Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?Page 3 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

I've kissed men in the past whose hair was so wiry that my face was, literally, sanded raw. One man I asked to shave before we'd get together just so my face wouldn't end up peeling, not because of appearance or hygeine.

When I first met my boyfriend who turned 50 in December he had a large mustache and no beard. He also was going bald. After we were dating awhile he shaved his head. I'm all for the buzzed haircuts or bald look so I thought it looked good. I think having a shaved head makes him look younger too. He eventually started trimming his mustache. A few times I had a sore spot on my chin after kissing him. Now he is usually clean shaven, no facial hair and I think it does make him look younger. I prefer either no facial hair or the been a day or so without shaving stubble. Although it looks good it does chafe my face. He said it's easier to completely shave then to keep his mustache trimmed. He looks good either way. If he wanted to grow a full beard even though I don't much care for them I wouldn't be bothered by it.

I don't think the original question can be clearly answered. For some men facial hair makes them look older than they are but for others it does not. I don't think my SO looked anywhere near 50 even with his mustache but looks even younger without it.
 lateā„¢
Msg: 53
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?
Posted: 3/18/2010 12:20:20 PM
I look younger than my age with the beard or without, ...(thanks for the genes mom).

My facial hair is very soft, unless it's the part of my face I do shave, then the sandpaper effect manifests after just a few hours.

No problems with food, beverages or small critters residing on my face either.

My S.O. likes it, ...I can go either way, ...so it's her choice, ...so it stays.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/18/2010 5:01:08 PM
....A number of years ago I had the pleasure of kissing a man with a beard and mustache...and I liked how it felt. But whether or not it makes them look older or younger I guess I would have had to see them "hairless".

But for me, I think facial hair looks pretty darn sexy.

...mae
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 7:43:18 PM

Pffffffttttt!!! Who the heck cares??? LOL! myself.....I'm an absolute sucker for a man with a GREAT BEARD! I don't care if he's as bald as a cueball....LOL! but a nice beard....HEAVEN!
 platypus_man
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 12:24:20 AM
It really depends on the guy, and what condition the beard is in. A full, well trimmed beard can look really good (so I'm told). Just letting it grow raggedy makes a guy look homeless. Then again, once it's all white, we can let it grow real long, and get lots of attention from real young babes.....and I mean really young, the kind who want to sit on our laps and ask why we're not wearing our red suits, and what 'Santa' is bringing them for Christmas.
 ikyots
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/20/2010 2:11:22 PM
Fortunately, both my hair and goatee are almost all white! Personally, I think well-groomed facial hair enhances MY mediocre appearance, but I've seen some of my brethren would be better off clean-shaven. Bottom line for me...please yourself men, on the facial hair choice...it will show in your demeanor....some ladies will like it, others will not...yet another way to winnow the wheat from the chaff!!!
 amethyst10616
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 6:33:05 PM
I love facial hair on men, as long as it is well-grooomed and Lordy help me, if he is bald as well. I love that very sexy look. I am with you on that, GrandmaBooBoo.

The big thing is for him to groom it well and for it to be soft.
 TryAgan
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2010 11:47:05 PM
OP

It really depends on the lighting and the photographer. You can do wonders these days in Photoshop.
 MissTulip
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/9/2010 6:10:22 PM
Well, you have hit on one of my "great mysteries." Why, or why, does a man, one he gets older and/or re-enters the dating scene, grow a lot of facial hair? No matter when or where, when I have discussed this with other women, the general feeling is always this: a lot of facial hair makes an old man look even older. It makes a middle-aged man look old-aged. Shave it off! Men, do YOU want to kiss a hairy mess? Neither do we women!
 cooldude
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/10/2010 6:49:21 PM

I think the world would be a better place with fewer mustaches in it. The mustache is dated, so if your thing is to try to look as you did in the 80s, it's up to you. Honestly, I think that most men, younger and older, simply look better without.

Dated is a relative term. Tattoo's are rather dated, 5K years. But still going strong.
 *topchef*
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/10/2010 8:54:11 PM
Not many can pull off a great look with facial hair IMO. Personal preference. Most facial hair is not soft enough for any amount of extended nuzzling. I look at some profiles and think they grew their stache in the 70's and havent looked back. If they wait about another 8-10 years or so....it might be back in style. For me, clean and clean cut always is appealing. Especially if you let me cut your hair.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2010 11:19:31 AM
Considering this guy was gone a year ago.... with or without facial fuzz.

Some guys look good and others don't, some look older with and others older without. I don't have a problem with the vision of hirsute men... but if they are.... the beard/'stache better be a softy... 'cause pokey ones hurt. Which is why I would think, most women usually prefer.... clean shaven .
 english lass
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/25/2010 12:41:07 PM
older

and 'clean shaven' generally means, 'no facial hair', in my understanding
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/26/2010 9:35:56 PM
I'm a member of the 'prefer clean-shaven men' camp. It's what I grew up around and feel most comfortable with, having lived on Army bases for most of my childhood. All the officers on the bases, including my father, were clean-shaven, although some of the enlisted men sported a small moustache.

Perhaps if I had grown up in a more liberal environment, I might feel differently, but I'm just not attracted to men with facial hair, and never have been. And yes, I do think facial hair ages a man; I've noticed this especially when they have a lot of gray in their beards and moustaches. They may think it hides their laugh lines or wrinkles, but it just gives them an old, grizzled look in my opinion.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/27/2010 5:04:57 AM
I'm in the camp of who gives a crap if they look "older or younger"...
I just think... older or younger than what?
I also just think... does any of that really matter?
The "look old" "look young" stuff.. why does that really matter?
Not in my world.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/27/2010 3:28:41 PM
The man in my life is smokin' HOT with the mustache. I'm a fan of really trendy goatees and even the 5 oclock shadow look, but I have never seen a man with a full beard that did a thing for me. That reminds me of my Grandpa.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/27/2010 11:40:55 PM
Growing my beard out to keep the superficial woman at a distance. Only the ones interested in my personality and education will dare stand close to me.....or simply email and never meet.

Life can be so simple!
 URXO2
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2010 8:07:35 AM
Some have commented that facial hair makes a man look older, wake up gals we're posting on the over 45 forum, we are older..
What does facial hair really signify, the principle male sex hormone is testosterone, it's also responsible for secondary sex characteristics ( e.g., facial hair )
 URXO2
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2010 7:51:55 AM

looks good, you got my vote!

wink,wink, your vote puts it over the top for me...
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/2/2010 2:03:50 PM
Most men's moustaches and beards are unkempt, which make them downright nasty!.....give me clean shaven, please!
 forumfishie
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/7/2010 8:00:21 PM
I think you look older with your moustache.
I have a friend you age, he has had a moustache since the 70's
It is all grey, with very few "peppers" in it

When I see a moustache
I think he must be:

Village people cop
motorcycle cop
Firefighter
Helicopter pilot
Pilot
 browneyesboo
Msg: 73
Posted: 6/14/2010 11:57:46 AM
People are judged superficially all the time.
It's not a double standard. Even though people think
they are being "judged" for something someone else
doesn't like about them, it all comes down to personal
preference. It matters what you look like only in that
people have to be attracted to you. It's pretty much
that simple.

People are "judged" everyday for their weight, height,
facial hair, looks, education, etc etc etc.

With that said, I was with my ex for 30 years and in those
30 years I think I only saw him clean shaven half a dozen
times. I don't think my daughters (who are 27 and 30) have
ever seen him clean shaven. Since I've been single, I've met
some men with beards and without...and like anything else...
some looked good and some didn't.

Nothing shallow about not liking beards and speaking from
personal experience with the ex...he looked years younger when
he shaved his off.
 URXO2
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2010 9:39:24 AM
It seems superficial to me, some of you ladies
seem to be discriminating wanting someone to
shave so he'll look younger, chasing youth..
the immortal look of youth, there is no fountain of youth,
we age it's a fact, the exterior ages, some faster then
others, but all become old and wrinkled..
Maybe it's time to look beyond the superficial exterior
to the interior being to find true happiness....
 browneyesboo
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/15/2010 11:23:31 AM

It seems superficial to me, some of you ladies
seem to be discriminating wanting someone to
shave so he'll look younger, chasing youth..
the immortal look of youth, there is no fountain of youth,
we age it's a fact, the exterior ages, some faster then
others, but all become old and wrinkled..
Maybe it's time to look beyond the superficial exterior
to the interior being to find true happiness....

I thought the question was "does facial hair on men over
45 make them look older or younger?" The answer for
some is yes...some no.

Now if everyone followed the rest of your quote, there
would probably be no need for dating sites at all.
The reality is...people have to be attracted to your
superficial exterior to be interested in your interior.
Sad, but true. Especially in the fish pond via pictures.
 URXO2
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2010 11:55:43 AM
Browneyes. While you're quote holds truths it's also true whatever
we post here lets someone inside, closer to who we are, some of
the best posts I've read have came from posters without pictures..
It's truly a shame that Bigfish (Admin) has pulled the link to the Forum,
it's made us kind of an exclusive club...
If you fall in love with looks that's fleeting, if you fall in love with the person that's lasting...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?