Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mustBright
Msg: 77
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?Page 4 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
I don't know about other women, but I am always doing something new to my hair. The shade of color, highlights, new stylish cuts etc... keeps it interesting for me.
Guys, in my opinion should do the same-spice it up guys!!
Shave it, change the length, try a goatee geezzzzzz for awhile-it grows back;)
 Walts
Msg: 78
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?
Posted: 7/4/2010 7:07:54 AM
Make them look older than what,,,,,,45?????? What does 45 look like????? Just asking cause,,,,I can't even come close to figuring out what "average" is suppose to be in this day and age. I can't figure out what "athletic" is suppose to look like it either?????? Not according to descriptions here in this pond anyways...........

Like anything,,,,,and everything it's basically a personal choice,,,,on what your opinion is,,,,and the ones that decide to do what they do with their "look". What most of you forget(or don't realize) is that some of us out here in the real world do not make personal choices because of what others "think". Take that one to the bank and smoke it.
Of course it doesn't "fit" into the new and improved thinking that you should follow what others say and do,,,including what we wear, what we look like, and what we should buy on our next adventure the mall,,,,,this weekend.
 idahosun
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2010 7:56:18 PM
I see soooo many older men with mustaches and/or beards that are gray or nearly white and all I can say is OMG, why are you adding 20 years to yourself! It's as if there is a " Papa Hemingway fetish" or something when men get older...I don't get it because, in my eyes, it adds many years to guys I used to think were handsome...But would it stop me from dating someone, no, but I might suggest shaving it at some point because I don't like kissing all that hair - bleck.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/21/2010 2:13:59 PM

I think you look older with your moustache.
I have a friend you age, he has had a moustache since the 70's
It is all grey, with very few "peppers" in it

When I see a moustache
I think he must be:

Village people cop
motorcycle cop
Firefighter
Helicopter pilot
Pilot

or, of course, "gay"

oops bet he's firing up those clippers & Gillette Mach 3 as we speak!

the facial hair makes most people look older, certainly it did me when I tried it
 MsMicki
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2010 6:22:07 AM

I ADORE "most" men with a goatee. I find them very sexy. I have seen average looking men look hot by just having one. Of course, this is my own preference but yes I do really like a well-kept goatee on a man.

Count me in this group!
and it's just as sexy when it's white!
 MsMicki
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 8:45:05 AM
3 day growth is perfect
Feels good........everywhere
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/6/2010 5:44:12 PM
Men really don't have to look good to get dates. So it doesn't matter. If a man has a personality he'll get someone. The easiest thing to be is male, you stand upright, breathe, and some woman will want you.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/9/2010 5:12:58 PM
The only thing I don't care for on guys is, a full beard. And I am talking Z Z Top here...

Ugh!

Beards are ok - as long as they're kept neat and tidy, not sprouting all over the place like a bad weed patch!
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2010 6:58:51 PM
In regards to the specific question posted, well, I imagine it depends on the man. Some men look younger with facial hair, some older. Another question of personal preference, I guess.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2010 4:47:58 AM

grow a nice, trimmed goatee. They are soooo sexy.

Groan.......
 cooldude
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/10/2010 5:53:02 AM

Go the goatee! Guys, get rid of the beards and moustaches and grow a nice, trimmed goatee. They are soooo sexy.

goatee's contain a beard and a mustache.
 ronosaurus
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/10/2010 7:56:47 AM
The web site below has a gallery of photos showing various men's facial hair styles with the web site author's choice of names for the various styles.

http://menshair.about.com/od/facialhair/ig/Facial-Hair-Styles/Balbo.htm

Choice of names may vary across cultures, although Humpty Dumpty may not agree with your choice!!

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone,"it means just what I choose it to mean --- neither more nor less."

rearguard*2
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2010 3:01:20 PM

but THEY ARE SEXY

Okay, if I get down under I won't waste my time calling......

Personally, I prefer my women not to have significant facial hair. Long, curly blond hair, long legs, and a warm and friendly attitude are what sets me off on an amorous track. A goatee would be a turnoff.....
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/11/2010 12:11:12 PM

Long, curly blond hair, long legs, and a warm and friendly attitude are what sets me off on an amorous track.

Ok then.

Does facial hair make them look older? I prefer to say distinguished.

...mae
 rearguard*2
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2010 4:52:05 PM

Ok then.

Awwww...Mae,you know you stole my heart ages ago.....I have only gone for leggy blonds since I failed to win you over.....
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 94
Posted: 11/11/2010 7:26:17 PM
Does facial hair make them look older? I prefer to say distinguished

... with taste in women with you on his arm.

Yeah....it's like that Charlie Tuna commerical. Men don't want woman with good taste...they want woman who......nevermind. That didn't come out quite right did it?... lost in translation

Awwww...Mae,you know you stole my heart ages ago.....I have only gone for leggy blonds since I failed to win you over.....

You are good...I give you that.

To those who like to maintain their facial hair, just make sure it's well groomed, makes an enormous difference in one's appearance.
I kinda like the tickly feeling against the skin

...mae
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/29/2010 10:33:23 AM
Think I'd have to vote with: if HE looks into the mirror and likes what he sees, then I'm good with that. I kind of hope the reverse is true also.

Pygmalion projects nearly always fail, and are painful for both peeps involved.

abelian
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/30/2010 5:02:00 AM
I find it interesting that some of the comments from women in this thread that harp on men with beards looking old haven’t spent much time gazing in a mirror lately. Banged hair cuts from 1972,

Funny you should say that. I thought I looked much younger without a beard, but my fiancee wanted to see what I looked like with one, so I grew one. I looked older, especially since my beard is heavy and mostly grey, but she liked the beard. I shaved part of it off until I had one of those chin beards that seems rather popular and she liked that even better.

My fiancee had one of those banged haircuts from 1972, so when she needed to get her haircut, I told her I thought it would look better if she let her bangs grow out and she parted her hair on the side. When she went to my stylist (who is quite attractive and in her 20s), my fiancee gave her those basic guidelines and let my stylist whack away. My fiancee sat there looking horrified as my stylist lopped off about 4 inches of hair, but when all was said and done, my fiancee was happy with the result, even though it took her a while to get used to it.

The funny part is that both of us weren't quite used to what we looked like, so we solicited opinions from other people we knew. Almost everyone I knew, (including my best friend who is a woman almost 15 years younger than I am, her mother and other younger women I asked) loved the beard. (When I started dating here, I also asked my best friend how she thought I ought to get my hair cut and if I ought to have it colored to eliminate the gray so that I looked the best I could, since getting laid was more important than looking old and shaggy as far as I was concerned.)

Almost everyone my fiancee knew (including her young nieces, her younger sister, her father and her step mother) loved her haircut. The ONLY person who didn't like her haircut was her mother. the only person who wasn't keen on my beard was my mother. I think a lot of times, we aren't always the best judge of what looks good on us because we get stuck in the past, are comfortable with some style that may have looked good 20-30 years ago and are hesitant to change. (I mean, who wears a Ron Jeremy mustache these days except Ron Jeremy and guys who still think lieisure suits are cool?)

If my fiancee (and every other woman I know) likes the beard, who am I to argue that it doesn't look good on me? I still think it makes me look older, but the only reason I really care about what I look like to any degree or wearing clothes other than flip-flops and shorts (when I wear clothes at all) is because I want to be as attractive as I can be so I can get the attention of as many of the most attractive women I can, or now at least look as attractive as I can for my fiancee. I wouldn't have taken advice from frumpy women unless I wanted to date frumpy women.

Sorry, I don’t care if it makes me look older, the beard stays because I like it, and while I may shave it off here and there, for the most part I’m happy with it.

Fortunately, for a guy, looking older is not necessarily a bad thing. It's not a matter of looking older or younger. It's a matter of looking better or worse as far as the women a guy wants to date are concerned. Women have often told me that even things like crows feet can look good on a guy, so if my beard makes me look older, but still makes me look better, I'll live with older, as well. If it looks good to women I find attractive, I'm all for it. I'm not interested in what guys think and I've never had my hand reject me for self-service.

Oh, and I can’t remember the last time I had any food stuck in it.

I figure the kind of guys who do get food stuck in their beards are also the same guys who would have food dribbling down their chins and dripping onto their (polyester) shirts, (knit) ties, (double knit polyester) pants, etc., so women who make that complaint are really complaining about the guy's sloppiness and general cluelessness, not the beard.
 karma1160
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/1/2010 2:47:50 PM
Well I kind like hair, but if the person has like salt and pepper hair and there beard is all white and unkept I definitely think it ages the person.
I think the answer is keeping it short and well kept.
 Fifi47
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:18:07 AM
Depends on the man. I like mustaches and beards on some men, some look better without them to me. I dated a man a few years ago when he had a mustache, he moved out of the country, when I saw him a few years later I was appalled at how much he had aged . ( I am not naive enough to think that I had not aged also). He no longer had a mustache, which made him look older to me. He kept telling me that I looked at least 15 years younger than him, when he was actually 6 years older than me. I never said anything to him, guess he was paying me a compliment.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:35:55 AM

well, how can a guy offer a 'mustache ride' if he doesn't have one??
 ICtheLite
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2011 12:36:32 PM
Dayton: Part one, I think it depends on the woman, but yours looks good. For some weird reason I think a completely clean shaven face on a man over 45 makes them look older. Personally, I like a goatee on any man BUT those cheeks I like smooth.

Only a guess on part 2, but if they are saying 'clean shaven' I would presume they do mean no facial hair. No means No, lol.
 english lass
Msg: 101
Posted: 1/20/2011 1:12:21 PM
I don't like beards/moustaches

on me or men :)

(most of the time...VERY occasionally there's a guy who looks better with one, but that's def the exception and Not the rule, imo...and yup, I think they look older with one)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?