Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do we all posses the ability to be passionate?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 5
Let's talk about..............................Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Oooo - I also love to ask people what they are passionate about... If someone is passionate about something you can see it when they talk to you. It's something you can almost feel coming from them. Personally, I'm passionate about several things - my career (which I love!), my family and different causes that I feel strongly about.
 Commonsens
Msg: 6
Let's talk about..............................
Posted: 7/12/2009 7:08:49 PM

Passion: the absolute liberation of the soul, the giving of one self without witholding nor fears, a tsunami of the deepest depth of the heart, the driving force making us overcome the impossible and giving us infinite potential.

We all have it, but most fear to unleash that force.

What's life without passion? a living death.
 Fifi47
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/12/2009 7:22:02 PM
I am attracted to men who are passionate about things. If a man does not have a passion for his job, or a cause he believes in, or a hobby or something, then I have usually not gotten along with him well. Passion is not the same as obsession to me, and if someone has the same passions as their romantic partner, would that not be a bit boring? I think I mesh better with a man who shares some similar passions, but do not want a carbon copy of myself. Of course he and I should be passionate about each other....
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/12/2009 8:30:28 PM
Hi Arabianangel,

Good to see you again. I believe I'm a passionate woman to the nth degree. I'm a mixture of deep emotion, deep conviction, self respect, respect and deep love for and compassion for others but with the honesty of saying what I think in a way that shows connectivity between my mind, my spirit, my emotions and my body.

To me, passion is the connectedness of all four. If I passionately believe in something or someone, my whole self is engaged in the promotion of, the presentation of and the loyalty of and protection of that "thing" that "person", or that ideal.

Passion denotes devotion and unfaltering faith in, so much so, that you would stake your very life on it.

In love you reach that point by getting to know that person, by that person's having passed the test of time, by connecting with them on many levels and by just simply respecting and believing in them If all those things are in place, my affection for and level of attraction to is so great that the clothes would be strung from the door to the floor and we'd wake in each other's arms in the am.
 Viperess
Msg: 9
Do we all posses the ability to be passionate?
Posted: 7/12/2009 10:27:17 PM
I cannot answer for anyone else's ability but I do know for myself, passion encompass' me. Passion can be a distinction from reason as I believe it is something which is much more primal and churns within my body and soul. I am a very intense person, driven in my feelings and convictions, and I am able to reach down into the deepest recesses of whom I am and bring to the forefront the best part of who I am. I possess passion which includes the people I love, my art, music, career, and life in general. It is putting my all into whatever situation I am in and honing in on the purest form of myself and expressing it to others. Passion is giving, enveloping, saturating, and expressing a form of higher evolvement as a human being. I prefer someone who is equally intense as the relationship will be more balanced and comprehensible, I cannot relate with anyone who isn't of the same genre.
 Merrylass
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 12:11:59 AM

Probably not. I think some people can't muster passion. Too much passion, however, isn't poetic and grand the way it's being made out. It can be exhausting and pointless, particularly when nobody else cares. Solo passion is worthless.

Passion can also tip into problematic when there's too much of it.

I think people can do very well caring a great deal without having to be passionate. Frankly, I'm kind of sick of being passionate, myself.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 12:16:13 AM
Being passionate about something is when you are willing to do something even if you knew you were going to fail.
 Arabianangel
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/13/2009 3:40:14 AM
Don’t know why the moderators changed my title???

Passion: the absolute liberation of the soul, the giving of one self without witholding nor fears, a tsunami of the deepest depth of the heart, the driving force making us overcome the impossible and giving us infinite potential.

We all have it, but most fear to unleash that force.

What's life without passion? a living death.

Someone turn down the heat! :)

Passion for work only comes from having a career not just any job, passion for sex when your lover knows how to please you and you can please your lover, and passion for life when you feel good knowing that you made someone happy or just enjoy breathing fresh air, that you enjoy the simple things in life .

Nicely put!

Hi Arabianangel,

Good to see you again. I believe I'm a passionate woman to the nth degree. I'm a mixture of deep emotion, deep conviction, self respect, respect and deep love for and compassion for others but with the honesty of saying what I think in a way that shows connectivity between my mind, my spirit, my emotions and my body.

I believe its a mixture of both strength and passion to express your feelings with absolute honesty despite the ramification. (great to see you posting again) :)

Passion is generally seen as positive, but it can be negative too. Passion usually becomes visible to others when a person loses perspective or control.

I think you’re right Rune3….Adolf Hitler was known to be extremely passionate!
 sweetest
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 4:30:08 AM
You know, I really don't know if everyone has the ability to be passionate.

From reading countless threads here for almost a couple of years now, it's apparent to me that there are some types that I would never click with--despite perhaps having some respect (while not always agreeing) for what these folks have to say.

Why? Because they appear to operate in a way that is less willing to be available to experiencing the smorgasbord of life and love--to take even calculated risks that could open the door to who knows--but being willing to opening the door in itself-- says so much.

Of course that doesn't mean necessarily that these folks are devoid of all passion--merely, imo, that they are not passionate enough to consider a match for who I am. On the other hand, people who are like me (and yes, I fall in line with the passionate types), who can be more overt about the roots of their passions and the importance of it in their life, will invariably find that we subscribe to similar points of view on many threads.

Does that mean that I run around with 'crazy eyes'...a new phrase that a passionate new friend recently brought into my current lexicon...no. To be passionate means more than the bedroom stuff; although it has a natural home there for most who are so inclined--it truly operates on all levels and ways of being. Commonly it shows up as having a real exuberance about life - which fundamentally means being open. Open to feeling, seeing, experiencing new things. I'm not a closed book--most passionate people, at least to me anyway, don't seem to be that way either. I don't need to do all things by rote...it means being comfortable being with the unconventional: in time lines (for conventional behavior), in expectations, in acceptance. While I am guarded of self in certain circumstances, I don't deny myself the opportunity to experience, to be taught by others, and to feel new things in new ways. That to me is how I see passion at play.
 Arabianangel
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/13/2009 4:33:59 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^Wow sweetest I totally agree!.....(I'm pretty much an open book too)
 Commonsens
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/13/2009 7:49:47 AM
well putted, sweetest! :)

Some people believe that passion cannot be released at the proper time or place, for the proper reasons, or at the proper dosage. That people with passion cannot be rational. (I think that am very grounded and rational and extremely passionate at the same time, I simply use it or release it when needed, for the right reasons; proper channeling of my energies).

That is the difference between having passion and not having filters (which is having no control over it).
So there should be no fear to release that force, as you always have the ability to hold it back, tame it, focus it or release it at will.
 Fifi47
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/13/2009 10:12:32 AM
Maybe it is your feminine side that is showing at times, Loretta.
 daynadaze
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 11:08:22 AM
I doubt we all possess it, some people are very flat when it comes to emotions, but also I find a lot of 'passionate' people to be kind of phony or maybe it's my view of them and I'm flat I can be quite passionate about things but I don't think that makes me feel more than the next person, somethings require a good thinker not a feeler, it just all depends on the situation and the individuals involved. I know some great people who do wonderful things for others and who have great relationships who are not what one would call passionnant, all too often I think the over indulgent think of themselves as passionate when really they are highly self-absorbed and not at all good in relationships. It's sometimes hard to define a truly passionate person from a truly deluded person.
 kpooks
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 1:59:13 PM
Yes, but I think sometimes we're afraid to, for fear of love and loss, for fear that unleashing the passion will mean unleashing a beast that will cheat (my fear). I think we all possess it. But some of us have to dig down deep sometimes to find it, and even then we need an outlet, a destination, for that passion, which will return and reciprocate the passion back to us in a positive, encouraging, nurturing way, without censorship, without fear, without boundaries.
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/14/2009 5:38:36 PM

Rod steward had a song about this a long time ago

"I don't wanna talk about it, how you broke my heart. If I stay here just a little bit longer, if I stay here won't you listen, to my heart,,,,,oh, to my heart."

My favorite was Mandolin Wind.
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/14/2009 5:43:54 PM

Serenity has value too. Passion is the thunder and the lightning, the breath of life itself, being overwhelmed by the maelstrom, being drowned and burned alive, it's when your heart screams. Serenity gives us the strength to withstand passion, it is the knowledge that our hearts go on beating once they are done screaming, the storm passes, the world only seems to stop turning but never actually does. The counterpart to passion is necessary for us to experience passion and sustain. We tend to admire extremes -- the person who seems to us is always out pursuing some activity with passion and the person whose calm seems never ruffled: the monk, the meditator.

Serenity is nothing more than a byproduct of passion. Passion ends in climax, serenity is the cigarette and scrambled eggs afterwards...I rest my case.

No need to wax poetic or esoteric...it is what it is. Passion is the blood flowing through our veins, serenity is the seretonin it brings with it.

There's nothing mysterious or otherworldly about it. No need to shift the sand or throw out tea leaves....I feel very passionately about this!!
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/13/2009 9:50:03 PM
I'm extremely passionate, yet simple in my approach to life. I want that seemingly evasive combination of acceptance, respect, admiration and passionate lovemaking that is so explosive and so extreme that after a few days, someone might call out the sheriff's department to check on the safety of the 'missing in action'.
I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm passionate about entertainment, about the ocean, about animals, family, people, life, adventure, wine, food, children, babies, politics, religion, science, history, art, travel......why shouldn't I be passionate about making love and enjoying love making?
 SLAFFA
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/23/2017 10:01:23 AM
What I want to know is either How or Why some of those Off Topic folks became so passionate about politics. Golly gee!

Maybe parents or upbringing somehow? They seem to dwarf those passionate about Religion or anything else at that Forum.
 IgottaName
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/23/2017 10:39:44 AM
I have 13 grand children and this post is older than any of them!
 purplerider1200
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2017 5:52:26 PM

What I want to know is either How or Why some of those Off Topic folks became so passionate about politics.

I think they started, when politics started to influence their personal lives. People tend to notice, when less money goes into their pockets. Or they are presented a new bill that they must pay, courtesy of government.

About a month ago, I was listening to a local talk show. The subject, corporations, 1% rich, and when people started hating them. It started in the sixty's, with the hippy generation. Of course, it was handed down from generation to generation. And it spread. Since it was a topic with a lot people believing, (and hating) them, the dems picked up on it and started pushing that sort of thinking.

What I think is totally absurd, is that their leaders- Are part of that 1% percent that they hate. It just amazes me that they see nothing wrong with who they support. And if some financial disaster were to hit the country-They'd leave 'em in a heartbeat. (Actually, both parties would leave us high and dry. I'm not blind to know that one)

I'm for the party that offers the most freedom. Government has proved time and again, that they are terrible managers. I don't need or want their guidance. That's my passion- to be free to live and do what I want, and everyone stay out of my business.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2017 10:32:40 PM
Purple, I couldn't agree with you more. It's part of them being hypocrites: "What I think is totally absurd, is that their leaders- Are part of that 1% percent that they hate. It just amazes me that they see nothing wrong with who they support."
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/25/2017 4:13:33 AM
^^^
Fiscal conservatives are the worst
 gtomustang
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/25/2017 6:54:03 AM
"how or why some of those political posters got so passionate"

>>I can only speak for myself, but I got into politics b/c I am interested in what makes people tick, what drives them to do what they do. i'm also interested in history, which of course is the record kept of our failures and successes. My mother did teach me the fun of just sitting back and people-watching. Old married couples and how they treat each other, kids versus their parents (and the age of the parent matters, I learn as I reach that age and realize that energy levels are no longer the same). maybe it comes from that seed, but I think passion comes from curiousity...do you notice what goes on in life that has nothing to do with yourself? I've known people who only notice in life, the few parts of it that have something to do with them, and couldn't care less about the rest. They aren't the people who can walk a mile in another person's shoes b/c they have no interest in doing so.

purple raises a point, some people get interested in the part of politics that has to do with their wallet. Do they have the curiousity to learn about micro and macro economics? or do they just stop at, "this affects me, and that annoys me?" There are blue collar workers who hate Wall Street, and yet they voted a rich billionaire into office who's salted the cabinet with Goldman Sachs people. If you raise that issue, they shrug and say they don't have time to know everything about politics...but they know everything about HRC somehow. I guess these people have time to know what they want to know, and that's it.

Another person might get into politics over abortion or another moral issue. I consider them to be "Single issue" voters, and they may overlook everything else about a candidate just to get that one issue (say, picking a Supreme Court Justice) voted into the White House. But, if they get challenged enough, they might bring up other arguments they've heard.

in the end, the thing we defend the most is...anything we think has to do with our identity. that means the most to us in the world, even our children, who represent our genes.
 10ky
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/26/2017 12:57:48 PM
My ability to be passionate does indeed depends on how long both my hands and feet have been in a cast for (shrugs)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do we all posses the ability to be passionate?