Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Profile makes you want to run away!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Profile makes you want to run away!!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
i say never message someone to tell them they're shooting themselves in the foot. let em show who they really are, warts and all. that may be just the thing that attracts someone, or it may be what saves someone else from folly.

i've been sorely tempted a few times to message women with glasses of booze in every photo to say hey, you're making yourself look like a lush. but if she IS one, why would i want to help her hide that? i figure i'm doing other guys a favor.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Profile makes you want to run away!!
Posted: 7/16/2009 6:58:01 PM
Even notice that the people who state "no players" and/or "no head games" are usually players and head gamers? LOL
 CKaifeng
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:07:24 PM
I know what you're talking about...

If you run into that kind of profile, the best thing is to just ignore it and move on. Most of the time, those people just LOVE the whole internet drama thing. They dramatize any little thing people say about them, are desperately seeking attention, create problems where no problems exist, etc...

often times it's a hotty with tons of people who have favorited her. It's a huge ego trip thing. The people who add her to their favorites only add fuel to the fire.

On the bright side, there's plenty of hotties who are ARENT like this, but rather are pretty cool and easygoing people.

Edit: the only reason I keep mentioning super hotties is because as a general rule of thumb, they're the ones with profiles like that.
 blindehorse700
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/16/2009 8:13:14 PM
the things that turn me off are im independent (god made more than one person so we can depend on eachother)what thay are saying to us they dont want no one. an when they say im pretty means to us your shallow an stuck up .women seem so self centered an hollow
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/16/2009 8:24:53 PM
One of the silliest profiles that I have seen was where the man wanted to know why fat women LOOKED at his profile.

Let's get real! So, fat women--or any type of woman or man--are supposed to have radar or psychic ability that tells them to NOT look at a profile because the guy doesn't like them?

That had to be the stupidest. whiniest item that I have seen on a profile.

And OP, I wonder whether I should contact people, as well, to let them know how they might appear to others, and several times, I have. A couple of them responded gratefully, some didn't answer, and at least one didn't answer but did change his profile. Funny.
 Annielikeslyrics
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/16/2009 8:27:17 PM
Davidpiano: AMEN baby!
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/16/2009 10:20:20 PM
I think it's funny when people begin the section "About Me" with "what I want in the other person". I thought it was the toddler age that thought the universe revolved around them.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 12:00:09 AM

A totally illiterate, rude person with a bad attitude can change their profile to something they're really not with a bit of advice from well wishing posters.

So, in the end the profile becomes something that does not represent the real them, but heck it looks good.

i hear you. i contribute to a fair number of profile reviews since i edit text and images for a living. there, my job isn't to change what the writer says, only to make it clearer.

it sucks that a lot of people on this site who could bring a lot to a relationship are hampered because writing doesn't happen to be part of their skill set. i'm willing to give most people the benefit of the doubt, and the really obnoxious ones don't seem to ask for reviews too often.
 Jewlsey*
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/17/2009 10:30:28 AM
^^^lmao

I've talked to people on the phone who left me wondering 'who wrote their profile'. It's like two different people
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/17/2009 11:55:24 AM
It comes down to making your profile something that you want the person you are looking for to read. If you make it sound like it is written to the people you DON'T want, then even the people you are looking to attract will be put off by it.

I think a lot of those chicks type up those profiles out of frustration becuase they are tired of being bombarded by Mr. Wrongs. But of course, a lot of them are just bitter and negative and it shows in their writing.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/17/2009 12:04:30 PM
I have a negative profile.
Funny thing is..its gotten me more positive emails than my other one did.
I say all the wrong things for the right reasons and for some reason it works.
Profiles are a personal thing. People write what they want....it's a choice
whether or not you're attracted by it.
Not sure why people worry about what others write...especially if they
aren't interested. Maybe the profile is written so some people will run
away?

curlygrl
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2009 4:17:06 PM
My profile makes everyone run away.

Im very proud of it. It took two years in the making. It is a culmination
of a treatment I experienced. I flipped it and made it look like me.

Do I care what you think - obviously no or I would change it.

Will I change it - eventually because I always change it up.

I think it expresses me as HOW I am - not WHAT I am looking for.

I dont think I need to spell out what I am looking for. Im here - I
will know what I want when it emails me.

I have emailed people here and told them that I thought something on
thier profile might hurt them here and they actually took it to heart and
changed it - so yeah some people are sometimes just not sure what to do
here and sometimes a little friendly help does help them out - I mean really
when I came here I had no idea what to say or what to do- I winged it like
most.

I cant sell myself - meeting me sells me. Getting to know me sells me.

liveletlive_09
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/17/2009 5:09:58 PM
I totally agree that you should write a profile that is a truthful reflection of who you are, but letting people know how negative you are that early is never a good thing. At least TRY to be positive in your profile.

We have all had horrible dating experiences, have been wronged once or twice, and at the end of the day we all know that life isn't always strawberry cakes and milk but why mention the obvious?

A rule I always follow is to ONLY mention things/places/type of people that I like and enjoy on my profile. I have a very good idea of what I don't want, and I have no problem avoiding those without mentioning it on my profile.

Some really good responses though this forum is great!!
 haywiresue
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/17/2009 7:05:04 PM
I agree about profiles that have a lot of negativity attached to them, or a grocery list of things they don't want in a new person, or a grocery list of traits they seem to demand. Something that makes me run in the other direction is people who have a list of Testimonials attached to their profile. I am of the opinion, that if these people are so great, why do they have so many testimonials and are still single? I find internet dating very funny, and think too many people hide behind their computers and are writing a fairy tale as they compile their criteria for a mate.

I believe we are all average in looks, attitudes and behaviours. I have noticed that there are a lot of men looking for Barbie, but they certainly don't resemble Ken - and to keep things fair, their are a lot of women looking for Ken, who certainly don't resemble Barbie.

What ever happened to judging people on their own merits and taking the time to find out about them and see if you are a match. Oh well, if anything internet dating can be quite entertaining.

Good luck to everyone.
 2fuzy
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/17/2009 11:27:33 PM
I think every one has things that make them run if it seems like they are already ****ing at me when they never even met me I pass
also on women who are stuck on how tall some one is seems so sallow as much as some guy saying "must have a d cup"
 barbee1970
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/17/2009 11:32:41 PM
No game players is written by game players, brutal honesty seekers can't handle the truth.

Gotta love the requirement ones who require you to see them several times a week, require sex then, etc. they have the nerve to put sexual requirements in a profile.

Some people are so full of themselves.
 liveletlive_09
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/18/2009 8:44:07 AM
Monsoon,

There is always a positive way to spin things;

"Don't bother messaging me if you smoke"- My health is important to me so I don't smoke, and I would like to find someone who's health is as equally important to them.

"I don't want fat people"- I work very hard to keep myself in shape and I would like someone who's in the same mindset.

"If you are short don't even bother"- I am very attracted to tall men.

"If you can't spell properly then f-off"- I value someone who is linguistically capable.

Stating what you want instead of being rude and obnoxious in declaring what you don't like I believe just works better.
 techgirl27
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 2:26:11 PM
I do the best I can to get points across without using words like don't and no and can't. And I don't "hate" anything so I wouldn't ever use that in a profile.

Positive reinforcement works well with kids (well, it did with mine) and it works pretty well with adults too. This isnt "profile reviews" of course, but I'm always open to hearing suggestions.
 once around the moon
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/18/2009 5:27:58 PM
to the one about "i don't want fat people" i think that is fair. some people are extremely warped and still believe that they ARE in shape even though they're obviously overweight. to me, in those cases, flat out "i don't want fat people" is the best way because there shouldn't be any confusion as to what fat means. and the same goes for the short one too, warped sense of height too.

Fifi47
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/18/2009 5:46:36 PM
Mine seems to prompt either "Interesting profile" or " Don't you know that you are every man's nightmare date, why do you even post a profile?" Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed or possibly failed to take his mood enhancing medication ?
 techgirl27
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 3:29:18 AM
warped sense of height? yep its more frequent than you think. I keep hearing from guys that I see over that they're 5 foot 7 or 5 foot 8. There is just no way. Can we say COMPLEX?????
 Fifi47
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/19/2009 6:05:50 AM
Proiles where men state the kind of woman they like as far as appearance (especially a man over 50, how can a woman who has a certain type of appearance be the only appearance that is attractive to him?) (if I fit what they wanted I wouldn't want someone who did that), or men who state that appearance is what attracts someone to another person. I am in the .00000001 percent or whatever it is who do not feel that way, and saying that all people are this way or that is a turn off to me about him. Men who do not date women who have not been married or women who do not have children, or the ones who assume everyone is divorced, or who mention an ex wife or girlfriend using and abusing them, especially the ones who say no one is ever going to do that to them again and they are not spending money on another woman.
 readyfornow
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 2:36:52 PM
Yep. there are a lot of them out there. Last year there was a woman here in Vegas so bold as to post on her profile; "No poor men please". She's no longer in the pond. With that attitude, she probably drowned.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Profile makes you want to run away!!