Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Freudian
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?Page 12 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
I'm going all the way back to the OP's first question. Yes, it makes a man look older. It also makes him look scruffier (is that a word?).

But, you reach a point in life where you really can't look much older than you actually are, so why not grow a beard? I've had a mustache all my adult life. I grew it to look older so people would listen to me instead of write me off as a kid. It didn't work; I was still a kid, just a kid with a mustache.

Then, one day I decided to see what I looked like with a beard. I liked it and didn't really care what people thought of it, so I kept it. Sure it makes me look older, it displays more gray, so it has to make me look older. But then again, I am older...so there.

Besides, it's hair, something that is getting low in supply.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 277
view profile
History
Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?
Posted: 3/9/2013 4:03:58 PM
Well said Freudian, well said....
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 278
Posted: 3/9/2013 4:18:12 PM
For me, it depends on the guy. I prefer the goatee look if there's any facial hair, but not every man can pull off the goatee look. There are some guys who look good in full beards, as long as they're neatly trimmed. Some guys look good with a 'stache alone. Some guys look best clean-shaven. A few guys actually look great with just a soul patch.

Just like in the debate over women's hair being long or short, I think the guy ought to wear what he likes best and what actually looks good on him - although sometimes those are not the same look. ;)
 ROHgirlzz
Msg: 279
Posted: 3/9/2013 7:30:06 PM
I know that beards and mustaches are the current trend on men's faces today, but I think that it definitely makes a man look much older. The neatly trimmed facial hair of course is the most attractive, but I do think a clean-shaven face looks much sexier ..and younger, as well as much more kissable.
 Just_Me_In_CT
Msg: 280
Posted: 3/9/2013 8:01:54 PM
I'm not a fan of facial hair and especially don't care for the 80's style mustache. I think they should have gone away along with capezio shoes and members only jackets.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 281
Posted: 3/9/2013 8:44:13 PM
I'm not a fan of facial hair and especially don't care for the 80's style mustache. I think they should have gone away along with capezio shoes and members only jackets.

...and let's not forget Hawaiian shirts and red Ferraris.
 girliegirl10
Msg: 282
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2013 9:49:21 PM
but I do think a clean-shaven face looks much sexier ..and younger, as well as much more kissable.

I totally agree!!! Yum!
 seafoodandeatit
Msg: 283
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2013 10:17:03 PM
I dont like facial hair on woman i go out with! .......................................lol
Msg: 284
Posted: 3/9/2013 11:40:56 PM
I have facial hair most of the time. I let it grow until it becomes itchy then I shave it off and repeat. I don't know if it makes me look older and I don't care. I won't be kissing anyone anytime soon so that is irrelevant
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 285
Posted: 3/10/2013 12:55:45 PM
I had a close trimmed beard too- I once dated a bearded man who used his trimmer on me ;0P

I am not dating him anymore-glad I am not "hirsute", LOL!
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 4:47:49 PM
OP- I'm sure you probably have already seen this several times in other posts but I think your mustache ages you and I do NOT like it whatsoever. Sorry, gotta tell the truth.

The only way facial hair helps men look younger is a beard that hides their disappearing jawline. If I am gonna kiss someone, I absolutely prefer clean-shaven, that means no stubble.

In my opinion, the men who look good with a mustache and/or beard are in a very small minority. And unless you're Apollo Ohno, soul patches are out. Patches are okay on some younger men, once you get older though, it's a turn-off.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 287
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:04:39 PM
Does a beard make me look older. I'd say most likely. But it's hard for a guy to explain the allure of having a beard. It's kind of like turning a different face to the world sometimes.

For instance, I've been watching the History Channel documentaries about "The Bible" and "Vikings". Having a beard almost makes me feel like I could have been an extra on the set of either of these documentaries. After parting the waters of Lake Erie, I think I'll plunder and pillage the Egyptians......

I just think it's fun to change my look. And, I intend to have fun with it. Until it ceases to be fun.
 lostsoultoo
Msg: 288
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:20:39 PM
15111958- just read your profile and was half finished before I got your explanation, LOL. Very true!!
 Fleuron
Msg: 289
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:20:51 PM
I love me some NICE mutton chops (like on Wolverine). They’re manly and sexy and that’s the ideal result of facial hair, IMO. Of course they look best with a well trimmed mustache and beard, not just sitting there all by themselves. :p

Some men can pull it off really, really well…..other men just can’t and probably shouldn’t try.

I don’t think facial hair inherently makes a man look older, necessarily….I think it makes him look sexier. :D

If I was a man I would grow a big bushy one and style it in unusual ways.

Scott Ian "King Tut" chin beard??.....

How about Victor Buono’s “King Tut” beard? The way it stuck out from his chin used to freak me out when I was a kid….now he freaks me out because his nose looks disturbingly like a penis.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 290
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:28:21 PM
Does a beard make me look older. I'd say most likely. But it's hard for a guy to explain the allure of having a beard. It's kind of like turning a different face to the world sometimes.

In your case, I don't think the beard makes you look any older. Upon viewing your other photo without it, I can see that the beard hides your jawline---which is probably not as defined as it was when you were younger and slimmer.

I really don't mind beards and moustaches together. It's the moustache by itself that I don't care for---I think it's an outdated look.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:36:12 PM

The only way facial hair helps men look younger is a beard that hides their disappearing jawline.

Maybe so, but I constantly get compliments on my gotee
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:40:39 PM
Deere, the goatee looks good on you.... No grey either, good for you.
 kidab
Msg: 293
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:49:00 PM
I think it depends on the man. I personally LOVE facial hair on most men. I also appreciate lots of body hair... weird I know. The beard/'stache should always be neat and clean.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 6:12:49 PM
Kidab- you have a lot to choose from!

I prefer minimal body hair. Hair sweaters are downright gross to me.
 DragonBits
Msg: 295
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?
Posted: 3/10/2013 7:11:52 PM
I had a beard and mustache for 35 years. started going bald around 28. Sometimes I would shape it into a goatee.

About 7 years ago I shaved my head, the only hair left was on the fringes and it seemed better to go bald. Then 3 years ago, I shaved my beard, and lost 30 lbs and shaved off my mustache about 6 months ago.

In the past my ex-wife would color my beard and mustache to match my hair, she had owned a beauty salon and was a professional with hair care, it didn't look bad that way, but without her it was a much bigger bother.

This is a pic from 1999 when I still have a full beard, mustache and was 30 lbs heavier. I look younger without the beard and mustache, plus it is easier to maintain.
 larissan04
Msg: 296
Posted: 3/10/2013 7:32:06 PM
i think facial hair dates a man, but of course, it depends on the style. the mustache by itself if always very dated. it's just not in style at this time, but perhaps if a man is dating a woman who is older she might be into that. the whole goattee thing just says "white trash" want to be to me. i don't like the look, and the goattee is very 90s. it's done. over. period. men that are clean cut and clean shaven look more youthful. there are a few men that actually look good with facial hair, but they are few and far between (tom selleck, eric clapton, etc.). as a rule general rule it's probably safer for a man to be clean shaven.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:56:56 PM
Thanks Doremi. My goatee is staying.. for now

I will shave it, when I go grey , but I have high hopes ,
as my 1/2 cherokee, 80 yr. old mother , hasn't got a grey hair in her head
 perre62
Msg: 298
Posted: 3/10/2013 10:55:11 PM
Sam Elliot, without his 'stache?!

Tom Selleck?!

Whoa!!
 ROBB_IN_RENO
Msg: 299
Posted: 4/12/2013 12:08:30 PM
Well....I know, from experience, a lot of women that still like their guy
to be a man's man. If ya like your beard, don't let'm change ya. Let them
be with you for you, and not for someone they want you to be. So girls,
..... Save a horse and ride a cowboy.....:)
 Archiver
Msg: 300
Posted: 4/12/2013 1:20:42 PM
It does seem like most of the male baby boomers do have facial hair. The mustache -goatee combination is the most frequent. I love hairy men (speaking as an old hippie), but ironically my SO, whom I met online, is clean shaven. He does have a full head of hair which is at a nice shaggy length. He hates his gray, so he has his hair professionally colored, foiled even! It looks great.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?