Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Smoky_Blue
Msg: 66
Can Anyone Relate to Dating a Woman who is Bi-Polar?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
oh please!

Sounds like a chick that uses her bipolar to a wrong "advantage". Most of us do not do that. ;)
It's the one's with major issues that screw things up the loudest.

Kinda like the people that put the no drama on their profiles, 99% just want to have the drama. Sad.

Anyone can lie, steal, use and abuse.. but its sick to hear that she used bipolar as an excuse.. sounds like she was playing you, and did not care, and your picker was broken when you picked her. Wish you good luck next time! :)
 TheTruth223
Msg: 67
Can Anyone Relate to Dating a Woman who is Bi-Polar?
Posted: 6/21/2012 3:22:19 AM
I thought they all are.
 Smoky_Blue
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/21/2012 7:56:55 PM

Dated someone who lied to me about it! Well she says it wasn't a lie, she just didn't tell me the truth at that time! Make sense? No? Anyway, be glad you got out. They tend to be extremely disorganized, have screwed up boundaries and priorities. They use guilt to get what they want or"...I will kill myself!". The next person I do date will be asked up front again and if I'm lied to again I will walk.

ummm wow..

Paragraphs aren't working well with me tonight lmao..

I try too hard to be organized.. but yet I am bipolar.. and can not help, my ADHD gets into the way of my bipolar.. (bip0olar end tends to organize things way too well, and that is why I have coded over 600 websites to date as of my last year, eh some time ago..) I promise, I can get your sock drawer straighter than you by organizing your socks to left and right foot, pairs and more.. hmm.. wont touch your jock straps tho :P

boundaries?? I have a man.. totally real, flesh and blood and he loves me for who I am, not my issues. Try that on the next person you meet and see how it feels eh??

I do not use people, I pay my bills and on time tyvm!! YAY me, my credit score is fantastic but yet I have common sence to use cash where ever I go.. bite me.. I might like it.. :)

Guilt? oh did I make you feel guilty? too bad. lmao.. boy I am having way too much fun with you, it should be ilegal, but yet my boyfriend says keep posting, someone has to stand up for us "way wrong bipolar peepz" :P

Dont ask if they are bipolar.. please do not..

Seriously, take both of yourselves to a notably decent head d0octor.. If they next person will allow themselves to be poked proded and treated like sh!t.. good impression dude!! what a way to win someone to your heart.. or is it just your wallet and c%ck? hahaha!!! please..

Next!!

I thought they all are.

Yeps we all have a bit of mental in us.. each and every one.. Those that say they wont date someone with or without bipolar or any other mental or physical disorder or not..

mmm back to 151 and coke.. peace out peepz and try to not freak when the next person mails you.. they might need someone with a decent head mind and heart..unless you are only in it for the bootay!! ^_^

PS:

ignore my spelling typos.. I am a southern bipolar and honestly if you can not read what the heck is here, get some kindness and compassion for a drunk bipolar lmao..

nite nite ;)
 spartachick
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/21/2012 10:44:51 PM
I dont know if he was for sure but i have 2 high school friends who are. We dated for about a year and it would be all wonderful and spending all kinds of time together, he would tell me he loves me and hold me close. Then almost overnight he would say i just want to be friends, i want to #### other women and you need to leave me alone. Two weeks later he would call me up and say that he loves me and misses me and wants me back. This went on for a year which makes me an idiot. But the point is it happened every 6 to 8 weeks. And he didnt just drink he would drink for 2 days streight... seriously. And play ACDC really loud continuosly.
But when it was good it was really good...comfortable and loving. It can be hard to draw a line on that. You have to decide what your willing to compromise. If they are mean to you or get violent that is a good place to draw a line. Be careful and good luck.
 Tristle
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:36:37 PM
I hate bipolar people for the most part. it usually serves as leverage for them to justify all sorts of behaviors. Entitlement, selfishness, the list goes on. I will never try to help one out again
 Smoky_Blue
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:15:38 PM

I hate bipolar people for the most part. it usually serves as leverage for them to justify all sorts of behaviors. Entitlement, selfishness, the list goes on. I will never try to help one out again

That sounds like a liberal more than a bipolar :P or a free loader.. ya know, gimmie or else ima whine scream and make you so miserable you feel like you gota do something.. gesh.. and know what? Anyone can be that, not just bipolars XD
 Tristle
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/23/2012 5:57:15 AM
That sounds like a liberal more than a bipolar :P or a free loader..

I am not a professional mental health person, but bipolars are manipulative as hell and that characteristic seems to accompany bipolars. I have heard that bps are generall very smart people but in my experience I'd describe them as more persistent in that regard. they wear me down anyway, and yes, to the immediately previous poster, it's always the other person's fault
 rockondon
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 3:14:13 PM
My last relationship (about 14 months) was with a bipolar woman. The one before that was manic depressive.
I've done my tour with mental illness now. Having mental health has now become a priority for me.
 ExcaliburKen
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/24/2012 6:16:11 AM
Let me tell you, I was married for 20 years with someone bipolar. You can't make a person happy that doesn't want to be happy. I'm now separated for 2 years and I'm much happier now. No more worrying about who I'm coming home to everyday. If you are in or starting a relationship with someone bipolar, Think it out first!!!!!
 mitisluman
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2012 7:45:07 PM
LOL all women are NUTS just more then others GOOD LUCK and keep your head down
 BlackJacket87
Msg: 76
Posted: 6/24/2012 11:07:49 PM
Nah they all are on the same level of crazy, just have different outlets for it.
 catfa51
Msg: 77
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:41:37 AM
I will never do it again because there is always one day they decide "I'm not taking my meds!" and it's all over!
 lngnlean01
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/25/2012 5:30:32 AM
Hello Compassionpower, I've dated a woman who was bi-polar and if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't I'd run like hell.First red flag that didn't occur to me was that she did not post a picture of herself. She did send me one three weeks later and her excuse was that men see her breasts and that's all they look at. She might have had a point there but I found out that it was more than that she was hiding. She did not disclose that she was a depressive until I was involved with her,then I went thru it with her.Watching her lose her apartment,moving in with me for a short time,Walking around looking disturbed constantly,going to bed all the time and pulling the covers over her head due to people were watching her,taking her to the psych ward,calling the paramedics due to her overdosing on meds.Therefore I say the early indications were none,you just have to be with them for some time and it will show itself .But once you do know it's a very,very,very hard thing to deal with,especially when she wasn't honest up front about telling me these things about herself. She was not hiding her breast from men,she was hiding herself. I do know that with those kind of woman they only can last with you three to four months the max, then you will start seeing signs of a different person.So just give it time,just like you would any relationship and pay attention because it shows itself,none of us are able to hide from ourselves and being bi-polar is worse. If you can get out of the relationship before you get to involved, do it and run like hell because it only gets worse. I don't mean to offend anyone this was just my experience.
 FlyyinSolo87
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/25/2012 8:25:36 AM
I'll just give my whole take on this. As someone who does have bi-polar, I can tell you that yes life is hard to live with them if they are not managing it properly. From my experience, bi-polar is likened to having diabetes or high blood pressure. They need to be managed through medication, regular doctor appointment(therapy and med management appts.), exercise, no drinking, drug use(other than what's prescribed), and getting proper sleep. If someone tells you that they are bi-polar, these are the things that you need to be aware that they are doing to show they pose no threat. If on your dates she drinks, then tells you she's bi-polar, please run because she's obviously going to use it as a scapegoat for her potential misbehavior. I can't say that a bi-polar should never, ever drink. I do drink on very rare occasions, only like 2 maybe 3 times a year, and when I do it's just one drink. I'm talking a beer, or a glass of wine, not a mixed drink with 4 kinds of alcohol in it. But other than showing extremely risky behavior, like falling in love way to soon, or starting a fight right in the place where you're on the date, there aren't many other key indicators. Most people who have known me over the course of the last 6 months are shocked when I tell them I'm bi-polar because I show no indications for the very reason that I'm managing it properly. If they do tell you, you need to ask what medication they are on, if they go to therapy, how well they sleep, just to see if they are managing if properly. If they say no they don't go to therapy or no they're not on meds, again run.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2012 3:38:37 PM
{quote} could it be that she does have sex with other men just before she goes ill? [? quote} She may well be having sex with other men during a manic phase or episode. Hyper sexual behavior is classic of bipolar. That is not what causes the behaviors, it is only a symptom of the illness. It may be that she is not taking her medication because she feels she is doing so well. It also may be that her medications just need to be adjusted or new meds put in place.Everyone that has bipolar demonstrates symptoms differently. The mood swings are apparent and often differ in length and severity for each individual. The symptoms are basically the same, but are manifested differently in each individual as well.Living with a person that is diagnosed with bipolar is an extreme challenge. One must learn as much as they can about the illness and have excellent coping skills to sustain a relationship with person with bipolar.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2012 12:36:35 PM
Yes, I have been in psychiatric nursing for many years. Currently, I work 2 days a week with mentally ill folks that are in crisis.NO NO, I am not say your wife is having sex with other men. If she is experiencing a manic episode, being sexually inappropriate is a symptom that sometimes manifests itself. Sometimes even when an indivdual takes their meds consistently and as order by their doc, they can still fall apart and may require hospitalization and adjustment of medications. Sounds like she is on a good med regime. My heart goes out to you!!!
 OutMind
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/27/2012 12:47:44 PM

some days she would be very loving and caring and say things like "would never change you by any other man" etc.

I experienced this as well. The problem was that when she hit the other side, it was as if she didn't know me.

The hypersex happened also on the Manic stage, but it would quickly degraded to picking fights about very stupid things.

For years and years I feel I am only caring for her and servicing her needs, she would always like to be in control. I am always avoiding anything just incase it may trigger another elapse

This is also very typical. Eventually the SO of the bipolar becomes a codependent and it made feel as if is THEM the one s that are wrong. Since they have their label, they can scoop any type of behavior under the bipolar umbrella. And Meds are not going to solve it. Meds mediate the extremes, but they do not change the psychological part of the sickness. I went to a psyche center where my ex was admitted to the SO meetings and they two things they talk about is how you become codependent, but also that meds are only one third of the problem. The person HAS to go to therapy, and the person has to be willing to work on their behaviors. Also because many bipolars hyper focus, they consider the efforts of others below them and become extremely critical of others. Even her oncologist, one of the best around was called by her as inept or not good enough.

What you need to do is do not allow how you feel about it to be shadowed by the excuse of being bipolar. For then she will always get away with everything and you will be made feel guilty for her bad behavior and not trying to understand. Do dude. Unless you are also going to therapy together, maybe it's time you bail out and started thinking about who you are and what is it that you want in life outside of the codependency.
 lastinglove4ever
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/27/2012 3:55:10 PM
Bravo!! I could't have said it better myself! I was diagnosed 20 yrs ago. As long as I stay on meds see my doctor and therapist, my life is great. The majority of people don't understand it or use it as an excuse. It is stimatized because it is not your "regular" for a lack of a better word, disease. MY ex-husband was very abusive, refused to go to therapy with me and would not hear anything I was trying to tell him. I once told him "ok, if you go off your diabetic medicine, I'll go off mine." That kept him quite for awhile. He stayed on his, as I also stayed on mine! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING BI-POLAR, ITS THE PEOPLE WHO REFUSE TO RESEARCH IT, AND ALSO "RUBBER STAMP" IT!
Thank you
 FairlyAlright
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/27/2012 4:53:38 PM

bipolar girls should just date guys in their own pyscho circle

^ Charming, bigbrainman.

The first woman I met online (but did not date) was bipolar. She was probably one of the sweetest people I've ever met. I never witnessed a manic episode, but she told me about a couple of them - I honestly couldn't picture her in some of the scenarios she described.

It's challenging to date someone who is bipolar, but if you really cared for the person, it would be worth it. Knowing the warning signs, you could help by taking appropriate action at the onset of a manic episode.
 larissan04
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/27/2012 7:58:24 PM
why bother dating a woman with such a malady? there are lots of great women out there that aren't suffering from some mental disorder...why would you knowingly put yourself through that?

it's going to end in tears...that's all i am saying...but then again, i think you know that already
 OutMind
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/27/2012 8:29:05 PM

It's challenging to date someone who is bipolar, but if you really cared for the person, it would be worth it. Knowing the warning signs, you could help by taking appropriate action at the onset of a manic episode.

Very naive, may I say. It's like playing with radioactive material with latex gloves and thinking it will not affect you. Dream on dude.
 FlyyinSolo87
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/28/2012 5:28:07 PM

why bother dating a woman with such a malady? there are lots of great women out there that aren't suffering from some mental disorder...why would you knowingly put yourself through that?

it's going to end in tears...that's all i am saying...but then again, i think you know that already

I'm quoting this simply because is does really show a lack of understanding of mental health disorders. I'm saying, from someone who has struggled with this disorder since god knows when, that when I was not on any medication but Prozac(which, by the way, exacerbates the symptoms of any mood instability because that's what bi-polar is), running was your only option. But I'm telling you, that people who have known me my whole life can see how much more in control of myself than I have ever been. Yes there are millions of great women out there that have no mental affliction, but there are also millions of amazing women with such afflictions and it's sad that they get in the way of showing their greatness. Should they be pitied? No they shouldn't, but you shouldn't just cast them aside like some kind of leper. Do you know it took me from the time I had my son to Christmas of last year to finally get the right kind of help I needed? Now I'm not making excuses for people who will not control their disorder when they have the opportunity presented to them, but it is so difficult to get into a facility that can help you when there aren't enough. It took me having a nervous breakdown before I could finally get into treatment. Yes there are those that refuse the treatment when it's handed to them, but there are those like me who took their disorder by the balls and showed it up. But you'll never see those, you won't even notice them. Those who actively try to control their bipolar have to tell you because that is the only way you will find out. I'm telling you through a strict regimen of medication, therapy, proper sleep, no drinking or drug use, and limiting the amount of pressure they put on themselves, a bi-polar can function just as well as someone who doesn't have any mental health affliction. Like I said before, bi-polar is like having diabetes, it needs to be regulated and controlled.
 OutMind
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/29/2012 10:09:15 AM

I'm quoting this simply because is does really show a lack of understanding of mental health disorders.

What you have to understand is that there are two sides to being bipolar. The bipolar person, and how the bipolar person affects other people. Many of the things that people gripe about bipolars are not made up, but rather because they lived with them. When I say something about bipolar is because not only did I lived it, but then in my own therapy to figure out what went down, my therapist has explain classic behaviors. Now, you may have it under control. That is awesome. Many bipolars have it under control as well, that is awesome too. There are other behaviors, other psychosis that can be as damaging to others and these people are considered normal.

So, while you may want to defend how you deal with being bipolar, realize that does not apply to many others suffering the same illness.
 rockondon
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2012 5:06:13 PM
You mean some women are NOT bipolar?!?

just kidding.
I've done my time with ex's with mental illness - bipolar, depression, anxiety - they suck the life out of you. It feels like they draw the happiness out of you in a futile attempt to fill the bottomless black hole of misery within them. And when a bipolar person isn't killing you with mood swings, they'll often cheat on you thanks to their hypersexuality during mania.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2012 5:18:22 PM
I think you have said it all so well, my friend. So sad, but, you can only tolerate so much stress and strife and then you know when it is time to move on. I have worked with many a bipolar in a clinical setting and it is real!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >