Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I sneeze you say "Bless you."      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cookie22222
Msg: 14
view profile
History
I sneeze you say Bless you.Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It does not bug me at all if someone says Bless You...nor does it bother me at all if they do not. I say it, because I was taught it was polite. If someone says it to me - I say thank you. If I sneeze and no one says anything - I say excuse me.

Sigh...those nuns sure did instill that stuff in me early didn't they? LOL...we were graded on being "polite".
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 15
I sneeze you say Bless you.
Posted: 7/15/2009 1:35:44 PM
I usually say 'Good Shot!'

There was a FoxTrot comic, several years ago, that questioned why someone would say 'Bless You' when you sneeze. Instead, should one not curse the germ-spewing, obnoxious disease-carrier for sending their mucus in all directions?

(Got milk dumped on his head for his efforts...)
 yna6
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/15/2009 4:55:46 PM
"Get any on you?" another (half) wittism said just after a sneeze.
Don't give me your germs!
Ok...sometimes I do go into a sneezing fit and it won't stop for awhile. I figure it is the frikkin' cats. "Stupid cats" is muttered as I reach for the box of kleenex or the roll of paper!
Anyhow's....I am sure some of our Muslim friends would be taking great offence if we said "Bless you" to them after a sneeze....usually the same ones who take offence when someone says "Merry Christmas" to them.
So...with the best of "politically correct" intentions, we need to ban saying anything when someone sneezes, except to tell the person to not be infecting everyone else with their disease or germs or whatever, and. perhaps, offer them a facial mask so they can keep it to themselves.

GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 5:13:37 PM
LOL! I thought the proper response was...."Cover your damn mouth when you sneeze!!! We don't need your germs!"
 tjrogelio
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 6:45:22 PM
My mother use to sneeze so loudly and suddenly, I'd almost jump out of my skin.

Then, she'd expect me to say, 'God Bless You'.
 Dr Fakullo B.
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/15/2009 10:03:06 PM
"My questions to you is, does it bother you when your sneeze is ignored?
Does it bother you when the person sneezing does not say thank you after you say bless you?"

It doesn't bother me any more than when my statements or especially jokes get ignored.

I never say 'bless you'. It's against my religious beliefs to say that. (I'm an atheist.) So I say, "Gesundheit" which perplexes Americans so much so that they stop their sneeze mid-sneeze. After that they ask me what I said, or ignore me, or smile at me very meaningfully as if they were one of the blessed.
 daynadaze
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2009 10:59:01 PM
There's that superior, I'm righteous and you aren't!, BS about manners--meaning my way or you're wrong. Come on, what is considered manners changes over time, what was once rude may not be anymore and what is considered good manners may now seem rude. What's popular when you grew up may no longer be the way society does things, get with it, nothing stays the same when you are talking about customs.

So tell me, if a person does not like you saying Bless You to them, are they being rude or are you being rude for insisting on saying it because by gawd it was said when you were young! It's like the people who say they will pray for me, WTF?, don't pray for me, I find that highly insulting, why would you assume I'm religious or want your prayers? Yet people think I'm rude and they are totally in the right to do/say whatever they feel, why?, because some people are just so damned self-righteous and see nothing beyond what they think.

Manners are about treating people with respect, not about pushing your way or the highway.
 Dr Fakullo B.
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/16/2009 5:10:36 AM
Bolotee, good enough for a thread on its own, your question.

Why not start your own topic with it? On this forum. I mean it. I would be a fun topic.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/16/2009 10:05:51 AM

It's Like wishing someone Merry Christmas these days...

Some people would rather you keep you chrismas wishes to yourself.

How one parcitices or chooses not to practice Christmas or religion should be a personal thing.

If it is your practice or custom to wish someone blessings or happy christmas...I see nothing wrong, but if you dont get the response you would like dont be so supprised...

C2H5OH
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2009 6:53:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHQ6aKizxUE
 cotter
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2009 8:03:36 AM

A sneeze is the only thing that we really cannot help doing. It's involuntary. A burp, or a fart most certainly can be helped or contained,
Not really. We can probably contain the "sound" of a burp or fart, but probably not the actual "letting of the air".

Ask a child to say "Ahhhhh" so you can check their throat ... at least half the time you get a burp and it does not appear to be something they could have "contained".

I have had to do dressing changes on people ... "inside butt cheeks" and the only way to place the dressing is to "spread their cheeks". I really can't count how many times people have farted in my face and I can tell you they would not have been able to "contain" it.

Walking through the stores shopping, I'm sure there are many who are able to contain the "sound" of a burp or fart ... but not the actual need to let the air escape their body ... and as we well know, for sure not the smell of the air that escapes their body.

... and should always be followed by "excuse me".
Actually, I'd rather people not draw attention to their little "letting of air". That way I don't have to acknowledge it ... especially if it smells like "death warmed over" or turns me green around the gills.

I always say, "Gesundheit!" when people around me sneeze ... I'm not religious and did not grow up saying "Bless you" and learned about the "Gesundheit!" while raising my children in Germany. I got used to using it with the little ones ... so I now use that.

Any more these days ... I hear someone sneeze, I yell out ... "I hope you sneezed into your sleeve! And by the way ... Gesundheit!"
 aisatsana sixela
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/3/2009 12:31:44 PM
People get upset over silly things. Accept things in the spirit they are given. A person is trying to be polite. Say thank you and move on with life.

It is a silly custom, but so is most manners or customs. Politeness and kindness is rarely base in pragmatism.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/17/2009 9:52:45 AM
LOL I thought I would revive this thread. I'm being roundly admonished on FaceBook by Christians for saying Gesundheit instead of Blesss you (like I'm the friggin' pope?!) after someone sneezes. They are getting quite mean toward me, as if I said "I hit puppies every time someone sneezes". I find it amusing that people can be so emotionally invested in such a small thing.

Now, shaved pubes and coffee paying, THAT is important stuff.
 robfish
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/18/2009 3:07:36 PM
I don't say it either, i'm not a priest........do people that sneeze really need to be blessed???
 StatlerandWaldorf
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/18/2009 7:54:05 PM

saying Gesundheit instead of Blesss you

I really wonder about this word Gesundheit. How does it come to be so widely-used by English speakers? All the other German import words I can think of are ones that have no English equivalent. But since we already have the perfectly functional 'Bless You,' why adopt 'Gesundheit'?
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/18/2009 8:27:12 PM
Things said in German just seem to have more oomph. lol

75% of people in USA are descended, at least partially, from Germans.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/19/2009 10:14:14 PM
In Russian when some sneezes you Wish them well (Bydet zdrov) A standard response is Go to Hell (K cherty )
(at least among the crew I know) So its an English/American thing; get over it, the rest of the world doesnt care.
 kingwe
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/27/2010 9:16:29 AM
If you would like to really understand the best Victorian etiquette, I would prefer using the British style than the American style. Truth be told, Americans tend to have lots of variations in many things that some times never make sense. I have experienced both cultures.

Fact: When you sneeze, you are spreading germs to other people. So I guess it's silly of me to "bless" someone who is infecting me (consider blessing someone who has infected you with HIV or anything else...lol). It would in fact call for the sneezing person to be "excused" for infecting other people. Hence, if you sneeze, you better follow it up with "excuse me'' (British) rather than wait for "bless you" (American) for the reasons said above.

Food for thought; when you are offered help or someone does do something good for you. We all expect a "Thank you" after wards. In response to that, what's the best reply; You are welcome (American) or "Don't mention" (British)/"Not at all" (British).

So anyway, responses differ from what culture you grew up in. As for me, British style....lol
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I sneeze you say "Bless you."