Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why do most people think aliens are friendly?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RussArtLover
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Why do most people think aliens are friendly?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
People are silly. We project our desires on our pets and they are friendly, until you die and they eat you.

Take 500 human embryos to an abandoned island. Raise them to adulthood with artificial intelligence (say age 10) they would all be super geniuses by our standards. By the time they were 20 they'd own the planet and redesigned it to they're satisfaction.
Why do most people think aliens are friendly?
Posted: 1/26/2013 4:33:10 PM
Two quick fun points:

- I always thought it odd when someone assumes that technological advancement goes hand in hand with benevolence. I don't think that an extra terrestrial race being far superior technologically automatically has anything to do with their morality or policies. Imagine if something similar to Nazi Germany, or the catholic church, or islam, etc, succeeded in conquering their planet, and succeeded in surviving as a political structure...and then comes knocking on our solar system's door to say howdy.

- That life and "intelligence/civilization" can exist in many places in our galaxy might be plausible...but consider this: There is one planet that is the first to have it. (if there was two or three etc at relatively the same time, that's beside this point) SOMEbody had to be the first. What if we won (or lost) this lottery? What if we are the first to have some life, intelligence, and civilization, and continue to exist for a said period of time? It might just be that other planets haven't conceived yet, or got started a little later than us and so are behind us in being able to either communicate or be detected.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/27/2013 12:57:26 AM

After 2 steps forward,we always step back...we never walk,so how the hell we gonna fly? lol

Actually, that's basically it -- as far as progression's concerned. Where's the flying cars? Why is now the fellow super-country's main city's smog so freaking horrible that everyone's a smoker or has asmtha [sic]?

It's the concept of everything we see in the future is not what we'd predict. It follows the path of our cultures. People want to disregard that and assume a formulating civilization's planet (and society) will likely go toward progression toward Star Trek. Not so fast my friends. That's not how things roll. We don't go out to dominate the deep seas, yet there's tons of life form out there. We do what we do in our own comfort zones. And we're also very very fallible -- why would anyone assume not the same with other high-level beings elsewhere? It's all about limited time and the aim down the road of their progression -- however long that lasts.

2 steps forward. One step back. At least. If "God" gave us the ability to scour every place out there, we'd see other life forms -- but we'd also see how dominating your own real environment totally supersedes dominating other foreign ones which are not so feasible by nature's law, nor an innate drive being so common at all (beyond wonderment) to do so.

Yes, one would be an idiot to think that in the whole Universe that there wouldn't be another group of high-level beings, during the god-knows-how-many billions of years it lasts. But to assume that they last so long and so dedicated to be Star Trek like, even with great intelligence, is wishful thinking. In the end, there's little or no benefit. Because if you can, there's not a need to be "dominant" over other places. It's just a National Geographic endeavor... which is highly likely contained within their own solar system.
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/27/2013 11:29:24 AM
When the aliens get here, they won't be what we would term 'friendly'.

Yes, they will wipe out cancer, alzheimers, mental illness, crime, hatred, bigotry, and Lindsay Lohan.....

But then, they'll announce that since we are considered to be the most violent, hateful, narcissistic, superstitious, petty, waste of a species in the entire universe - they intend to vaporize our sorry asses into dust and make this planet the newest 4D Extreme CineMark Theater....
Posted: 1/28/2013 3:51:36 PM

I think they would be friendly because they have had longer to exist as a society and develop morals. It's silly to think that an advanced society would be more interested in mindless destruction than being curious and communicating with new forms of life such as humanity.

The problem here is...what do you mean by "advanced society"? And what assumptions are you making about that society just because they're "advanced", compared to us, of course, which is the key. Advanced in what way?
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:49:24 AM

We're not so advanced when we share things in common with insects.

And even less so when our behavior is inferior to insects.

I've never seen an ant burn another ant to death, or tell another ant they're going to hell for being gay....
 RussArtLover
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2013 11:04:18 AM
I think the prime motivation for an ultra advanced civilization coming here would be curiosity. If they were emotional the first thing they would feel would be pity. If they were pure intellect they would see ordered communities. If they were militant they would see danger. It's kind of a random thing, overthrowing an evil king, setting up a democracy or some benevolent society once that king is in place. If the aliens have lifespans of thousands of years then toppling a king like that would be even harder. Default analysis: hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Even if some benevolent aliens drop in to help out now and then, that evil king may find us some day.
 CureCurious
Msg: 77
Posted: 1/29/2013 11:59:00 PM
Because... I AM friendly!!!

Yeah, a lot of people do think I'm an alien.
 MrShoesnchocolate
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/30/2013 11:22:57 AM

Something else to consider about the whole "are they friendly?" question is if they're already here but keeping their presence covert

HAHA - as if we - I mean THEY would do that !

( looks nervously from side to side )
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/30/2013 11:31:47 AM

Something else to consider about the whole "are they friendly?" question is if they're already here but keeping their presence covert, how is that anything but worrisome?

That's why I say.....

So don't fear us cheer us if you ever get near us don't jeer us we're fearless
MIB's freezin' up all the flack
"What's that stand for?"
Men...in...Black
uh...eh...
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/31/2013 11:14:36 PM
^^^^^^
"I've never seen an ant burn another ant to death, or tell another ant they're going to hell for being gay...."

How do you spot the gay ones? Do they walk funny or sing showtunes?
 zenpeacelove
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2013 4:40:28 PM
I saw strange light travelling across the sky once when I was a kid that started moving in a way that I did not think conventional aircraft were capable of. I remember being scared and hiding under the covers. Back then, the thought of aliens wasn't a positive one although I am not sure why. Maybe a "War of the Worlds" concept of aliens was in my mind.
Now, I fervently hope that a civilization that has achieved space travel, would hopefully be advanced enough that the destroying or conquering another planet would not be on the "to do" list, and "bring peace and helpful technology" would.
 jed456
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2013 4:48:25 PM
A big if most people think of E.T. Personally if there is intelligent life in the universe capable of traveling across millions of miles why would they make contact? "Looking down on earth" They get to see pollution,war,murder,child abuse,wife beating and the destructivness of mankind. Do you really think there going to stop and say hi?
Posted: 2/2/2013 6:10:00 PM
A UFO landed once to say howdy, got car-jacked and mugged, got a ticket for not using its turn-signal, and another ticket for not having their insurance verification, and then was approached by two religious teenagers on bicycles who wanted to tell them about some guy called joe smith.

They are not friendly anymore. The word has went out across the galaxy to stay away from Earth.
 jed456
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2013 7:35:13 PM
^^^^^^LOL That was pretty good!
 CureCurious
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/2/2013 8:09:17 PM
:)
Through the Milky Way
In my spaceship
At the speed of light
I'm gonna make it
I know you've been expecting me
Turn on the cameras take another scene.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B362ZMWNVg
 Proteaus
Msg: 86
Posted: 2/6/2013 4:32:11 PM
Actually if aliens were to come to planet earth , obviously they would be much more advanced . If were lucky , maby they would view us as useful beasts of burden . Only reason I can think of aliens arriving is to take our most valuable resource , water .
Posted: 2/7/2013 12:30:33 AM

Only reason I can think of aliens arriving is to take our most valuable resource , water

Any E.T. able to come to Earth and take our water...would be capable of getting water by other means, much easier, like from the Oort cloud of a system where there is a whole lot more water than on Earth.
 mark777771
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2013 7:09:47 PM
aliens might not even have a word for friendly
Posted: 2/8/2013 3:17:20 PM
^ ^ ^ Of course they would. Because if it's aliens, plural, meaning more than one of them, then socializing or cooperating would have been a dynamic in some sense. The concept would have come up, even if they're not friendly.
 mark777771
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 4:27:26 PM
Well, maybe I need to clarify some. Lets an alien species in it's evolution hasnt had a need for friendly or even good or bad, right or wrong. You're making an assumption based on our limited knowledge and evoluation compared to a species who is billions of years ahead of us. Its feasible that how they interact is so archaic and foreign to us we cant comprehend it. Its like explaining quantum mechanics to prehistoric man. Im making the assertion that their ability to think and communicate is so far beyond our limited abilities. You make the assumption that "friendly" or "unfriendly" serves a purpose in their existance.
Posted: 2/9/2013 1:41:38 AM
^ ^ ^ What a very weird way to stray off in a direction that goes into the twilight zone...conversationally.

1 - The conversational context is aliens, plural, and "advanced" aliens, as in those able to come to Earth.

2 - The strange assumptions-allegations:
a) ...a species billions of years ahead of us - It's a pretty good "assumption" that a species billions of years ahead of us would have thought up the concept of "friendly". What's a weird assumption is that it's remotely a reasonable possibility that they haven't.
b) ...friendly or unfriendly serving a purpose in their existence - I don't see anywhere where I've assumed that it serves a purpose for them. But what I did mention is that they probably have thought of the concept of "friendly", and that it has, even if it doesn't still, been a dynamic of their life, whether it served/serves a purpose or not. That's all.

3 - The fact that a species might interact in a way that is so archaic and foreign to us, or their ability to think and communicate is far beyond our limited abilities to comprehend it, is quite irrelevant and not a factor, and not connected at all, to what we're talking about at the moment...so it's wierd that you'd mention this.
 slybandit
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/11/2013 7:25:08 AM
The more I think about the premises of this whole discussion, the weaker they seem.

1. The jokes about "illegal aliens" are funny, in part, because of what they come very close to unintentionally revealing that our entire concept of "aliens", "E.T.'s" and so on, is a (post-)colonial idea. There is a good reason why you first see the idea articulated by authors such as Jonathan Swift and others of his era.

The entire idea is a product of colonialism, in which more technologically advanced human cultures invade, enslave, colonize, rule over, etc. less technologically advanced human cultures. The idea of "aliens" is driven by the anxiety produced by that sort of behavior: "we" conquer other groups, does not that not mean that "out there" there are other groups which could or would do the same to us? This "humans-in-suits" concept of hypothetical extra-terrestrial species is funny precisely because THAT is exactly what it is. You might as well put the aliens in 1770's British Army redcoats, maybe some 19th Century pith helmets for good measure, and have done with it.

2. Human beings are nearly unique on this planet in having intra-species in-group altruism coupled with out-group deadly hostility. Male humans especially naturally form hierarchical small group bands in which extreme (to the point of literally suicidal) altruism towards members, is found in tandem with lethal hostility to outsiders or competing groups. Very few species on Earth do this *at all*. Humans do it, chimpanzees do it, wolves and wild dogs do it, and that comes pretty close to completing the list.

"Warfare" is a very rare behavior even on this planet. It is at least quite possible that "aliens", if any ever did exist, simply would not understand the concept. And if they ever even had "technology" as we understand it, and they were to observe us at all, they may be both stunned *and* terrified. Rather than looking to wipe us out or enslave us, they might be incapable of understanding *either* idea, or even why we would do such things.

This is not just a question of technology. Humans "weaponize" basically everything they discover; a species whose psychological makeup was totally different from ours might be incapable of doing that.
 mark777771
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2013 8:12:03 AM
the topic is and was "why do most people think aliens are friendly." I think my thoughts are quite related. You think I make "strange assumptions." I understand the problem now. You cant think outside the box. Billions and billions of planets streaming with life. Billions of avenues and directions for life to evolve. And you in your infinite wisdom think their communication and socialization has to resemble ours? Again, they might not even have the word friendly in their vocabulary. And who are you to dictate where this discussion ends?
Posted: 2/12/2013 1:04:35 AM
Eew. Houston, we have another one. Doh!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why do most people think aliens are friendly?