Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why do most people think aliens are friendly?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LeCutter
Msg: 33
Why do most people think aliens are friendly?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
First off, just because were really - for all intents and purposes - getting our scientific legs under us doesn't mean that things like superluminal speeds, folding space, et al, are impossible or even improbable. In the grand scheme of things it wasn't that long ago we were worshipping fire and rivers and trees. Hell, flight was all but an "impossibility" in our (great) grandparents lifetime. Going to the moon? Riiiight. And even what we know on the Relative and Quantum side of things is constantly being revised and updated. Yes, we lack the the knowledge, tools, and means - currently, but when has science moved forward with such speed as it has in the last century? I wish we'd all be around for the next several centuries because even within the next one there will be things we dreamed impossible right now.

And supposing there's a super-advanced species that can travel the universe like we go across town doesn't neccesitate there isn't anything we have they don't want or need? What if it's us? Slaves? Impractical? Sure, but maybe they're just jerks. Maybe it's for nothing else than entertainment value because they're bored. Maybe we have a few elements on the periodic table that are hard to get elsewhere.

Ever see that Twilight Zone where the aliens show up and express their dismay about constant conflict, and the UN goes to town and announces world peace? Then the aliens state we misinterperted what they were saying. How they were looking for a warlike races to use as shock troops and how we let them down, and therefore decide to wipe us out as a failure.

I'm just saying that aliens exist and they're not all ETs or Prot and they may be Aliens or Predators who are just fine with kicking our asses for sport or otherwise, so it may not be the wisest course to be announcing ourselves to the universe as cosmic tree huggers welcoming everyone with open arms.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 34
Why do most people think aliens are friendly?
Posted: 7/11/2009 9:15:01 PM
No idea. "Friendly", "friendliness" is a social concept human species developed, label wise, over thousands of years, and those as a result of helping behaviours developed 10s of thousands of years ago...up to 200 thousand. So who knows, an alien species might not have had the use for helpful or cooperative behaviour throughout thier species history. It could just be all for one and one for all. They might not be social creatures at all.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/12/2009 4:01:00 PM
Thank you. I do have my moments. Rare, but they do occur.
 Mikezt
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/12/2009 10:26:24 PM

Imagine you're the Predator aliens for example. Wouldn't that just be an open invitiation to come in and enslave and/or wipe us out? I'm sure there are probably a lot of advanced, peaceful Starman/ET kind of aliens out there, but they can't all be friendly.

What do you think the odds are that a completely alien civilization, even more advanced than us, would be able to understand that recording and know what it means?
 Unkillable Monster
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/12/2009 11:01:20 PM
I believe there are many different groups of Extra Terrestial beings.

As there are good people and bad people, There is good ET and bad ET.

You can't use watch a movie and accept that it's a movie based on research. It's entertainment.

You want information on the truth behind our existence? It's out there, You have to look in the right place and shuffle through the disinformation and the true information in front of your eyes.

I believe the good ET's are actually peaceful beings who value science, life, agriculture, technology.

I believe BAD ET are reptilian like creatures that would end up abducting humans for their own personal evil experiments with no desire of returning that person.
 yna6
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/13/2009 8:55:14 AM
Why should they be "reptilian"? Ever see the Star Trek (from Voyager) episode where they found a reptilian culture that "may" have originated on earth? From dinosaurs? Who were ok?
Perhaps the real scary mnsters out there are more like the Borg.
Those things scare the h3ll out of me.
If we can imagine it, then we may be able to find answers for ourselves. Say we did run into a race and it turned out that some people thought it was "too good to be true!" (Check out "V"...the miniseries...) We may well have a platform on which to build from.
We could always show aliens our SF and tell them we thought about all these things as far as contact was concerned. They might even get a chuckle out of it.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/13/2009 9:04:05 AM

and tell them we thought about all these things as far as contact was concerned

Chances are they wouldn't understand earth languages though.
 Jiperly
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/13/2009 9:54:44 AM
Sure they could- haven't you seen Star Trek.....or Wars.....or Gate......or Craft....all those aliens were polite enough to speak not only an Earth language, but ENGLISH- the way it should be.

If I get abducted by aliens, and they start speaking to me in French, I'd be horribly offended, and would have to bring their entire species down with my germs....
 yna6
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/13/2009 11:56:25 AM
With all the noise we have been beaming off this planet...I would bet that any culture that has been monitoring or even accidentally picking up a communications wave could (has) already some inkling of our various languages. If not, perhaps a crew member who is good at languages. Our own early explorers used to have crewmen that spoke several languages...some even went so far as to find specific people as translators or language consultants.
Couldn't see why an alien culture wouldn't do the same. Even the haughty British Empire had to have translators in their employ...until enough of the populance could speak English well enough to conduct business. Even today, English IS the internationally recognized language of business. So...any alien culture would probably latch onto that as a "standard" language.
Even for the phrases "Surrender or else" or perhaps "Take me to your leader"....they'd need some way to communicate. And starting talking always gives a politician an edge....
 Alli_oop
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/13/2009 12:10:16 PM
Sure they could- haven't you seen Star Trek.....or Wars.....or Gate......or Craft....all those aliens were polite enough to speak not only an Earth language, but ENGLISH- the way it should be.

hmm, good point. lol
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/13/2009 12:15:51 PM
I just find it an interesting thing in the human psyche how people envision what an alien species would be and how it would act with us.

I think it says alot more about us, than it does about our interpretation of what an alien is going to be.

A lot of things that 'aliens' do in those sci-fi films to humans, we do everyday to animals. We villify aliens as they regard us as insects and destroy our habitats while they harvest our planet for their own goals.

Like a poster said before me, sounds a lot like ourselves. When some dude swats a fly in his backyard, nobody regards that guy as an evil ego-centric being displaying depravity to life.

Yet in movies, these aliens are portrayed doing just that to us, and these aliens are intended to be evil vile beings. The irony makes me laugh. This all coils back to the old axiom that people fear what they don't understand. The idea of a sentient being not from this world with technology and a complex society scares us. It questions our idealogy that we are the dominant species, that we are different than animals because we have all those things.

What if some infinately technologically advanced society regards us as nothing more than mosquitos - animals? Sure we'd regard them as evil - I think it's a deep seeded instinct that all creatures possess - To be on top of the food chain and to resist and be hostile to anything that challenges us. We're all animals. There's no such thing as an organism that is above nature.
 yna6
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/13/2009 1:19:23 PM
Reminds me of "Battlefield Earth"...where mankind is thought of as more a pest than anything...to be hunted for sport and basically exterminated while the "evil aliens" harvest the natural resources for their own ends.
Of course we could be used as a food source...or perhaps for biological or medical research...like we use certain animals to make serums and drugs for our own health. Or as slaves...although man doesn't make that good a slave. In the end he always rebels.
Trade partners maybe? Cannon fodder for far off wars? A "new" species to be exploited or brought into the fold of a "galactic gov't"? Many different possibilities.
 Dr Fakullo B.
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/13/2009 7:01:09 PM
ET people may have a higher intelligence, most likely. After all, they got here, and we haven't got there, when they indeed will have got here. Unless they are already here, which sort of case in point. I heard from space travellers that mollusks and the platypus are a space-race, as well as llamas and gods, such as the Lama.

ET people may be any of human, humane, humanists, humanistic, humanoid, humongous. Or maybe not. We don't know. Either is possible, it's too early to commit to one or the other belief.

Because something is not human, it can still have characteristics of humans, such as being a sentient being, able to think logically, have emotions. These are process-tools developed randomly during evolution, which has served us well to propagate the race and outnumber our ideal target population size. If some race got here, with or without sympathetic feelings for us, they are also over-populating their globe. If they colonize here and want to co-operate, or else if they colonize and want to enslave us or annihilate us, they have intention, which is very much almost like conscience and a working model of what "soul" is.

I think it very likely that the non-human aliens will be rather like humans, though by definition they cannot be human. Unless you change your definition of what's human -- or create one, as I don't think we have one yet. Actually.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/13/2009 10:26:13 PM

If there are any intelligent aliens out there, they cannot cross interstellar distance any more than we can.

And you know this because........?

The impossibility of exceeding the speed of light is a fundamental part of the structure of the universe itself, not something that can be overcome by technology.

As far as you know. That's the kind of pseudo scientific arrogance that turns a lot of people off. Ten years ago, I would have thought it impossible to regrow a severed digit. Science has now done it. Landing on the moon was thought impossible at one time until it was done. At one time, people believed the earth was flat until they learned otherwise. Just because YOU don't understand how it can be done means that it can't be done? Utter rubbish.

Some say that humans are smarter than animals because we are able to contemplate our own death.

And humans have learned to kill each other for sport or for power or greed. Animals don't. Now tell me again which is smarter? The animal kingdom which, as varied as it is, having learned to live with each other in balance and harmony or mankind who really hasn't evolved much on the spiritual end that has learned how to bomb each other into obvlivion?

Given that their technology would have to be far more advanced than what we can only dream about, one could only hope that they would be beyond the destruction of another species.

If they weren't, I doubt we would exist.

PS: Aliens use telepathy to communicate. They don't need radio waves and they don't need languages as we know them in order to communicate. That's why SETI is a waste of time. Looking for radio waves of an alien Burns & Allen show from outer space? That's plain silly.
 Jiperly
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/13/2009 10:46:54 PM
>>>And you know this because........?

Because of physics. The distances are too great to travel. If you wish to challenge this claim, please, by all means- explain what and where we got wrong with our understanding of physics.

>>>That's the kind of pseudo scientific arrogance that turns a lot of people off.

And I'm sure he can't sleep at night because our understanding of the universe doesn't turn a lot of people on. There's nothing "pseduo scientific" about our understanding of physics. We have come to our conclusions on physics through the use and application of science as we understand it. Your claims, having no actual scientific basis other than your own aversion to accept what others have spent their lives carefully studying and measuring because it challenges your preconceived notions, however, is pseudo scientific.

Granted, our understanding of the universe could be wrong- but just because you've convinced yourself it must be wrong doesn't make it so, and your conviction doesn't make what you believe any more scientific. And our observations of the universe and the physics behind it clearly show that, no, it is not possible to go faster than the speed of light without using all the energy in the universe.

>>>Just because YOU don't understand how it can be done means that it can't be done?

So show us how it can be done- I hear the Nobel people give a million bucks along with their peace prize.

You want us to disregard our own observations while considering it arrogant to ask "whats wrong with them?"

>>>And humans have learned to kill each other for sport or for power or greed.

Animals kill for sport or territory. This is nothing man is unique to.

>>>Now tell me again which is smarter?

Well, we've managed to triple our lifespan in the last hundred years- as much as I respect those squirrel in my yard, I don't think they're that smart.

But if you feel they are our superiors, the real question is, why are you living as you are? Why don't you follow the conviction you are condemning others for not following, and go back to the jungles for a "smarter" lifestyle?

>>>The animal kingdom which, as varied as it is, having learned to live with each other in balance and harmony or mankind who really hasn't evolved much on the spiritual end that has learned how to bomb each other into obvlivion?

Animals do not create this balance out of care for a balance- and if they could, they wouldn't maintain it either. Unless you believe that Wolves would willingly starve themselves despite being able to get a meal, because they want to create a "balance" in nature?

>>>PS: Aliens use telepathy to communicate.

And you know this because........?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/14/2009 8:15:55 AM

And humans have learned to kill each other for sport or for power or greed. Animals don't. Now tell me again which is smarter? The animal kingdom which, as varied as it is, having learned to live with each other in balance and harmony or mankind who really hasn't evolved much on the spiritual end that has learned how to bomb each other into obvlivion

And animals kill for territory, food, the ability to mate...whales kill smaller whales, apparently for sport. Bottlenose dolphins participate in abduction and forced copulation.

The "noble savage" attribution given to the natural world is not only inaccurate, it misses the point. Humans are animals. We just have better tools.

Aliens use telepathy to communicate. They don't need radio waves and they don't need languages as we know them in order to communicate. That's why SETI is a waste of time. Looking for radio waves of an alien Burns & Allen show from outer space? That's plain silly.

Hunh!? Really. And have they been "communicating" with you?

I think SETI, a non-profit non-governmental scientific endeavour, is going to have far more chance of detecting alien life than someone sniffing patchouli and "channeling" some alien friend from the Pleiades.
 midnitesmoke
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/14/2009 9:39:27 PM
They must be friendly...they've had plenty of time to wipe us out and they haven't yet... From a strategic point of view, it would be more practical to level an army when its most advanced weapon is a wooden club, not a 600 kiloton nuke.
 Dr Fakullo B.
Msg: 51
Posted: 7/15/2009 12:43:10 PM
Midnite smoke. You say that the aliens are friendly because they haven't come here, annihilated us, reduced our livestock and cropland to dangerously low levels, used up most water that's useful, created less and less favourable atmospheric conditions for life, destroyed the ozone layer, farted up the place, helped increase the area of deserts, changed climate, and been in the process of reducing the number of distinct species on Earth one-by-one until all are gone.

I think you just gave humans a definition of a hostile ET race.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/15/2009 2:16:14 PM
No. I think he's talking about cow flatulence.
 Dr Fakullo B.
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/15/2009 8:59:12 PM
"No. I think he's talking about cow flatulence. "

Bluesman, are you talking about my post? If you are, why are you using third person singular? You think I am a dolt and won't notice you're talking about me behind my back right in front of me?

If you are, I demand an apology as it is very rude what you have done just now. And I haven't provoked it. Nothing I have said or done would rightfully justify your arrogance. I don't know you, you don't know me, so please, give each person, including me, the proper respect they deserve.
 kpooks
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 6:58:08 AM
Just like the human race, I'm sure there are friendly and unfriendly extraterrestrials.
 yna6
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:29:31 PM
What do you mean the possibility of a visit is almost zero? Never see a UFO? Try gong to the air show in Mexico City...almost every year a UFO shows up there, seen by thousands and photographed. They DO exist...so maybe we are already being visited.
Probably some anthropology students getting material for their thesis.."Primitives and their feeble attempts to emulate civilized societies."
We ARE way out on the arm of the galaxy....I DO mean the boonies. Who the heck would want to colonize way out here where it takes far too long to go anywhere else?
Of course, being this far out COULD spell somethng else...like we are one of the older societies...because races haven't had time to rise ,closer to the galactic core. Probably not though....considering the dinosaurs were here a long time and didn't get that far up the brain scale. wonder why mankind did it, and fast too...."divine intervention" Someones "experiment" in genetics and we are still being studied? A "lost" colony? Someones idea of a joke? (I like that last one...so many things would make cosmic sense then!)
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/16/2009 9:24:52 PM

Bluesman, are you talking about my post?

No. I was talking about Midnite smoke - the poster you were paraphrasing.
 Jiperly
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/16/2009 10:37:31 PM
>>>What do you mean the possibility of a visit is almost zero? Never see a UFO?

I'm sorry- so how is people being unable to identify a flying object evidence of aliens in any way, shape or form? That's evidence of ignorance, not evidence of aliens in our skies.

>>>Try gong to the air show in Mexico City...almost every year a UFO shows up there, seen by thousands and photographed.

A few years ago, Rockstar Games came out with the game "Grand Theft Auto San Andreas", in which they attempted to recreate a slice of Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas, as well as a huge chuck of woodlands and desert inbetween these cities.

And you know what happened? During peoples treks through these virtual woodlands, people claimed to have seen a virtual Bigfoot. Now, Rockstar has always denied it, despite proudly admitting to putting in virtual UFO's in the desert, and hackers, in an attempt to silence the questions, hacked into the game and examined the code, and found no Bigfoot. And yet, every year, you hear of fresh accounts of people claiming that Virtual Bigfoot exists in the game.

I find this to be the perfect analogy to what you are preaching- that even with the code infront of them, in a universe where nothing can exist outside of this unbreakable code of laws, people still claim to see the impossible.

>>>They DO exist...so maybe we are already being visited.

Again, you're making the leap of "people are seeing things in the sky they are unable to explain" to "aliens are in the skies"

>>>because races haven't had time to rise ,closer to the galactic core.

closer to the galactic core is a giant black hole. The closer you are, the slower time passes. So this kind of conjecture is moot.
 Jiperly
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/17/2009 10:28:52 AM
>>> I bet more money has been plowed into war and weaponry than any scientific endeavor.

In 2008, the budget for military applications in the United States was at approx 717 Billion. The budget for NASA in the same year was approx 17 billion. So yea- over 42 times the ammount is spent on the military than is spent on space exploration.

>>>So the chance for sentient life when all the conditions are right is one in millions.

More accurately, Trillions, since there are untold numbers 0f extinct species- its believed that 99.9999% of all life that was once on Earth is now extinct(natural extinction)
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why do most people think aliens are friendly?