Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > humor  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 really1972
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Names for CarsPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've had roughly a 117 cars since I started driving 19 years ago. 75% of them were inop
P.O.S. that fell under the category I'm going to restore someday. The few that fondly stand out in no particular order...

1986 Chevy pick up- 250,000 miles+ The bed fell off on the parkway at two thirty in the morning.

1979 Dodge pick up - 440,000+ miles , Named Babe after Paul Bunyan's big blue ox. Sold the truck still running.

1976 Chevy Nova - my first car 350/350 combo, I totaled it when a chili dog slipped into my lap while driving.

1979 Camaro Z28 - 59,000 original miles one owner b4 me, my brother totaled it because he didn't want to take his Triumph TR7 out in the snow so he took my 400 horsepower Z instead.

1986 Dodge Omni- I bought it for $ 100 , the guy said it wouldn't make it the 50 miles home, drove it for three years with nothing but reg maintenance.

1980 Jeep grand wagoneer - Called the priest because of all the rust holes. (holey get it?) totaled while parked by a fire truck. Fire dept denies responsibility whole truck covered in red paint and gold leaf. The impact turned a four door truck into a two door truck.

1974 Plymouth Duster - named the Snot Rocket after its booger green paint, 11 sec quarter mile times. First and last car I've owned that lifted the front tires on a hard launch.

There are many more stories but I'm going to bed.
Special mention...
1978 Chevy Chevette two door four speed, I currently own this car. I was going to turn it into a race car but, I drove it for a month and it got 42 miles to the gallon. 31 years old and returns this type of mileage consistently. No computers, Almost no electronics, and it passed NJ emissions. Wake the Phuck Up Detroit.
 Mozard
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 6/27/2009 7:50:13 PM
I don't name my cars any more but after 300 how the hell would I remember the names of them any ways ... Although there are a couple of exceptions ...

Had a new 2005 mustang GT that was yellow and with black interior named "the bumblebee" (befor transformers although I might have subconciously remembered the cartoon from long ago.)

Had a new 2003 F250 4door v-10 4x4 named "The Blue Mule" and yes I did for sure steal this name from an old movie but after 20 years its public domain anyways heheheh

Currently have a 78 Thunderbird that I have pretty much gone through bolt for bolt and I cal it "OldBlue"

and also currently have a over built F250 4x4 mudbogger that I had planned to name but just haven't gotten around to it.

If any of you car guys from Australia read this I'm lookin for a Aussy built 74 Falcon XB GT .. but what car guy inst ????

later!!
 YoungnCourious
Msg: 7
Names for Cars
Posted: 6/28/2009 11:57:21 AM
Very Intersting If you I do say myself!
 Mozard
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 6/29/2009 9:10:24 AM
Hey average guy .. you'd be suprised how good of a car you can get from a junkyard. I bouhgt a mazda b4000 5 speed off a junkyard for $500 a few years ago and after I put a couple hours into getting it right ( If I recall correctly it needed a MAP sensor and the exhaust was rusting off) but after I put new exhaust and fixed that sensor I got almost 20 mpg and it would lay rubber in 3rd gear... same junkyard I bought a 1990 lincoln town car that needed a starter ( and they gave me the starter I just had to put it on) $400 and it got almost 20 mpg going out to Denver in a snow storm, my sister still drives it but we're gonna have to put a tranny in it .. not bad considering she's put almost 50k miles on it and we can put a transmission in it for $100 ... Hey junkart me and you should trade stories .. I love the aussie cars and would love to learn more about them. ... anyways I'm gonna stop here cause I could talk cars ALL day ...
 really1972
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 6/29/2009 12:11:37 PM
I couldn't agree with you more Mozard. I've bought half the cars in my life from either a junkyard or off the back of a flatbed on the way. It amazes me what people would junk a car for. I've bought cars off people with a "blown" motor that turned out to be nothing but a starter and battery. With one or two exceptions I've never paid more than six hundred for a car. A little elbow grease and I usually squeeze 20 or 30 thousand miles more out of them. I then sell them for twice what I got into them when something else catches my eye.
I've got a car buying rule. Its the hundred dollar a month rule. If I pay $5oo I want to get five months out of it. Anything extra is gravy.
If you guys start that car thread count me in. Something productive should come out of this site.
R.R.72
 Mozard
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 6/29/2009 2:10:01 PM
hmm we should start a thread for us guys to show off and brag about our projects ... see if there really are any gear head women on here ... where should we put it?? .. ..
 really1972
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 6/29/2009 3:34:24 PM
We would need to stick it in off topic I'm guessing athough in my case broken hearts may be more accurate.
 treetopdaddy
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 6/30/2009 9:52:01 AM
Had a company car once, a 1970's-something Ford Granada ("Granola") that I called The White Wh0re". I now have an '06 Harley that I call "Harley Davidson" - there can be no other name for it. It makes the sound of testosterone.
 austwadd22
Msg: 36
Names for Cars
Posted: 7/13/2009 7:55:19 PM
I had a name for my car, then I decided to rename it. The new name is DEER TICK. I call it this because I've hit 3 with this car and had about 15 close calls. that or i could call it, deer magnet, little buck hunter (cus the car is small not the buck), the deerinator, or D.A.R.E (deer are really evil, or deer attract red eclipses).
 jadegreen
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 7/21/2009 3:21:31 PM
My brother had a ford truck in high school that he called "The Muley"...lol...everyone in school kinda knew it by that name too...It was just one of the old light weight ford trucks of the 80's that wasn't really anything special, but was my brothers first vehicle...I would borow it occassionally b/c I didn't have ride of my own when I reached driving age...Anyway "The Muley" was rode long and hard and he finally put it to rest after many years, but I will never forget the time I was driving on gravel road in his truck and hit the gas too hard and the back end was so light weight it started sliding around on me...gave me quite a scare, but everyone was safe...lol...I may have been 17 when that happened...
 watsizname
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 7/21/2009 5:59:05 PM
I don't name my cars. If you name something, you get attached to it. They're just a ride from point A to point B to me.

Dad gave me a '54 Chevy pickup to drive to school when I was a senior. (1960-1961)

My first purchase was a '63 Corvair Spyder. I used it to pull a U-Haul to Manhattan, Kansas where I lived while stationed at Ft. Riley. I traded it in on a new 1965 Corvair Corsa (turbo, not four carb). I bought the new car and drove it home. On-street parking (we were living in a basement apartment in Manhattan) so no garage. It rained so hard overnight that the street outside flooded. When I opened the door on my new car to go to Ft Riley the next morning, water ran out. The dealer was nice enough to clean and dry it out for me. Trumped almost anything of that time on red-light to red-light. I never got attached to it because I didn't name it but I did get something in my eye when the guy loaded it onto the trailer last year to take it to the big crusher.

Bought a used Pontiac Safari (s/w) that had a bad engine. Bought a s-i-m-i-l-a-r engine at a junkyard that was in an Oldsmobile sedan. I had to file a notch in a web on a casting to make the fanbelt fit. It ran fine but kept breaking torque converters. I never figured out why. Third time I gave up and parked it.

Bought a used ElCamino because I thought it was sexier than just a pickup. It didn't help - girls still ignored me. The one who didn't ignore me was a nut-case that caused me grief for years.

I confess I did name my Granada. I called it the grenade because I expected it to explode at any moment. It lasted until I sold it a couple of years later.

After the Granada I needed sexy again (mid-life) so I bought a Triumph TR-7. The thing that convinced me to do it was when the salesman told me I'd need to carry a stick in the car with me to beat the girls off. Last time I saw it the unused stick was still behind the passenger seat.

By this time pickups had become 'the thing'. I bought a Ford Courier (Mazda). I didn't know they meant REAL pickups. It wouldn't break. Would go 80mph all day without complaining. I took the bench seat out and put Nissan bucket seats in it for comfort. A 200-watt Sony amp under the passenger seat drove the thumper box that filled all space behind the seats. The dual-coil sub-woofer faced front right in the middle between the seats.

Got married again so I needed a married car. Oldsmobile Cutlass sedan with V-6. The new wife ran over 'something' in the road and creased the rear wheel-well/fender. She then drove it until it stalled from overheating. Got a divorce. New girlfriend totaled it when she ran it into the back of another vehicle when the waiting line at a railroad crossing restarted. Got a new girlfriend.

Nissan Pulsar NX took me to Florida to visit with the recent ex-wife and her new family. Great little sporty car that had a lot going for it. I gave it to a friend who still has it.

I got tired of my tools getting wet in the back of the Courier so I bought a used-up 1989 Dodge Caravan. I stripped the seats out and made a decent work van out of it. After a couple of years I upgraded to a used 1990 Grand Caravan that did a great job until the AutoZone radaitor drain plug fell out (no threads) and caused it to overheat and stall within a mile of where it happened before I even realized it had happened. Karma for divorcing the wife over the Oldsmobile. I bought an Advanced Auto Parts radiator and changed the oil but it only lasted a couple of days before the clatter started.

About the time I bought the 1990 model, I saw a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible with the X engine. 3.4L DOHC. I wanted it so I bought it too. I've got a stick behind the passenger seat just in case. (girls be warned)

Recently got a 2001 Dodge Caravan Sport to replace the dead 1990 model. With the sliding doors on each side it's easier to work from than the 89 or 90. The remote entry fob that everyone else has had for years makes life a little easier too.
 jojoaus
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 4/18/2011 12:29:10 AM
I remember learning to drive in dad's Ford Capri... the Yellow Peril he called it, and yup. twas yellow. Some time before that he had a Rover... dark green with beige leather seats (the smell of them made me car sick ). The plates were VPJ then some numbers, and he called it the Very Posh Jalopy. I recall the plates to the Capri too now I think about it... PDL 888M. Why do we remember useless stuff like that??
The first car I owned was Matilda the Mustard Mini... I drove it to Cornwall for my honeymoon and the chrome edging kept flying off if we went over 50!!! Was a loooooooooong trip in the end.
My recent cars have been unremarkable, though my good 'ol Excel kept on keeping on for 12 years, and my daughter drove it for a year too. Only ever needed a new radiator and a new timing belt in all those years.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 4/18/2011 11:52:58 PM
when it was time to buy my first car, I looked it up in "Consumer Reports" ... and they said that the very best buy at that time was a 1963 Buick Special ... so we drove to a Santa Monica Buick dealer and I asked the salesman if he had a Buick Special ... he said, "sure" ... I said, "where?" he said, "there," waving vaguely in the direction of all the cars ... I said, "specifically WHERE?" he looked annoyed and said, "that red one and that yellow one" ... I said, "oh, I don't like red cars, so I'll take the yellow one, thank you." he said, "don't you want to drive it? don't you want to know how much it costs?" I said, "you're a reputable Buick dealer, aren't you? wouldn't it run fine if you're selling it to me? you're not going to cheat me, are you?"

sigh. to be young and stupid ... LOVED that yellow Buick ... had lots of fine adventures in that car ... never named it though ...

my daughter and I named her 1968 maroon Mustang ... Myrtle ... Moaning Myrtle, to be exact ... Myrtle's favorite mode of transportation was on the back of a tow truck ... Myrtle's been doing better lately ...

I still drive a 1977 blue gray Chevy truck ... he's named Buck Truck ... he's macho ... he's a REAL truck ... a relative has a wimpy Toyota truck ... we've named him Red Toy Truck ...

thank God I so amuse myself ...
 raxarsr
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Names for Cars
Posted: 4/19/2011 11:17:27 PM
had a buddy who's grandmother bought him a brand new yugo the year they came out..........he called it "constipated " because it couldnt pass a thing

though.he did drive it 103 miles daily back and forth to work for 6 yrs...averaged 40+ mpg
Show ALL Forums  > humor  >