Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How long do you wait to delete that number.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 techgirl27
Msg: 17
view profile
History
How long do you wait to delete that number.Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
He has to call 3 times before I will save it, and if I dont hear anything for a week, I delete it. Harsh, maybe, but to keep your ID and number on my phone you have to show me you care.
 TigerinCalifornia
Msg: 18
view profile
History
How long do you wait to delete that number.
Posted: 8/27/2009 7:17:20 PM
I hate it too. I went to dinner with someone I met on POF last Thursday evening and we had a great time, enjoyed dinner and the conversation, walked around arm in arm, even kissed when we got to her car. I sent her a text thanking her for a wonderful evening, sent her a smiley face card on Sunday, got a sweet text from her on Sunday morning, got a thank you card for the one I sent to her, then bam....nothing all week. No answers to my texts, no answers to my email, I even sent her a virtual card to say I was just thinking about you and if she still wanted to do something. I give up. Why would anyone stop all of a sudden with no explanation at all? I just don't get it.
 Helen0426
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/27/2009 7:58:54 PM

Like another poster stated, I'll go through my address book when I'm bored and delete phone numbers. Those numbers I delete are usually people I don't remember!

Same here. Usually I keep everything, but if I see a name and think, "Wait, who's that?", there's obviously no reason to keep it!

But still, something so incredibly final about deleting the number. Hard for me to suck up and do.

Same here again. Partly because you just never know what's going to happen in life. Suppose, say, the nice mechanic with whom it didn't work out remembers, six months later, that I am friends with a lawyer, when a friend of his needs one. My lawyer friend might be able to get his car fixed in exchange for some advice to the mechanic's friend. I'd be happy to introduce them. But I wouldn't recognize the digits alone and so probably wouldn't pick up. That's just a hypothetical example, but I have talked with former dates for reasons unrelated to dating.
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2009 2:30:08 AM
I always keep them. That way when they call weeks/months/years later (and they always do!!) I won't answer out of curiosity not recognizing the number - I'll have fair warning before I decide to answer or not =)
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/29/2009 8:24:17 AM
Whenever I realize that they've in fact, disappeared.
 *army mom*
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/29/2009 9:24:38 AM
3 days. Yes, I said 3 days. If I at least get a text, they get an extra day. If I don't hear a voice ... *POOF* they're gone. They're just a number if they call again. And I don't answer numbers I don't recognize.

BlueApples77
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2013 11:24:13 AM
48 hours from their last response to you. It doesn't take but a few seconds to say: hey, sorry been busy. No one is that busy that they can't respond at all. Don't keep calling or sending them messages. And you damn sure don't ask what you did wrong. The answer is nothing. If they were a decent person of any kind. They'd at least say this isn't working for me or something of the sort. If they have phone issues. There are other ways to get at you. Never lose your self respect over a flake. 48 and skate! Delete and be done. I got one now that has only a few hours till deletion. Things were going seemingly great. She talked as though she couldn't wait to hear from me next. I was drenching her with the charm. No stupid cheesy lines. No sissy talk. Just pure charm. Suddenly, no more response after her goodnight message. I should just delete now but out of respect I'll give her 48 hours. She has about 6 left. If your really hurt by them you can send them a picture of Head & Sholders Shampoo and say this is a flake free zone. Good bye...... Trust me, they might dog you to their friends but inside they'll feel stupid. And they will always remember you for it.
 jdrm
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:42:07 AM
Delete immediately. LOL Only the deserving belong in my phone...which on this site is hard to find. Most recent...guy answers my email and we chat two days....he then proceeds to send me a very nice but shocking message..he says after he already told me he wasnt seeing anyone, that he is not going to continue to talk to me because he has gotten serious with someone. LOL Really? I replied, why bother messaging me then and making a plan to meet? He obviously had already met her...no one meets one night and becomes exclusive that day! I dont get it. the games that are played. If I chat with someone or meet them and for whatever reason I feel they are not for me, I tell them nicely. Never leave anyone wondering or hanging....its just not ok
 jdrm
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:42:57 AM
Agreed... any question I go with my gut and delete.
 bella0800
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:48:27 AM
oh less than 3 weeks especially if you see them online the day after a great date and a promised phonecall. You are the "just in case I find noone that is better" when they call 3 weeks later and you ask "who is this they are not happy" but so it goes
 bella0800
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:50:10 AM
when u delete them soon it shows their unimporatnce in your life
 angellight2091
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 10:05:22 AM
If I go out with a guy and am not interested, I delete him as soon as i get home.. a couple I deleted as soon as I got in my car when the date concluded..

If someone deletes you as their friend on a social network its pretty clear you wont be speaking again...delete..

If I dont speak to someone for a couple weeks, I delete our text messages..
But apparently not the numbers since I just went thru my phone and I have guys names and numbers in there who I dont even know who they are...So I guess I delete guys numbers after reading a post like this... Hope I didnt accidentally delete someone who I kno and is a friend and I just havent spoken to them in a while..
 tnt144
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/21/2013 3:20:27 PM
If you know it's not going to work out, delete immediately.

Otherwise, 2 weeks max.
 grove_22
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/21/2013 3:44:26 PM
When a woman directly tells me she isn't interested. Or when she does the disappearing act and doesn't answer my calls or texts. Usually 1-2 weeks after the last conversation.
 brisco414
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/21/2013 3:50:28 PM
I had this same exact conversation with someone that I'm interested in.

He keeps numbers and I don't see the point why a number is kept. After viewing the text exchange that he shared with me -- a sexual innuendo with one of the women he claims he has no interest in and met once over six months ago, he can't comprehend my lack of trust in wanting to move forward.
 FireCrackerAutum
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/21/2013 3:56:02 PM
If all goes well on the first date, I would keep the number 2 weeks before deleting. I never call a man, so if he wants to see me again, I leave it up to him to contact me. If I enjoyed the date, I will e-mail him and tell him so, but wait for him to make contact again.
 orange_hill
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/22/2013 6:45:36 AM

If I go out with a guy and am not interested, I delete him as soon as i get home.. a couple I deleted as soon as I got in my car when the date concluded..

I wouldn't delete a number that quickly even if I wasn't interested in going out on another date with him. If he contacts me, then I would know who he is and I would tell that I wasn't interested. If he keeps contacting me after that, then I can unread / delete or block.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 8:27:49 PM
If they were duds...immediately. If they were fun...never
 angellight2091
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2013 2:10:03 PM

I wouldn't delete a number that quickly even if I wasn't interested in going out on another date with him. If he contacts me, then I would know who he is and I would tell that I wasn't interested. If he keeps contacting me after that, then I can unread / delete or block. ..

Lol... Oh believe me... They know... One took me out and talked about his 3 adhd kids the whole night.. His ex wife having restraining orders on him, (which were unsupported) and his probabtion officer called during the date to make sure he was attending his appt for anger management the next morning.. then when dropping me at my house insisted on walking me in and when I tried to show him where the highway was to get home, proceeded to close the door and effectively lock me out of my house with no coat or cell phone in stocking feet at 11 at night.. Luckily I knew my daughters number to let me in and she had a key.. Then had the nerve to ask.."Would you like me to wait with you?" NO!!! Please...Just leave..lol..

Another kept rubbing my back and leg and hair while sitting at the bar and grabbing my hands holding them telling me I was too animated... EXCUSE ME??? Then when I told him to please stop touching me, he actually got pissed and sulked the rest of the night ..LIKE A LITTLE KID saying well you dont like me... I finally put my drink down and said.. WOW...Seriously.... This just isnt working for me and left... Yes... You can stop laughing now...lol..

Oh .. And I DID pay for my share of the appetizers and drinks...
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2013 2:18:25 PM
Snakes give me the creeps, but not as much as the guy on your date.
 angellight2091
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2013 2:45:03 PM
Hey TuMuch

Snakes are actually very soft.. like a nice leather coat.. And those were GUYS... Plural...lol..

Oh well.. Im a "the glass is half full kind of person"... Look on the bright side... I have some pretty funny and interesting stories to tell my girlfriends... ;))
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/20/2013 12:38:01 PM

I dont store number either unless I am talking to so many guys that I cannot remember who is who I know that sounds bad but :p

So many, I have to save them by name and the date that I met them lol. So I can refer to my planner for the details if I'm following up or they are texting me.

I cannot believe no one has mentioned Google Voice. I'll let you google it....lol

You don't have to worry about saving the number or butt dialing, or ever getting a phone call or text from anyone undesirable. The app allows you to block people from calling you or texting you. When they attempt to call, they will hear a recording stating the number is disconnected and they won't be able to leave a voicemail either. When they text you, it automatically goes into a spam folder and does not show up on your inbox.

In essence, you can delete the number right after you block it. The app remembers the number as a number, not as a contact. You get rid of all the headaches!

con: you can't send pictures and your google voice number does not show up on their end when you call. You can always e-mail pics instead (I don't subscribe to the idea of sending additional pictures), and text before calling so they know its you.

Safety above all.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/20/2013 2:57:33 PM
I delete after 3 days with out contact. I delete immediately if they get perverted too soon. Racist remarks gets them deleted along with any hint of lying.
 35brock
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/20/2013 7:21:41 PM
Right after they tell me that they aren't interested. Or if I haven't heard from them within a week.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How long do you wait to delete that number.