Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Most Overrated Destinations      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bell30655
Msg: 26
Most Overrated DestinationsPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Walt Disney World overrated? Surely you jest. My daughter and I feel that we must make at least one pilgrimage a year to the giant human trap operated by a mouse down in Orlando. I rack it up as part of the cost of parenting a daughter. Of course, she wants to be a princess. There is that special look in her eye when Cinderella leans down and poses for a photo with her and then of course I have to break out the Visa to purchase a print of the photo and a frame and well, you get the idea.

Last year my daughter got her hair, makeup and nails done at the Bippity Bobbity Boutique just before we ate at Cinderella's Royal Table inside of the castle. Those photos still bring back memories of what to date is the happiest day of her six years on this planet.
 Bell30655
Msg: 27
Most Overrated Destinations
Posted: 8/23/2009 11:59:39 AM
Back when I was in the Army a few of us went to Paris to take in the sights. We had a great day but had the same experience at a restaurant that you did. They snubbed us. My girlfriend at the time was Dutch. After our meal which we did finally get she asked to speak to the manager. When the manager came over in fluent French she explained to him what horrible waitstaff he had she then went on to tell him what comments the waiters had been making about our group. She produced what she told him was media credential from the Dutch newspaper that she worked for and he began blubbering apologies. He tore up our bill and berated the entire staff as we were leaving.

When we got outside of the restaurant I told her that I didn't know that she worked for a newspaper. Laughing she showed me her Dutch library card. She was counting on the fact that he couldn't read Dutch or German. We all had a great laugh on the train.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/23/2009 1:11:18 PM
Disney World, for sure.
Florida as a whole...gee, don't know why, but oppressive humidity, flat topography and giant flying roaches* just don't appeal to me. ~shrugs~
The typical beach vacation in the summer, on any beach.

*euphemistically referred to as "palmetto bugs". Yeah, right.
 bump4bump
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/23/2009 9:07:38 PM
Honolulu ...Thought it was dirty, all things considered. Never realized until after I arrived that there is nowhere to send garbage other than into the ocean.
 leggs luther
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/24/2009 6:36:49 PM
Rome. I left there saying to my friends: "When in Rome ... no, wait, don't go to Rome, Rome sucks."
 ashlybstn
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/24/2009 7:48:39 PM
hawaii .... too far too expensive bugs too big not a fan of centipedes or flying****oaches
Posted: 8/25/2009 3:38:20 PM
Paris!! Food wasn't to my taste, very crowded, DANGEROUS!!!, and freezing cold in the spring time!! yuck
 gjay1
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/27/2009 4:01:47 PM

Rome. I left there saying to my friends: "When in Rome ... no, wait, don't go to Rome, Rome sucks."

how could you not love rome??? i had the best time there! lovely people, awesome history, food to die for......

actually, i cant think of anywhere ive been and not enjoyed!! so maybe is just me, i have fun wherever i am!
 1arewethereyet
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/28/2009 10:19:32 PM
hehe you so right, thailand smelt to newzealand smells good though
 Lee494528
Msg: 35
Overrated Vegas, baby!
Posted: 8/31/2009 1:55:40 PM
Yeah from what I have heard from friends, Las Vegas is overrated. The only place that is worth visiting is the main strip. Anywhere outside of that it there isn't much going on. One of my roomates and I are planning on driving there within the next month. How much spending cash do you think I should allow for?
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/31/2009 9:06:03 PM
Yeah, I was dissapointed in Austrailia. However, I would love too go back. With all the nationals I've met abroad, I would like too think the majority of all are nice. However, it seems a % of certain nationals are different in certain ways. Many of the aussies I've met, are strange. They tend too be heavy drinkers, and many seem rather smug. I also know of others who have concurred with me.
 gjay1
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/1/2009 2:22:17 PM

Yeah, I was dissapointed in Austrailia. However, I would love too go back

wow, where did you travel in oz? what where you expecting that didnt live up to expectations?

Many of the aussies I've met, are strange

ok we are a weird mob, but nice !

They tend too be heavy drinkers, and many seem rather smug. I also know of others who have concurred with me.

there are some areas where there is a heavy drinking culture, but its not everywhere, but smug?? lol most aussies are pretty laid back and i cant imagine how we come across as smug! id be really interested to know where you were to form these opinions
:)
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/1/2009 5:47:35 PM
Mainly in Adelaide. But I met many Aussies in other places as well, like Bali, Indo. I actually became friends with one Aussie. I know the majority are probably nice. Aussies are great musicians. I love the band "Icehouse". I also was not saying that all Aussies are drunks, but boy can they over indulge. The man I ended up friends with, he had withdrawl shakes whenever he was not drinking. And his one other Aussie buddy had a beer in his hand everywhere he went it seemed. The smug thing, well many, they just seemd kind of in love with themselves. But I've also found that it seems some nationals from many so called well off countries are a little that way to at times. Even us Canadiens.
 gjay1
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/2/2009 2:13:12 PM

Mainly in Adelaide.

ah well, even to the rest of us, adelaide mob are a little different lol also, of course getting out of the cities is always the way to meet the real people, hope you come back and check the place out, its great, and some of us can enjoy beer without it being a lifestyle lol
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/2/2009 10:59:13 PM
It's nice to hear you say that, you hope I come back.
 leggs luther
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/3/2009 4:32:33 PM

how could you not love rome??? i had the best time there! lovely people, awesome history, food to die for......

I was being facetious. :) But out of all the places I've been, Rome was the most overrated. I guess Paris was disappointing too, as much of the sites there basically date to Napoleon.

How about ... New Jersey as being overrated?

"I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey. I went there, and it SUCKED!" lol gotta love Weird Al.
 lara2009
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/7/2009 6:09:25 PM
Prague was nice but not as great as everyone says it is; it's a bit run down.
 lara2009
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/7/2009 6:15:23 PM
I agree with you it's not what they make it out to be; very run down.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2009 7:54:56 PM
Found a cheap motel in Vegas (on the strip...$40) played Blackjack in a nearby hotel...left Vegas the next day with $500 profit...expenses included.

Overrated? You betcha! I've found it very "hollow".

Many of my best destinations have been the underrated ones.

I think attitude plays a big part in how one perceives their vacation.
 burpie
Msg: 45
Posted: 9/8/2009 8:13:32 AM
Cairo, the smell of piss was everywhere
 tomkylibritt
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2009 8:43:13 PM
Bahamas not much to see dirty.
Paris rude people. Musuem was a disappointment also. They didn't want to wait on us in restrantrants either.
 Consigliori
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2009 2:45:24 PM
OVERrated? That's tough. That has more to do with the location's reputation than whether or not it deserves high marks - a phenomenon which isn't necessarily the fault of the location. Many of the most famous tourist areas are overrated - Paris, Venice, Munich, Honolulu, Giza, Buenos Aires ... but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy them. They had much to offer - just not what I expected.

The flip side is that some places surprise you. Fer instance I had low expectations of London but really enjoyed it. Maybe we ought to toss the guidebooks out the window and use an atlas instead.
 photoman001
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/28/2009 2:28:17 AM
I think the only thing overrated are you expectations. If you go anywhere with an attitude that you 'deserve to be entertained or surprised' then you will be disappointed. I have travelled far and wide for business and pleasure and enjoy every new place I go to, even the slums of India.

Any city is just a collection of buildings and one is much the same as another.Get to know the people, be interested in them and and how their daily life if different to your. When they see you have a GENUINE interest and want to know them then things change. I have listened to the rubbish about the French being rude but I have a good French mate at home so I went with an open mind. I don't speak French and stopped people on the street and the train stations to ask for help. Everyone did! One young lady spending 15mins even calling friends of hers to find a place we were looking for. I really can't understand what sort of 'holiday experience' people were EXPECTING in vegas, a gambling den of flashy lights started by the mafia?

Try the local food and don't go around trying to find fish & chips, talk to the REAL people not just shopkeepers and hotel staff. Get out of the cities and see the place. Move away from the big shopping centres and head down some of the back lanes and quiet places. I guarantee I could even have a good time in your city finding things that you didn't even know were there.
 BorneoBabe
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/28/2009 11:27:39 PM

Dubai

Singapore

London

Glasgow

Jakarta

...and all of Malaysia

view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 2:15:21 PM
I enjoyed London. I spent 10 days and would love to go back. I must admit my expectations were low, but I suppose that has more to do with one's weltansicht than it does the location.
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Most Overrated Destinations