Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aremeself
Msg: 1185
view profile
History
Evolution.Page 47 of 64    (24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64)
alan

101 Greatest George Carlin Quotes

6.I wanna live. I don’t wanna die. That’s the whole meaning of life: Not dying! I figured that shit out by myself in the third grade

15 The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept

my favourite one;

17.Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.

43.Catholic — which I was until I reached the age of reason.
 60to70
Msg: 1186
Evolution.
Posted: 5/18/2011 9:28:21 PM
What I meant is that I do not support ignorance is bliss but neither do I support or have any loyalty to the obscuring of vision and the lack of humility that over education leads to. In practical matters you'd better have a good surgeon when you need one and a good mechanic when you need one...otherwise....direct your attention to the part of you that has not been conditioned by either ignorance or a wall full of diplomas and testaments to your hubris. Frankly...evolution into adulthood is filled with obstacles to creating a comm0n and sensible goodness...for all. Inquisitiveness in the final analysis benefits the common good.
 60to70
Msg: 1187
Evolution.
Posted: 5/18/2011 9:34:42 PM
note to Krebby....still the crowing of the roosters...sooner rather than later...Krebby being justifiably ignored in his flappery while he crows. So there. na na na na. Yay for debate....always ....and nay to sharp and useless sarcasm.
 60to70
Msg: 1188
Evolution.
Posted: 5/19/2011 1:14:21 AM
Well, krebby... whoever awknowledges you or not.. is really not a measure of how wrong you may or may not be. And ...absurd doesn't bother me. I am able to discern. Get that? Discern. I can do that!! wow.
Glen Beck and Sarah Palin are Americans. Period.
k.offishal needs to visit some National Park where he is subject to only himself and silence.
Evolution: women carry a child for nine months and give birth. Men don't.
Evolution: Men are lost without women. A man without a relationship or a woman lives a shorter life than a woman in the same circumstance. Well...understandable.
Life is C'est La Vie.
 60to70
Msg: 1189
Evolution.
Posted: 5/20/2011 9:35:04 PM
Evolution is always about winners. Too bad. So much is lost when not checking in with the losers. Always and forever. What is a loser? Not what is always respresented as a loser. Losers often hold more truth and knowledge than will ever be awknowledged. Even if roaches and alligators and flora and fauna ...and when was the last time you considered Nature as something capable of mercy? Master plans, master plans....hee, hee.
 60to70
Msg: 1190
Evolution.
Posted: 5/20/2011 9:37:41 PM
...and when was the last time you considered human beings as a whole...capable of mercy? Don't hold your breath.
 60to70
Msg: 1192
Evolution.
Posted: 5/20/2011 11:57:42 PM
Now that...is a recipe for nothingness. So lacking in mercy and richness. So go and grow up and foul the earth and have some kids or not..and then just get old and friggen die. Your purpose is more than this silly recipe for hot dogs ...easy to cook, hard to digest. Give me a break. Really.
 60to70
Msg: 1194
Evolution.
Posted: 5/21/2011 12:52:20 AM
No you won't. Ever. Belittle...who belittles who? Not me. I know what is wisdom and what is just a propelling of physical and egotistical expulsion. For, friggen, sure. I am on the far side of illusion.
 60to70
Msg: 1196
Evolution.
Posted: 5/21/2011 1:43:24 AM
Yep..I am old. It ain't easy but its easier than being young and so certain. Been there, done that. It was good...but it ended. Evolution is up for argument. Happening right now....sort of backwards. All that originates does not spread its supposed benefits anywhere but in some kind of less than original love in with the progress that benefits nobody but the fortunate. Whatever, whatever. The meek shall inherit the earth and santa claus and god will join hands and sing...."""told you so, told you so...."""" la la la de dah.""" Actually...can't prove god exists...but neither does black and white prove anything, either. Evolution: genes can take you back in mind, in mind to some silly aunt or uncle who never got respect but was the prophet that got denied in their own town. Well. Be very open and cautious. A fine and necessary balance. Sleep well.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1197
view profile
History
Evolution.
Posted: 5/21/2011 9:05:56 AM
Agreed. Thanks for bringing in the newer "group evolution" ideas, I had not thought of them before. There is SO much we are learning right now.
The interactive way that life happens makes it harder fro me to categorize everything, the more I learn.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1198
view profile
History
Evolution.
Posted: 5/21/2011 2:48:05 PM
I've come to be certain that everything has it's function. What seems to be VERY important beyond the basic facts, sorting, and theoretical structures we learn about from each other, is the NEXT level of realization: which is, that the student, or wisdom seeker if you will, must come to understand that things like categorization are TOOLS to understanding the whole of reality, but they are not reality itself.
I have worked to make myself increasingly comfortable to more or less carry around a set of "frames of reference," much like empty picture frames, which I periodically pull out of my mental rucksack, and hold up to the world around me, look through them, and use them to help myself to comprehend what I see. I then TAKE DOWN the frames from my viewpoint, so that they don't BLOCK my sight, so that I can look again at the world, and see how the structure also does NOT apply.
In the use of SIMILE I work to keep the same things in mind: that the simile is a MODEL of what I am trying to grasp, it is not a cage that reality can be thrust into. I apply a "gentling" concept, like a salve to my reasoning, that both respects what I can perceive through rationality, but also keeps me mindful that I am not without limits to understanding at any time. There is always more to be learned. I then bolster my "backbone" by confidently moving forward with what I believe to be REASONABLE certain knowledge. I sometimes call it "contingency living."

Kreb: this fellow who you say "that we sort of "know" this stuff all along, but somehow don't "connect the dots"" reminds me a lot of good old Socrates, with his method of exciting the students to "recognize what they already know," and perhaps Plato, with his model of understanding the world through essential "forms." Back around the spiral of increasing comprehension and wonder we go!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1199
view profile
History
Evolution.
Posted: 5/22/2011 5:34:24 AM
"Reverse evolution? You got me on that one."

I would say that by definition, all evolution is the same. One's OPINION of the 'direction' or 'value' of a change has no application. Evolution is essentially a mechanical RESULT of the interaction of a species with their environment. Even artificially manipulated evolution, no matter what it was, would be 'forward' evolution, because 'forward' or 'reverse' isn't determined by WHAT changes happen, it's determined by the direction we move through TIME.
Thus, if the human species became again identical to our great to the nth ancestors, it would still be FORWARD evolution, because we would be moving becoming such in response to the demands of our environment.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1200
view profile
History
Evolution.
Posted: 5/22/2011 10:17:56 AM
" parasitizes a crab and becomes sessile." I shall have to hang onto that phrase, it sounds to be a marvelous way to tell someone I care deeply for them. "I would like to parasitize you and becomes sessile."
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1201
Evolution.
Posted: 5/22/2011 10:30:17 AM
There's a parasite that lives in the brains of rats, but only reproduces in the digestive system of cats. So they take over the rat's brain and send it out to find a cat to kill it. Zombie rats with a death wish.

I think that's the next stage of evolution. Some parasite will evolve to take over our brains and turn us into zombies. I'm constantly on the lookout for this next stage and I'm pretty sure I've met a whole bunch of people who have already been colonized. I think they spread through coitus, and their hosts are over represented on dating sites as a result.

Just something to keep in mind the next time you go for a "coffee date."
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1202
Evolution.
Posted: 5/22/2011 10:36:56 AM

Have you read "The Puppet Masters" by Robert Heinlein?

Damn! I'm pretty sure he just stole my idea then went back in time to write the book. Cause I haven't read it, but I will now and sue him for copyright infringement and have him arrested for Time Crime.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 1203
view profile
History
Evolution.
Posted: 5/22/2011 1:54:37 PM
Krebby...Did you read Joe Bageant's "The Ants of Gaia". The guy can out-curmuggeon most of us any day with one hand tied around his back.
http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2007/07/the-ants-of-gai.html
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 1204
view profile
History
Evolution.
Posted: 5/22/2011 4:04:15 PM
I just found out today, that Joe passed away a couple of months ago. I knew he was ill but had no idea how rapidly terminal it was. Both of his books cut to the chase. There is a book of his top 25 of 75 essays still available online at the link. He saw what was coming and was scoffed at back in the day. He saw the devolution of the American dream and the liquidation of our life support system and railed against it. Raise a glass of cheer for his time well spent on this Earth.
 60to70
Msg: 1205
Evolution.
Posted: 5/23/2011 6:45:02 PM
Creationists are busy multiplying. Here..just for your sake..explain to me why you will never be able to explain creation. If I was a creationist, I would say God. If I were you, I would say...on and on, and...on and on...and ? Who is right? You? Them? Life!!!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 1206
Evolution.
Posted: 5/23/2011 7:58:04 PM
Hold on here. You mean science is giving me something I can use?

I find a woman with herpes. "Somehow" introduce some stress into her life. She wants to have sex. By being boorish, I get rewarded with hot sex. Winning!!!
 60to70
Msg: 1207
Evolution.
Posted: 5/23/2011 8:12:01 PM
If you are dumb enough to contract sexual disease because you just want it....you know...get your rocks off..you probably have been ignoring a lot of practical sexual transmission disease knowledge and well....good luck. Spontaneous sexual desire is something to ....avoid...these days. Maybe. No accounting for foolishness. Sex is nothing more than a sharing of....ummm...bodily fluids. sigh and lol.
 60to70
Msg: 1208
Evolution.
Posted: 5/23/2011 8:37:29 PM
...and then there is the sharing of more than silly fools laughing heartily on some nameless floor. Happy sex to you too. Good sex is always more than the act. And..at some point I will also add crazy characters jumping up and down and laughing in a hyena fashion. lol. lol. lol.
 60to70
Msg: 1210
Evolution.
Posted: 6/1/2011 10:27:45 PM
Evolution: an oymoron. Surely. No? How about the greatest hoax ever perputuated?
 lyingcheat
Msg: 1211
view profile
History
Evolution.
Posted: 6/2/2011 2:21:32 AM

Evolution: an oymoron. Surely. No? How about the greatest hoax ever perputuated?

Perputuated? Surely you mean perpetrated. Let me guess. That a certain someone actually has something meaningful to contribute to any thread? Besides cutesy lil sayings?

Are spelling mistakes and *incorrect usage an advance, or a backward step?
Devolution or evolution?

Because... "oymoron" isn't a word either. Presumably she means 'oxymoron', though it's used incorrectly since oxymorons are self contradictory figures of speech, or phrases. It's impossible for a single word to be, ipso facto, an oxymoron.
 bobbyjo1957
Msg: 1212
view profile
History
Evolution.
Posted: 6/11/2011 12:51:59 PM
I'm sorry, this is just sad. this is the modern day equivalent of the church suppressing Galileo and others who tried to show the reality of the solar system. I sincerely doubt that anyone could read On the origin of species without realizing that it is a beautiful description of a great truth. Try it.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 1213
Evolution.
Posted: 6/11/2011 6:23:42 PM

I sincerely doubt that anyone could read On the origin of species without realizing that it is a beautiful description of a great truth. Try it.

Thanks, but Ancestor's Tale is enough of a marathon for me, right now! But a couple friends of mine did read it and they tell me it was a wonderful read.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >