the issue of gay marriage came up, and the GOP decided the hell with states rights, it's all about principles.

That matches with what I've been seeing happen in the actual voting: there really aren't any racial groups that mostly vote for either party any more, but plenty of people are still being fooled into voting against their own best interests, by BOTH parties.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:16:23 PM

It's plantation politics. Democrats offer handouts, Republicans offer a hand up.

is it just coincidence that of recent ex Presidents, it seems that Democrats are devoted to bettering the world (Carter, Clinton) while the Republican ones just retreat to their ranch or enclave & hide from the world?
 HappyDip
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/3/2011 3:44:41 PM

is it just coincidence that of recent ex Presidents, it seems that Democrats are devoted to bettering the world (Carter, Clinton) while the Republican ones just retreat to their ranch or enclave & hide from the world?

Clinton and Carter just get more ad time.
The only 2 living ex repub presidents are the Bush's.
Bush Jr. does "better" the world and do community things, just not a lot of coverage of it, he does do appearances with Clinton sometimes.
It's easier to hate him.
Bush Sr. is the same age as Carter. He's almost 90. What do you want him to do? Mud wrestle Carter? People age differently
 timetogo3223
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/3/2011 4:04:00 PM
vwwaterfall....

Near as I can tell, the only people who benefit from Social Security privatization are savvy investors, regardless of race. I'd rather not trust my SS benefits to the whims of the market or my investment decisions. My IRA currently holds less value than the money I've put into it so far, so my preference for predictable SS income once I come of age appears justified.

Dave

Speaking as a blanco-American, colorless except in the summer, I would trust even my SS to you, as poorly as you have invested, than to the Democrat spawned SS program. Why? Let's look at the Dems latest investment record: 4 trillion in the hole in less than three years and nothing to show. Not to mention Solyndra.

Over the last 200 plus years the professional government of the US has run up 16 trillion worth of debt. That makes the US record much worse than your record. You have got my money.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/3/2011 8:14:20 PM
I was alive under Carter.
More and better paying jobs then.
So what was your point?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do african americans vote Democrat?