Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 26
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?Page 2 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
...Always been a little bit partial to men with facial hair..I think it looks damn sexy.

* wolf whistle*

....maeflowers
 karma1160
Msg: 27
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?
Posted: 7/18/2009 4:58:48 PM
I personally don't think the same rules apply to everyone.
I have seen men over 45 that look very good with no hair facial or otherwise.
I have also seen guys that look good in moustaches and beards that were over 45.
I will have to say that moustaches sometimes hide those lines above ones lips.
I do think that if you have grey in your beard than it looks better tight to the face and not with a bunch of kinky greys sticking out of the sides.
either way this isn't a deal breaker its hair.
 Fifi47
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/18/2009 6:29:54 PM
It's the eyebrows that get me, seems as if some of them are about as bushy as a moustache, waxing and trimming really helps with that scenario.
 gardenpixy
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/18/2009 11:26:23 PM
i think it is a personal preference, both yours and the lady's. I happen to like facial hair, both mustache and beard, but again am far more concerned with the person inside and how happy he is with himself, then pick away at his looks.
Makes you older or younger, not sure about that, but it does add character, that could be very pleasing.....then again there are people who look better without, then with.
Personally i do not think it should be a deal breaker, as the woman who wants to create a perfect image of a man for herself, likely will be picking at you for other things that are really neither here nor there...its a one upmanship "proove that you love me by doing or not doing such and such"
 ForumFilly
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/19/2009 9:18:39 AM
I've been with men who shave their facial hair, men with mustaches only, men with mustaches and soul patches, men with Van Dykes and men with full beards. All have been well groomed. I find a man who shaves regularly but then skips a day or two, his stubble is MUCH more irritating than a man's well-groomed and trimmed bed or goatee. Generally, once the mustache and/or the beard have grown out, it isn't irritating. Stubble is what is irritating.

Full beards generally make a man look older, whereas, to me, goatees and Van Dykes can vary. To me, it's up to the man... if he prefers to have facial hair, terrific. If he decides to shave, that's fine too. It's his face and he should do what makes HIM feel better about himself.
 eschec mat
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/19/2009 9:27:40 AM
Some men look good with facial hair, some look good without, some men look funny when they shave, some men look funny when they grow facial hair, etc. But I always think it makes a man look older with it. I have seen before and afters and usually the afters they look younger, not always better just younger.
 moraima
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 9:44:47 AM
"I find a man who shaves regularly but then skips a day or two, his stubble is MUCH more irritating than a man's well-groomed and trimmed bed or goatee. "

I totally agree. I have been fortunately enough to have only had relationships with men who cared enough about how they felt about themselves and they shave either once or twice a day. Their choice, and my pleasure.

Trimmed facial hair makes me feel itchy just looking at it, never mind having it rubbed on my face.

"Generally, once the mustache and/or the beard have grown out, it isn't irritating."

It is to me.

"Stubble is what is irritating."

Both are irritating - stubble more so. Much easier for me to stay away from either, and only cuddle up to clean shaved. My man comes out of the bathroom after showering and shaving - looks, feels and smells like I need to get closer. What a turn on.
 jaqi
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 10:23:52 AM
I have never met a guy that I thought looked attractive with a monstrocity oops sorry moustache under their nose... and I never realised how many Americans wear them in such an outdated way. Not my thing... thank god for freedom of choice. My ex bf had one when we got together swearing it was there forever till he decided in a moment of bravery to shave it off and has never looked back... it took 10 years off him!
 strollinbella
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/19/2009 1:15:36 PM
I used to prefer the moustached (sp) face over the one with no facial hair, but find myself preferring the clean shaven look more now than ever before.

Even a neatly trimmed beard can add years to a man's face.

Handlebar moustaches!! WTF!!!!
Moustaches that hang over the upper lip?!! Not attractive to me at all!!

As some of the other ladies have already mentioned, a day or two's worth of stubble can make for an unpleasant experience when being kissed.
 IndyBuddog
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 3:15:57 PM
Well, I do have a moustache and goatee, and I like to keep it trimmed fairly short. I have the pepper in the moustache and salt in the goatee. I've received compliments on it at times, but it is a personal preference for both men sporting it and women viewing it. Personally, I've struggled with the decision in shaving the goatee, and I still do every now and then. Does the silver goatee make me look older? Defiinitely, yes. The moustache is not optional - it's staying - as I would indeed feel naked without out.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 3:58:12 PM
sassyn wrote:
It all depends upon what color it is. If the hair on your head (if you have any) is brown and your beard or mustache comes in white....................................

This was / is my problem: still relatively brown hair and a grey beard & moustache. It made me look 20 years older. It also made me look like my dad, not am image I desired. So, a decade or so ago off it went - 20 + years gone in a few minutes.

I grew it back a year and a half ago to screw around with DMV: 3-4 months of untrimmed growth prior to ID photo. There is probably some law that says I should get photo retaken, but ... Played around with various trimmed styles after that but they all looked wrong, compared to how I viewed myself.

TK
{bzzz -- no more Santa}
 fancynanci
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2009 4:19:40 PM
I adore moustaches on men and 5:00 o'clock shadow is a big turn on for me.
 goldie_01
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/20/2009 7:16:19 AM
I guess it's up to you isn't it your face after all. Personally, I love facial hair on a man, have no idea why, but I've also dated clean shaven too, they just don't turn my head as fast as the bearded one. As far as looking younger or older, why do you care if someone is really into you and they lied about their age, and you were into her, would you dump her even though she looks much younger than she is. I know this has nothing to do with hair, but the are thousands of us out there getting ready to turn over the BIG one, personally I prefer younger men, they are more fun and they want to learn how to please a woman. They don't mind asking and I think that alot of people our age are still intimidated to say hey baby get on your knees and blow me I just had a bad day at work. Not all women would do it, but you might be surprised what "conversation" will bring up (no pun intended) anyway this has nothing to do with facial hair...
 ladyblu1950
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/20/2009 7:28:16 AM
To all

My thoughts are who cares whether they look younger or older with facial hair,men, I love a man who has a full beard and mustache well kept. That would be like telling a woman she has to have long hair.
 moraima
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2009 7:52:29 AM
Men fall all over women with long hair..............lesson is that some men go for long hair with a passion and some women go for clean shaved with a passion/man with facial with a passion. We all have preferences, and have the right too. Nothing personal. Just what we are and are not comfortable with.
 Seashore1126
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/20/2009 4:42:16 PM
I think that well groomed facial hair is the key. If it is wild and wooly, even a young man will look older. I like facial hair, I think it makes a man look more distinguished.
 TimothyPaul001
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/20/2009 8:24:00 PM
Hi DaytonDennis,

The answer is .... facial hair makes men look older.

That is if you believe the results of a recent experiment. Subjects were asked to guess the age of men with and without facial hair. The men with facial hair were judged to be about 5 years older on average.

So if you want to look as young as possible, shave.

Sincerely,

Timothy
 cooldude
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/21/2009 2:05:48 AM

Facial hair, especially mustaches where a huge fashion statement in the 70 and 80's. Today the styles have change greatly, but many men haven't done an update.

I will say that about 70% of the local male profiles my age how 70's style facial hair.

Tattoo's are so 2000BC....they have been around for at least that long, no sign they are going away soon. Mustaches have been around a lot longer then the 70's.
 moraima
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 5:37:07 AM
Unfortunately, society has icons. They give us some idea of trends................what is popular in a particular decade. I can't think of a single icon today that has facial hair, except maybe (don't know what it is the style) the few hairs on the chin of some Rappers.

Tattoo styles change. Facial hair style (lack of facial hair styles) change too. Some people time lock into the style of the youth. Regardless facial hair makes a man look older usually. After all, is the reason most men started to where facial hair to make themselves look older?
 cooldude
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/21/2009 7:17:21 AM

I can't think of a single icon today that has facial hair, except maybe (don't know what it is the style) the few hairs on the chin of some Rappers.

Mr. T
Dusty Hill and Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top
Chuck Norris
Luciano Pavarotti
Orson Welles
Steven Spielberg
Willie Nelson
George Lucas
Sean Connery
Francis Ford Coppola
Vincent van Gogh
John Lennon
Jim Henson

Just to name a few.
 moraima
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 9:38:03 AM
I was refering to current icons.

All the people you have listed are icons from decades ago, who are either dead so they can't update their style, or they are still wearing the same style as when they first became popular, and hang on to it so people still recognize them.

Willie Nelson as an example of current style.........now that is funny.

If you want examples of todays icons national or international, look for actors, news anchors, hosts of tv shows etc. and you will see a lot of clean shaved faces.

When was the last time you saw a print ad where the male model had a beard or a mustache.
 flowerforce
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/21/2009 3:44:35 PM
I do not like facial hair on a man of any age. I most often pass up fellows with photos who have facial hair. Also I dislike long hair on a man. It makes him look like an ageing hippy. I also understand there are some women who love facial hair on a man so do what you want and be aware some women will respond to you and some will not.
 SeinfeldFan1
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/21/2009 4:17:25 PM
The most important thing is that you be the way you're most comfortable. To me, it all depends on the individual guy and if I like or love him, I don't care how much hair he has on his face (as long as he's well-groomed, of course).

Don't try to constantly morph yourself to suit others. Be the way you like yourself the best and let the women who like you just the way you are - come to you.
 cooldude
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/21/2009 4:39:32 PM

All the people you have listed are icons from decades ago, who are either dead so they can't update their style, or they are still wearing the same style as when they first became popular, and hang on to it so people still recognize them.

Ah, now your adlibing. 8 are still alive, Some of them actually added facial hair later in their careers.

When was the last time you saw a print ad where the male model had a beard or a mustache.

If we add 5 o'clock shadows quite a lot. You originally said facial hair, you added beards and mustaches later. Just in case you change the story. So that counts.
 moraima
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2009 4:46:30 PM
It would be interesting to me to have a professional barber/stylist, someone who trains young barbers, and some of work with those in the media or on the red carpet post about what styles are current today.............of course I wouldn't expect certain people to hear what they have to say.

Stay with what you know and what you are comfortable with for sure, but try to keep an open mind of what is possible for you style wise. You might surprise yourself and enjoy an update once you bit the bullet and got it done. Besides it is only hair and can always grow back if you really don't like the update.

"Ah, now your adlibing".

I can be accused of a lot of thing adlibing isn't one of them.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?