Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How far would you travel for a love affair?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marty09
Msg: 26
view profile
History
How far would you travel for a love affair?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have commented numerous times that I have a love hate relationship with technology today. A website can connect you to people from around the world...If indeed you do find someone that you feel you could have a strong connection with...take a real deep breath...look for their location...then exhale slowly, because the balloon is about to deflate leaving you frustrated and angry...in a lot of cases.
Now if you are willing to do the initial long distance communication thing, to test whether or not it's even worth knowing that person at all ...GREAT! I say, good communication can be had and you are able get to know him/her without the pressures of that first dat syndrom.
Now if either of you do decide to either make a move or find a way to spend the day together on the other's turf, to finally meet face to face...Great! But let's be serious here...Who is willing or able to do that....Those woman who love to travel...LOL
It's a whole new world out here...Why should the guy initiate that first meeting...hmmmm?
 ankkka
Msg: 27
How far would you travel for a love affair?
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:00:57 PM
Anywhere ...but only for one reason...when one moment with somebody is worth everything in my life...
Of course...is impossible...
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:02:46 PM

It seems the current governor of S. Carolina was not trekking in the mountains, but rather was in Argentina, with his girlfriend. I find this curious behavior,

Really, well if you were a politician curious behavior is the norm!

My last and only ldr which ended up marrying after we met lasted over 20 years and had 2 wonderful children.

Anything is possible and if two hearts and agree and understand the distance then only time will tell if this arrangement can work for both.
 Levi501s
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:16:13 PM
The distance I would travel is directly proportional to the level of mutual attraction/connection we share. I would make no other steadfast claims, cause ya never know!

The Gov. did wrong. However, he dropped the charade, came clean, admitted, and owned his immoral behavior. How many politicians have we seen do that???

Gotta admitt, I have a little admiration for him. Not enough to vote for him, but a little.

just a couple thoughts
 chance747
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:28:39 PM
i personally think that there is someone for everyone, and she just might not be in the same town, state, or country you are, and i would travel, move, whatever it took, to be with the woman for me, sure you could settle for the fish in a small pool, but your probably more likely to find a better match in a large pool, then you do what it takes to make it happen, love can move mountains, so it certainly could move me......and why should the guy initiate the first date,.... well, because he's the guy,...
 ALilMsChevious
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:35:08 PM
How far...well I have traveled across the state and he has traveled to me. That was fine when we both had 2-3 days open and could do that. Now, it's more difficult to do. We are still friends to this day and call on occasion by phone.

I have flown BACK across country to the opposite side. Shouldn't have but that would not stop me from doing it again for the right reasons.

I have had several fly in from out of state- some worked, some didn't. This was not recently but in my younger years.

I have driven 2 hours there ....2 hours back.

I have met in the middle for a date. Still will.

Let's say I have given finding the RIGHT guy a chance and still will if I see something there worth going after.

I personally think anyone who thinks only within their "neighborhood" driving distance is nuts and should expand their horizions to what might be beyone the next exit.

I do agree...gas prices are going up..and up...and I would PREFER someone closer by for the simple reason of being spontaneous and calling and saying.. hey sweetie.. come on over for ________ and it only takes a short while till he's here, or I am there.

BUT.. that will not stop me from looking elsewhere for love... if that is what it takes!

I work a hectic schedule as it is, but I do not sit at a desk so my time is MY time. How I use it is up to me.

ack... almost forgot to answer your other question.. why should the guy initiate the first meeting? BECAUSE I am still a lady and a lady likes to be ASKED. Not saying I would not hesitate to say a few things in that direction.. but preferences being...

Megaladonfishy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:38:55 PM
It depends on if the taxpayers are buying the tickets and hotel/meals
 Elle Kaye
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 5:47:50 PM
Levi - I haven't even gotten to the morality factor. That's between the gov, his God, and his wife.
But he left the country without letting even his staff know his destination, without any emergency contingencies in place, inevitably to lose his place on the GOP short list for their next presidential candidate, and losing the honor of chairing the national Governors' Assoc.

To paraphrase Jay Leno, . . . . What Was He Thinking? Why commit political suicide?
Chutspa? Ego? Balls? Stupidity? Mental Illness? Breakdown?
 Levi501s
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:10:44 PM

Levi - I haven't even gotten to the morality factor. But he left the country without letting even his staff know his destination, without any emergency contingencies in place, inevitably to lose his place on the GOP short list for their next presidential candidate, and losing the honor of chairing the national Governors' Assoc.

To paraphrase Jay Leno, . . . . What Was He Thinking? Why commit political suicide?
Chutspa? Ego? Balls? Stupidity? Mental Illness? Breakdown?

Not seeing your point.

My only point is we all screw-up. The best thing, IMO, to do when that happens is to own ones part in the mess, no matter the consequences. It takes cajones grande!

If you want to get somewhere, you first have to acknowledge where you are. In my experience, most people don't do this.

Politicians, virtually never admitt fault.

just a 'some politicians are human' thought
 islandfires
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:23:48 PM
I hitch hiked over 700 miles one way to ask my girl friend if I could carry her books to class one morning. Just because she was away at college and needed a smile and to know no one had forgotten her while she was gone. That smile and hug when she came out the door and saw me standing there was worth every ride I hitched on the way. That part of the 70's I do remember.
 stevelfun
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:43:35 PM
I flew from Massachusetts to Texas for the mere possibility that there might be something special there (and I am not talking about sex).

If I felt the woman 'could be it' - I would travel round the globe.
 strawberi50
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/24/2009 6:47:20 PM
If I thought it was the real thing.... well, what can I say.... Mmmm...I always did love a good road trip!!!!!!!!!!! Almost flew to Wyoming once! (at his expense) ....! Distance is not a negative to me. It can actually be an incentive as long as the windows are down and the music is blaring! :)
 dustcloud
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/24/2009 7:04:00 PM
I have never been out of the count and wont leave it.....just kidding
 April_Baby10
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/24/2009 8:00:47 PM
I'd like to think I tried and that I'm proactive, but I'm practical enough to know someone special might not live nearby, so I've actually driven from Ohio to Ontario twice (301 miles from my doorstep to his), but it hasn't worked out, not due to distance, but to other factors. I would hate to think I missed out on meeting a guy who could rock my world if I didn't go that extra mile. Maybe I'm just an impractical romantic, but I'm making the effort, although after some disappointing meet and greets, I'm trying to be more realistic and not travel as far unless I think the guy, from our e-mails and phone conversations, seems to be a fairly good match.

However, just to let you all know that somtimes continental dating does work, I'd like to tell you my 29 year old niece from Ohio met an Australian guy online playing Harshlands, an online game. After talking to one another over a year online, he made the trip to Ohio to meet her, and she ended up going back with him and living in Australia for the past two years. They got engaged this past year, flew in to Ohio just this last week, and will be getting married here August 8.
 garacer
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/24/2009 8:16:12 PM
I just rode a motorcycle from Texas to Florida and back to meet someone! Didn't work out so well for me. Of course I'm easy. I'm trying to learn not to be so darn trusting!
 lonesomerick
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 8:28:05 PM
My brother met a women online, flew her from New Zeland to Korea, they've been married 6-7 years now...happy as hell.
 John Wisdom
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 8:46:49 PM
The circumference of the earth is about 25,000 miles, so no more than 12,500 miles.

That's a circumference of about 40,000 kilometers for you metric fans. So, I'd go no more than 20,000 kilometers.

It seems to me that it would be crazy to travel more than halfway around the world, if you do, you started off in the wrong direction.

I have made the acquaintance of a lovely, wonderful woman who happens to live in Western Australia and we work at our relationship every day. The travelling part is yet to happen, but it will soon. We plan to each travel to each other and spend some time in each location, then we'll make a decision about where to live to continue our relationship.

Why limit yourself to finding the "right one" in your own backyard? That seems as silly as making a person's eye colour a "dealbreaker".
 ForumFilly
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/24/2009 9:13:47 PM
RE: Msg 40

I just rode a motorcycle from Texas to Florida and back to meet someone! Didn't work out so well for me. Of course I'm easy. I'm trying to learn not to be so darn trusting!
Garacer, was that the same woman who failed to show up at the airport? Sorry it didn't work out for you but at least you gave it a try! Good for you! And don't stop being so trusting. Just make sure you've gotten to know the woman well.

RE: Msg 42

I have made the acquaintance of a lovely, wonderful woman who happens to live in Western Australia and we work at our relationship every day. The travelling part is yet to happen, but it will soon. We plan to each travel to each other and spend some time in each location, then we'll make a decision about where to live to continue our relationship.
Good for you, Not just another John! There must be something about those 'Awesome Aussies' that are attracting us Yanks.
 crazy4mars
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/24/2009 9:47:10 PM
The crazy italian and I dated for 15 yrs...he would come here and I went to italy.
Another guy I dated lived on the east coast and we would travel back and forth.
Last year my an ex-bf and I got back together he lives in houston me san diego so I traveled again and we did vacations thruout the US.
I haven't found anyone on POF...if I did I wouldn't mind traveling...
 pleasurelimits
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 12:54:51 AM
I honestly believe that distance is irrelivant. If you meet someone as I have who just rocks your world in all the ways you feel important, visa vie: just ticks all the boxes, why on earth would you pass that up. As my girl has said on here, we are just going to make it work, forget the distance, right my little filly, I would advise anyone that if you find someone you could love in the truest sense of the word then get off your arse and make it happen, you just might not get another chance.
 txnightowl
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/25/2009 3:51:33 AM
I'm in Texas and not too long ago had a sweetheart in Alaska.
In the early '90s I was living in Sweden and went to New Zealand for love.
Need I say more? ;-)
If I think the guy's worth it, distance does not pose a problem.
 HDspringer09
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/25/2009 4:59:35 AM
A couple of years ago, I went from coast to coast...PA to CA..she did the same, CA to PA. It did not last real long as a relationship, but has since turned into a great friendship.

The second attempt at a LDR involved Texas, and a whole thread has been written about that disaster.

Now, for reasons of time and finances, I'd prefer to stay much closer to home for dating....25 - 30 miles, especially if we are going to be dating more than once a week. But, since I'll ride the M/C 100 miles to meet a female friend just to go for an additional 200 - 300 miles ride, and then 100 miles home again, that may sound strange. But, I know where I stand with the riding partners, and there is no risk...it's just a ride, not a date. And it only happens every couple of weeks. I couldn't see doing that a couple of times a week, as in a dating/love affair situation.
 loveablonde
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2009 6:11:39 AM
I am now driving around 260 miles to see my man I met on POF.....and he does the same. I don't mind driving and it is for the most part all turnpike driving. It will be a year in July. I did not know when I met him that I would lose my job this year (June 30th is it) but I have decided to sell my home and move his way. We have had not problems with the LDR. I would not travel to another continent nor fly across the United States.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/25/2009 7:05:03 AM

I did not know when I met him that I would lose my job this year (June 30th is it) but I have decided to sell my home and move his way. We have had not problems with the LDR.

It's been my experience if one moves to another location it would be wise first, if you can adjust to the area, meet friends,etc, before you sell your present home.
I travel alot to Fl. and you can't believe the folks who retire down there and a year later are homesick,miss the family and friends but can't go back cuz, the life they left,
is now, cost restrictive.
If anything try it out first and if it really doesn't suit you, you can return home without losing a roof over your head. Good luck.
 SPF30
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/25/2009 8:03:58 AM
It's benefited me to have a broad view of the world, so I'm probably the type not see distance as a barrier.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How far would you travel for a love affair?