Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mtser1
Msg: 141
Can Anyone Relate to Dating a Woman who is Bi-Polar?Page 8 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Put on Your best tennis shoes and Run as fast as you can....
and never look back or you will turn to SALT...
 flhrwnaride
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Can Anyone Relate to Dating a Woman who is Bi-Polar?
Posted: 2/21/2013 8:12:06 PM
exactly just when you think everything is going great, then it happens and you just stand there listening to what she has decided to is a reason to be hateful and shutdown for 3 or 4 days.
 GuitarHero68
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:47:13 PM
Dating someone who is bipolar is like watching a video clip on AFV - you KNOW it's going to end badly. Walk away and find someone stable.
 annywn
Msg: 144
Posted: 5/16/2013 10:02:34 PM
Er, is there really any other kind of woman?

LOL jk, i crack myself up~
 DragonBits
Msg: 145
Posted: 5/17/2013 6:12:05 AM
When I determine someone is a little crazy, I don't stick around to find out what brand of crazy they are.

So no idea.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 146
Posted: 5/17/2013 11:58:25 PM
Sorry if I offend all you bi-polars out there, but, OP, run in the opposite direction as soon as possible, that is unless you "enjoy" making your life a living hell.
 Maleman999
Msg: 147
Posted: 5/23/2013 7:58:50 PM
It would depend on which part is negative and which part is positive.
 OutMind
Msg: 148
Posted: 5/24/2013 1:33:43 PM

A ton misinformation, and stereotyping galore on this thread. Heck even mental health professionals have a hard time diagnosing Bi-polar disorder. A number of other factors can play apart in it. Like one of my good friends from High school was diagnosed as being bi-polar. Course she had been raped not to long before the therapist made this decision to put her on meds. She is still married after 18 years and has a well adjusted 16 year old son.

I gather you are bipolar. And you feel that it's all crap. Yet many of the stories are true. I dated a bipolar for 4.5 years. Every cliche turned to be fact. My therapist simply called classic bipolar. Before that I dated a woman that was a widow. Her husband was a bipolar. He took his life.

Not all bipolars are the same. They vary from slow incidents of depression and manic episodes, with maybe 5 episodes a year, to what it called rapid cycle bypolars, which can switch in a dime and go from one to the other even 5 times in a week. Add to that, as you say, other traumas in life and the equation varies even more. My ex was also ADD had PTSD from her ex husband trying to kill her, and went through breast cancer.
 jrich01963
Msg: 149
Posted: 5/25/2013 6:45:47 PM
I was in a very long term relationship with someone who was later diagnosed as bi-polar. She was prescribed meds that seemed like they helped but she stopped taking them for whatever reason. It was a damaging relationship that I should have gotten out of sooner. But the relationship was so up and down it was hard to see the trees from the forest. It took a long time to get rid of that emotional baggage. Friends were always trying to set me up with somebody else. But I just needed time to be ok with myself before I was in a new relationship.
 OutMind
Msg: 150
Posted: 5/27/2013 6:42:25 AM

So when the custody eval came in, and the evaluator was bird dogging one of her friends to eval my mental health, when I was already seeing someone with far more education and experience. Lets just say that custody eval's credibility was really shot to hell in front of the judge.

So when someone tells me they are Bi-Polar, well my first question is who diagnosed you as such. Just like car repair or anything else there are good at what they do, and not so much good at what they do.

Dude,

You're doing the very thing that you are condemning. I am sorry about your ex. I am sorry that the courts tried to pin it on you. Particularly by non professionals. There are some classic symptoms of bipolar. Most are first detected by a therapist who then directs the patient to a psychiatrist. In the case of my ex, her psychiatrist told her that she needed to wait until she had done the chemotherapy in order to start the evaluation. What others have described are indeed more in common with Borderline Personality Disorder. What makes bipolar specific, is that you go from Manic moments to severe depression. People in the manic moments are extremely sexual, or artistic, or can do a task with absolute hyper focus. It is also at when they are getting to the end of the Manic episode that they become extremely irritable and pick the fights. When they switch to depression, everything is gone. They have no energy, they can sleep for 3 days without ever getting out of bed. They become suicidal.

Sorry about what happened to you and your wife. I can tell you what you should have done, but only you can live your life and at least you know for you that you gave it a shot.
 Anonymous..1
Msg: 151
Posted: 5/27/2013 8:39:53 PM
Bi-polar, people throw this term around a lot. There are several types of bi-polar diagnosis . They are not all the same. And the person's basic personality must be accounted for. We all have issues without a mental disorder, so you have to learn and understand you can't judge every person the same nor use the term bi-polar for every issue. BAD behavior, anger issues, drug use, etc. also comes into play.
Also a bi-polar person could have other mental health issues along with it, such as paranoia tendencies, and other serious mental health issues adding to the problem
So to summarize, Bi-Polar should not be used and thrown around to encompass all behaviors. It is difficult and only a doctor with a lot of education can determine what kind the person has and if it is truly bi=polar or could be from stress, PTSD, depression, many things that cause the ups and downs.
It is a terrible thing to label someone without being educated on the subject.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 152
Posted: 5/28/2013 12:44:10 PM

So to summarize, Bi-Polar should not be used and thrown around to encompass all behaviors. It is difficult and only a doctor with a lot of education can determine what kind the person has and if it is truly bi=polar or could be from stress, PTSD, depression, many things that cause the ups and downs.

Yeah, but basically -- call it borderline, call it bi-polar, call it wack -- with enough dating experience, you don't want to deal with that. Yes, others have those problems, undiagnosed. Yes, those who are diagnosed and announce it are putting themselves in a less marketable position, but are doing the right thing.

Just like someone who still has emotional problems about their ex who lives with them, being separated, is going to be putting themselves in a less marketable position than someone who hides it (or hasn't come to grips with the fact that they Are still wrought with emotions about the ex).

Statistically speaking, you're walking down a higher probability of emotional problems when they're a blind pick like online or meeting a stranger at a bar/event -- some more than others. But when you don't otherwise know them or very little at all -- you don't have an obligation to. Just like you can't blame someone for stepping away from someone who isn't over their ex... or still living with their soon-to-be-ex while separated... or has an eating disorder. One isn't obliged to take more (against-odds) "chances" with someone who's got some real issues.
 platypus_man
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2013 1:48:32 PM
What's the big deal? Bipolar is a medical condition, which can be controlled with medications, just like you can control high blood pressure. Besides, nobody's really 'normal'. Everyone has some sort of issue, we just like to downplay it and call it 'baggage'. I've known a few people who are bipolar, and they're fine as long as they take their medication. It wouldn't stop me from dating them.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2013 7:31:02 PM
Where to start...

My Dad was bipolar, an alcoholic, and spent a large part of his last years in various institutions. He commited suicide at 52.

My Mom was undiagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder, and alcoholic- diagnosed and treated.

Me bipolar NOS ,Borderline PD, PTSD, anxiety disorders, chronic depression- status: recovering.

I haven't read much, but most of what I have read resembles BPD rather than BD (bipolar)

Outminds's last post describes bipolar well. Bipolar depression is devastating depression. Go to bed and stay there except for bathroom breaks, an da drink or a toastetomato sandwich depression......for days....

Mania is creative, focus .Indestructible-nothing can hurt us

There is an angle of delusio n, where we truly believe that we can achieve whatever we have planned, andthe focus, concentration and saom additional strength are in place to back the delusions up.
Sorry about the typing, my I'm using a phone

Theseepisodes, for the most part last for days, possibly weeks. Rapid cycling is shorter, but if the affected person is having severe mood swings.....from melancholy, to passionate (about anything, not just sex) they are more likely to be BPD or a combination, rather than uncomplicated bipolar.dand very brave....indestructible think Charlie Sheen....he really believed what he said.
There's delusio
 MsMaggieMay
Msg: 155
Posted: 6/4/2013 8:55:14 AM
Why don't we just throw all imperfect people into a box so that all you perfect people don't have to be bothered by us? Maybe all the lepers of the dating world can find another leper in the throw away box?
 lowmiles2
Msg: 156
Posted: 6/5/2013 10:53:15 AM
I recently left a relationship with a mature woman who I believe to have some sort of personality disorder. She never admitted it was bi-polar and has never been diagnosed as such. Maybe it is because she hasn't any health insurance to pay the tab.

I never knew who I was going to meet when I went to pick her up for a dinner date. That lovely sweet fun girl or the one who looked like she could rip your head off if you said one wrong word. I knew she was on depression drugs. Took a chill pill and would sleep for hours. I tired of trying to prop her up. Little or no self esteem thinks she needs a man in her life to survive etc...

For those that can deal with the problem "God Bless You" but don't bash those that can't. How many times do we have to boost their egos ? Now I know why most women put in their profile. "Must have a sense of humor"
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 157
Posted: 6/5/2013 3:07:20 PM
I didn't read all the pages on here. But the only thing that comes to mind is why date or get involved with anyone that has mental problems in the extream?? Call it what ever you want to call it. Be it Bi-Polar or something else. For me I'm not looking for drama in my life, Or someone Where I have to walk on egg shalls so they won't go ape on me up a wall.
If someone likes to keep the house extra clean and worry about it more then average its one thing. Someone who need to wear gloves or wash there hands every 10 min cause they are afraid of germs are just too much for me.
If they are a LITTLE to the right or the left of normal. Most people can deal with it. If they make a sharp right/left turn a way from normal I would run away as fast as my legs would take me. It sucks to be the one who has a problem I understand that and we all want to be excepted for who and what we are.
For the ones who do have a choice we want the best choice we can for our selves. Dating someone who is not normal is not what most of us want.
If they need medication to function day to day they have a problem that I don't want or need to deal with no matter what is the disorder. Am I harsh? Yes I'm, Its my life and I do what is the best thing for ME.
 L,A, Woman
Msg: 158
Posted: 6/5/2013 3:51:09 PM
There are a huge number of people that have some sort of mental illness and they all seem to get painted with the same brush. I find it is a shame when it is not managed with the correct medicine but when someone is you would not know they were the same person. I think everyone deserves a chance and so everyone has their quirks and illnesses. What is worse, having someone complaining about this pain all the time, they take a pill and move forward, we do not judge them for this. There are many overweight people that are not as healthy as some mentally ill. There are people addicted to pain killers but because it is accepted as it came from a doc. we cut them some slack. What about all the men and women addicted to booze. Again another not exactly desireable problem to have but hey they can't help it right? Think before you speak there are many successful people out there working in professional jobs that have mental illness. It is not a disease just a condition that needs to be managed. Try not to be so judgemental and maybe you could move forward with someone like this. Help them to get the help they need. We need to take the stigma off these disorders and offer a positive support system to our friends!
 Quazi 100
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2013 12:39:40 PM
I am managed all the time, and don't mess with my meds.....not worth it!

Alcoholism is a product of having issues. People drown their sorrows to excess to drown their sorrows.

Since both parents were alcoholics, I don't drink....or do street drugs. I have enough problems.....
 Quazi 100
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2013 6:04:11 PM
I was told at an early age, around 18... that because both parents were alcoholics that statistically my chances of becoming an alcoholic were about 80%.

There were alcoholics on both sides of my family besides my parents.

I love everything about alcohol....too much.

Abusing alcohol is self medicating just like any other self medicating.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2013 8:10:58 AM
Hi JJ

I might add to this if I think of more....

I love the taste of alcohol. My Mom did too. Coca cola tastes funny without Rum mixed in.

When I'm manic, alcohol has little effect on me. For the most part, I don't get drunk..

Mania is like a football stadium with all the lights blazing

BPD is a bit different. Drinking when melancholy is bad news, and can be dangerous

Drinking while dysphoric , kind of cures dysphoria. This is the biggest attraction for me.Alcohol works better tan any prescription medication made.

My definition of dysphoria isfeeling like a three year old lost in a shopping mall....crying for his/her Mother.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2013 8:42:09 AM
Continuing.....

Full blown mania isn't necessarily pleasant.

I become severely irritated when full on manic. I'm running the planet and people can't keep up.

Hypo mania is more manageable...it takes less of a toll on finances, the body and the crash isn't as devestating.

BP to me, is a big "I don't care", whether manic or depressed.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2013 3:47:33 PM
I'll bite.....

I have a couple of questions.....what does it feel like when you're depressed....darkness, melancholy, you don't care...?

How do you feel when manic.....invincible, passionate, strong?

I am bipolar too.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2013 1:01:09 PM
Great!

When you become manic, do you feel stronger physically.....and like nothing can hurt you...physicLly?

You say the mania's are becoming less frequent.....how about the depressions?

Do the manias happen after long periods of loneliness?
 Quazi 100
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2013 5:24:51 PM
I have to admit, I haven't been told that I should be on an island in a while.....

Contrary to popular belief, my vocation as a child was not to be mentally ill as an adult. It isn't a choice, and I don'tpurposely drive people around the bend. By the way, I drive myself around the bend too.

I've spent the last 7 years of my life trying to unlearn much of what I was taught as a child.

Being mentally ill is no fun for me either.....trust me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >