Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hunter_9878
Msg: 144
looks or profile, what attracts you first?Page 4 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Looks is always the opener. If you do not ready the profile then to me you have lost. I want to know if the person with the right looks has something in common with me. I hate to see those who only want looks. To me I want a health looking gal so looks are a important feature. No picture then profiles are not always true as I have found. cheers.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 146
view profile
History
looks or profile, what attracks you first?
Posted: 11/13/2011 12:51:05 PM
A picture tells a thousand words, as they say.
I try not to go by appearances as to HOW they appear in their own picture.

Is her smile warm or heartfelt? (you can tell, you know... we used to be experts in facial reading until laziness and civilization took that away)
Second... profile length and content.

Too generic turns me off. I know not a lot of people are born writers, but exceptional people, even if they are not gifted writers, will express themselves in some special way (either through pictures or their selection of hobbies)

which brings me to #3: Hobbies. Honestly, if all you have is watching TV, sports, fishing and camping.... forget it. Everyone has that.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 147
looks or profile, what attracts you first?
Posted: 5/10/2012 7:22:31 PM
On the dating side of POF, it's neither looks, nor profile that attract me first because I use the advanced search to narrow the prospects to the other criteria that attract me first. From that pool it is the photo that is second. But he could look like CloudHidden and I wouldn't be interested if his profile was crap.

On the forum side of POF, again, it's not looks that attract me first, it's the content of their posts.

Only been one exception a few years ago and that was most definitely his picture that caused me to read his profile. But, it was the profile that caused me to write.

I've learned to be less impetuous.
 hilltopdc
Msg: 148
Posted: 5/10/2012 11:44:09 PM
Like me, looks attract about 99% percent of the users here at first. However, if I read the profile and it is typed mostly in ebonics, is full of misspelled words, has terrible grammar, and other turn-offs, then those looks would mean nothing to me.
 Thirdborn
Msg: 149
Posted: 5/11/2012 7:16:07 AM
Looks fade in time and what you are left with is the person's character. I am as guilty as any in looking at the pictures and thinking "wow" he is a cutie. Having said that, if the profile is repulsive, I move on. If he is rather plain looking (but not repulsive) and his profile says "wow" to me then I will send at least a flirt message. Mutual attraction to character and physical is necessary for most people I think. Profiles are minimal in providing information about the person, as such, should be looked at in that way. Just about anyone can put up a good first impression...sometimes it is built on lies, sometimes the person just can't communicate well in writing. Hit and miss for the most part.
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 150
Posted: 5/11/2012 8:21:00 AM
The photos are always the first cut. Only if I am attracted to the looks of a woman, whether on a dating website or in peson, will I be interested in reading her profile or talking with her to get to know her. That said, I plead nolo contendere to emailing a woman without reading her profile first.
 Capn_America
Msg: 151
Posted: 5/11/2012 8:34:04 AM
As soon as I see a pic of a girl with big boobs, I'm a goner.
Or if she's waving around dollar bills.
Or if she's running down a mountain naked on a bobsleight.
Or if she has more hair than a gorilla.

Not necessarily in that order

\/ \/ \/ Aww, screw the coffee; every morning I eat my cup and drink my toast, and still aint awake.
Uhhhhh....yeah!
 SilverLight
Msg: 152
Posted: 5/11/2012 2:05:13 PM
Looks are number one. That will get my immediate attention. Then I read thru the profile to see what's up.

However, I have learned not to judge someone's integrity purely on that. I've gotten together with some very attractive men who, very quickly, I discovered were players, extremely self centered and tried to pressure me into having sex with them (two had herpes).

So while looks and physical attraction are important (really...if you are looking for a relationship, physical chemistry has to be there for a healthy sex life you look forward to) beware of someone's character. Sometimes very good looking men end up taking women for granted and don't learn to fully appreciate what LOVE is, not just lust. Not all men, but I have run into this, and that is what makes someone truly "ugly"...no matter how cute they are.
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 153
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:55:07 PM
looks then profile...if he attracts me but then his profiile says ..." blah blah blah " which I have read, or dots and lines or the same sentence over and over agains just to take up the amount of characters they have to have...

fo-get-about-it

if they won't talk now I can't imagine what life would be like in 10 years.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 154
Posted: 5/11/2012 5:56:10 PM
Looks is what gets me first, Then reading the profile to a point. From reading lots of profiles I find that most of them sound about the same. Living in LA I noticed a common post in the profiles.. "I'm not your typical LA woman"
No matter how original some people think they are. Most of us are not, I can only say that about women as I dont read guys profiles. See no reason why it wont be same for women reading guys profiles.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 155
Posted: 5/11/2012 6:19:11 PM
Women base everything on looks as well... It's just how life is some folks are more lucky in that department then others...
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 156
Posted: 5/15/2012 8:28:20 AM
When someone writes I see what they look like but I don't care about htat nearly as much as the profile; who they are. So while I might have my attention initially grabbed by a pic; I don't fully invest in being attracted if I am not attracted to who they seem to be as a person (at least in first glance; since you only get the most surface glimpse in photo and profile both).

And know what you mean; I totally chopped mine; I was getting a little overloaded; so switched it up and shortened it and added something at the end so I will know if aperson bothered to read it or not ;)
 justlookingvt
Msg: 157
Posted: 5/16/2012 10:39:12 PM

added something at the end so I will know if aperson bothered to read it or not

Pepperoni alert!!

Do you go "Engage!" or "Make it so!" just before you start slicing ? :-))
 tuxqueot
Msg: 158
Posted: 5/16/2012 11:06:10 PM
Oddly my first question was which one?

The first one, from Enterprise, NX-01?
The constitution class from the original series, NC-1701 or NC-1701A?
The galaxy class from TNG, NC-1701D?

My personal favorite is the excelsior class, NC-1701B but that maybe just because Kirk "died" on that one ;)

Or the one used in the movie released just a couple years ago, which is supposedly a constitution class but looks nothing like the original series, changes substantiated by the fact it is supposedly an alternate timeline?

Yeah, I admit it, I'm a geek. Anyone surprised?
 loveoutside
Msg: 159
Posted: 5/17/2012 12:11:29 AM
LOL, out of all that, only thing I got was the Enterprise (main ship right?). I like the one with the bald captain over old Kirk but as you can tell, my knowledge is near zero.

As for the intent of this post - I'll admit, its all about the look - yes I'm vain.

Moonbeamlover, that's quite clever!!! Going to so use that.
 celrian23
Msg: 160
Posted: 5/17/2012 8:45:13 AM
I definitely agree, I've noticed some messages I get clearly show that the writer didn't read my profile or at least not all of it before msging me. Personally I'm sure everyone clicks on a profile based on being attracted to the users picture but I always read the profile before I decide whether I want to send them a message because first of all the message is going to be based around something i read about them and there are certainly a number of times a guy with attractive pictures has something in his profile that lets me know he's probably not the one for me or I wouldn't be right for him so I just keep moving.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 161
Posted: 5/17/2012 2:51:13 PM
If I read a woman's profile and send her a message commenting on, or asking about something she mentioned in her profile and don't get a reply, OR, if I send a one-word "Hey!" message to some woman whose profile I haven't bothered to read and don't get a reply, what's the difference to me?

The return on my investment is the same either way.
As long as there isn't a significant difference in the reply rate between doing it 'right' and doing it 'wrong', people are going to do whichever is easier.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 162
Posted: 5/17/2012 5:00:49 PM
Looks at first, then I read the profile and if I am interested I will write her a message.
 grove_22
Msg: 163
Posted: 5/17/2012 7:24:54 PM
The photos first. Then I check the profile to see if I match a woman's requirements and if there is anything in the profile that is a dealbreaker to me.
 chipinsd
Msg: 164
Posted: 5/18/2012 3:43:24 PM
I was deleting 50 messages a week it seemed for awhile from women who were not reading my profile. Usually a "hi" or ":-)" and rarely more than a single sentence. It got so annoying I ended up just using a single photo, then taking all my photos offline for over a month. Now I'm back to a few more tame pictures. I understand this is even worse for women.

For me, reading the profile is pretty essential before bothering to send a message. It depends on what you're looking for? For me it has to be both. I've emailed a select number of women based on profile alone because I really liked what they had in there. More often than not you need a picture to have some sense there will be workable chemistry?
 chipinsd
Msg: 165
Posted: 5/18/2012 5:10:24 PM
@domo

That's fine I'm used to be judged (unfairly) based simply on how I look. I could put a photo of the Lakers logo on my profile, well except you're required to show your face on PoF?

News flash, it doesn't matter? Everyone has a type they're attracted to, and everyone deals with dating issues?

Your profile looks fine and genuine, I'm sure you will find the right guy in Tampa?
 bkhickman
Msg: 166
Posted: 5/21/2012 12:10:54 PM
1st is the picture... not so much "looking for hotties" but to get a general sense of whether or not I want to look any deeper. It's not the "looks" I'm interrested in, though of course a "hottie" will stand out. I ALWAYS read the profiles. There has to be something in there that interests me, or that we have in common for me to message someone.
 SONNI100
Msg: 167
Posted: 5/21/2012 12:49:19 PM
Of course it's the pic first...what else could it be on a dating site displaying pictures?
 fillyphilly
Msg: 168
Posted: 5/21/2012 10:00:22 PM
Since I pay for half the dates which equals dutch in the end, the guy has be decent looking and take care of himself. Just like it's always been for women, well now we expect the guy to look good and be pleasant. If the man has a good profile and looks like the dog's dinner well, some other lucky chick can have him. I've spent my life trying to look good for men and I'm not dating any slobs.
 foXss
Msg: 169
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:49:01 AM
Wtf knows what this women want, I barely get any PM's at all.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >