Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RoxanneR
Msg: 103
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?Page 5 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Sometimes they look older, depending on how much gray is in the beard. This makes me wonder how Guy Sharpe, an Atlanta weatherman years ago, would have looked, as his hair was prematurely silver, and his nickname was the Grey Ghost.
If they have lined faces, the beard may hide the lines, and they may look younger.
As for whether or not I like facial hair on men, it depends how well it's kept. I wouldn't like to smell cigarette smoke or find bits of food in a mustache or beard, and I do like it nicely trimmed rather than looking like a bush that has not been pruned.
 daffie
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Does facial hair on men over 45 make them look older or younger?
Posted: 2/8/2011 10:43:16 PM
dd...you'd most likely look years younger, and fresher, with a shaved face.
i don't know how old those pics., on your profile are but most older guys with hairy faces look as they are...old guys with hairy faces!

it's not a look i am personally fond of.
there's something completely unromantic about a hairy, smelly face...and yes, beards do smell after their wearer either eats a meal or has a drink.

then of course there is that escaping nostral hair...please guys, check the mirror regularly to spare us that ugly sight!...
 Ailliss
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/9/2011 3:26:10 AM
^^^^^^^
Agree with daffie and ruby.

"clean shaven". I'm a bit confused about that. Does that mean absolutely NO facial hair, including no mustache?

Yes, clean shaven means NO FACIAL HAIR.

Most older men have facial hair; they are just too lazy to shave. It’s unsanitary. If I were with someone and they wanted to grow facial hair….well, maybe; but starting out I cannot deal with it.
 DaytonDennis
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2011 4:25:48 PM
Wow... I didn't even know the forums still existed (or that my question was still be addressed).

I've had ladies (well, only a couple) tell me they couldn't be serious with a man with a mustache. I thought it was a moot point, since they would find me attractive to begin with! I wouldn't say I would NEVER shave it off for the right lady, but I wonder how she/they would react if I said I would shave it off, only if 15 pounds was shed on their side of the fence?

Attraction is attraction. The few pounds don't really bother me, if the rest the package (personality, etc) was a keeper. I'd like to think the mustache issue would follow the same path....
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2011 6:33:31 PM
Wow... I didn't even know the forums still existed (or that my question was still be addressed).

I've had ladies (well, only a couple) tell me they couldn't be serious with a man with a mustache. I thought it was a moot point, since they would find me attractive to begin with! I wouldn't say I would NEVER shave it off for the right lady, but I wonder how she/they would react if I said I would shave it off, only if 15 pounds was shed on their side of the fence?

I think I've answered this before but I was surprised the OP is still around to reply.lol

When I met my SO he had a fairly thick mustache like yours and I made the suggestion it might look better thinner. It wasn't a deal breaker I just prefer a man without one. After awhile of keeping it trim he shaved it off entirely. He thought it made him look younger and I agree, he's 51. He might let it grow out a day or two now and then which is sexy too but for the most part he is clean shaven. He was also going bald when we met and now he shaves his head too.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2011 9:44:34 PM

"Most older men have facial hair; they are just too lazy to shave. It’s unsanitary. If I were with someone and they wanted to grow facial hair….well, maybe; but starting out I cannot deal with it." I don't know what men you have been with in your time that had a beard, but take my word for it. To keep a beard properly you have to trim it almost everyday and wash it to keep it groomed.

That's why my SO said he shaved off the mustache completely. I certainly didn't tell him I wouldn't date him with the facial hair but he started trimming his mustache after we met. Then he decided it was more hassle to keep it looking trim than just go clean shaven.
 Ailliss
Msg: 109
Posted: 2/11/2011 4:44:28 AM

Do you shave or trim when it gets unsanitary?

Fortunately I have an abundance of estrogen so I have never sported a beard or mustache therefore I have no worries about being sanitary; unlike guys with facial hair.
 Laha Math
Msg: 110
Posted: 2/11/2011 8:29:08 PM
My puppy clip makes me look younger, also adorable, cuddly, and irresistible - a sure fire chick magnet.
 dawh38
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2011 12:16:21 AM
I've grown both the mustache and the beard.I've evan gone as far as a go tee.For me I prefer to be clean shaven.The facial hair "beard" makes me look years older.Didn't like the look whatsoever.
 Laha Math
Msg: 112
Posted: 2/13/2011 10:29:43 AM
When going out for the night I sprinkle the beard with a little fair trade organic dark chocolate powder from the heath food store, sure fire chick bait.
 MsMicki
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2011 12:55:50 PM
Yesterday......I ran into a guy I've known for years....and he has always had a mustache and goatee.
He had shaved it all off......and I must say...........he looked far better with the facial hair!
It had nothing to do with "aging" his face.....but covering up a face that somehow
highly resembles a bird without the hair!
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/13/2011 1:22:24 PM
I don't know whether or not facial hair makes a man look younger of older, but I do know facial hair doesn't do much for womens looks.
 oaklandish
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2011 10:54:16 PM
personally daytondennis I love your mustache on you-I wouldn't care if it made you look older or younger, I'd just enjoy it. I have always been partial to men with mustaches- haven't ever had a serious relationship with a man who was clean shaven but I just started emailing with someone who has no facial hair at all so go figure. I wouldn't tell him to grow facial hair for me.

Don't shave for anyone- I wouldn't cut my hair if someone said he thought it got in his way. You should be the one who wants to change- you have to look in the mirror every day- be happy at what/who you see.

To respond to other posters-No man I have ever dated has had problems keeping his 'stache and/or beard clean...and I am agreeing with dozens of people here that for some it may age them and others it won't just like hair styles....I happen to still like long hair on men- even pony tails if they are well trimmed and clean. I just get envious when the man's hair is longer than mine.
Peace
Oaklandish
 RoxanneR
Msg: 116
Posted: 2/15/2011 4:12:02 PM
Short or long, hair on the head doesn't matter to me, as long as it's well-kept. I don't mind if a guy has no hair; my father has a fringe from ear to ear, and he looks great. What I don't like is when a guy just shaves his hair clean off. Is it to be cool in the summer, or what? I prefer it when they leave their hair alone.
 itechman63
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2011 4:32:06 AM
A few years ago when it was mostly brown, my goatee did get a lot of positive attention. Now that it's mostly gray... not so much.

I don't really know how it looks to others but I do know that when I shaved it a few years ago and looked in the mirror... it was back a couple of days later.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/12/2011 11:35:40 AM
Older? Younger? who cares, I think it just looks sexy as hell, makes a guy look rugged and manly and ready to rumble.
 number_one
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/23/2011 9:13:11 AM
Beards and mustaches turns me off. The only time men grew breads when I grew up was for the 100th centennial. When I see a beard, goatee, mustache on a man the first thing I want to ask 'Are you gay?"; "Are there bugs in there"? I prefer a clean shaven man.
Today if a man isn't shaven the he must not be able to afford a blades. I don't' see why on earth anyone would hire a bearded man for a job.
 number_one
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/23/2011 9:22:21 AM
LAIrish, I feel the same way you do. The men just look.
"The younger guys on here are hitting on the older ladies for financial support and the older guys are hitting on the younger women for blow jobs".
 number_one
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/23/2011 9:24:32 AM
Laha Math, you beard makes you look older. You look like a hermit.
 coastalmermaid
Msg: 122
Posted: 8/23/2011 10:53:57 AM
Until reading this thread I've never thought about whether it made guys look older or younger than their age.

Made me think though...none of my ex's ever had any facial hair. I'm personally just not attracted to guys who have any kind of facial hair. It's a personal preference certainly NOT any kind of judgment on this who choose this option. I have never initiated contact with any guys who have facial hair in their POF pics...just like I have never initiated contact with guys shorter than me etc. Just personal preference. I have gone out with a number of guys from here who had facial hair and initiated contact with me but we just weren't compatable on many levels, nothing to do with their appearance.

People should do whatever feels most comfortable to them to be themselves. Personally I just love short hair clean shaven...we like what we like
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 123
Posted: 8/23/2011 8:00:53 PM
Whats facial hair? I STILL can't grow a mustache, and I'm 49!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 124
Posted: 8/24/2011 3:35:47 PM
Younger if you dye it.
Older if you don't.
 Fleuron
Msg: 125
Posted: 8/29/2011 1:35:16 PM

Younger if you dye it.
Older if you don't.

Not always.

I really liked William Petersen (CSI) when he wore his beard...it was nice salt and pepper and made him look really smart. Then he shaved it all off and dyed his hair some weird reddish hue that I’m sure was intended to make him look younger. I thought he looked foolish and unattractive and my crush was gone.

Some men look great with facial hair but some can’t really pull it off, no matter how old they are, IMO. Depends on the face.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 3:11:35 PM
once I got out of high school ... I can't recall ever seriously dating a man who DID NOT have facial hair! 1st hubby had dark hair and a serious Tom Sellick mustache! 2nd husband was blond and had a blond mustache!

all of my sons sport facial hair ... they mix it up ... the youngest son, who has strawberry blond hair, usually wears a mustache and a sporty little goatee that comes in even redder than his hair ... the older two sons are dark and usually have mustaches!

TO ME ... if a man doesn't have some sort of facial hair ... he doesn't look masculine ... without facial hair ... their faces look naked!

in this day when women can do almost everything men can do ... I like distinctions! LAFFIN ... viva la differance ... I LIKE mustaches on a man!

just my 2 cents worth ...
 joemac356
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:09:31 PM
I've gone through several phases, regarding face gardening, something women miss out on.
Just imagine, Ladies, being able to fool with very different looks, all with the snip from scissors or the swipe of a razor. To go from half of your face covered with a natural mask, to creating a pair of trails that leave a pair of sideburns (sideboards) and a 'stache and goat. Then, after a few weeks or months, (years?), it's all gone.
Then, after a time, it's back. Or maybe it's just the 'stache...
Major facial change without surgery, that's easily reversible, all according to your mood (or someone else's).

I've had a moustache at least, since I was twenty. I had a long black beard and a pony tail for a dozen years, then a Beatle cut and a 'stache for another dozen. I've since gone through shorter phases of hair/facial hair, usually having a full beard in Winter. After the beard turned mostly grey, I stopped having a warm face when the cold winds blew. Until this past Winter. I was glad to have it on a few cold early mornings as a firefighter, outside in the ice and snow. Then, I saw a photo of myself carrying some hose and I looked old.

A few years ago, on a whim, I shaved off the 'stache that had been there for decades. Everyone who knew me hated how I looked. I thought I looked like my younger sister. I love my sister, but I don't want to look like her.
A woman is going to find me attractive or she isn't. This is me. This is how I look.
I'm not dictated by fashion. I had my hair cut a few months ago and I think I'll keep it like this for a while. Mum likes it. But I don't want to look like her, either.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Facial hair on men over 45 - make them look older or younger - why?