Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you could do it all over again...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ankkka
Msg: 26
If you could do it all over again...Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I'm not dreamer... but I wish do not work...and have enough money for my passions...
and compassion...

But seriously...my passions( when I was younger) were to bring health and smile on poor people faces...in the third world...or anywhere.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 27
view profile
History
If you could do it all over again...
Posted: 8/29/2009 2:39:09 PM
Dreamed, I have, often, about what it would have been like to follow a different path(s). But then reality smacks me up side the head and I realize had that happened I would not be the person I have become: I would have learned different lessons, loved different women, and most importantly, had a different son. Not saying that what might have been would have been worse, but I've lived the life I have and so far it has been exciting enough to hold my interest and yet serene enough that I haven't gone crazy.

As for career choices, I've often thought that I shouldhave stayed in construction. With a business degree. But, coming from a family with a nurse for a mother and a Doctorate in Biology father, my path was initially writ in stone - so I chose biochem. Then, my fascination with " The Six Million Dollar Man" took hold and I earned a graduate degree in BioMedical Engineering. Some of the fun stuff - polymers, electronic sensors, and artificial organs. WooHoo!

Then marriage called, followed by a move and the little podunk towns we liked think a BioMed Eng is the guy that repairs medical electronics, uh, no; so I went into law - specifically Patent and Law. And wouldn't you know it, not much call for Patent Attys where we ended up. But its all good, about that time son hatched so I became a full time dad, with misc. stuff on the side.

Now, son is almost on his own and its time to go back and upgrade the skill set. I'm thinking certification in Mediation combined with an MBA; anybody got input?

TK
{yeah, I know, a lot of education; but someone's got to support our state u's, eh?}
 Ron9
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/29/2009 3:00:39 PM
I don't know, that I would do anything different at all. Maybe have bought a few less boats,cars,motorcycles,toys and such.

Yeah ...... I should have stashed away some money - lord knows I made TONS of money in my life.

I "was" very successful. No ...... not Bill Gates successful but many many many times over what ANYONE anywhere in my family tree ever had been ever.

To the tune of in the upper 2% of money earners in the 70s - 80s - part of the 90s. In the entire world.

Yes ......... it is all gone now lol.

In terms of have/have nots in the world .... I am still internally proud that ...... yes I did "make it". I made it all on my own - no one giving me anything. Not all that proud of not stashing it away but ...... memories of the "fun" money brought.

I also know that I did help many others along in their careers .... helped many companies find that good sales person.

I was a recruiter (exe search) in industrial sales for 35 years. Mostly self employed.

With the out sourcing of American manufacturing ......... I just kind of stopped a few months back.

These days ......... I have some nice toys - decent home - enough income to live on. My mind still goes and digs and learns and finds ways to amuse myself.

All is good.
 katkat53
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 6:31:03 AM
There are a lot of things I would change, but the biggest one would have been to be more tolerant. I believe all the stages of my life have made me the person I am today but always wonder if I had been more open to others and not so quick to judge if my life would have been different.
 wooliepack
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 10:01:03 AM
I went to the most highly accredited technical school in the US after I finished high school, and spent years working in windowless factory buildings.
At age forty, I dumped it all, and went to a trade school, to learn horseshoeing.
It's been fifteen years, and I wish I'd thought of it a lot sooner.
 wooliepack
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 10:06:28 AM
"The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they dream with their eyes open, the better to make it happen."
-- from The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by TE Lawrence
 Molly Maude
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 10:45:40 AM
I always wanted to write the "great American novel" ... so I took classes to improve my writing skills ... I majored in English in college ... minored in Psychology ... honed my skills by writing a great deal ... had quite a few things published ...

but ... unfortunately ...

ahhh gots nothin to SAY! ... ...
 Rythmn
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 10:48:22 AM
my career was everyone' s dream from the outside perspective. it took a lot of work and guts. i eventually get to do what i wish i could have done, so i adopted my teens at age 50. they are my blessings bestowed. that dream took me 45 years to fulfill, having "decided" at age five to do so. sometimes a path gets diverted.

now? wish i had found the love of my life. so, i do my half in finding him. if i could do it over again, theoretically, i'd be with him through the growth years AND we would have stayed together! i don't like the singles scene. but, as with my career, i do the work to get the results. while doing it, i try to dance my butt off and at least have as best a time as i can while getting myself out there.

well, there is always a "higher order" to things. but, i can feel comfortable knowing that throughout, i did the very best i could. part of that time, i did even more than that. i don't sit and whine, nor do i regret. i ponder though.
 DaytonDennis
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 4:02:09 PM
I remember some time ago reading a church "marque" that said "Belief is having the roadmap, Faith is taking the journey". Kinda applies with you, I think and congrats on having the courage/faith to pursue your dream. I think it is almost never too late to make up for past regrets (except my dream of being in the NFL... I think the 6foot, 190 pound, over 50 thing is a bit of a barrier!) Too often we throw in the towel on things we had hoped to accomplish and I include myself in that list. Then again, I hiked the Grand Canyon when I turned fifty, though it took a lot of stair-stepping to get prepped for it.
 OldFolkie
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2009 4:23:06 PM
I was 39 when I retired from an Air Force career. I went back to college, got several degrees and followed a life long dream and became an Archaeologist. Became ill several years ago and had to take a medical retirement, but I don't regret a moment of following that dream.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/30/2009 4:55:05 PM
what would you be when you grow up?

...Well at one time I thought I might become a famous ballerina but after tripping over my own feet a thousand times I realized I lacked the necessary grace and coordination....so that aspiration kinda fell by the wayside.

Then I thought about becoming a model after reading hundreds of "Millie the Model comics books....that is until my older brother burst that bubble...he felt obligated to deliver the fatal news that only females over 5 ft 10 are ever considered in the fashion industry ....I was crushed.

People started telling me I would make a good nurse, so I considered going into the medical field. Not so much after dissecting my first frog....yuck...

Still trying to find my niche' in life

No, actually I'm right where I want to be. This career path was not one I would have chosen...it sorta found me. I work with the under privilaged people of the world.

...maeflowers
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/5/2012 2:51:32 PM
I wouldn't have screwed up , getting my parents pissed off & seen Van Halen w/ Dave in 81....lol
 NCnavetG8r
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 3:50:00 PM
I often wonder what might have been. Then I remember if I'd changed anything at all about how I did things, then my wonderful children would not exist. I wouldn't change that for anything!
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/5/2012 4:45:29 PM
Great question and one I have been asking myself lately. After years of working office jobs and getting nowhere, I decided I am finally ready to work for myself. Starting a business from scratch is daunting but I have discovered there are ways to work for yourself but with corporate support...especially in insurance, real estate or some other independent contractorship.

So I went back to school after the divorce to earn my AA (done!) and was just recently invited to join a local real estate firm. It means more studying for my license and tapping my savings for start-up costs and income while I build a client base, but it is a self-driven CAREER, and not just a job. Plus I get to help people find their dream home...doesn't get much better than that.
 betteroffsingle
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/5/2012 5:53:09 PM
If could go back I would get a degree in psychology, it intrigues me.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/5/2012 7:56:39 PM
^^^You are only 46...what is stopping you? I got my degree in my 40's and if I can, anyone can.
 benelliss
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/5/2012 9:14:39 PM
I'd have finished college a lot earlier, and NOT married that second time, LOL!
And..... probably would have socked away a LOT more for retirement. Never dreamed of $5 a gallon gas!!!
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/6/2012 1:17:49 AM
I have thought about this several times....

I would have given Barry Manilow a run for his money and...written the songs
 Padawan61
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 1:29:21 AM
If you could do it all again, would you choose another career path?

From my experience, it doesn't matter what career path you've chosen ... even if it's self-employment ... you must deal with idiots and morons of the world ... or stupid vendors and demanding customers (as a business owner).

If I had to do it all over again, I would chose to be a career assassin. That way, I can have the job satisfaction of knocking people off.
 WeebitRusty
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/6/2012 9:52:50 AM
I would have gone to university right out of high school instead of going to college at age 30. I'd also have not chosen the numbers field, I'd have studied the mind.

As for marriage, wouldn't have changed a thing. My life was great and still is.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/7/2012 2:48:43 PM
I can't tell you how many times I have wished I could go back in time & given my younger self guidance, love & a hug I needed!
I would have went to college or a trade school for an animal related career. I would have moved out of state in my early 20's, to a warmer climate. Now, at 47, I'm still stuck in Chicago, enduring these brutal winters.
I would still like to go to school for dog grooming, it would be nice to do on the side for some extra cash, but the school is far away, & I'm paying every month for my daughter who is in college full time, maybe after she graduates I'll enroll in the school, who knows.
 betteroffsingle
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/7/2012 5:06:16 PM

^^^You are only 46...what is stopping you? I got my degree in my 40's and if I can, anyone can

$1000 a month tuition fees.
 jrich01963
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/25/2013 8:34:29 PM
I would have gotten degree in aeronautical engineering and become a star trek advisor or become an astrologist and looked for other earths in the solar system.
 Larrysaved
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/25/2013 8:44:57 PM
I wish I studies harder in school and wasn't so immature. BUT I did start in my trade as an Iron worker at 23 and when economy crashed I earned enough pension credits to retire at 53. But never got married ,nor any kids. But in veiw of all the marriage horror stories I've witnessed maybe is was such a bad thing after all. but I still would like to become a husband.
 cesska
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2013 10:25:41 PM
when I was young I applied to be a model at the ford modeling agency
she turned me down
and I never applied anywhere else

next time I would not let one person pop my balloon
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you could do it all over again...