Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Death and the age of 50....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GoodmanGreg
Msg: 51
Death and the age of 50....Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Spend an hour at the DMV, it will seem like days

pirateheaven: That is so funny!

Honestly, I'd rather spend an afternoon in the Dentist chair going through root canal than to go to the DMV!
 Fl_GoldWinger
Msg: 52
Death and the age of 50....
Posted: 10/3/2009 11:43:40 AM
I just say a blurp on the news (well ok it was last night) where they were saying that 50% of the kids born today can expect to see 100. Much of this is attributed to the advances in medicine and health care but I don't believe it can overcome basic everyday care.

Most everyone on my family has lasted a good long while, grandpa 83, grandma 71, grandma 92, grandpa 67, except for my dad who just turned 57 on his passing. My point being much the same as what you said, he wasn't one to seek the care he needed when it would do the most good and I know that it caught up with him. In fairness, he has his hands full with my mothers health concerns which were more life threatening at the time.

So like my piece of machinery, its all dependent on the maintenance received over time and as the mileage goes up, so does the need for regular maintenance. Something Ive learned myself recently having gone through an almost identical heart problem as my mother did.
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/4/2009 5:21:40 AM
My Husband died at 42 yrs old.....My Daughters friend died at 15 yrs old, I know another couple her husband died at 23yrs. old from cancer, I know of a 15 yr old girl dying from Lou Garret's diease. (Not Sure If I spelled that right)
Instead of focusing on death, Focus on today. Death happens to young and old. After my Husband died I couldn't catch my breath for two years. Death no longer scares me. But I also and not willing to go right now. I know so many people that are seeing their parents aging and dying and it scares them. If you allow fear to control your life it shortens the good things because your so focused on the "What If's" Fear has a funny way of doing that. I believe if we experience death in losing those we care about. We now know how incredible life is. Our loved one's that passed before us teach lesson's about life and living. If I were to die today my family and friends know how much I love them. I tell them everytime I speak to them so there are no regrets and they always know how I feel. Never doubting for one second that I love openly. I tell male and female friends I love them. I don't throw the Love word around easily. But long term relationships I believe they need to know how much I care..........Don' t Let the fear of death scare you. Love and Live in the moment. I never forget to tell those that I care about how much they mean to me. And never let fear rule your life.
 PlaywithMe3
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/4/2009 6:12:42 AM
actually the numbers show the serious problem period is 50 - 60. get through that and if u are a WASP your odds of living into the late 80's and even the 90's increases tremendously. The ones u mentioned hit the number with a generally accepted +,- in statistical reporting.
PWM
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/8/2009 1:58:12 PM
My wise grandfather always said whether we liked it or not, whether we were ready or not, "you all are leaving here....you cannot stay."

So, while we're here, we have to use WHATEVER time to live good lives....
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/8/2009 3:31:07 PM
My dad's side of the family tended to crap out in their sixties. My mom's side lived well into their 80's and 90's (but tended to lose their brains during the last 20, 30 years). I see it as kind of a crap shoot. At least I've made it a good bit past fifty, lol! My last health crisis was in 2002, and at that point, I seriously didn't expect to have five more years. Courtesy of Dr. Atkins, I not only erased that deficit, but am in better shape than I was for the ten years leading up to it -- even my arthritis is minimal. So ya just never know. Do what you can and enjoy the rest for whatever it is.

Live long and prosper kiddles!
 salsamercie
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/9/2009 11:59:15 AM
Lokeylarry........Your message was beautiful from a spiritual perspective.
 stevelfun
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/13/2009 11:01:43 AM
I chalk it up to all the 'processed' food and ingredients.
 SASSYN89178
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2009 1:23:05 PM
I've found thru the deaths of many of my ex-b/f that the years of excessive drinking, smoking and no exercise in their 20's -40's resulted in an early death.
If you smoke, drink 4-7x a week, and don't exercise when you're younger, it IS going to catch up with you as you age.
 LimyBean
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/13/2009 1:23:08 PM
Hi There,I lost my husband last June he was only 54 years old.Three weeks after that I lost my best friend she was only 49 .Just over 5 years ago I lost my brother he was only 42. So yes there is a lot in what you are saying..
 wistfuloptimist
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/13/2009 7:16:16 PM
My grandmother is still alive and kicking. This means that my granddaughter has a living great-great grandmother. I remember my great-grandmother. But on the other end of the equation I have a grandchild that died not too long ago. Something I find very awkward to talk about when a date asks about kids. I tend to not mention it in the early stages of dating.

Live each day as best as you can. Try to live healthy and take care of yourself. When it is time to go it will happen. There is no cure for death yet.
 SgrsShak
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 2:36:41 PM
I've noticed in the past ten years or so that many, many people seem to be dying right around the age of 50

Ahhh..........You've entered the Golden Age
When you're in your 50's , naturally you will notice it~ So as when your in your 60's, you'll focus on those obituaries!
Seriously, Google "deaths in your state 50 years of age and under". Then do the the same for over 60 & under 79. It won't seem so scary for you anymore.
It's all just statistics so make peace with your Lord and don't worry When it will happen
 Sacred_Cows
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/14/2009 4:41:26 PM
This thread has been so uplifting. I now know I am 4 years past my expiration date. Mahalo
 SueCat51
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 4:47:15 PM
At any age, health is a wild card. My ex hubby died at the age of 39 from a heart attack. There was no warning or symptoms, it was "lights out" in Las Vegas. I think we owe it to ourselves to take the best care of ourselves (emotionally & physically). The way I view death is it is not a bad thing, if the Powers To Be decided to call me home tonight, then so be it. I've lived a good life. What I don't like about death is if one is stuck in a horrible disease and has much pain & suffering to the very end. It's not "when" I die, that raises my eyebrows, it is "how". I hope to be a lucky one and just go in my sleep.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 8:30:30 PM
Sometimes people are predisposed to certian illnesses and sometimes its the diet we growup on, many things may be carcenogenic. People from some countries have much more longevity than ours due to diet.
I had a girlfreind pass away three years ago, age 52 to breast cancer detected to late, she never went in for yearly exams. My best friend passed from asphixiation, age 48 , throat sphincter muscle closed and filled lungs with fluid. Others passed to overdoses. The best diet known is whole foods, grains and limited daily protien. Exersize and get a yearly check up. There are no gaurantees for longevity and good health, but we can do some prevention measures that lead to healthy lifestyle. Its best not to think too much about it just try to live your life and surround yourself with people and things that make you happy. Everyones times come. I realized that when I attended a freinds father funeral and I realized one day I too would be in a box like that, death comes to us all, how we live our life is testimony to who we were.
 12B1350n
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/15/2009 2:36:41 PM
for me i'll stay away from the morning lunch wagon, some of that stuff is from unknown places
so i'll make it a little farther
 GoodmanGreg
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/15/2009 3:03:02 PM
Serenity Sam: Excellent post and excellent advice. It must have been awful losing a gf to breast cancer at such an early age. On Oct 19th, I observe the 2nd year anniversary of the passing of my dear wife Maggie, who died at age 50 of colon cancer. Its changed my whole life in many ways as I still try to cope with the "whys" and "what ifs". But life does go on, and its taking me with it, so I must go on and do my best. Best of luck to all of you.
 moraima
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2009 3:07:23 PM
"many people seem to be dying right around the age of 50"

Get your point OP, but..................my late husband died at 38, my father at 80 after living with cancer for 21 years, and my mother at 90 after refusing surgery.

"With Michael Jackson's recent passing"...................then I will live forever with the comparision in lifestyle.

"family history, drug/alcohol history " Never happened in my world.

"We don't do nearly the amount of physical labor that our ancestors did. "

Speak for yourself.

"We have access to immunizations"
Quick way to die young.

" and some form of healthcare "

Don't get me started on Drs. errors in surgery.

"so, why do people seem to be leaving here in unprecedented numbers at this milestone birthday? "

I intend to get to atleast 90 like my Mother TKU!

If I live past my 90 yrs. , I may end up past my expiry date and have to oft myself due to lack of funds.
 KarenQJ
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/17/2009 4:05:50 PM
SueCat51:
Message 78

Msg 78:

I agree with you 100%.

My best friend just died at age 43 in an accident. He always thought he would die rock climbing, or from his diabetes, but never in an accident. He was in excellent health, ran 30 miles on Saturdays, and 5-10 miles on the remaining weekdays.

Grief is one of those lessons in life I wish I could have bypassed.... and unexpected loss that smacks you on the side of the head and pierces the heart.

I like to remember the words from Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet" ..." You would know the secret of death. But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life? The owl whose night-bound eyes are blind unto the day cannot unveil the mystery of light. If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide unto the body of life. For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one."

I try to live each day as fully as I can not just for myself, but in tribute to him, and the things he taught me, for the life he can no longer live for himself. I like to think that somehow, he still shares in life through my living it. Weird, I know, but it gives me comfort to think that.

As with other posters who have lost someone, wring as much joy as you can out of each day...

BTW, I see we share a love of the outdoors. It's where I find the most peace.
 Tillivet
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2009 7:17:42 PM
Thanks for the post and "wring as much joy as you can out of each day" - sometimes I get buried in the worries. I lost a dear friend to prostrate cancer (gosh it will soon be 3 years) and I miss him dearly. We lived in different states but that did not matter. I talked to his mom today (the 1st time I met her was when I went to see my friend 3 months before he died). She is all that I have left of him, except for what I carry in my heart.
 _Paradoximus_Maximus
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/17/2009 8:33:45 PM
The "milk bottle age" for humans (the age by which we all would have been dead, statistically speaking, in the evolutionary environment) is actually 32 -- so fifty isn't that out of line.... Not withstanding that, a 21st century human should in theory be able to live the proverbial four score and ten --- with modern health care, but that the last ten will normally not be too worthwhile..... Lifestyle, genes and random chance will be the prime determinants.
 10two11
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/17/2009 11:27:48 PM
"many people seem to be dying right around the age of 50"

Well, there are stats on this and they do not support the point you're trying to make...a good thing really.
 Gal_From_NS
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:17:46 PM
I worked for years in cardiac research and the number disease that most people were aware that they had was hypertension. Hypertension is the silent killer because it doesn't show any side effects until it is too late. If you have a family history of hypertension, you should have your blood pressure checked regularly, decrease sodium in your diet (one packet of salt is the daily requirement), watch your weight and eat nutritious meals. It's disheartening to know that more and more teens are being diagnosed with hypertension. I urge everyone who has a family history to learn everything there is to know about this disease. Education is the best line of defence and being aware of what you eat, exercising, decreasing stress are only some ways to decrease blood pressure. Sometimes that's all that is necessary instead of medications. I have seen every age group, both sexes die from not knowing that they had high blood pressure. Make yourself aware of your own body.
 Gal_From_NS
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:23:06 PM
I meant to write "most people weren't aware that they had hypertension.
 HumanPopsicle
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/14/2009 10:58:16 PM
Well, I plan to turn 50 at Sturgis with several thousand of my new best friends, all I have to do is dodge all the usual hazards and a couple thousand miles worth of cagers and I'm golden.

After that? Dunno. That's as far as I've planned ahead.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Death and the age of 50....