Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Have you ever asked out a guy? How often do you do that?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Want_You_2010
Msg: 96
Have you ever asked out a guy? How often do you do that?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I dunno, I find that more American women give me the time of day than Canadian women. And I do not act any different towards the two. It is nice to not be told to **** off when I strike up a conversation with a woman. Here in Toronto, forget it, unless you look good enough to them, that is what they will say.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 97
Have you ever asked out a guy? How often do you do that?
Posted: 11/24/2010 4:07:18 AM

What do you do, I wonder if you want to date someone, and many of the women you see are rat bait? If you're going to insult men, better be ready for the return shot. Some of us men don't think much of some of you women, either.

Wow, that almost sounded like you took it personally - but since you had nothing to do with it as I didn't address you, I don't know how that can be.

Hey I'm the first one to ask a guy how often he gets out of the house and how hard he looked if he tells me I'm one of the better looking ones in a place - I don't have an inflated sense of myself, and I know most guys who hit on me do it because I'm female and breathing (and some might still hit on me if I wasn't breathing, but that's another thread) so there is no return shot in my case. I NEVER think it's about me, as opposed to most people. Not all people are supposed to have attraction to you nor you everyone you see - that's life.

A friend and I were out of town for the holidays and hit a gym. We were weighing ourselves which is sort of an obsession, but I digress. A couple men walked up and asked us why we needed to weigh ourselves as we were more than thin enough not to worry. She swooned and told them she was thrilled they said it, I kind rolled my eyes and thought it was an easy line and that she was a bit gullible - telling a woman in a gym on a scale she's thin? Too easy. So, to each their own.

Perhaps some women fall for the stuff men dish out in social situations and believe it - I agree that in their cases it'd be more of a shock. Guys have it a little easier though, as they don't get approached as much by women they consider to be filler, or not their type, or whatever. The advantage to being the one approaching is you tend to deal more with what you want, rather than having to work with what comes to you. So, if you want better quality, pick it yourself - that was mostly my point.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/24/2010 4:26:53 AM

A friend and I were out of town for the holidays and hit a gym. We were weighing ourselves which is sort of an obsession, but I digress. A couple men walked up and asked us why we needed to weigh ourselves as we were more than thin enough not to worry. She swooned and told them she was thrilled they said it, I kind rolled my eyes and thought it was an easy line and that she was a bit gullible - telling a woman in a gym on a scale she's thin? Too easy. So, to each their own.
I agree!
A much better line would have been; "Don't worry! You'll get there! Look me up in a few weeks!"
 Want_You_2010
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/24/2010 9:22:16 AM

Perhaps some women fall for the stuff men dish out in social situations and believe it - I agree that in their cases it'd be more of a shock. Guys have it a little easier though, as they don't get approached as much by women they consider to be filler, or not their type, or whatever. The advantage to being the one approaching is you tend to deal more with what you want, rather than having to work with what comes to you. So, if you want better quality, pick it yourself - that was mostly my point.

WIP, you make an interesting point here. BUT women will most times fall for the stuff men dish out IF they are physically attracted to the guy who approached them. See this is where it becomes a grey area. If a guy like myself approaches a woman like yourself, not you specifically here, but someone very good looking and I complemented you on your great smile, your hair, etc I would get the once over, dirty look and that would end it. BUT if it were a guy who was a really good looking guy, well then the results would be the opposite.
See you are right that most men do not get approached. And although I wish it would change I doubt in my lifetime it will, I am going to have to still do the approaching. BUT being 41 I now know what women are unattainable/unapproachable than 10 years ago. And women mostly want the hot, really good looking guys to approach them, BUT never admit to it. Women work with what comes to them by looking the guys over and finding something negative more than positive in them. Like I say, I may not be much to take a glance at, but given the chance, you will enjoy my company and very much like the person I am. BUT in today's world, substance is further down the list of attraction.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/24/2010 10:07:53 AM

I agree!
A much better line would have been; "Don't worry! You'll get there! Look me up in a few weeks!

To me sometimes no line is better than a cheesy one, but for some reason a lot of men feel they have to speak.

WIP you know I've been one of your longtime fans, but on this one point I will *gasp* disagree with you.

I get approached by women fairly often, especially since ages 26-31 where I made some great gains on the physique; when I put on my dancing shoes, I am rarely lacking a volunteer lady partner. Girls buy me drinks, girls will slip me their number without even asking for it, and some outright pounce and molest me.

Well, for you it may be more of a challenge. I do realize that decent, in shape men do get approached more. Which is why I said "not as much" instead of "never".

However despite all that seemingly "good fortune", I've considered PLENTY of them to be "filler" or "not my type" (smokers, plumpers, airheads, racially-ignorant, etc.). About 20% actually turn out to be both personable and have the trendy body-type that most guys drool over, and for those I am indeed delighted when they approach.

It seems to be about 80/20 depending on what side you're on, so that makes sense. If you get approached, you may like 20%. If you are approaching, 20% may like you.

So I still do the bulk of the approaching, just to ensure I'm dealing with the physical quality I truly desire, but wholeheartedly admire ANY woman that musters the courage to approach - even when they're not my type, they'll get a warm smile, a compliment, and a polite declination.

I don't know about the compliment, but I am polite as well generally when approached. I'm just direct...but I deliver it with a smile.

WIP, you make an interesting point here. BUT women will most times fall for the stuff men dish out IF they are physically attracted to the guy who approached them. See this is where it becomes a grey area. If a guy like myself approaches a woman like yourself, not you specifically here, but someone very good looking and I complemented you on your great smile, your hair, etc I would get the once over, dirty look and that would end it. BUT if it were a guy who was a really good looking guy, well then the results would be the opposite.

Maybe that's true - I don't know. I don't think any guy really means what they say even if I am attracted in fact, the more I think a guy's cute the more suspicious I am, but I'm pretty much an anomaly. However I've seen some of my friends go nuts over compliments from guys they had no interest in at all. Some of them just eat up compliments from any source. So I personally haven't seen that polarization, but that's just my experience.

See you are right that most men do not get approached. And although I wish it would change I doubt in my lifetime it will, I am going to have to still do the approaching. BUT being 41 I now know what women are unattainable/unapproachable than 10 years ago. And women mostly want the hot, really good looking guys to approach them, BUT never admit to it. Women work with what comes to them by looking the guys over and finding something negative more than positive in them. Like I say, I may not be much to take a glance at, but given the chance, you will enjoy my company and very much like the person I am. BUT in today's world, substance is further down the list of attraction.

Bottom line is male or female you don't have to do anything you don't want to, but it's totally within your prerogative to take action when you don't like the current situation, even if that action is to decide you don't care.
 Want_You_2010
Msg: 101
Posted: 11/25/2010 5:35:00 PM
I am not banking that a woman here where I live will approach me. Let alone ask me out on a date.
Seems though whenever I venture into the USA, American women seem to approach me and ask me out on dates. Blows my mind. I always get caught off guard.
 eastbelle
Msg: 102
Posted: 11/26/2010 5:38:48 PM
I have asked a man out a few times.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Have you ever asked out a guy? How often do you do that?