Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you could do it all over again...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JoeBnD
Msg: 51
If you could do it all over again...Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
A high school friend (Kyle MacLachlan) once urged me to take drama; maybe I should have listened, but I really doubt I would have gone very far. I studied to be an electrical engineer and ended up being a computer administrator. With my interest in cars (which I didn't fully explore until I was about 40), my best bet should have been automotive/mechanical engineer.
 batcher
Msg: 52
view profile
History
If you could do it all over again...
Posted: 5/26/2013 6:25:38 AM
I guess I am different I wouldn't change much because my life has been a learning curve.....funny one though...
 NtvNtv
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/26/2013 9:12:51 AM
( ^ ^ )

Yes I would pursue a career in Nursing.

I enjoy my job now however being a R.N. would have been great : )
 m8t
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/26/2013 9:45:16 AM
My life has been one adventure after another, even with the periods of extreme tribulations.
I embrace them all, for they have molded me into the independent, fearless, and empathetic person I am today.
I have lived my dreams, met my goals, traveled through 48 states, lived in 8 (soon to be 9 as Im heading off again...),
raised two daughters, buried both the men I loved, and wiped my tears away to smile with enough hope to carry on.
I wouldnt want to do it all over again. Why live inside a box?

Well maybe I would have had sex with that really hot guy back in the day,
that wanted me to ___________.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/26/2013 10:08:22 AM
Do it over again? Hell, I'm not done doing it the first time! :)

I was immature and insecure for a really long time. If I could have changed that, I'm sure I would have. Some of us are just not wired the same as others, and I have learned to accept that.

I gave a lot of time to a man I didn't love--but fortunately, I also had my kids and did other things I wanted to do (I didn't let him stop me from those things, although he would have if I had let him).

I still want to travel more and live overseas. I love my job--teaching--and love going to work almost every single day.

Maybe the only think I might have done differently--had I the courage--would have been to pursue a career in acting or government, the "big" stuff I lacked the confidence to pursue. I know now it would have been ok to fail. I let that fear stop me, though.

I don't regret it--that is, I have accepted that I let fear rule me for some time. But I don't let it rule me anymore!
 Debyduz_
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/26/2013 11:42:29 AM
I wanted to be a veterinarian. Then a commercial artist school ended up be too expensive. Wandered from job to job. After missing a promotion I went back to school for computer information systems. When I graduated the tech market crashed and the jobs went to India. So back to job wandering and then I got pregnant and after she was born it became difficult to get a good enough job close to home so I open a home business and have been doing that for 9 years. I was going to go back to real world when they all want to school instead I stayed because it pays the bills and allows me to be here for them.

If I have to trade what I have to have a better career the answer is no. Yes I could have had a way better life, but I really like what I have. Today I am 50 and still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. I think the art career would not have fit with me because trying to make people buy stuff by presenting in the correct way is so not me. I loved animals but dealing with them sick and dying and dealing with sad owners would have sucked. Sitting at a desk coding would have bored me to tears.
 sunsunsun4
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/26/2013 5:56:48 PM
I would have started my present career much earlier!
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 10:26:08 PM
This question, or thought exercise, kind of makes me sad.
On one hand had I pursued other avenues, professionally or personally, perhaps I wouldn't be posting comments on a dating site! And yet, on the other hand, to desire that I HAD done something else is tantamount to professing that I don't particularly care for where I am nor for who I am. And since I'm not ready to admit that, at least not publicly, then I'm going to have to state that while it hasn't been the journey that I imagined 35 years ago I am content with where it has left, and led, me so far.
Besides, what have I got, maybe another 45 years or so (who knows, maybe longer) think of how this journey could really turn out. The limitations I saw then are not the limitations I see now.
While I may be a bit more pragmatic today I am also the beneficiary of greater resources. Could be a hoot!

TK
[If the world is no longer my oyster, perhaps it is my fresh water mussel!]
 forums1
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/27/2013 12:04:36 PM
I'm in IT, I started out programming mainly, on minicomputers/mainframes back in the 80's, but as the PC/Macs started making inroads and the 'big iron' started being phased out, I mainly was 'sysadmin/support' for the mini/mainframes and started branching into admin of workstations & PC networks (or probably more like 'shuffled' into, its where the work was, and it all just came naturally to me).

28yrs later (worked summers a couple years before then, but 1985 was my start into 'full time' employment in IT), I'm getting laid off the end of this week - I've spent the past month 'training my (cheaper) replacements', get 18wks severance, but honestly I'm kinda re-evaluating if I really want to be doing this again at another job. The sysadmin side has pretty much become almost cookie-cutter stuff, they don't want 'real skills' what they want now is cheap interchangeable 'resources' (at least 3/4 of which are either in India or H1B's here). Even most of the programming is outsourced offshore.

Dunno, I own my house at this point (paid off 10yrs ago now), so I really don't "need" a lot to survive, but at 49 (in 2 months) I can't really retire... trying to decide if I can just freelance a bit, repair pc's for people, etc. Get out of the 'corporate grind' as much as I can. Or maybe just get away from computers entirely, who knows.
 Hoopsfan68
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/27/2013 12:26:37 PM
Although I would not trade my kids for anything (well at least for the time being)....
If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't get married in my 20's. And, I'd become a race car
driver!
 JoeBnD
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/27/2013 11:10:06 PM
@forums1

I feel your pain. I experienced the same back in the late 90s; budget cuts and salaries 1/2 to 1/3 of what used to be average. It is only about the bottom line now.

If I ever get past my depression and my health issues improve enough to be off of disability, I have no idea what I will be doing for a living.
 TALLTEXAN2012
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2013 7:39:44 AM
Married at 22, three children by 30...THAT was my career, everything else was just a job!

Never thought I would be divorced the same day I turned 62 after over 39 years of marriage!!!

My kids and grandkids are worth it ALL ... I count myself as truly "Blessed" ... The only thing I would want to change...believing everything my X told me as the truth!!!
 anita_lay
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2013 1:36:08 PM
If I could go back in time..I'd buy real estate...heaps of it..
 puppylover2
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2013 2:32:27 PM
I still enjoy my current career in the healthcare field, but I'm starting to cut back my paid hours and will increase my volunteer hours in the field I've always envied - working with animals. I'm fortunate that my local Humane Society offers numerous opportunities for volunteers - and I plan to take advantage of them.

A dream of mine has been to have a search and rescue dog - don't know if that will ever be a reality at this point - probably not. The second dream, and one that definitely can come true, is to have a therapy dog to visit hospital patients, nursing home residents, etc.
 midable
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/28/2013 5:31:24 PM
I can't imagine, in my wildest dreams, doing what I am doing now.... it's like a dream.
 cesska
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2013 8:18:48 PM
if being born was a choice I would have passed
I only remember a few days in my life worth the trip
I never would have left florida
I would not live with or marry a man
 DrummingNut
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/31/2013 5:48:53 PM
There's a whole lot of stuff I bought over my life .. and now where is it?
If I could do it all over again I would just stick that money in a safe and have it to live on now.
 curviest
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2013 3:54:01 AM
I would have joined the police or the army, something like that, when I was 16, and by 45 or so I'd be retiring at the top of my profession, as a commander, major, etc, on a big fat pension and probably quite fit.

Instead I pretty much wasted my life in a job I did for fun instead of climbing a career ladder. And now I am paying the price.
 forums1
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/19/2013 8:19:18 PM
I would have joined the police or the army, something like that, when I was 16, and by 45 or so I'd be retiring at the top of my profession, as a commander, major, etc, on a big fat pension and probably quite fit.

I'm not so sure I'd be putting a lot of stock in that "big fat government pension" being there 10 years from now anymore, given the state of economies these days. Either that, or it'll be just enough to buy a loaf of bread by then with the 'big fat prices' of everything that keep going up while governments lie about inflation (lets just not count fuel, heating oil, and food... nobody uses those - hey look! You can get a new TV cheap!).
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/19/2013 11:13:46 PM
I am grown up, and I still don't know what I want to be (so decided to multi-task and do a few things)

Though there is a very small part of me that would love to be a travel guide in amazing places... or a cruise director :)

or own a bed and breakfast in the English countryside...

or a storm chaser.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2013 9:26:25 AM
I would have ignored the "elders" who gave me bad advice -- advice that I took to heart because I was raised to believe that they knew best ALWAYS...not so. I allowed their "fears and backward thinking" to infiltrate my life -- what they believed African-Americans and women should and should not do.

Too late now, but I would have been an attorney.....and a damn good one at that!
 _islandbird
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/20/2013 5:28:02 PM
Enjoyed most of the jobs I had....... predominantly Sales/Marketing/Manufacturer's Rep/Stock Broker. Liked the travel and huge diversity of folks I met. Had lots of freedom, made good coin, and enjoyed a pretty nice lifestyle. No regrets, but came to understand that, for the most part, we don't get financially independent working for someone else.

If I had kids, that would be the advice I would pass on. Never rely on an employer for your security. You might fall on your face a couple of times getting your own business going, but in the long run you will be better off.

Also, glad I gained the financial knowledge and discipline of investing ............. but wish I had started practicing what I preached a lot earlier. Hindsight is 20/20 ................ better late than never though.

Always wanted to do something in agriculture.......... small orchard, vineyard, mixed veggie farm, etc. ................... and now, barely three months into retirement I am gearing up to do exactly that.
 April1963
Msg: 73
Posted: 6/20/2013 9:14:23 PM
If you could do it all again, would you choose another career path?

I would not change anything of what I did,but I would change the way I did them. Because I did everything in a hardest way.
With my experience now, I realize that I could have done the same thing I did, and to obtain the same result without so much effort.

I feel accomplished as a person and as a woman, but I am tired...happy but tired!
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/31/2013 7:04:20 PM
I never would have gone to college - I should have spent that time back packing through Europe
I would not repeat any of the relationships I have had - I already know how those end - and now that I know how they started - they are easy enough to avoid.
I never would have bought a house - and I certainly would not have to have sold it in the shiattiest economy we have had since the Depression
And I would have refused every instance of advice from Them / They / Experts / Majority / Concensus

Where could I have been now ? phew - it would have been a hell of a ride to start the bucket list at 17 ;)
 Molly Maude
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2013 9:03:30 PM
responding to the question before us: "If you could do it all again, would you choose another career path?"

ultimately, I got to the career that made me happiest, the one for which I was best suited ... but it was a long, tortuous, twisted and winding path to get there ... if I knew then what I know now, I could have eliminated a lot of (for me) dead-end efforts ... I worked in banking administration ... being an office manager ... quietly typing ... lots of clerical and secretarial jobs in the legal field ... even tried my hand at sales jobs ... these jobs were good, I did well ... but there was always something lacking ...

eventually, I fell into the field that made me happiest, that of medical care ... something I could actually believe in ... where it felt like my work meant something at the end of the day ... where patients were better off because of the work my co-workers and I had accomplished during that day ... I wish I'd found that path sooner ...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If you could do it all over again...