Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jacob8088
Msg: 71
What are your messaging ratio's?Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
^^^Putting a wink or icebreaker feature would definitely be a good idea. Which is something they should have done a long time ago.
 barbee1970
Msg: 75
What are your messaging ratio's?
Posted: 9/28/2009 8:10:22 AM
Ok I have 1 guy who asks me "what's going on" every so often.

Trouble is he does not answer my messages when I reply.
I send 3 to his 1 --3/1 Not all at once but over the time in between his e-mails

I've stated time and time again I don't chase. If he does not show interest or he cannot make time out of his day to respond, I move on.

I'm not doing all of the talking I don't care how much I like someone, sorry.
 friendofcanine
Msg: 76
Posted: 9/28/2009 8:24:06 AM

Been on here for about two weeks. Have recieved about 4 pages of random email from various women.

4 pages?! Did you say 4 pages? That's an awful lot of eager women waiting for the chance to throw your moving car into park, buddy.
 SleepyMcGee
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2009 12:06:38 PM
I've sent probably 10 messages and gotten replies to all of them.

I've received about the same.

About 80% of those have turned into MSN contacts. About half of that have turned into dates.

Have only received one (from a complete psychopath) since I changed my profile content to what it currently is.
 TheyCallMeMrAwesome
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/28/2009 12:34:13 PM
oddly enough, I've been sending less messages as time goes and saying no to what I get unless i'm really interested, I changed my requirements etc and when i put that I'm in the military, because i am) I go more messages, so not sure what is going on, before joining army, sent out TONS of messages, and now that I'm leaving in the next month I AM getting messages. it's odd
 robfish
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/29/2009 12:01:07 AM
I haven't sent a first contact message for over a year. I find it easier to reply to women that message me first because interest has already been established and I don't fall into the trap of sending out a contact message that comes across as awkward due to my shyness.

I would get about a 50% response rate to messages I sent out during my first year on this site. As for messages received, i've been getting about 2 new contacts per month. It gets a bit weird at times because you can go almost all month with an empty inbox and then the messages come rushing in all at once.
 sddude
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2009 11:57:08 PM
Oh have been here 3 years sent hundreds of messages like 1 message a month of someone interested but they do not show up or disappear. I think I write good introduction messages, not little one liners.

I guess my ratio is like 150 to 1 hahahaha
 jacob8088
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/1/2009 11:21:49 PM
LOL This is exactly why I don't send any messages to women. As you can see , the odds are stacked against us..not that I give a shit.
 _Paradoximus_Maximus
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/2/2009 6:12:58 PM
Well -- in looking back at over a decade and half of "web dating" profiles -- starting with the "web personals" site in 1994, I don't see very much change in response rates -- regardless of the nature of the profile, its verbiage or site's physical format. I typically send 40 to 50 emails per year and receive some reply to about 20% -- at least 90% of those who do respond indicate no interest. Most of the residual 10% exchange a couple of emails more then vanish. On average I find about one new person per year that continues to chat with me and I lose about one person per year that grows tired of it......

It's relatively consistent -- if not particularity spectacular or dramatic.
 Stormwolf
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2009 10:02:23 AM
Out of every 10 I send I get about 6 replies! Not too bad considering
what I'm reading here. What bothers me is when a female makes you a favorite
then does not respond to a "Thank you for making me a favorite."
I'm completely clueless to why that happens.
 IronmanT
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/3/2009 10:43:05 AM
I guess I must be one of those guys that is not the "threatening type" because generally if I send an email I get a response back. I've had my share of dates that become "friends", a couple have said, your a nice guy but no love connection, a couple are really friends, and some are just in the IM stage, meaning I've asked if they are interested in mutually getting to know each other. I don't know what the percentage would be, and not really too concerned about it. I believe my main concern is if the women on POF are really interested in a relationship or to what extent do they want a long term relationship. Friendships are fine, but it would be nice to find a woman with more to offer than that. So, ONWARD I go into the mysterious world of dating.
 Allycat79
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2009 2:45:40 PM
I have gotten maybe 6 emails from guys.
One I met in person, which didn't turn out the best, but you learn from it.
I've sent probably 15, which haven't gotten a reply back.
 FA780
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/30/2010 9:10:41 PM
I've been a member since the beginning of December (2009) and I've sent about 20 messages. Most have been read/delete. I had a few replies but they weren't anything. I had a date with one I met here but she didn't look anything at all like her pics on here....hence, I wasn't physically attracted to her in real life as I was to her pics on this site. Pics can be very decieving.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/31/2010 3:24:07 AM
I get about 2-5 messages per week from new women. I respond to all but have only responded with interest a couple of times. Usually I respond somewhat neutrally ... they continue writing for a bit and ask to meet or trail off.
I have only ever met three people from this site since October '09.

I have only initiated contact maybe twice and it was with women who checked out my profile or made me a favorite.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2010 8:03:18 PM
i'd say i get about 1 response for every 20 initial emails i've sent.

since most of what i send is a note saying i like their profile, it's not like i'm propositioning anyone.

Vannili
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2010 9:11:16 AM
I responded to all the emails that I recieved ,except to those vulgar emails that I don't know what to say..
My messaging ratio is not bad, I don't get below 3 emails every day.
 sushi0004
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2010 11:16:39 AM
From the above responses, I doubt people will believe this, but I get about 80-90% response rate, but that's including about 25% "I'm flattered but you're not my type" responses.

Then again, I don't send out a whole heck of a lot of messages, and I'm pretty picky about who I send them to as far as them looking very compatable. I also take the time to read their profile and write more than "What's up".

I also get a lot of respnses that say "Thanks for writing! It's refreshing to see someone who took the time to actually write something other than 3 sentences about "I like doing stuff" in their profile"..

Point being that if you are having a low return, it may be because you aren't putting enough out there...
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 117
Posted: 2/6/2010 12:45:38 PM
My response rate is usually about 40%.

Pretty close to 50% sometimes. Sometimes it's really low, though. There's no telling when it will be what.

That said, of the ladies who respond back, most of them get rejected within an email or two.

::shrug::

-8sf8
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/6/2010 12:57:30 PM
You have to give us a time frame because it is not known whether that would be normal or not, was this in a week, month, year, etc. Also, people have other shit going on and timing is everything. Also, dry season is holiday time. I guess for women same could be true for Super Bowl weekend.
 Mitch529
Msg: 120
Posted: 2/24/2010 12:48:36 PM
Well I typically try to contact maybe 20 girls a month on average, if I'm lucky at least 1 will reply. But during the course of a month, on average I'll say I get about 3 messages, and 98% of the time they're from girls that are too, umm, large for me. I wish them lots of happiness, but it's just not my thing.

I used to mssg men first this way I could pick out my taste in men.,at least according to their pic and profile(and now I l know how deceptive that can be) Mostly I got responses. Nothing ever panned out. Now I wait to get messaged, and usually when I get messaged, it is by someone I would not get along with.
I used to respond to every message, Then I noticed some one who had messaged me before that gave me the same line ( he didn't reply back after I responded to him the first time). At that point I decided that I won't respond unless some one is interesting at least a little bit.
Op if you message, "hi how are you?" don't be surprised if you don't get a response

No offense, but if you're interested in him then start a conversation. I personally don't really know what to talk about just by reading a girl's page, which generally only contains non-diverse information; so I stick with the basics (movies, music, school, etc.). I'm not a mind-reader and it would be nice if the ladies contributed a little. Like instead of just answering a question, why not add some input or ask your own questions?

Is my bitterness showing? lol. Sorry, my post was more general than specific.
 chrisjax64
Msg: 123
Posted: 3/11/2010 6:34:01 AM
I recieve about 3-5 new messages per day. I also send out about 5 new messages a day. I do respond to every single message I receive.

I usually have a question or find something interesting in their profile and ask them about that. Most do respond back.
 EGJV
Msg: 129
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:49:21 AM
I've only got one reply that lead to a nice convo and phone # that lead nowhere. I suppose I've sent at least 50 messages (not counting comments on profiles or some such). So probably 50:1 to 100:1.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 131
Posted: 3/12/2010 1:19:26 AM
I've gone on dates with a few women from this site, and I get about a 40% return ratio on my emails.

If I send out 20 emails, I'll get 8 back. It varies from week to week, month to month, but that's the average.

I get emails from women I've never contacted as well.

Not too bad. The caliber of women on here seems to be a bit lower than other sites, though.

-8sf8
 zangie
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2010 10:19:52 AM
I gotta figure that the bigger problem may be that ther aren't enough really hot, or 9 or 10 women to go around,. first of all, because there are fewer of them, ( and they can be choosier if they want)secondly, because men do way out number women online, not just on here...and most men, especially younger guys..that's what they want...

I can only go by myself, and I am not in that category...but, I write guys with no pic all the time, what they do for a job isn't as important as that they are self supporting, and they are at least in the neighborhood of my income, I answer all polite emails, even if I'm not interested, and the pic, if they have one..is just the first impression...I always read the profile...and the way a guy is is more important in the long run...

Maybe it is my looks, my age, or just my personality...but, I treat all men with respect...unless they disrespect me first...I have trouble believing I am one of a kind?

I don't initiate emails as often as I get contacted..but, when I do...it is rare for a guy not to write me back, even to politely decline...and I NEVER read/delete..unless it was something crude and inapropriately sexual..I think it's rude, and unkind...and cowardly actually...

I agree with the above poster..nothing is worse than negativity..or nasty comments about women in general or American women as a group..wome who do the same are also shooting themselves in the foot..so, online is rough, and there are many pitfalls, and unpleasant things to deal with...but, a person doesn't improve their chances of finding that ONE ( and you only need one) person that makes the difference...by, taking it out on the group of people you are trying to attarct..I could fill my profile with a lot of horror stories and negativity too...but, what would it accomplish? Besides..it just reinforces the bad feelings...

That's my opinion, anyway, take it for what it's worth...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >