Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hotrodius
Msg: 116
Can Anyone Relate to Dating a Woman who is Bi-Polar?Page 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Until you have Endured a few years with someone that has this condition you have no concept. I have been told by all of my friends that i am a man who is loving giving and caring, i have relationships that span over 40 years since i am a child. All the love empathy and compassion i had was given every day i red books, seeked professional help, they can bring out the worst in anyone. When you love someone so deeply you want to help them, you do what ever you can. But when it is destroying your self worth and long standing friendships and all you find your self doing is having to validate your self then you have to make a painful choice. It is very heartbreaking . All my life i have been a giver, I don't need someone to tell me im a self centered person and then have to go lay on a couch to ask the same person i have been seeing for years if this is true ? for her to tell me the other person is projecting ? Its all about them. I need it to be all about US.
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 117
Can Anyone Relate to Dating a Woman who is Bi-Polar?
Posted: 12/31/2012 7:37:59 AM

Yes, been there, done that and will NOT do it again.
 churumbeque
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2012 7:42:38 AM
I have a friend who is Bi Polar and I couldn't imagine dating her. It can be exhausting. I am sure some cases are more severe than others but she is very moody and her feelings get hurt easily if that is an early indication that might help you.
 Verde100
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/31/2012 9:55:36 AM
I had a friend who was bi-polar. The effect on his life was devastating. When he's off his medication, he's quick to anger(like explosive - like wreck the car anger) - then when he's down, he's suicidal. I used all of this in the present tense, but unfortunately, he passed away about six years ago with a brain tumor. I loved him but it was so hard to be around him. At one point, I asked him to remove himself from my life. I simply didn't have the coping skills required to help him. I finally realized it wasn't my place to rescue him, I couldn't help him with his financial problems(only family would hire him due to his violent temper), I couldn't restore his marriage for him(his wife cheated on him with his best friend behind his back, she also embezzled money from her employer and had served jail time for this). It just went on and on, I felt overwhelmed, deeply saddened that I couldn't help him.
 GeekyCrazyButCool
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/31/2012 10:46:09 AM
First I must start by saying It's not their fault and with meds not as bad....But seriously I gave so much in that relationship....it was like i was thinking for two people at times Also dealing with the paranoid thoughts and delusions was interesting !!! Here is one of MANY examples.. We are alone in her apartment, been there for hours, the door has been locked, she suddenly asked me "was there someone else just here sitting beside us?" !?!?!
I say no.....She then says "okay thanks but I just want to make sure" gets up checks every room and closet and under the sink and the balcony!!! (15 floors up I should) and makes sure that door is locked. Then sits back down and says "sorry sometimes I can't tell whats real and whats not" :( don't let get started infidelity issues....thats a whole other sad story......JUST RUN AWAY!!!
 glk2310
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/31/2012 11:51:02 AM
Bi-polar can be controlled with proper meds and treatment.I dated a woman whom I found out had more issues than you can imagine(borderline personality,trust issues,mood swings from hell,etc.)It was like seeing two people at once but never knowing if was going to be the loving one or the one telling me I was loser.I know it stings but you have to realize these are her issues not yours.You tried ,move one.There is someone out there for all of us.Dont make the mistake I did and try to keep making it work,you will only end up miserable.Meeting some very nice women on here so keep lookin.Best of luck to you
 hotrodius
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/31/2012 7:10:58 PM
You are 100 percent correct. It still is a very sad state of affairs. I am sick over it. But i know in my heart i tried i really tried.
 butterfly122275
Msg: 123
Posted: 1/1/2013 5:41:42 PM
wow some people are so uneducated but really have a lot to say. I know several people with bipolar and bpd and if treated properly usually they are fine for the most part. They are not flakes! They are not crazy it is a very serious and intense disease. They are not always as bad as some are stating in this forum. If you only knew (if ppl were honest) how many ppl have this disorder or some sort of depression or anxiety issues look it up you will be shocked at the percentage of the us population that has some sort of "mental disorder" the disorder itself I find quite intriguing but anyways Please dont put all ppl with this disorder in one category just get to know them and then make a decision based on FACTS vs sterotypes
 yesireallycan
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/1/2013 5:48:07 PM
as soon as you get clued in, that is the best time to make your final exit
 dolphinsea123
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/1/2013 6:03:01 PM
My anecdotal addition is that a bipolar person gets worse under stress..so keeping it simple is an important tool. Helping a person get off a tangent is also good. Blowing people off and isolating isn't what a person whom is here for a relationship really desires. However, since you can't also sacrifice your own time..choosing whom to connect deeply with is an important decision.
 OutMind
Msg: 126
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:31:03 PM

just get to know them and then make a decision based on FACTS vs sterotypes

Just the facts. I lived with one for close to five years. What you hear here are not stereotypes but behaviors that are classic of the disorder. There are bipolars that do manage their condition well, but most of the ones that I have known, known about, were hell to live with. One thing is to have them as a friend, and another is to live the day in and day out stresses of life with them. Until you walk on those shoes, you don't exactly know what you're talking about.
 hotrodius
Msg: 127
Posted: 1/2/2013 1:35:04 PM
Well said . I agree staying friends can be fine. I am broken over this.
 moonchildMN
Msg: 128
Posted: 2/8/2013 1:19:30 PM
Oh this is gonna get good! Getting my popcorn....
 hotcabana
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/8/2013 1:40:39 PM
Uhhhhh... what's the name on this movie again???? I bet this is an Oscar nomination !!!
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 130
Posted: 2/8/2013 1:48:44 PM

I am looking for anyone who has dated a woman [or man] who can offer some advice.

The woman told me three days ago she was bi-polar. Today she has called off the dating. It stings a bit but I'm okay. I still like her and wish her well. In the future I'd prefer to date a woman who does not have this kind of mental health issue.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the behaviours that might give early indications of this issue.

Dude, I consider myself an expert in this field. And I'll prove it. Since 2010... I've dated 4 women all with a common bond. That common bond.... bipolar disorder. In fact, let me add the fact that the those 4 women, are the last 4 women I've dated - consecutively - with that disorder.

I'll tell you this much about that. They're easily misunderstood.. but, they're overemotional. They are the types of women who will attempt to bring you down about ANYTHING positive in your life. They are the type of person who thrives on misery. You might think that you can reverse a bipolar woman's frame of thinking. Believe me on this... the Detroit Lions have a better chance at winning the Super Bowl, as opposed to a bipolar woman being "normal".

These types of women desperately want love, affection, romance, and most importantly... sex! They crave sex more han they crave drama. They are the type of person who creates drama! The ONLY reason why they create drama... is to feel better about themselves and their own complexed situation. Little do they know that their own complexed situation was created by their own insecurities. As a matter of fact... they are the type of woman who NEVER trusts, but trusts their own creation of truth in their complexed minds.

If you ask me... I'm at the point where I believe bipolar disorder ONLY exists in women. I have yet to meet a man with this disorder. There is no future with a bipolar woman. However... if you're a sex addict... then a bipolar woman might be ideal for you. Bipolar women crave sex 100x more than the average AND experienced hooker!

You wanted advice from someone who's "been there, done that" with bipolar women. In 3 years I've dated 4.

P.S. If you're looking for a commitment from them.. you'll never get it. Bipolar women fear commitment. Cheating on their behalf is guaranteed up to 96%!
 hotcabana
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/8/2013 1:57:10 PM
Yes... it happen sometimes , and its pretty sad how human been goes to the point where some of us can't handle anymore life issues !!! Bipolar disorder is a condition in which people go back and forth between periods of a very good or irritable mood and depression. The "mood swings" between mania and depression can be very quick.

I remember back in 88 at my last year at the university (Cuba) we were doing a research for a year thesis and one of the ladies (patients) jumped from the second floor balcony at the hospital, . cause she realized that her husband was gonna file a divorce !!!
 moonchildMN
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/8/2013 1:57:42 PM
G-rock is why women do background checks. OMG....

You go on and on about what a victim you are yet you continue to attact and become invovled with women who are bi-polar??? Where's the face palm icon when I need one?
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 133
Posted: 2/8/2013 2:42:53 PM
Hey... this is just the last couple of years. If someone can prove me wrong on my thoery of bipolar disorder... then I'll shut-up permanently. Have you ver dated a MAN who was bipolar moonchildmn?
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 134
Posted: 2/8/2013 2:46:17 PM

Hotrodius----You don't know what love is. You never tried to make anything better----I asked you to make the appointment with a therapist for couples counseling and you didn't do it. And you have the audacity to project yourself as a loving, caring person? You told me you loved me, kissed me and then locked me out of the house 20 minutes later, dumped me and refuse to even speak to me. You gave me no explanation whatsoever why you broke our 2 year engagement. You don't know what sticking by someone means. You make it sound like you broke up with me gently----you were screaming and yelling at me like some sort of animal. And, after everything I did for you. You are about to lose your home because you're broke, you don't have a job, and I offered to pay your bills until you get back on your feet. I didn't alienate you, abandon you and betray you.

But you did that to me.

Did you make things easy for him WITHOUT complication? I doubt it... women LOVE making love and realtionships difficult for ALL men.. solely based on past experiences! What did a man do to you to make you put him through hell that he's not guilty of?
 OutMind
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/8/2013 2:56:18 PM

A real man doesn't treat the woman that they professed to love the way you treated me. But yet you still won't return my iPhone, flat screen TV, video camera, the $500 backpack leaf blower I bought, XBox or BlueRay player. That's about all I was good for.

Time to get the pop-corn.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 3:01:24 PM
and somewhere between them lies the truth...........lesson for today, don't check her legs, check the eyes, yikes!
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:54:05 AM

By the way, you owe me $100,000, and I want my iPhone, TV, XBox, video camera, BlueRay player and everything else in your house that I purchased back. Perhaps returning things that aren't yours will increase your self worth.

Get yourself a lawyer and sue him. You have every right to. I did that to a woman that did that to me. And now... let's just say karma bit her in ass. And now... she's just like the guys she's used to... in jail!
 GC_Hayez
Msg: 138
Posted: 2/10/2013 9:58:44 AM

I have a friend who is Bi Polar and I couldn't imagine dating her. It can be exhausting. I am sure some cases are more severe than others but she is very moody and her feelings get hurt easily if that is an early indication that might help you.

You're absolutely right churumbeque... the 4 Bo-polar women I dated... same thing. Constantly moody; thrieving on misery; feelings always easily hurt (They would each get pissed at me sometimes for saying "hi" to them). Just out of curiosity (and this also goes out to the OP)... is friend only happy when other's are miserable?
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 139
Posted: 2/10/2013 11:53:27 AM

Bipolar sufferers are as varied as people who do not suffer from the condition, so it doesnt really matter for me.

That's true. Those who are high-functioning to begin with, and medication-compliant, can have healthy romantic involvements and successful marriages.

Unfortunately, that's a pretty small sub-set... but sufferers are most definitely not all alike.
 flhrwnaride
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 8:08:03 PM
beleive me i know what your talking about and time doesn't make it any better.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >