Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 33
Grey Hair: Distinguished, or EX-tinguished?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
~OT~ I hadn't seen my exhusband in a while and in Sept., I spent some time with him. He is now sporting the most beautiful "George Clooney" hair. He's always been exceptionally handsome, but now? He's quite stunning. I think he's aged quite a bit in the past couple of years, but the trendy cut and the silver really is appealing on him.

I am not partial to graying on blonds or light brown hair, however. It seems thinning happens and the gray is wiry ~ that (in my opinion) doesn't flatter MOST men. JMO
 anunu
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Grey Hair: Distinguished, or EX-tinguished?
Posted: 2/28/2010 8:57:29 PM
For me personally, I am not with the grey hair
Maybe once I start turning grey, I may embrace it a little more.
For now, it is not for me. I don't like to look like I am dating my father!
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/1/2010 2:29:08 AM
I think there's plenty of evidence in this thread and elsewhere that the gray works for men but I do not think it's typically the same case for women. If a woman is content with her gray hair, that's great but when a gray-haired woman complains that she can't meet a guy, I can't help but point out the obvious.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:43:28 AM
This is a good question. I don't think any of the women in my family have ever gone grey. Although, it can look good on some women and men, IMO.

I've asked my friends if I should get my goatee colored and they say no because they think it is a lie. However, none of those people are out in the dating world so I'm guessing they might just have an edge to grind with it.
 punkin1971
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/16/2010 9:45:47 AM
Alot of men look great with salt and pepper hair. Others would look awsome if they colored it.
 milklover
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/28/2010 11:04:25 AM
There is nothing wrong with grey hair. I don't mind seeing it on women. Sometimes I wonder if I have any grey hair yet, but I'll probably never know :) I rarely even let my head or face develop stubble.
 jema3
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 9:41:23 PM
ummmm 80% grey, brunette, or completely 100% grey- you are STILL tall, dark, and handsome
Obviously I dont mind it in the opposite sex...that would be hypocritical, but I really dont mind.
I also dont mind it on me. When I dyed my hair in past I never had people compliment my hair, but since I decided to embrace my au natural.. I constantly get complimented on my hair color from those I know, hairdressers, even strangers! or hear them whispering about it in malls and lineups. That tells me something for sure. But I do find I absolutely have to keep it stylish or else it does look a bit old.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/7/2011 4:13:57 PM

Not only is grey hair acceptable on a man but it is considered sexy.On a woman it just makes you look like old and dried up.I am sure there will be some men who deny this but most men are not attracted to grey hair on a woman.

My BF is just getting tinges of gray, and it looks great. As for women? I have gray. No one would know because I have multi-colored hair naturally. I don't think I look old and dried up, others may think so, however.

Dyeing your hair takes years off your look.

Older women that dye their hair should go a tad darker than their regular color vs. lighter. Lighter adds years in appearance. I don't dye mine, doubt I ever will, but if so? Every stylist I have used or know today all agree ~ going lighter after a certain age is a faux-paux.

I actually haven't died mine in months due to illness but as of yet I have not noticed any grey hair.For that I am thankful I guess but my natural hair color is mousy and boring.

I looked at your pic. I don't think your hair looks boring or mousy. Maybe because you've been ill you just feel like it does. (Hope you're better!!)
 60to70
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/9/2011 8:24:06 PM
Grey hair is beside the point. Has anybody looked lately at the chemical mix in dye? Uck. What keeps one beautiful is whats inside your brain which will always overcome any slight thing such as grey hair. And if all are believers in falsehoods, so be it. One day you will be ninety or? and pretty garish in your dyed artifice. Slaves of fashion and illusion.
 Walts
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/13/2011 3:33:57 PM
I just looked in the mirror and I gots NO HAIR!!! Well, dats a lie, but my hair is the colour it is,whatever that is.

As for my opinion,,,does it matter???? Not really according to what the posters say here. It's all relative to the person. One of the posters here even ORDERED us men to dye their hair!!!! I'd tell her where to go,but it's against the rules.

If ya can look in the mirror and smile,,,I think you can call it good to go. Me,,,,I just laugh.
 abelian
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/20/2011 7:29:05 PM
My fiancee kept telling me that my gray hair was attractive, but I'm vain and had it colored anyway. Guess what? She admitted that it looked better and made me look younger. A little gray may look distinguished, but at some point (especially when a guy's hair starts getting really thin on top), adding a little of the natural color back will knock a few years off.
 Walts
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/21/2011 5:33:09 AM

adding a little of the natural color back will knock a few years off.

But,but, what if I don't wanna knock those years off?????
 abelian
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/21/2011 8:39:23 AM

But,but, what if I don't wanna knock those years off?????

You can grow old more gracefully than I plan to.
 abelian
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/21/2011 1:44:55 PM

I mean really... doesn’t a guy get to keep ANY of the original paint?

Since shaving the nether regions is the in thing these days, that problem is easily solved in a trendy way.
 Walts
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/21/2011 4:28:51 PM
^^^ They make certain tools nowadays that makes things much easier and less risky if ya know what I mean. Not that I would know anything about that kinda stuff at my age!!!!
 forumfishie
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/22/2011 1:24:14 PM
"I mean really... doesn’t a guy get to keep ANY of the original paint? "

I thought most guys were into restoring old things
Sanding, varnishing, painting......no?

Anderson Cooper looks great in grey
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/22/2011 2:12:35 PM
There's nothing more attractive than a nice head of silver-grey hair on an older guy---which is what my 62-year-old BF has. I think dark dyed hair on a mature man often looks phony---giving him sort of a "John Edwards" look.

Highlighted hair on a man is no better in my opinion, and can make him look effeminate. I've also noticed that men are seldom as diligent about keeping their roots touched up as women are, and the regrowth always looks obvious and gives them away.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/23/2011 7:26:25 AM
I love grey hair on men, and would not want mine to color it. His signs of aging look rugged and sexy to me. I have always liked older me tho...so perhaps a woman who has always liked younger looking men would be into a man coloring his hair...not me tho.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2011 7:29:30 AM
Oh sure..grey hair is distinguished on a man..UNTIL YOU FIND A GREY PUBIC HAIR..then the world comes to a crashing end..

Naw, in all seriousness..women like to be pretty. Some look gorgeous in natural hair, some look just as gorgeous in tinted/dyed hair.

Just cuz there's snow on top, don't mean the fire's out down below.
 MsMicki
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2011 5:03:36 PM

Not only is grey hair acceptable on a man but it is considered sexy.On a woman it just makes you look like old and dried up.I am sure there will be some men who deny this but most men are not attracted to grey hair on a woman.

Oh good lord......so now I look old and dried up?!!
Why is it that it is always women that make that kind of statement?
If I had a dime for every stranger that has stopped me to tell me how much they
love my hair......I'd be one damn rich woman!!

I can only speak for myself......but I know I have this complete confidence in
being the "real" me. And the real me is a very soon to be 48 yr old woman with
a head full of white hair! And the woman underneath that hair.....is still the same
vibrant, full of life woman she always has been.

Just cuz there's snow on top, don't mean the fire's out down below.

Amen!!
and as for my Salt & Pepper look "down below".....guess what....still tastes and works the same!!
 MsMicki
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 7:30:28 PM
I always wonder who they think they are fooling....dye the hair on their head....then
every other hair on their body is grey/white!!

Doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman.....keeping up with dying once you
start is a must.
Way too time consuming and costly for me personally.
 MsMicki
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2011 7:51:09 AM

What's ten minutes out of your life to look better? It's worth it.

"Look better" is subjective.
To some of us..... no chemicals, no fuss, no money is what is "worth it".
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/4/2011 10:14:02 AM
~OT~ Years ago I went out with a man who was Italian/Hawaiian. Beautiful hair (and blue eyes, oddly, anyway......) we went to Hawaii and when we met in Vegas for our flight over, I noticed he had colored his hair. I'm fairly certain HE colored his hair and he certainly did not do a good job of doing so. He didn't look the same, it looked absolutely silly and there was color on his skin around his temples. I have NO idea what made him think that he needed to do that, he was gorgeous. The graying temples pre dye-job? Very sexy. (I didn't see him again after that trip ~ had little to do with the hair, he had also become a racist and homophobe, in the short time pre-trip, which was uglier than the bad hair.) JMO
 Friendly widow
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2011 5:10:07 PM
My yucky blonde hair started to turn white in my 30s.For quite a while I enjoyed the natural highlights but it was solid white all too soon and friends told me it was aging!For the mos part I colour it myself but occasionally get highlights done professionally.I feel better with some colour in my hair as I am very fair and look like a ghost with all white hair and winter white skin!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/3/2011 1:44:50 PM
^^^You are so right. Stress is a killer on lots of things in our bodies and on top of our heads. I didn't have a gray hair on my head and then my son died. I looked in the mirror last month and gasped Elvira had less of a gray streak than I had. GRRRRRRRRRRR !!!

~OT~ My SO has lovely gray speckling his hair. It's beautiful on him. On me? Not so much. I'm now taking the plunge into the world of coloring. He's all for whatever makes me happy ~ so I guess he'll retain his temples of gray and I'll be bottled-colored now.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >