Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 respektabl
Msg: 32
Why do women not like dating fulltime single fathers?Page 2 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
to the OP - easy answer.

Women do not really mean what they say...surely you have noticed this at some point in life...?

As to why they don't like it, there's a lot of women enamored with the Prince Charming fantasy. The prince didn't have kids.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 33
Why do women not like dating fulltime single fathers?
Posted: 7/22/2009 6:32:45 AM
I doubt it has much to do with your kids, OP.

Because I know if I were a single father, women would still be throwing themselves at me.

The people without kids post threads like this fairly often in the other forums as well.

One of my gorgeous friends right now is dating a single father. Why? Because he's attractive and funny.

She didn't like dudes with kids before him.

While I would never date a woman with kids, not everyone is as adamant about it as I am.

What it really comes down to is - what do you have to offer?

Seems like your self esteem sucks azz.

I'm not modest. Modesty is boring. I'm crazy, and interesting, and fun. As a result, I get propositioned everywhere I go.

Don't blame your kids for not having an attractive personality. That said, it will just take patience.

There are ALWAYS compatible people out there for every personality type. For those with less attractive personalities, it just takes more time to find them.
 robin81163
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/22/2009 3:35:46 PM
I was a single parent for 15 years, so I do understand. It's hard work, exspecially when the kids are younger. I found that dating guys who had kids (fulltime or not) worked better as their was an understanding. I have three kids from a previos relationship that I still keep in contact with. They have a mom and my boys have a dad. If you are going for the relationship you need to find someone who can be their friend and help with guiding not someone who feels that they have to be mom. Your kids look old enough from your photo that they know and understand what is going on. And any woman who can not see you for who u are, was not the right one in the first place. Don't give up!!
 hungry_joe
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:41:13 PM
Dating a single parent is work. They don't have the same time as a childless person does. This would be true, with a work-a-holic. OP how are you putting yourself out there? I don't think your screen name helps any to be burtally honest. It says I'm either desperate or clingy. Both are bad. Do you think it might be yourself confidence that is shaken a bit and this is what women are picking up on. I notice when I'm confident and happy with myself women graviate to me. When, I become bashful, a state that I'm in now, women are repulsed by me. I wouldn't worry about it too, much, enjoy the roller coaster, because you'll be heading up hill again soon.
 heterotic
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:45:48 PM

I miss Jenn, although a bit harse, there was truth to be in what she said, I am sure she will be back

There wasn't any real truth in what she said. She made blanket assumptions, insulted people and called posters derogatory names. I'm not glad she's gone, because I really wanted to debate with her and do something that the others here might perceive as a good use of my "negative personality traits".
 troubl69
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2009 9:11:55 PM
jenn8800
hi i am not sure who u think you are talking about on your little thread but not all signal parents are whinny or want shit from ppl sometimes all they want is a conversation with an adult instead of a child get a clue and mayb try it sometime
 privat33r
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2009 10:41:07 PM
I'm not sure that kids are such a lodestone. I mean - I've got way more baggage handling issues and precipices to leap than simply having urchins to step over. People still seem somewhat okay with crawling through the desert of broken glass.

My guess is that all the little things that provide early interest, sustained hope and a dash of fun probably have to be respected. I read someone's blog on this a few years back. He emphasized taking up a sport to provide some fluidity of movement, good dental care, great hygiene, simple and honest communication, occasionally good grooming and fitting clothes. Living somewhere that has a lot of single girls probably doesn't hurt - like move into the downtown of any government berg. I don't know if that all works - . but there are rumours, - mostly from lasses.
 the_JJ
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/30/2009 7:25:53 PM
lonleydad, I feel for ya, I too am a single dad with custody. Someone said it(dont know who)" people dont date single parents due to unknown variables". Keep on truckin, every dog has their day...

As for that ""exploitative bleep bleep"" Jenn88, I will gladly be put into your category of ripping my kids from my ex, once she started her "vacations" in county for warrants, drugs, drunk in public, HELL YEAH I took them with a F'N quickness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(sorry for the loud and harshness)

She has been clean and responsible for four years now. And I have watched her closely with the kids and the law, I decided to let them stay with her for this year.

I think we "You fulltime custodial PARENTS who ripped YOUR CHILDREN away from thier loving NON CUSTODIAL PARENTS" who did it for the kids sake or the ones whos "others" walk out should go ahead and pat ourselves on the back, in fact, I salute you all!! Cause we put our lives on hold for our kids and for that.....WE ROCK
Yes it does suck, no life, no significant other, little or no money, but look at it like this. I am willing to bet when our kids grow up, they will realize what we have done(sacafices, hardships) for thier good.I hope!!
 the_JJ
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/30/2009 7:34:02 PM
Oh, and just to throw in my other twocents, I prefer to date women with kids. It seems most childless women I have come across (no matter how we met, age,mentality) just dont comprehend what its like to e a single parent. I dont know why, and Im not even going to try and figure it out. As the Beatles said "Let It Be"! Thats my preference..

The JimmyJames
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2009 7:40:35 PM

Oh, and just to throw in my other twocents, I prefer to date women with kids. It seems most childless women I have come across (no matter how we met, age,mentality) just dont comprehend what its like to e a single parent. I dont know why, and Im not even going to try and figure it out. As the Beatles said "Let It Be"! Thats my preference..

Seems that way, single parents should date single parents. Better chance of a match that will work.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2009 9:31:20 PM
not all single dads TOOK the kids. I for one, had no lawyer and spent no money, she gave them up cause she gave up and decided she didn't want to be a mom, etc, etc. If you've read my post you already know my story, if not look at my post history. But I see your point, most people tthat see a dad raising kids, see a man that ripped them from their mother. My 13 yr old would tell you different, she is hers not mine but I have custody of her too. And if I didn't she would be with me anyway. She even told me, please don't let me have to live with her.
 Iamlukin
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/3/2009 7:36:30 AM
First I would like to say taht any parent man or woman that chooses not to be part of their children s lives deserve any court order they get. For the few fathers out there that do take care of their responsibilities and want to be part of the nurturing of their kids lives I commend you. Unfortunately with all the bad apples out there and from reading a few posts here I can sympathize with some ladies and what they have gone through, the few of us who want to be there full time have the legal system stacked against us. Stay in their lives as much as you can because in the end they will realize and appreciate you being around no matter what. Now back to the original question of dating. I think it all comes down to maturity. Just like men there are women out there that do not want to be bothered or get pulled into any drama situation. Its a general term but just from reading some posts here its an understandable one. I myself do not take it personal after I reveal I am a single dad and some choose not to date any longer. Think of it as a blessing. She or he wasn't meant to be with you in the first place and it will just allow others to see the good qualities you have in you. Its a choice for your child and it benefits them not to have any negative aspects in their lives. There is someone for everyone and if you do not come across them you wont die from it. You can still enjoy life have a blast and do the best you can for your children. My mom did it with me and my brother and so far I myself am not dying from being single. Keep chuging along man you'll be just fine
 doughboy111111
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 6:54:45 PM
jenn8800 IS A VERY MAD PISSEDoff person. first of all she has know idea your situation. your rite i have full costody. but my ex is died and women do say what a great job taking care of your kids , most men wouldn't. we put them on this earth so you have take care of them. it seems women are scare to date you cause of your situation. good luck buddy
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 9:51:33 PM
WOW Jenn thanks for the boost in confidence, O and by the way she walked out on her own, wanted a life with no kids, doesn't call, or see them, chooses not to have anything to do with them EVER!!!!! I did not "rip" them away from any one. Thats not me or my style, but again thanks for your opinion, we all know what they can mean. Enjoy your happy perfect life while still on a internet singles site ripping apart others. Must make you feel real good about yourself. I guess I won't ask questions anymore. My bad. But for the future you should really know someone and there situation before you try to degrade them like that. And NO I DON'T GET SQUAT from her either.

Must be really hard on the kids. My brothers friends wife split on him also and the kid. She visited sporadically, on days she was to see the son she would not show up some times other times would cancel an hour before the pick up time. I dont know what a mother is thinking when she does such a thing. She eventually left the state shacked up with a new guy. It tore david up, but he grew up with a good support system around him. Did well in school and married a women from his college a few years ago. The father, seemed similar to single mothers, finding it a little more difficult to get on dates due to the responsabilities of raising the child, work, ect. No ones fault just a matter of priorities as a parent. The child will always come first, wouldn't that be the case if it was your child?
 figure_sk8r
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/6/2009 1:10:41 AM
Am glad all the judgemental people have been banned or left. It is hard enough being single parents, whatever the reason is you got there, without having judgemental people stuck in 1950 pass their opionion on in an open forum like this. I'm a single mom, take responsibility in the failure of my marriage, but chose to get out when my son was young to not put him in the middle. His father chose to move 2200 miles away and has never given me a single cent to help support him and I don't ask for help. My son has a good life, great oppurtunities, a bright future and dreams big with significant goals to reach; because I do what's right and provide the love, support and encouragement he needs. It's tough to date and I put my dating life third on my list of priorities. I have male friends where their ex's left them with the kid(s) and don't pay support either. It's never an easy situation, but that which does not kill us makes us stronger and I can't believe in 2009 there are still these issues and sterotypes. I would perfer to date single full time dads, just not any in my area. Best of luck to all of us; don't let the crazies bring you down, you've got the best thing in the love/bound with your childern.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2009 6:17:53 PM
I think I read somewhere that 8SF8 aka forum ninja, found himself a single mom to date. Irony of Irony. FS is still around, I think the regulars got bored with the same post over and over again therefore ignore her.

Forumphantom, would you change your opinion for an interesting good looking single dad?
 hungry_joe
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2009 6:23:11 PM

Being a full time custodial single father is a set up to have a lonely life, it makes most women run for the hills. Women will be like awwww its so sweet that you're raising your kids all alone but she would never think about dating you. She will be thinking ewww why does he have the kids?!? OMG! Whats wrong with their mommy? Did he rip them away from her??? Is she crazy? On drugs?? Whoa other woman's kids= excess baggage.... crazy ex unfit mother who will make my life a living hell?? or is he a nasty creep who ripped the kids away from their mommy?

Note fixed some of the typos. I hate to say it but this post rang true to me. Then don't forget if you have small children in a social setting, it is assumed that you're part of a couple. Single dad's have a handicap in dating. Does this mean that I am doomed to be dateless? No, not a all plenty of fish has helped me along the way, along with my charming and glowing personality. ...Yes some women like nerdy single fathers too lol. Then some women don't want the complication of the other woman in there life. Let's say that mom is involved with the child, this can be a turn-off for a lot of women. They may think that dad maybe yearning to get her back, or vice versa and they don't want to deal with the potential for competion.
 mia001s
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/7/2009 10:49:12 PM
Sounds like someone is a little more upset about having to pay child support than not spending time with their kid. Talk about a rant!! Before you condemn the man, don't you think you should at least take the time to find out why he is a single father? I have a friend who is a single father, because his wife died. And how many strung out doped up women out there have just abandoned their children and spouses. The only point that your post made clear to anyone is that you are simply a self absorbed idiot who can't imagine life from any other perspective than her own. Get over yourself!
 hungry_joe
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2009 11:21:03 AM
Lightbright, here in NC they have court supervised visitation centers. This might be the best option for you and your children, if you think that she is sober. Talk to someone at your local Social Service Department if such a program exists where you live. Just a thought all the best to you.
 singlesuperdad
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2009 10:00:49 AM
lol, whats a natter? never heard that one.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2009 12:32:39 PM
"Because fulltime single fathers are RARE. Only about 10% of single parents are men. "

Of the single parent homes USA, men make up about 20% and the are over 2,500,000 of us. NOt so rare! Single fathers are the fastest growing group too.
http://www.census.gov/PressRelease/www/releases/archives/families_households/009842.html
The percentage of households headed by single parents showed little variation from 1994 through 2006, at about 9 percent, up from 5 percent in 1970, according to the latest data on America’s families and households released today by the U.S. Census Bureau.

According to Families and Living Arrangements: 2006, there were 12.9 million one-parent families in 2006 — 10.4 million single-mother families and 2.5 million single-father families.

Just over two-thirds (67 percent) of the nation’s 73.7 million children younger than 18 lived with two married parents in 2006. Also in 2006, there were an estimated 5.8 million stay-at-home parents: 5.6 million mothers and 159,000 fathers.

Other highlights:

Average household size in 2006 was 2.57 people, down from 3.14 in 1970.
Slightly more than one in four households (26 percent) consisted of a person living alone in 2006, up from 17 percent in 1970.
About 5.7 million children, or 8 percent of the total, lived in a household that included a grandparent in 2006. The majority of these children (3.7 million) lived in the grandparent’s home, and of these, about 60 percent had a parent present.
Among the 13 million children 15 to 17, about 2.3 million were working, and of these, 2.2 million worked part time.
In 2006, 33 percent of males and 26 percent of females 15 and older had never married, up from 28 and 22 percent in 1970.
The majority of men and women in 2006 had been married by the time they were 30 to 34 (71 percent), and among men and women 65 and older, 96 percent had been married.
Data are from the 2006 Current Population Survey’s (CPS)
 dragondung
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2009 5:44:55 PM
I have been on both sides of the single parent situation...to be honest with you both have it hard. Right now my daughter lives with her mother and my son lives with me from my second marriage. I will hold details cause honestly they are not needed by anyone but me.

I have been tinkering back and forth on the dating thing and found single parents mesh well with single parents. It just makes it easier to have an understanding person who knows what you are going through. The down side of course is allowing the kids to get attached. So large amounts of caution need to taken. Dont look for it, it will happen. Honeslty my best relationships come to me, with out any real effort on my part. If they dont happen enjoy your kids, pick up some hobbies, get in shape, do stuff for your self and you will be surpised someday it will happen out of the blue.

Hang in there your not alone many of us have felt the same way at times. It passes
 denaj
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/15/2009 7:24:32 AM
Maybe the ex wife isn't good parent material, I have friends that the women walked away and left her kids. Maybe his ex died . The courts are usually on the side of the mom and if he guy gets them the judge thought they were the better parent. You seem a little bitter, did you lose your kids to your ex? Personally I think it is awesome that any parent man or woman puts their kids a head of everything else. I prefer to date someone who has children becuase they understand when life situations come up with my son , we can reschedule. Since you don't know what happen and weren't at court when the judge make the choice, who are you to belittle this man. What, a man that takes care of his child only wants a mate to make someone jealous. I am sorry to say but you need to get out of the high school drama and get a life. If anyone in messed up it is your attitude and judgement against someone you don't even know. I won't let my son meet anyone I date until I think it is a serious relationship. I also don't drop everything to be with someone new. I always put my son first and he is very well adjusted. I certainly am not looking for a new daddy for my son I am his parent period. I am not divorced as my son's dad walked away before he was born. I judge people by who they are after I meet them. I have raised my son all by myself with out any money and don't need anyone to help me. I do want a relationship with a man and I would never expect to take the place of their mother or want to. I think you need to grow up and personally I really don't think you are relationship material for anyone until you get some counseling and learn what a real realtionship is all bout. . Do you even have kids. If you were a good parent then you would know just how little time you have for yourself and how nice it would be to have someone special in your life for so "me time" , single parents don't get a lot of that if they are doing a good job of raising thier kids. I have to disagree that insane women have your attitude because it seems to be all about you and in a relationship it is all about the "group" and especially what is best for the kids!!! I personally would really choose a parent over someone who has never had children because they are usually understanding and not selfish. Best of luck with your life and finding a relationship after a posting like this. You may find a date and easy sex but with your child like bitterness and hatred , I think that is all you will get. I think high school was too much credit more like kindergarden, take your marbles and go home. Yes Karma is a good thing if I were you I wouldn't ask for it.
 cherrypickin23
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/15/2009 8:36:00 AM
I actually prefer single fathers. I'm not opposed to men who have no children but the guys who already do are sexier to me, it shows they take responsibility for their actions, and what woman doesnt love a man who loves their children? I'm not sure what women you've been encountering, but we're not all that way ;)
Marissa
 graham-climber
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/17/2009 4:54:15 AM
Hi all, single Dad for 5 years to 2 teenager girls.
Their mum was really only interested in her career and told me that all marriages are boring so get used to it. Oh and she was happy to fight with us all and become physical with my girls. The counsellor agreed that I should have them full time and my ex happily agreed.
My point - there are some women that don't have that natural nuturing ability or want to work on a relationship. Unfortunately I married one.
I've had one relationship since , with a single mum, but she found it too hard and didn't want to commit.
Sorry Ladies but my experience so far is that you don't want to date a single fulltime Dad for who knows what your reasons are.
I believe it's the time thing. I recently had it said to my face re You wouldn't have the time to be dating me. And maybe some women are wary but if so, maybe those women need to be more open to different situations.
I'm fit , everyone says I don't look my age, enjoy the romantic side of Life as well as an outdoor extreme sport, financially secure even after the latest crash etc etc etc
And I can't even score a date.
I really does make you wonder. You get to the stage of saying why do all these Ladies ask where all all the nice Men. And say to yourself I'm tired of seeing Read Deleted. I think I'll grow old gracefully and drink red wine with my Dog at my feet
Cheers
Graham
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >