Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 The Magician
Msg: 67
Bad experience with petsPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

The human is not the one who needs obedience in dog training.

Quite wrong, as you so eloquently stated in your next post.

Positive reinforcement that produces repetition of behavior.....

If the pet owner is not capable, or unwilling, to continue the process of positive reinforcement, then any third party training is going out the window in short time. If the owner is unwilling or too dim witted to realize the process of positive reinforcement, then training has not yet begun.

It all begins with a responsible adult trainer/owner/human who has learned how to become the best friend of the pet. That means that the human is required to be more trained than the animal.
 ny_lady_13601
Msg: 68
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/2/2009 6:53:39 PM
I have 2 siamese cats and one of them likes to check out the new person after a few visits by simply sniffing around them and walking across their laps when we're sitting down. With that I can also check to see if my date is receptive towards my "child" or if he simply ignores my pet (meaning he's not an animal/pet person). My pets are more well behaved then some peoples "human" kids.

As far as horses go, stallions, and young stallions at that can be a bit uppity, so to speak and tend to need a strong & firm hand in control but not to be bullied, that can only get you into a fight that you could lose in a big way. Horses are large and need to be respected. If you've never been around them before, make it known to your friend and she should take the time to discuss them with you and introduce you to them slowly. Watch the interaction, you can tell a lot about people when they have pets.

A good pet will be well behaved and won't have people issues like you experienced before. I have had all sorts of pets and have never had a dog or cat that peed on anything or anywhere then in their litterbox or outside.
 Rob_SA
Msg: 70
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:54:24 AM
If we domesticate a species we have to take responsibility for the outcomes. I choose to have two border collies, so it's up to me to feed and care for them, provide them with shelter, and most importantly to train and control them. Yes, anyone new gets introduced to the dogs and the dogs they fit in... at the bottom. I don't let any kids play with the dogs unsupervised, but even in a supervised situation the dogs have to know they're bottom of the power chain. Even a friend's two and a half year old daughter helps by telling the dogs to sit and drop before they can come up for a pat or play fetch, and if the dogs get too excited she tells them to sit and drop again. I love the dogs to bits, but they're companion animals, not surrogate humans. People tell me I'm good with animals, but all I do is gently but firmly let the animal know their place in the heirarchy and treat the animal with a firm but kind hand.

I'm sure guys have come into a household where the heirarchy is pets, then kids, then Mum, especially if the pets are a pack of cats.
 Rythmn
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:57:31 AM
assuming you are "not" a golden shower queen, ahem:

your luggage may have a marker from a prior pet,

they are sensing you as a threat, or your fear or dominance is worrying them,

never leave your suitcase on the floor,

for cats, and i believe dogs as well, get plug in pheremone mist to be changed monthly--stops spraying and also good for sick pets.

if the horse pees on you, get a life jacket.

in nyc, we had an expression that someone was a "pisser". maybe you are just innately funny? and the animals are responding "literally".

hey OP, at least you are getting out. and into the bed, not the couch. sure you didn't stage this deliberately?
 moraima
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 6:13:12 AM
"So who is training the human? The Dog?"

Hopefully the human is being trained by someone who has spent years of the lives getting education on the subject of dog training.

Dr. Ian Dunbar and his wife spent 40 years studying dog behaviour at Burkley. His lectures taught me that that I had wondered about for years but couldn't figure out for myself.

There are educated dog trainers and some not so educated ones. Best to check out the trainer before signing up. I have never seen one case of a dog(s) being sent off for training then returned to the owner work. Why because once the dog gets home no one gives him the right commands.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 74
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 8:19:14 AM
The one good thing about working with dogs and understanding their psychology and how they operate is that you can walk into just about any neighborhood, park, yard or home and have more influence over a dog than their owner does many times. So while on the training end it's frustrating - on the social end it's a whole new world.
 Tigress
Msg: 75
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 9:38:03 AM
I don't date people who sleep with animals! Problem solved.

I don't think the horses will be as territorial. However, you don't sound like you know much about horses. They are to be respected but try not to show your fear, they will sense it. Just keep in mind that they can bite and kick, even with their front hooves.
No sudden movements! Read up on horse behavior. Do your homework!

Offer them treats, (ask your friend what they like and come armed). Pet them and stroke their nose, mane or neck... act like you like them!
 The Magician
Msg: 76
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:13:47 AM

So who is training the human? The Dog?...... ......But if you believe your dog trained you, I wont argue with you.

Sorry to beat a dead off topic post to death.

You can change dog to dogs (plural), and yes! Over the last 50+ years, each and every canine companion I have had the pleasure of being guardian to, has taught me just a little more. They taught me how to interpret the silent and sometimes vocal language of the species, and what is expected of the guardian. The vicious ones taught me compassion for how they had been raised by a previous owner. The skittish ones taught me how to adjust my own attitude and approach, based on their fears. The ones that were afraid of lightning and thunder taught me how to understand those fears, and overcome that. The ones that had a killer instinct if a chicken decided to fly, taught me about ingrained instincts, and how to work on creating an environment that was less in tune with those primordial instincts.

I trained my dog, and I'm quite sure he has not trained me to do any tricks yet.

If you believe that you have not been trained to do any tricks, try to forget to feed your dog, or neglect to take it for the daily walk. Does your dog tell you when the water bowl is empty? Does it tell you when it needs to go outside for natural purposes? Do you respond in a positive manner? Guess what? You have been trained to slight degree, even if you don't realize it.

OK, so on topic, just so I don't get chastized by the mods yet again (conditioning ), the OP should aproach the stallions as he does anything else unknown to him. Allow yourself to be introduced, and then offer a peace token. A slice of apple works very well, as you can place it in an open palm, face up. A carrot offered in the tips of your fingers is an invitation to have your fingers shortened. Any gesture through the bars of the fence could result in having a wrist or arm broken, so make sure your peace offering is on your side of the fence, or at a minimum, over the top rail.
 Rythmn
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/3/2009 10:20:38 AM
i rented out a horse farm once, when i was in transition and trying to sell my house to move to a new long term "salaried" position, to turn a place around that was in strategic trouble. i let animal rescue type people use the barns and corals and rented out a room to one of them. i knew nothing about horses, but, in many ways, they remind me of huge dogs. they love apples, btw!

i had to get one up from colic one night and walk him around for hours. no cell phone back then, but i had directions via the phone. man, was that an experience. went to my board meeting the next day "exhausted". but, he made it! glad he didn't crush me. our rescue dog used to lie on his back and while the horse grazed, the dog sunned himself! how could you not like animals? (just a thought, not a criticism).

maybe this issue has cropped up, as a gift from the universe. something you need personally to address? or maybe the potential mates just need to know their pets. when mine started peeing (the cats), i checked their bladders first and then got the pheremone spray. since then, they've just pee'd on one woman's things. i can't say i didn't agree with them. they sensed something in her, that i too had problems with. she was very very controlling and part of a group i had here. just a thought, don't mean to say that is you. but, often when not understanding animals, that may be a reaction to them. also, maybe she needs a litter box in that room. they may not have wanted to leave her alone with a stranger. mine were just being territorial with one another--with the exception of that one woman! but, one does get bladder infections as well from it being "too small". given it's chronicity, he's now on chinese herbs for it. when that happens, most pee in the bathtub. not this one. he pees on my stove!
 moraima
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/4/2009 11:21:39 AM
"prove your point with some valid evidence/research"

Please do your own research.

People who are accepted as being world experts in the field of dog behaviour agree with what we are saying. That is good enough for me. That and the decades I have worked in the dog industry, worked rescue including ferial rescue, and studying with expert people have taught me that certain humans will never get it. Probably because they simply don't want to get it.
 The Magician
Msg: 80
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/4/2009 12:02:30 PM

.... ...expert people have taught me that certain humans will never get it. Probably because they simply don't want to get it.

Ouch! Burn!
 moraima
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/4/2009 12:09:47 PM
At a seminar of Dr. Ian Dunbar, we watched as a person who truly didn't get it argued and lost every arguement. She didn't understand that she was completely wrong, but the couple of hundred other people present did. She still thought she knew best, and wouldn't even entertain thinking about what any of the other people said. Her loss, and a loss to any dog she comes in contact with.
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 82
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/4/2009 12:54:43 PM
I agree with you, Passionate Gent! All dogs should have obedience training, and if they can't be trained, then they should not be allowed around other people! Let them maul their owners...
 moraima
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/4/2009 1:19:00 PM
Hum....................that is certainly not how I am reading what Passionate Gent is saying.

Agree that all dogs and their owners should have obedience training. Puppy training is usually only 6 or 8 weeks. Dogs and their owners should go to at least one more course than that. The big one is that the owners need to keep the dog obeying the obedience training for the rest of the dog life. It isn't a case of 6 weeks and you are done.

So many times I have seen people in obedience training throwing up their hands and saying the dog won't obey me. At that point the owner needs to learn how to understand that the need will obey if the owner doesn't give up. Once the dog knows the owner will get bored and give up if the dog doesn't obey each and every time, the dog has become the boss of the owner................bad, bad things can happen if the dog learns that it can get the upper hand.

Constant, good reenforcement with the dog makes life so pleasant for the rest of the time the owner has the pet.
 The Magician
Msg: 87
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/4/2009 5:16:15 PM

I took some advice from the other posts and invested in a bag of carrots. I asked for big carrots and when I told the cashier, I was taking them on my date, for some reason, she found it very funny.

thecatsmeoww
Msg: 88
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/4/2009 5:24:22 PM
Actually, I went there this morning, and the horses were quite friendly. I took some advice from the other posts and invested in a bag of carrots. I asked for big carrots and when I told the cashier, I was taking them on my date, for some reason, she found it very funny.

So she thought you were purchasing a suppliment?

thecatsmeoww
 moraima
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/4/2009 9:37:33 PM
^^^Nice attempted save................kind of like a wet nose, and sad eyes.
 DaytonDennis
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/9/2009 1:35:49 PM
^^^^^ Gosh, I agree with Motown again, but last time I did that the thread got deleted? whats up with THAT? and Motown is a dog training guru? Be afwaid.... be vewwwwwwy afwaid!!
 Rythmn
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/11/2009 12:05:43 PM
ah, OP has found that the carrot, and not the stick, makes all the difference in the world to a horse. that is how i was trained to deal with the rescue horses i encountered.

with dogs and cats, try cantelope! i once had a half melon on my plate on the floor. came back to my dogclamped onto one end of the melon and my cat affixed to the other. he was dragging the two (cat and melon) along the floor. she was growling and holding onto her end of the melon at the same time. just in time to cut the melon in two and prevent a lover's quarrel. when she was a kitten, she slept on top of him and if you so much as yell at her, he'll grab your leg very fiercely. pets can be extremely funny. i believe they are the root cause of most of the original cartoons!

glad your date is working out!
 no_excuses_please
Msg: 98
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 7/14/2009 2:43:33 PM
People assume that you'll find their pets as endearing as they do.
Personally I avoid women w/ profiles showing them holding an animal or kissing it.

I like dogs and cats.
But they are just that...dogs and cats.

I'm not going to be mean to them...but I'm not going to make them the focal point of my life.
Some people do...and then become angry and confused when you don't see things the way that they do.

I spent the night at a lady's house that had an incontinent dog that she let sleep on the bed.
The dog had an accident and I left after taking a quick shower (no...besides the one in the bed).

The next day I got a call about how I had upset her dog with my reaction.
I hadn't yelled or anything..I had just got the bed really quick and then got into the shower.
I told her that I had never had a dog urinate on me before so I guess wasn't sure HOW I should react.
Needless to say,we cut things short.
She never apologized for her dog.

As I said,I like pets.
To a point.
 TryAgan
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 1/5/2012 4:03:44 PM
How about putting a pulsating vibrator in a sock and throwing it on the floor?
That should get cat's attention.
 nativerock
Msg: 103
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 1/7/2012 4:40:26 PM

Guess I'm shyt outta luck in the dating pool now that I've recently adopted a 3' Snowy Egret but he now lives here and you don't.

Only one thing worse than that is being a raw vegan like myself.. Don't try and take away a man's meat..
nativerock
 TryAgan
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 1/8/2012 12:36:56 AM

I've recently adopted a 3' Snowy Egret but he now lives here and you don't

If a snowy bird can adapt to Florida weather, so could some Canadian men.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 106
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 1/23/2012 3:43:54 PM
Well, clearly you did not meet with their approval...lol. My suggestion is to stay out of the barn and out of the saddle.

But seriously, pets can make or break a relationship, especially if the pet owner lets his/her animal have a dominate role in the house or does not curb their bad behaviors. I liked this funny guy once but his dog could not be left alone more than a couple hours at a time and his aggressive barking at other dogs, cats and people meant he could never come to my place because of the ruckus and risk he might bite someone or their pet. It created a lot of tension that we could not travel and had to plan our time together around the dog. What was originally fun turned into a big buzzkill and soured me forever on dating dog owners.
 corriedale
Msg: 107
Bad experience with pets
Posted: 1/23/2012 7:30:59 PM
I know my Collie would herd you away in a moment if you didn't stand your ground and I don't mean in a mean way but just dominant.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >