Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women's Favorite/Least Favorite Conversation Topics      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 26
Women's Favorite/Least Favorite Conversation Topics Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

Just my opinions

And everyone is entitled to an opinion--even if it is wrong and based on fallacies and misconceptions, and stereotypes.
 arwen52
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Women's Favorite/Least Favorite Conversation Topics
Posted: 12/15/2010 9:14:01 PM

We are not given a limited number of words to use.

Can you prove this to be true? sheer madness woman, of course it is true that we are given a limited number of words. I can proove within a reasonable doubt that this is true. ... LMAO... hehe

We don't run out of words, we run out of time. Big dif.

Women don't enjoy debating the relative merits of monostat 7 versus monostat 3.
I would say that on a first date, it would be wise to steer a conversation away from that subject.

You got that right!

And everyone is entitled to an opinion--even if it is wrong and based on fallacies and misconceptions, and stereotypes.

You're entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts. I have no respect for opinions that are not grounded in reality. I someone wants to believe in stereotypes, misconceptions, and fallacy, I can't stop them, but I'm not going to respect their opinions.
 arwen52
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2010 8:23:43 AM
Isn't that what reality is though? Your reality meaning what you accept and believe is based on your stereotypes you accept, Your misconceptions, and Your fallacy.

There are facts and there are interpretation of facts. Facts are measurable, reproducible, observable.

Stereotypes are concepts and they are not facts. There may be some truth to them but they are limiting.

If you were to tell me you thought the earth were flat, you would lose credibility with me because this is something known to be false. It would tell me that your opinions are not based on known facts, are not the result of careful research or thought. This is the case of most people. They have guy reactions, do not really think about what they are having opinions about, do not take the time to educate themselves or learn even the most basic facts. We used to have a saying about this in construction: "Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up."

I went out with a guy twice who was fond of making blanket statements that he couldn't support. First he told me "our government is being taken over by foreign governments." That's a pretty wild accusation. I asked him exactly what he meant by that. He said he couldn't give any examples. I pressed him. "No, you can't make a statement like that to me without giving me some evidence to support your accusation. That's a pretty big accusation. On what evidence do you base it?" So he started telling me about his friend who lives in New Mexico and there's lots of illegal aliens there. Well, this is not an example of our government being taken over by a foreign government.

Later, he made another wild accusation and when I asked him to give me a specific example, all he could give me was a "what-if" that was not real.

This is an example of what I'm talking about. This guy had some very strong opinions but when asked on what his opinions were based, he had nothing to support them. He totally lost credibility with me. I have absolutely no respect for his opinions.

On the other hand, I have a young friend who, though we are very different in some of our opinions, I respect because his opinions are thought out and reasoned.

This is not caving in to stereotypes.

All opinions are not created equal. Diversity is important but giving equal weight or credence to completely unfounded opinions is not diversity, it's stupidity and it just makes us dumber.
 trinity818
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/16/2010 1:13:38 PM
I must be abnormal. Who came up with these stats? They didn't ask me.

My favorites:
Current events (and I don't mean celebrity news)
Sports
Science fiction
History
Politics
Friends
Music
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Women's Favorite/Least Favorite Conversation Topics