Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 newoldgirl
Msg: 321
Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?Page 15 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

What counts is I like it. If I were to find a woman who I really liked, I would shave my face for her.

This is nice to hear. I don't really like the hassle of long hair, but I always styled it the way my ex husband liked it.
 honeycognac
Msg: 322
Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?
Posted: 6/9/2015 9:20:43 PM
Thanks for the advice sunshinegirl. I think as, or if we progress I'll feel comfortable to throw some hints his way about loving to see what he'd look like clean-shaven.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 323
Posted: 6/10/2015 12:08:55 AM
I think bushy ass beards look like shit. They look even dumber on guys who otherwise look "metrosexual". I see that crap downtown all the time.

I often ask myself what woman could POSSIBLY want to stick her face in that mess to kiss them?

Oh, well. That's their problem to deal with. Not mine.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2016 8:03:14 PM
Some men look good with neatly trimmed beards....others are pretty gross....
 VikingHoosier
Msg: 325
Posted: 11/8/2016 6:22:43 AM

Second part - I have seen some ladies on here expressing that they wanted a man who was "clean shaven". I'm a bit confused about that. Does that mean absolutely NO facial hair, including no mustache?

I interpret such remarks as "You should never have any facial hair of any kind". I immediately hit the back button on POF, vote no on Tinder, and hide the profile if on OK. Good of them to be up front so I don't waste any more time reading their profile or trying to contact them. It would be hell having to shave before every date and shaving regularly if you end up living with her.

As to looking younger, things have changed since the thread began in 2009. Two or three years ago the hipsters tried to grow beards. With zillions of 20-something millennial punks trying to sport facial hair, people might associate beards with youth. The trend is a mixed bag. On a positive note, younger gals might view me as resembling the guys her age, so I might not seem too old for her. Many younger guys shave their heads, also helping me attract the youner gals because my natural lack of hair looks like the shaved young dudes. On a negative note, girls / women have become less attracted to facial hair since hipsters ruined the look (as they ruin any style, for example the aforementioned flannel shirts in the Pacific Northwest were macho until Seattle band listening, latte sipping grunge punks ruined flannel shirts by wearing them).

I have a multicolored beard. Some white hairs (pure white, not grey) appeared as early as age 27. The beard looks best when other colors above the white ones grow long enough to cover the white ones. Perhaps someday the whole thing will turn white.

One man who looked older when he shaved his beard was baseball legend Ozzie Smith. He had a beard most of his career and looked youthful. In 1990 he shaved the beard and looked old.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 326
Posted: 11/8/2016 8:07:23 AM
I was talking to a gentleman at starbucks the other day who had a grey beard
that he had braided and tied with a red elastic and bead.

He had on a suit and tie and was getting a fancy latte. I usually blurt out
I love your hair! (shoes, purse, make up) but I didn't say anything at all about his
braid. I'm pretty sure he expected me to, I suspect it often times starts conversations.
I thought it looked stupid.

To each their own of course.

I'm sure there are things about me people don't like, but I can't think of anything right
off the top of my head.
 grover14
Msg: 327
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2016 8:19:37 AM
Well, I'm glad I am at the point that my appearance is not how fashion dictates or what is trendy. I've always had facial hair and I shave my head for a few,reasons, mainly I like how I look bald. I'm not a fan of the long beard trend, but to each his own. Everyone has different likes, as long as your well groomed and clean.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 328
Posted: 11/19/2016 5:45:02 PM
Long-lived threads like this are interesting to me because I, and a man I dated for several years, posted on this thread in 2010 so I have the opportunity to consider whether my opinion has changed over the years.

I like facial hair that is soft and well-kept. Almost every man I've ever considered we were 'in a relationship' has had a beard and mustache. But I still don't think of facial hair in terms of making the man look older or younger. It's more that I like the added 'complexity' it gives to their faces. Sure, as we age there's more grey mixed in but I'm fine with that. For some reason even grey hair doesn't automatically make me think 'old'; maybe because I started going grey in my 20s.

One thing I noticed when comparing pics of my former fishie from 2010 and 2015 is that the specific pattern his beard has greyed makes him look like he's always frowning; which is unfortunate because he has (to me) such a kind face that is now hidden by the illusion.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 329
Posted: 11/19/2016 6:08:27 PM
Always? Were you born with a beard?
too many men have unkept ones
Or they need to fill them in like brows
Beard on Fleek Phil
 BlasphemousBombshell
Msg: 330
Posted: 11/19/2016 8:24:40 PM
Facial hair does make a man look older. So what?!?! Most primate females are hot for silverbacks with salt and pepper hair and a greying goatee. That crap screams "mature male in the troupe!". Fighting against aging is futile. It reeks of being unable to accept one's mortality, which is a pretty unenlightened position. We put way too much value on superficial shallow crap like youth and dont value wisdom or experience. What a backwards culture.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 331
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2016 2:55:34 AM
Most men don't practice good "beard hygiene."
 cooldog65
Msg: 332
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2016 4:07:18 AM
^^^^^ I'm so glad I'm not most men.

Ladies...Feel free to stroke and caress my facial hair!
 Strider324
Msg: 333
Posted: 11/21/2016 1:50:58 PM
Having had a mustache since 18, on my divorce at 55 I shaved it off. I can admit that I was pleased that a lot of people I knew remarked that I looked the proverbial "10 years younger" - so my vanity moved me to keep it off. But now at 62, I don't give a shyt about looking younger than I am, just as I expect women to look their age (Luv a woman with the confidence of her natural hair!). So now, I'm embracing my Celtic roots and have started growing my stache, goatee, and hair out. Druid cosplay, here I come.... ;-)
 Strider324
Msg: 334
Posted: 11/21/2016 1:54:24 PM
Oh, and speaking of hair - what is it with men and nose hair?? I have had many women make the point of thanking me for the fact that I groom my nose hair (braiding it seems so tedious).

Seriously, is this a common issue?
 BlasphemousBombshell
Msg: 335
Posted: 11/21/2016 2:20:21 PM
Older men having ungodly nose and ear hair IS actually a rather common issue. Its really such an easy thing to get rid of, I don't understand why men don't clean that up more.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 336
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2016 4:29:49 PM
I'd say so. I sported a mustache for many years. Now, at age nineteen, looking older so that I could walk into any bar and drink without question was a good reason to have one. But at age forty, I wasn't thrilled about the grey ones invading, so I got rid of it.

No, nose and ear fur isn't at all. Snipping my ear hairs sounds a lot like cutting wire. And removing the nose hair makes me sneeze. But I do both.
 Damilovely
Msg: 337
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2016 4:30:07 AM
Well kept facial hair can make a man look distinguished.
Clean shaven usually makes a man look younger but distinguished appeals to me more than youth. Perhaps over 50s will benefit from less facial hair and in turn look more youthful.
 cooldog65
Msg: 338
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2016 10:52:59 AM
This distinguished gentleman is swooning for the lovely lass above me...
 Ouija2025
Msg: 339
Posted: 12/1/2016 11:36:08 AM
I was going to say when she posted you'd be delighted :)
make your move
 cooldog65
Msg: 340
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2016 12:05:06 PM
^^^^^ She's in the UK...

I could imagine the sexy English accent...
 Ouija2025
Msg: 341
Posted: 12/1/2016 12:32:23 PM
there are these metal thingies fly in the sky.
Shall I get the cold water bucket now?
Love an English accent
 dallasdoer
Msg: 342
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2016 2:03:08 PM
To answer the original question it depends on the guy and the girl
lots of gals want no facial hair
if a guy has a turkey neck, then a goatee mike make him look younger, assuming it was not grey
but then he could die it, just like women die theirs.
Generally, I think women who want to kiss [which means most all ladies, other than of the night]
do not want bushman to do it with
BTW if she is old with a turkey neck, her alternative is plastic surgery
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 343
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2016 3:25:44 PM
some say a man with stubble or growth on his face is not having a sex life. Beards and moustaches often hide an unattractive mouth
or a weak chin, but I rather like them, on some men.
 LincsAndy
Msg: 344
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2017 4:51:19 AM
Facial stubble makes me look younger OR older, depending on whether my head is shaved, which it usually is. That's now... when I was overweight, facial hair *always* made me look older.
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 345
Posted: 1/28/2017 12:56:31 PM
I think it's sexy as hell

up to a certain length

when it gets Rip Van Wrinkle/ZZ top size? not so much
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?