Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 charningreek
Msg: 184
looks or profile, what attracts you first?Page 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
yup we do not get a voice message explaining a profile.
Why are people so dumb and say stupidities?
wew see pictures and also asked if we are interested,yes maybe or not.
 imrrc
Msg: 185
view profile
History
looks or profile, what attracts you first?
Posted: 5/28/2012 10:11:41 AM
I don't have a photo on my profile yet. I am moving soon and will post one. I have all info posted, where I am moving to and explained I would be staying with a friend until I get my bearings and am settled in my new job. I recieved an email from a woman, she seemed nice. Then I asume she went back and viewed my profile again. It took another email from her to say, "there's trailer trash in that town" and I never heard from her again, I hope she enjoys her snobby attitude living in her gated community. Maybe that's why she is single, haha. There are rich people and "trailer trash" (whatever her assumption of that type is) in every town.
 bay_shore
Msg: 186
Posted: 5/28/2012 10:17:35 AM
For many people, it's the photos and your "stats" ( such as height, age, having children etc ). Then they may read the rest of the profile.
 ohhgimmeabreak
Msg: 187
Posted: 5/30/2012 6:36:10 PM
I click to read a profile when I like the picture. However is the profile that seals the deal or not.
 FunnyGirly1
Msg: 188
Posted: 5/30/2012 7:47:34 PM
If I like the picture I then would read the profile. If I like both then I will get to know them.
 Gertrude13
Msg: 189
Posted: 5/30/2012 7:48:08 PM
Profile, profile, profile!!!! and tag line.

I've only sent out a handful of first messages, and they were ALWAYS based on his "about me." Amusing, snarky, or whatever. The messages were just a compliment, thanks for a chuckle, or snark returned in kind...

As for the people I message back, it's a combination, honestly. A generic (but NOT cut and paste) message from a delectable hunk might get a response, but an interesting, correctly-spelled message indicating the fella has actually read my super-duper serious profile garners far more interest. Unless he's Quasimodo. Then I just feel really bad:(
 WhyIsEverythingITypeTaken
Msg: 190
Posted: 5/30/2012 8:25:38 PM
I look at their picture first. I ask myself the question of "Would I have sex with this guy?". If he doesn't "tickle my fancy a little" forget it. I know it might be shallow, but people always have differen perceptions of what is considered attractive. One guy who I think is unattractive is really hot to someone else. I haven't come across a guy who became attractive to me the more I talked to him. For me it's black and white. I'm either are or aren't.
 GlenRH
Msg: 191
Posted: 5/30/2012 8:29:03 PM
Photo. If not attracted to the person, honestly can't see myself pursuing a relationship with said person. And it's not shallow. It just is what it is. Everyone has their own type, and I'm sorry but, contrary to replies I have received, me not being attracted to you does not make me an ***hole. Isn't the truth better than being led to believe something that isn't true?
 WhyIsEverythingITypeTaken
Msg: 192
Posted: 5/30/2012 9:19:06 PM

I'm either are or aren't.

sorry am or am not*
 chinadol6977
Msg: 193
view profile
History
looks or profile, what attracks you first?
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:46:19 AM
Looks,it's the only thing that makes you want to click on the profile if it's me making first contact.If I'm responding to a message then the profile...
 Capn_America
Msg: 194
Posted: 5/31/2012 6:00:02 AM

Size of tits.

jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 195
Posted: 6/1/2012 10:46:35 PM
Looks is what attracts initially. .like more than a few posters mentioned, if there isn't any attraction there, or you can't imagine kissing them, one is not going to get past that stage. When replying to a message, I look at the profile. .if they have great pictures, but all they write is something like "abcdefghijk just filling up this space because I have to", Iwouldn't reply.
 turnitupman
Msg: 196
Posted: 6/2/2012 2:00:23 PM
Obviously it's going to be looks first in this format. You see a picture first and, if you're in the search, you might get one or two lines of text if you're lucky. So you're going to go into a profile pretty much based entirely on looks and vital statistics (Height, distance, smoking, drinking, kids, ect) - there's no other way to see it without going into every single profile. Which nobody does, ergo you automatically are selective by photos that are attractive to you.

Unfortunately, I guess this means I'm not nearly as smexy as I thought lol.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 197
Posted: 6/2/2012 9:23:43 PM
If I were emailing people from here I would look at the pic first and if that appeals then read the profile but if that doesnt appeal, then I wouldnt bother. It is a combination. A good profile without good pics, then I would not be so interested. I know that some men hit on the good looking pics and dont bother to read a profile, but they are only playing around or using the numbers game. If the criteria is not right, and sometimes there is nothing matching, you just move on.
 AllinKingofHearts
Msg: 198
Posted: 6/3/2012 12:30:10 PM
The picture, I look at the eyes first to see if I can see a mean streak in there, then I check the age and try to determine if the picture is 10 years younger than the stated age. If I think it's older than a year and a half to two years I will probably move on without reading the pro. After all if she can't be honest enough to put up a recent pic why should I assume she will be honest in the future? As a personal observation, women who don't post recent pics usually have low self esteem and are never happy. If you don't like yourself the way you are, why should I?
 wildriver11
Msg: 199
Posted: 6/3/2012 1:53:34 PM
Life is a mystery. You never know what people like. It could be your picture. It could be what you say. It could be what you do for work. It could be your weight or height.

I'm curious about one thing. If dead people can date, what would they use as a criteria to look at each other for judging whether or not one dead person will date another dead person? A nicer skeleton? lol....think about it. Human beings are full of chit! lol
 prettyandcurvy
Msg: 200
Posted: 6/4/2012 8:10:34 AM
I feel exactly the same way as sirthinkalot on 7/2/2009 1030 AM.
While I can appreciate a man's aesthetic appeal, I can't become interested in him physically until I have connected with him on an emotional/intellectual level. At that point whatever his perceived level of attractiveness was, it will have become elevated in my opinion. So yes, the written part of the profile carries more weight for me than pictures.

PROFILE, Profile, profile. Without a question it is the profile that attracts me first.
As I've stated elsewhere in these forums the looks are unimportant in my wanting to contact them. If they have that "certain look" but not what I'm interested in in their written profile, I don't contact them.
If they have qualities I'm looking for in their profile but not that "look" in their picture, I contact them.
If they have qualities I'm looking for in their profile but no picture, I contact them.
My best preference is the last one.
I fully agree with the OP in "what good is the package without substance" if all someone wants is for the looks, most probably they are seeking a night session not LTR.
Noteworthy also is, I do not judge fully on how long written their profile is. I've responded to ones that had few words but the ideas were thought provoking or they shared common interests with me.
The photo may be misleading more than the profile.
I've found it easier to doctor or fake a photo then falsely communicate with words.
Easier to be misled by an image then by a mind.
I've known very physically attractive people to be ugly on the inside.
I've never found a beautiful person inside to appear ugly to me.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 201
Posted: 6/4/2012 12:01:51 PM
OP’s header asks “looks or profile, what attracts you first?” I don’t even know how I’d get to the profile without seeing the photo first. If it doesn’t attract me, I won’t click it.

And then “What makes you email someone? looks or profile?” Assuming the pic is attractive, I’d qualify by age, location, religion, education, smoking habits, interests – pretty much the way the info is laid out on the page.

Their ‘about me’ comes last. That doesn’t mean it’s unimportant. It just means the other deal-breakers come first.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2012 3:02:45 PM
I will look at the pic initially. Then I read the profile. Sometimes the pic really attracts me. But... if the profiles does not pique my interest then there is no contact. It is a twofold proposition!!!
 BobbyHillSwag
Msg: 203
Posted: 7/6/2012 4:45:14 PM
This sir, This. If all that man hating crap is on their profile I wont even waste their time or mine. I still do look at their pics though. Although Im just mainly looking for friends. For me it's much easier to get girls in real life than on here.
 dressagesweetie1974
Msg: 204
Posted: 7/6/2012 5:05:26 PM
Looks obviously... some times if someone has a REALLY super Headline I'll check them out too. When I open a profile, I go to height next, then profile read. Lol
 dressagesweetie1974
Msg: 205
Posted: 7/6/2012 6:18:57 PM
Me too... if someone can make me giggle or smirk, then I'll message them. I've only initiated four emails so far though
 arsenalfann
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2012 11:43:58 PM
if she posts a picture of her nipple with glasses that'd be nice
 TantricJedi
Msg: 207
Posted: 9/5/2012 9:33:29 PM
Yeah, a fat chick with a heart of gold wins my**** And the same holds true vice versa. Right?
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 208
Posted: 9/6/2012 4:24:48 AM
Pics first......that's why I use pics of my twin brother....I think he looks more manly....as we all know women want those manly looking men....
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >