Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > You know you're getting old when ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 relevancequest
Msg: 4
view profile
History
You know you're getting old when ...Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
The music really makes it stand out to me. I'm still shocked to realize that all the great 80's music (my high school years) would probably not have been heard by most who are now in their early 20's while growing up.
 HBKID
Msg: 5
view profile
History
You know you're getting old when ...
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:54:08 PM
Music is the thing for me . Whenever , I start talking about music I grew up with & someone younger doesn't really know what I'm talking about . Then I realize it came out 20 years ago .

Maybe to a point , I feel older because I don't care what I crank up in my car & what looks I get . 5 years ago I would play the new , hip stuff I was into , so I would look " cool " . Now I play whatever I feel like .

Yeah , music is definitely our downfall ...lol
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/24/2009 10:02:54 PM
Hm, I work on campus, and 18 looks younger every year. I swear 18 yrs olds look 12 now!

Pull up you pants, young man!
Pull down your shirt, young lady!

Ha ha, my friend--who is over 10 years younger than I am--used to babysit the bartender at our volleyball facility.

The kids today don't know you can use the key of the car to OPEN it. And most have never driven a shift.
 cookie22222
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 7:07:43 AM
When I'm talking about something & someone asks - when was that? and I have to tell them - 25 years ago...YIKES!!!
 techgirl27
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 10:25:13 AM
Remembering the product debuts of some famous products like Diet Coke (1982) and their predecessors (Tab).

When the songs you used to listen to in High School and Jr High are now on the "oldies" stations.

all we had were rotary dial phones, and when kids see them today they dont know how to use them.

when VCR's came out - and BetaMax

and when there was no internet.

about remotes, some functions are just not available without a remote. I have 2 things that the remote has more buttons than the appliance, so you HAVE to use the remote to do certain things.

(lol about Def Leppard. My kids were born in Sheffield so they definitely got to know who they are).
 tbuddha
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/25/2009 11:00:33 AM
A friend through a party at his beach house a couple months ago and begged me to go so I reluctantly did.

There were mostly rowdy 19-24 year olds so it was interesting, but I knew I was getting old when I found that I was going around picking up after people without even thinking about it.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/25/2009 11:04:30 AM

There were mostly rowdy 19-24 year olds so it was interesting, but I knew I was getting old when I found that I was going around picking up after people without even thinking about it.

That's priceless!!!!
I do the same thing ... except it's with my teenage kids and their friends.
 DocElffington
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 12:39:36 PM
OMG, I can remember the premier of the original Star Wars! I was quite young, but I was hooked just from the trailers.

We went to a walk-in theater just west of the Brookhurst and Ball Rd. intersection, in Anaheim. There was an Arby's right there, to keep us alive thru the wait!

BTW, has anyone else noticed Heavy Metal on the fricken Oldies stations???

Let's see;

When remotes had cords attached to them. Laser disc.

Datsun
 esteban91075
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/26/2009 8:12:28 AM
I was helping a buddy move a year ago.

We were sitting in my car when his 8yr old son pointed to my door with astonishment and wonder in his eyes and asked "Dad what is that?"

I looked over to see what he was pointing at.

It was my window crank.

He had never seen one before.
 DocElffington
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 9:57:21 AM
You discover hairs sprouting up where you don't want them to and rogue hairs in normal places get abnormally long.

I'm becoming vigilant about my eyebrows and ears these days!
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 10:15:13 AM

when you run into the kids you used to babysit at the bar.....

Or when you hear that the ten year old you met briefly once through friends of friends long ago is now up on stage at the tittie bar.
 Monty0791
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 10:40:29 AM
I have dated a girl that I was the same age as their step dad.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 11:40:04 AM
When someone mentioned yesterday that Michael Jackson had died and continued with "and so young, he was only 50".
Thank heavens I only THOUGHT "No he's not that old, he's around my age. Oh, wait, errr, yeah"
 GlindaTheGoodWitch
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 1:20:39 PM
I went to the Bob Dylan concert at the river when he was here this past summer. I sat on a blanket on the ground, believe it or not, and was able to hoist myself up when it was all over.

Bob Dylan is OLD. Scratchier voice than ever. But you should have seen the crowd. I refer to them as the geriatric crowd. They were reliving their youth. A lady appearing 80+ years old was swishing her butt right in front of us.

Yep, I'm old, but some are older!
 Jay.FromNYC
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2009 3:10:50 PM
...You remember H. R. Pufnstuf and know it had nothing to do with drugs.....

c_deacon
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2009 8:48:18 PM
When all your friends look older than you and are either planning weddings for their kids or watching their grand children.........

When someone hits on you and says......."You look great for an older man".....

Just my opinion........
 Rule Britannia
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/22/2009 11:54:16 PM
You meet people (teenagers) who had no idea that Transformers and GI Joe were cartoon series back in the 80's!!!

lol!
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/16/2009 1:04:34 PM
When that balloon boy a few weeks ago was supposidly off flying in what looked like the space ship from the movie Flight of the Navigator. And yet nobody knew what I was talking about, even when I told them that Carrie from Sex in the City was in that movie.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/16/2009 3:01:31 PM

When your bra fits you better on your back, than on your front...
 Sabrosura
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/17/2009 6:57:38 AM

You know you're getting old when.. ...

When you look at your parent(s), and you realize that you have switched "roles". You become the "parent", as they are getting older/slower/with ailments, etc................
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/17/2009 9:11:30 AM
Wonderful!

You remember envying the rich kid in junior high as he showed off his brand new TI-2500 pocket calculator-the one that ran for about 15 minutes on 4 AA batteries.

Dood! LOL! I still have (and use at work) my TI-25!!!! I recall going to the store with my dad [1978] to buy a calculator with algebraic functions because my sister's cost him $150, so it was a BIG purchase. Mine, a year later--$25!!
 boho_bookworm
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/17/2009 2:04:17 PM
When you 're talking to a cute guy you like and you mention a movie you saw as an adult (that feels like it was just a couple of years ago... for example Titanic) and he says, "I watched that with my mom when I was a kid."

Uh... yeah, that really happened to me!
 Sabrosura
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/18/2009 12:18:36 PM
.......when it takes you 1/2 hour to thread a needle!!!!
 TooShadows
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2009 6:55:12 AM
You tell a joke that was old when you were young and nobody's ever heard it.

I've had younger people ask me who Lorne Greene was,and they don't know that William Shatner was on Star Trek.

The most glaring was this past fall. I was working on a highway paving crew,and we were staying in a camp. The last couple of weeks the company decided to move us into a hotel. The boss tells us that some of the rooms have 2 double beds and some have a double bed and a hide-a-bed,and if there's any cases where a younger guy and an older guy are sharing one of those the older guy was to get the bed. Then he named off some of the "older" guys,and he included me!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > You know you're getting old when ...