Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justlookinflorida
Msg: 301
Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?Page 13 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
For me, I am attracted to men with facial hair. IMO that's what separated the men from the boys when I was a young lady. I am still very attracted to facial hair. I can even say that I am not at all attracted to clean shave men. Not at all.
 12thour
Msg: 302
Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?
Posted: 4/14/2013 8:25:30 PM
I don't like facial hair on a man...at all...none...nada...

That is because I have sensitive skin and facial hair tears my face up.
 springorfall
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2015 7:16:54 AM
No matter what their age, most of the men I've found most attractive have been clean shaven and I've been majorly put-off by beards of the 'duck hunters' variety. Having said that, some guys do look better with a little facial hair - a well groomed (close) beard or goatee, but my preference usually is for clean shaven men. Smooth skin is yummy to kiss. But you'll find some women love beards, mustaches, etc. and there are those who think 'bushier the better"; lots of different preferences, luckily. Be however you feel most comfortable, whatever makes you feel best about yourself - self-confidence can be a very attractive attribute.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 304
Posted: 5/24/2015 8:33:37 AM
In the Northwest, I think older men's wild facial hair reflects a yen for bygone days of the untamed frontier or the Wild West. Reminds me of Yosemite Sam. Older men would look 10 years younger without their white beards.

Although Alaska men see themselves as "rugged individuals," they all look the same. Stringy, long, gray ponytails, bushy, unkempt beards, old plaid shirts, dirty jeans and hiking boots. Repulsive.

I prefer a clean-shaven, well-groomed man.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 305
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2015 10:41:24 PM
I live in the Northeast, and I see the same kind of men, Literate Hiker....and I agree...R-E-P-U-L-S-I-V-E!
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 306
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2015 11:06:53 PM
white hair is ageing on either sex. Some may look distinguished perhaps but a white beard on a man is definitely not youthful. I like long hair to the shoulders on a man if he has strong neck and shoulders. I am a baby boomer and the hippy look I find rather attractive. If I were a man I am sure I would have a beard and/or long hair.

However the scrawny ponytail on an otherwise balding head is not attractive in the least. Men who sport a moustache and a beard can be covering up a weak mouth and many women don't like them. For me it depends on the man. They say a man with a beard and/or moustache is not getting a sex life. True or not??
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 307
Posted: 5/26/2015 3:38:10 AM
I prefer a man whose facial hair is neatly trimmed and clean.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 308
Posted: 5/26/2015 3:48:36 AM

They say a man with a beard and/or moustache is not getting a sex life. True or not??

Hmm.....I guess that could be true if "they" are women who don't like beards and or moustaches.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 309
Posted: 5/26/2015 5:43:16 AM
The salt and pepper Beard, To shave It, or not to shave it....NOT to shave it.!!
Beards have a lusty presence, Grooming is worth the effort, keep your beard well trimmed, and cleaned. The moustache MUST be trimmed above the lip
Not all men can grow a nice beard, if that is your the case, then you should shave it off.

It can make men look a little older, but it is undeniable that the beard will make him LOOK MORE MASCULINE......mmmmhmmmm!!!!!

I do like facial hair on men. I like hairy men...A LOT.
My attraction towards hairy men is like a fetish, if a man have no hair on face and body, then he do not attract me sexually.
My ex and my now life partner are hairy, they have hair on the face and chest. If he shaves it, then I do not feel that arousal of sexual desire towards him....Fetishism?...LOL.!!
I don't care if the man is bold, I like them, but he has to have hair everywhere else.
I do not like men with long hair or unkempt beard.!!
 SLAFFA
Msg: 310
Posted: 5/26/2015 2:23:08 PM
Golly, I see so many "strange" responses here...

Should women over the age of 15 wear a bra?

Last time I checked, no two Humans look exactly alike, even identical twins, male OR female.

I have a suspicion that more than a few females who have posted to this have no idea who TS, SE or RR [Jeremiah Johnson] are. I'm sure there are plenty of other men who can "pull it off".
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 311
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2015 11:46:44 PM
aprillikes

I am with you, I like a hairy man because it is masculine. Not so much on the back but on the chest, yes for sure. I also dont mind a bald man if he has a good looking face. As for shaving pubic area, definitely a turn off.
 grover14
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2015 9:12:17 AM
I've gone through this discussion alot about my shaved head. Same with facial hair. I've received many compliments about my beard. Bald head, nice tan, and white goatee. I keep it perfectly trimmed. But,like everything else, different people find different things attractive. I definitely limited my chances by keeping a shaved head and goatee. What counts is I like it. If I were to find a woman who I really liked, I would shave my face for her.
 honeycognac
Msg: 313
Posted: 6/5/2015 7:25:36 PM
So what would you forum readers do if you met a man who had a lot of wonderful qualities, and he has the wild mountain man stuff going on? He's got one picture on here where he looks good - trimmed real close. We've had three dates and I don't want to hurt his feelings but this is probably a deal-breaker - I think it's gross. Any advice/opinions?
 grover14
Msg: 314
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2015 4:50:15 AM
Honeycognac, I'm not sure why anyone would want to look like a mountain hillbilly, I guess we are running out of new styles. Maybe you could offer to take him for a make over. I guess I'm on the exact opposite of the spectrum when it comes to style.
 honeycognac
Msg: 315
Posted: 6/6/2015 4:49:02 PM
grover14, yours looks impeccably groomed. Maybe I should show him your picture lol? I'd love to take him for a makeover.
 grover14
Msg: 316
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2015 4:57:24 PM
honeycognac, yes I keep the beard groomed, doesn't take much. It's the rest of my daily grooming routine that takes alot of time, as you can imagine. Luckily I'm retired and have the time for the shaving. I see you're from Winnipeg, maybe he thinks he needs all that hair to keep warm.
 cooldog65
Msg: 317
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2015 3:05:52 AM
Some of us here in the Northwest wear their facial hair short and nearly trimmed. Mine is a style referred to as a "chinstrap beard".
 honeycognac
Msg: 318
Posted: 6/7/2015 1:24:25 PM
That looks good cooldog65; very stylish.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 319
Posted: 6/7/2015 3:33:44 PM

So what would you forum readers do if you met a man who had a lot of wonderful qualities, and he has the wild mountain man stuff going on? He's got one picture on here where he looks good - trimmed real close. We've had three dates and I don't want to hurt his feelings but this is probably a deal-breaker - I think it's gross. Any advice/opinions?

Offer to shave him. It could be quite provocative and exciting. :) Maybe he’s got gorgeous skin and face under the squirrel nest. Or offer to trim it yourself.

If that’s too intimate too soon, you could throw hints at him, like “I’d love to know what you look like clean shaven,” and hope he looks good. :/ Or you could tell him his whiskers would irritate your skin… that’s true for me with wild beard hair. My face broke out in a bright red rash immediately.

IMO it would be crass and unkind to suggest a makeover to a man. On the other hand, if you find him “gross” even with his wonderful qualities, you may just have to say goodbye. :(

Good luck!
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 320
Posted: 6/7/2015 3:51:40 PM
"Reminds me of Yosemite Sam."

haha!

Stringy, long, gray ponytails, bushy, unkempt beards, old plaid shirts, dirty jeans and hiking boots.

There's a fair amount of that sort of thing around here, interestingly. The aging ZZTop biker look. If we are talking PURELY "looks" here, and not politics or personality/lifestyle, I vastly prefer a clean face, or, a small 'stash/goatee, like Petyr Baelish on Game of Thrones..great example of my sort of facial hair thing. You can still see someone's lovely face. No facial hair even better, but it should not be seen as a "you're being critical of men" it's...I am such a fan of a gorgeous male face I want to SEE it all the time. No hair in the way!

I mean, check out "CastAway" with Tom Hanks. Look what he looks like at the end of his stay on the island, then you cut to him completely cleaned up and on a plane home. VASTLY different look.

I agree that the straggly pony tail/aging hippy thing is not the most attractive, but I would probably get along better with someone with those values (more liberal) than a clean cut conservative Republican.

So, there you go.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 321
Posted: 6/7/2015 5:30:55 PM

What counts is I like it. If I were to find a woman who I really liked, I would shave my face for her.

This is nice to hear. I don't really like the hassle of long hair, but I always styled it the way my ex husband liked it.
 honeycognac
Msg: 322
Posted: 6/9/2015 9:20:43 PM
Thanks for the advice sunshinegirl. I think as, or if we progress I'll feel comfortable to throw some hints his way about loving to see what he'd look like clean-shaven.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 323
Posted: 6/10/2015 12:08:55 AM
I think bushy ass beards look like shit. They look even dumber on guys who otherwise look "metrosexual". I see that crap downtown all the time.

I often ask myself what woman could POSSIBLY want to stick her face in that mess to kiss them?

Oh, well. That's their problem to deal with. Not mine.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2016 8:03:14 PM
Some men look good with neatly trimmed beards....others are pretty gross....
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 325
Posted: 11/8/2016 6:22:43 AM

Second part - I have seen some ladies on here expressing that they wanted a man who was "clean shaven". I'm a bit confused about that. Does that mean absolutely NO facial hair, including no mustache?

I interpret such remarks as "You should never have any facial hair of any kind". I immediately hit the back button on POF, vote no on Tinder, and hide the profile if on OK. Good of them to be up front so I don't waste any more time reading their profile or trying to contact them. It would be hell having to shave before every date and shaving regularly if you end up living with her.

As to looking younger, things have changed since the thread began in 2009. Two or three years ago the hipsters tried to grow beards. With zillions of 20-something millennial punks trying to sport facial hair, people might associate beards with youth. The trend is a mixed bag. On a positive note, younger gals might view me as resembling the guys her age, so I might not seem too old for her. Many younger guys shave their heads, also helping me attract the youner gals because my natural lack of hair looks like the shaved young dudes. On a negative note, girls / women have become less attracted to facial hair since hipsters ruined the look (as they ruin any style, for example the aforementioned flannel shirts in the Pacific Northwest were macho until Seattle band listening, latte sipping grunge punks ruined flannel shirts by wearing them).

I have a multicolored beard. Some white hairs (pure white, not grey) appeared as early as age 27. The beard looks best when other colors above the white ones grow long enough to cover the white ones. Perhaps someday the whole thing will turn white.

One man who looked older when he shaved his beard was baseball legend Ozzie Smith. He had a beard most of his career and looked youthful. In 1990 he shaved the beard and looked old.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?