Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pingshooter
Msg: 126
view profile
History
looks or profile, what attracks you first?Page 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Well..what shows up first, being visual creatures that we are..pictures.
Then, I read the profile, completely. Habit..I like to read.

Then..if I am inclined, I compliment the woman on her appearance. Never hear back from most, but that's okay. I wanted to give a compliment, I did.

If inclined, I will comment on their dog, hobby, whatever..because I want to. I am not expecting a reply, but if I get one, that's nice. It's called communication.

I have met some friends that way, and that is okay too.
 Kariann71
Msg: 127
looks or profile, what attracks you first?
Posted: 7/29/2011 5:48:31 AM
The pic is usually what makes you click in the first place, but the profile is what matters most. The man I'm dating now has a great profile so I just had to say hello to him. It's short, funny and to the point. No bullsh!t, no long lists of things he doesn't want or things that piss him off, no negativity. Just hey, here I am, take me or leave me. I like that kind of directness. I'm almost 40 and not interested in playing games (outside the bedroom that is ).
 jblack187
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2011 6:05:33 AM
Looks attract me first. There's simply no other way for it to happen. You have to see the pictures before you can even get to the profile, and I generally won't click a profile if their main picture doesn't catch my eye.

However, once I click a profile I have a process. First thing I do is look to see things like if they smoke and drink, their religion, if they have a car, and if they have kids. If I'm okay with the answers I move on to their profile and quickly look it over to make sure she seems like someone I'd be interested in.

About 80% of the time I end up not sending a message because their profile is either too short ("Hi my name is Amber I'm not good at these things so if you want to know more just ask.") or full of horrible spelling ("m y name iz amber n im not lookin for no drama n my kids babydaddy all ready give me enuff of that") or just boring and generic ("Looking for a Southern Gentlmen. My hobbies include God...")
 kari135
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2011 8:02:10 AM
The profile is a package, photos and text together. Most aren’t interesting to read, and since I don’t see that well, the photos don’t do that much for me either. In fact, I frequently look for ones without photos. Once in awhile I come across one that’s interesting - to me - and I’ll send a compliment, if possible... amazing how many have distance limitations in their mail settings. I’ve gotten every possible response from ‘thanks’ to being blocked. Overall, though, the ones who do interest me personally aren’t interested in me at all, so it’s a moot point.

I really dislike the latest ‘improvement’ - the one where clicking Online gets only thumbnails. The thumbnails are too small for me to see, and if I use that, I end up looking at a lot I’d pass by, since I already know most of those in my general area, and I know who would and wouldn’t be compatible. It’s a waste of my time, looking at them over and over.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 131
Posted: 11/4/2011 1:23:45 PM
Obviously, the pic, if there is one, because it is right there and the fastest thing to do with your eyes.
Then I read the profile, keeping an eye out for dealbreakers and overall tone.

If there is no pic, then I just read the profile as stated above.
 _allen_
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2011 4:35:03 PM
Headlines attracts me first ... then I move on to profile and misc information (i.e. age, sign, height, weight, etc) ... last but not least, I'll glance at the photos. If I like what I've read and saw, I'll then move down to the "First Date" section.

If all is in order and I'm interested in striking up something with this woman, I hit the "Email" button, introduce myself and write a witty comment referring to her profile. Then I'll ask a question to invite discussion.

After all my due diligence, I usually never hear anything back.

From there, I'll move on to the next profile and repeat the process all over again.

It's a vicious cycle ...
 christyis4real
Msg: 133
Posted: 11/4/2011 7:53:53 PM
A mixture of both.
 JCinVicBC
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2011 5:15:42 AM
The headline sometimes will attract my attention, but usually it's the photo shown in the listings. I check the photos first, see if she's someone I'd date (I'm not too picky about looks, but I do have preferences, and some looks just really don't appeal to me--but I bet they appeal just fine to plenty of other guys (then again, I have found one woman on here whom I'm not particularly attracted to physically, yet would still really like to date)). After that, I check that the basic requirements are in order (non-smoker, local or close to it, within the age range I'm seeking), then see if her profile appeals to me, and if we have interests in common. It's almost always the profile that determines whether I contact her; all the other stuff is just filters.

Then again, sometimes if a profile doesn't appeal to me much, I may grasp at anything if her photos have strong appeal.
 musical_turtle
Msg: 137
Posted: 11/6/2011 7:00:12 PM
I'll be honest lol when I receive a message from a guy...I usually click on profiles based on the display picture first. But the deciding factor on whether I reply back to the guys message is what he writes in his profile...I like creative descriptions, and if there's humor in it...even better lol
 Athletics89
Msg: 139
Posted: 11/7/2011 11:46:02 AM
Looks help, but anytime I view a profile, I read the entire description. If she writes well, that is a huge factor. If she writes a short description with no interests listed, it makes it difficult to know what to say. However, just a simple hi, how was your day?, often brings a response.
 Draegoneer
Msg: 141
Posted: 11/7/2011 2:18:42 PM
Due to the nature of the site and many others like it, you will almost always see a picture first, if it's available. I look at profiles with out photos too. Mostly, I seem to base this on age. I think almost all of the profiles I've viewed have been mostly on age. Any thing more depends on the profile.
 ricanfreaknphenom
Msg: 143
looks or profile, what attracts you first?
Posted: 11/8/2011 10:02:58 AM
Everyone looks at the pictures
After I posted the rocking flexing in the mirror pics as the main pic I got 3 times more views
And wanting to meet me's
 WanderingRain
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2011 12:51:05 PM
A picture tells a thousand words, as they say.
I try not to go by appearances as to HOW they appear in their own picture.

Is her smile warm or heartfelt? (you can tell, you know... we used to be experts in facial reading until laziness and civilization took that away)
Second... profile length and content.

Too generic turns me off. I know not a lot of people are born writers, but exceptional people, even if they are not gifted writers, will express themselves in some special way (either through pictures or their selection of hobbies)

which brings me to #3: Hobbies. Honestly, if all you have is watching TV, sports, fishing and camping.... forget it. Everyone has that.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 147
Posted: 5/10/2012 7:22:31 PM
On the dating side of POF, it's neither looks, nor profile that attract me first because I use the advanced search to narrow the prospects to the other criteria that attract me first. From that pool it is the photo that is second. But he could look like CloudHidden and I wouldn't be interested if his profile was crap.

On the forum side of POF, again, it's not looks that attract me first, it's the content of their posts.

Only been one exception a few years ago and that was most definitely his picture that caused me to read his profile. But, it was the profile that caused me to write.

I've learned to be less impetuous.
 hilltopdc
Msg: 148
Posted: 5/10/2012 11:44:09 PM
Like me, looks attract about 99% percent of the users here at first. However, if I read the profile and it is typed mostly in ebonics, is full of misspelled words, has terrible grammar, and other turn-offs, then those looks would mean nothing to me.
 Thirdborn
Msg: 149
Posted: 5/11/2012 7:16:07 AM
Looks fade in time and what you are left with is the person's character. I am as guilty as any in looking at the pictures and thinking "wow" he is a cutie. Having said that, if the profile is repulsive, I move on. If he is rather plain looking (but not repulsive) and his profile says "wow" to me then I will send at least a flirt message. Mutual attraction to character and physical is necessary for most people I think. Profiles are minimal in providing information about the person, as such, should be looked at in that way. Just about anyone can put up a good first impression...sometimes it is built on lies, sometimes the person just can't communicate well in writing. Hit and miss for the most part.
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 150
Posted: 5/11/2012 8:21:00 AM
The photos are always the first cut. Only if I am attracted to the looks of a woman, whether on a dating website or in peson, will I be interested in reading her profile or talking with her to get to know her. That said, I plead nolo contendere to emailing a woman without reading her profile first.
 Capn_America
Msg: 151
Posted: 5/11/2012 8:34:04 AM
As soon as I see a pic of a girl with big boobs, I'm a goner.
Or if she's waving around dollar bills.
Or if she's running down a mountain naked on a bobsleight.
Or if she has more hair than a gorilla.

Not necessarily in that order

\/ \/ \/ Aww, screw the coffee; every morning I eat my cup and drink my toast, and still aint awake.
Uhhhhh....yeah!
 SilverLight
Msg: 152
Posted: 5/11/2012 2:05:13 PM
Looks are number one. That will get my immediate attention. Then I read thru the profile to see what's up.

However, I have learned not to judge someone's integrity purely on that. I've gotten together with some very attractive men who, very quickly, I discovered were players, extremely self centered and tried to pressure me into having sex with them (two had herpes).

So while looks and physical attraction are important (really...if you are looking for a relationship, physical chemistry has to be there for a healthy sex life you look forward to) beware of someone's character. Sometimes very good looking men end up taking women for granted and don't learn to fully appreciate what LOVE is, not just lust. Not all men, but I have run into this, and that is what makes someone truly "ugly"...no matter how cute they are.
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 153
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:55:07 PM
looks then profile...if he attracts me but then his profiile says ..." blah blah blah " which I have read, or dots and lines or the same sentence over and over agains just to take up the amount of characters they have to have...

fo-get-about-it

if they won't talk now I can't imagine what life would be like in 10 years.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 154
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:56:10 PM
Looks is what gets me first, Then reading the profile to a point. From reading lots of profiles I find that most of them sound about the same. Living in LA I noticed a common post in the profiles.. "I'm not your typical LA woman"
No matter how original some people think they are. Most of us are not, I can only say that about women as I dont read guys profiles. See no reason why it wont be same for women reading guys profiles.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 155
Posted: 5/11/2012 6:19:11 PM
Women base everything on looks as well... It's just how life is some folks are more lucky in that department then others...
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 156
Posted: 5/15/2012 8:28:20 AM
When someone writes I see what they look like but I don't care about htat nearly as much as the profile; who they are. So while I might have my attention initially grabbed by a pic; I don't fully invest in being attracted if I am not attracted to who they seem to be as a person (at least in first glance; since you only get the most surface glimpse in photo and profile both).

And know what you mean; I totally chopped mine; I was getting a little overloaded; so switched it up and shortened it and added something at the end so I will know if aperson bothered to read it or not ;)
 justlookingvt
Msg: 157
Posted: 5/16/2012 10:39:12 PM

added something at the end so I will know if aperson bothered to read it or not

Pepperoni alert!!

Do you go "Engage!" or "Make it so!" just before you start slicing ? :-))
 tuxqueot
Msg: 158
Posted: 5/16/2012 11:06:10 PM
Oddly my first question was which one?

The first one, from Enterprise, NX-01?
The constitution class from the original series, NC-1701 or NC-1701A?
The galaxy class from TNG, NC-1701D?

My personal favorite is the excelsior class, NC-1701B but that maybe just because Kirk "died" on that one ;)

Or the one used in the movie released just a couple years ago, which is supposedly a constitution class but looks nothing like the original series, changes substantiated by the fact it is supposedly an alternate timeline?

Yeah, I admit it, I'm a geek. Anyone surprised?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >