Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 restless_native
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Anyone here with arthritis? Or swine flu?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I recently discovered a large pimple on my left buttock and so I too am concerned that this may be a symptom of swine flu.

Obviously I've emailed Sky News to ask them how worried I should. But, so far I'm still waiting for a response.
 *Starstuff*
Msg: 3
Anyone here with arthritis? Or swine flu?
Posted: 6/29/2009 6:14:46 PM
Arthritis is in the joints, especially the joints of the arms and legs. It can be caused by many things: genetics, age, weight, previous injury, high level sports, some occupational hazard (such as with construction workers), and yes, illness or infection, such as a joint infection, gout, etc.

The symptoms for Lime Disease caused by the bite of a tick is a flu like episode followed by aches and pains in the legs and arms not necessarily in the joints. You might want to ask your doctor about being tested for that.

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/lyme.htm

Of course, I'm not a doctor.

Good luck with it.
 ~Hams~
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 11:32:31 AM
I often wake up a little stiff in the morning and can need a good 2 hours to loosen up.

Being serious now

I very much doubt you have swine flu OP unless you have been on holiday to Mexico?

Its quite common for people with ordinary influenza to have painful joints so don't worry!

If things don't improve then a mild course of anti biotics from your GP will help sort you out.

Dr Hams
 stevencl
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 2:51:01 PM
Alma, unfortunately you are at the age when rheumatoid arthritis typically starts. It is an auto-immune disorder which basically means your immune system attacks the fluid found in joint spaces. It also affects your tendons and ligaments as they are lubricated by the same type of fluid found in the joints. I suffer from rheumatoid and osteoarthritis so if you have any questions feel free to mail me. Be guided by your GP and the hospital consultant as they do know best. The Arthritis Research Centre (ARC) have an excellent web site for most of your questions. By the way the pain and stiffness never goes away but it can be controlled by a combination of drugs.
 stevencl
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 8:52:14 AM
Alma, I don't know what pain relief you are taking but ibuprofen and diclofenac are good anti-inflamatory meds, you could supplement this by taking paracetamol at the same time. This will increase the efficacy of the ibuprofen or diclofenac. As you probably know, your form of arthritis should only last roughly up to 6 months with no after effects
 oggers
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 9:01:12 AM
Glad you feeling better Alma , and welcome back !

(might be a bit late, that ...)

Edit - I heard that Micah Richards of Manchester City was diagnosed with swine flu at the weekend - this in no way is an excuse for him playing like a pig last season, by the way ...
 badge73
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 5:58:55 PM
Im right at the heart of the swine flu area which doesnt surprise me considering the amount of pigs wearing short skirts round here and most have had viruses and flu like symptoms but gps are saying keep away and phone only in emergency.

as for your other lot i would reccommend tramadol as its brilliant for my aches, but warning dont drive as can send you high as a kite especially when taken with cider lmfao
 Lorri55
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 12:17:48 PM
I have arthritic ankles.......makes walking very painful but I try to keep as active as possible.

LovelySSBBW
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2009 5:57:20 AM
Swine flu > google it and you'll get the NHS website where you can tick the symptoms and get an instant diagnosis. If they think you may have it, you will be issued with a number for Tamiflu which you have to ask your flu buddy to get for you as you are not allowed out of your house for a week.

The course of Tamiflu lasts 5 days, twice a day. It is proven to speed up healing by close to 2 days.

If you do get the Tamiflu you may also get a pack through the post with a test tube and a prepaid envelope. You are asked to fill out a form (totally voluntary) and take a swab of your nasal cavities, put the Q-tip in a little bottle with a yellow liquid, seal the bag and post it in the biohazard envelope. Two weeks later they will let you know if it was swine flu.

Now as to getting arthritis after a viral infection - sad, but true. Just be grateful it wasn't M.E. as that is a horrible disease that can leave you paralysed.

Arthritis has its periods when it is active and you have a lot of pain, so much pain that no position of your limbs can ease it. Painkillers are the order of the day as well as topical heat (whether by special creams or by applying a hot pack on the affected joint) though some people swear they feel better after a cold pack -you'll find out what works best for you. Massage helps a lot - maybe it is the body heat transfer that does the trick and also the fact that someone cares enough to offer you this comfort, I am not sure.

There is no set time for the arthritis duration. Some people get it just for a few days, others for weeks and others for months. The same goes for the remission periods - nobody knows how long they will last. You can go to bed feeling fine one night and wake up the following day unable to move!

Anyway, as with other chronic diseases, your body will get used to it, you will learn what activates the pain and what eases it and you will be able to manage it to an acceptable degree.

What is important to remember is that when you feel the pain, it is already too late. You should have stopped exerting yourself five minutes ago. Seriously! The moment you get an inkling that you are running out of energy, stop. It is not something to be ashamed of. It is self defence.

All the best.
 LovelySSBBW
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2009 10:17:12 AM
BigRuss, you need to stop the medication. It is not helping you and it is damaging your health further. Been there, done that. My memory was also affected to the point I felt like I was losing it and then my eyesight got affected, too. Took a bit of time for my body to clear from the drugs but now I am happier to 'embrace' the pain and try to prevent flare-ups. Doctors here are rubbish - sorry to say this. They have so many patients and rarely remember your case off hand. They also do not follow you up properly, i.e. if you do not show up to ring you and ask what is going on, not to mention they have no idea about holistic medicine (medicine looking at you as a whole, not as a symptom... you may be sick because your house has toxic mould or because you are worried about finances, etc.) In all my years in this country there has only been one good doctor and it is no coincidence that while under his care I flourished.
 Wiyan
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/24/2009 7:20:39 PM
info on the swine flu: www.projectcamelot.org/jane_burgermeister.html
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >